Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: