Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Quantum Wagon-126k

1. 01-10-2012 08:35 PM #1
      Joe Giambrone
      908-482-2852
      giambronejoe [at] gmail [dot] com

The car has been in the family since 60k/20 years ago practically.

Always maintained, nothing too quirky about it since we have had it. My grandfather used it to pick up fire wood and move things about the property. Auto shifts well and doesn't slip or jump. Car idles great. All the doors lock/unlock, heat is hot, exhaust is all redone and just passed NJ inspection for Jan 2013. Bumps and bruises, crack in the grill, rust bubbles in about 3 spots that are very small and showing its age with the paint, but the interior is flawless and the car is 100% stock.

What is it worth? 1500, I am motivated to make the garage space open up

I can take more pictures if you would like. It is parked at my job currently under a covered outdoor garage. Car is getting driven to my condo complex where my neighbor will be detailing it this week. Need to make room for a race car shell I bought and am getting shipped from the west coast.

Again these are poor quality iPhone pictures. The car will be detailed now that I have sealed my previously mentioned sale of a race car shell.

Car is located in South NJ near Princeton.

Typical hood fade in the clear:

More fade on the hood:

power mirrors do not work, it has no A/C since the compressor seized up some years back. Pass side rear window does not go up/down and has been set in the up position. E-brake is stretched, but on an automatic car never was a worry over the years. It has the spare, it has had a tune up within the past year. New wheel bearings and brake lines recently within memory. radio works, everything functions inside as it should. Has owners manual/documentation. Has the huge Audi/VW book that goes with it covering all items on the car and wiring.

I have had VW's on and off my whole life, and as an enthusiast I would like to see this heirloom go to a good enthusiast home. It will be worth every dollar and you'll be the third owner.
      Last edited by 908joe; 02-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.

2. 01-10-2012 08:54 PM #2
      forgot to add its a 5cyl. key works to lock/unlock all doors. radio is original and working. no CEL or anything. I haven't used the cruise control but I can drive it tomorrow to find out since its been so long. started right up today and idled fine warmed right up.

3. 01-11-2012 07:55 AM #3
      bump

4. 01-13-2012 07:51 AM #4
      BUMP.

Drove it about 150 miles the past 3 days. Cruise control works. Idles perfectly, starts perfectly in 30* weather.

Took it to Old Skool and had dave look it over and he agrees on how well the car looks/runs.

Someone make me an offer, take it for a spin. No surprises

5. 01-13-2012 01:37 PM #5
      Bump

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS TDI
      01-13-2012 01:47 PM #6
      Wish you were closer, that automatic would be perfect for my wife...

7. 01-15-2012 02:26 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TeamSpatula View Post
      Wish you were closer, that automatic would be perfect for my wife...
      How far are you from NJ?

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS TDI
      01-17-2012 11:19 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 908joe View Post
      How far are you from NJ?
      Western NC, looks to be about 600 miles.

9. 02-24-2012 09:58 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TeamSpatula View Post
      Western NC, looks to be about 600 miles.
      I would meet you somewhere that I could get a train ride home if you were really interested. I would have no problem taking a day off work for that

Bump up. Drove it again recently, started right up. Took a couple more pictures, just with my phone.

It needs a wash, I just need to get time to bring out the powerwasher.

10. 02-27-2012 08:18 AM #10
      bump.

dropped my GLI off to get suspension put on and some other maintenance before I try to sell it. Been driving this for the past 2 days. Just filled up yesterday, I can see what kind of gas mileage it gets.

11. 02-28-2012 08:48 AM #11
      Bump.

Just had the inside detailed locally. Really looks new. No cracks in the plastics anywhere.

Original air pump still located with original spare and jack in the back hatch I found too. Rear window squirter still works, and well.

I have been driving it 10 miles to and from work this week so far since my GLI is at the shop.

Love to see it go to someone who wants a clean driver!

12. 02-28-2012 03:33 PM #12
      bump

13. 03-07-2012 10:15 AM #13
      bump it back up. just found all of the original paperwork and booklets that came with the car originally.

Pass these on with the new owner. I'll probably be driving the car back and forth to work in the meantime because I am attempting to sell my MK5 and it seems like there is much less interest in it than I thought

bump!

14. 03-14-2012 11:51 AM #14
      Bump, drove it to the airport and parked for 3 nights for work while traveling and it started right back up and drove all the way home in this awesome weather.

Its about 500 miles away from 130,000 so I will be doing an oil change and putting the car on a lift to see. 2000 mile oil change intervals

15. Semi-n00b
      03-14-2012 11:38 PM #15
      What kind of mpg are you getting with it?

16. 03-15-2012 09:16 AM #16
      I logged the last two full tanks (93 oct) and this is what I came up with. Its actually damn inpressive!

17. 03-19-2012 09:09 AM #17
      Did some cleaning this weekend and found a bunch of cool paperwork. Original 1987 booklets ( 3 i believe, warranty info, service and manuals) and window sticker and a few other cool pieces that will make the new owner happy.

bump

18. 03-20-2012 07:49 AM #18
      bump.

my girlfriend went for a ride with me yesterday briefly and thought it would be important to future owners that yes, the vanity light that surrounds the mirror on the passenger side works properly.

19. 03-22-2012 09:47 AM #19
      130,000 miles today.

Picking up my 4runner this weekend (hopefully), then I can clean it up good and park it until someone wants it. BUMP

Vehicles
      70 squareback, 01 volvo xc70, 99 jetta wolf
      03-22-2012 04:06 PM #20
      this wagon would make a perfect addition to my squareback and my wife's volvo wagon, I have a thing for wagons if you couldn't tell. so handy to hall tools, mountain bikes, kids, even to sleep in on rainy camping trips. anyway I know you can't say for sure but are their any issues you could see that would red flag it for a pa inspection?tires, brakes, any service records? any rust at all? Thanks

Frank

21. 03-23-2012 08:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by fgrosso5 View Post
      this wagon would make a perfect addition to my squareback and my wife's volvo wagon, I have a thing for wagons if you couldn't tell. so handy to hall tools, mountain bikes, kids, even to sleep in on rainy camping trips. anyway I know you can't say for sure but are their any issues you could see that would red flag it for a pa inspection?tires, brakes, any service records? any rust at all? Thanks

Frank
      Frank,

I dont know for certain about what is involved for an inspection in PA, but I have daily driven the car without worry for the past 2000 miles while I am in between cars.

The brakes work well, but I cant say with 100% certainty how much brake pad is left. There are no squeaks or squeals, and there is good pedal feel. I haven't had the wheels off to inspect, mainly because I haven't had a need to. The tires all have good tread, I know in NJ they used to fail you if you had a bubble in the tire or the tread was low. Like I said I comfortably drive the car to and from work and picking up my daughter with it.

There are very small rust spots, but nothing outside what is to be expected in a 25 year old car. There isnt any late-90's Ford truck wheel well rot going on at all. When I say rust spots, I mean there are literally 2, maybe 3? and they're more bubbles than "spots".

Don't have all of the service records, but I am the 3rd owner and have everything, including window sticker, all original documentation and such. The car starts right up, idles, doesn't smoke or hesitate, has always run on 93oct and synthetic's. The auto trans can be put under load climbing a hill and does not slip, it doesn't bang into gears and want to act like a tired old automatic trans should. It's a very solid older car.

Honestly, as it is, it's for sale, but I am still going to be driving it at least once a week to work to keep the blood flowing. It gets 25mpg, and looks cool doing it (subjective LOL )

EDIT: I don't know how well this relates at all, but I did drive the car through a state (public, not paid for) inspection facility here in NJ and the car passed emissions flawlessly and got a sticker in January. Being said the car does have a very new exhaust from the manifold back (no rust/rattles like the stocker) including cat and muffler. Hope that helps some with the inspection questions.
      Last edited by 908joe; 03-23-2012 at 08:55 AM.

22. 03-26-2012 03:57 PM #22
      bump it up after the weekend. Just got an oil change.

car will be entered in show and go with intentions of selling it! come and see it and make me an offer. I would like to leave without the car if possible!

bump bump bump

23. Semi-n00b
      03-27-2012 10:20 PM #23
      I'm interested I just have to get my car sold before I would have the cash...

24. 03-28-2012 09:22 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Allnighter View Post
      I'm interested I just have to get my car sold before I would have the cash...
      Well it would make a great driver for someone, I really enjoy the 5cyl sound. Dont notice how much until I get in my 4runner and its absolutely silent

Car is still here, and very much for sale!

25. 04-04-2012 08:04 AM #25
      Ended up buying another SRT4 project to add to the stable. I need the spance to get the motor swapped out of this car, so I am willing to take 1200 for the car before I have to clean it all up and drive it to Show and Go with a for sale sign on it.

If anyone is interested I would like to sell it sooner rather than later. thanks guys!

26. 04-05-2012 10:54 AM #26
      bump it up guys, I really dont have room for another car sitting in my condo parking lot. Someone come get a ride and drive this thing away with a smile on your face!

27. 04-09-2012 08:55 AM #27
      bump it up guys

28. Semi-n00b
      04-09-2012 11:16 PM #28
      trying to come up with the scratch, hope it's still available when I get it together if not, good buy for whoever gets it and bump up for a nice dub!

29. 04-10-2012 09:05 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Allnighter View Post
      trying to come up with the scratch, hope it's still available when I get it together if not, good buy for whoever gets it and bump up for a nice dub!
      thanks for the bump. drove the car to work this morning so I can wash all the pollen off of it today on the way home

30. 04-10-2012 02:03 PM #30
      up up up

31. 04-16-2012 09:52 AM #31
      Couldn't make it to waterfest, sadly, had some family stuff come up that wasn't resolved until late afternoon.

Still want this car gone everyone, Drives too well to not be driven now!

accepting offers, motivated seller!

32. 04-17-2012 09:32 AM #32
      covered in pollen. come for a ride and get a car wash and drive it home!

33. 04-17-2012 03:09 PM #33
      bump for offers!!

34. 04-17-2012 10:25 PM #34
      Bump up for a nice ride.
      If you still have it when the tax man pays up you will be the first to know.

35. Semi-n00b
      04-18-2012 12:41 AM #35
      PM sent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast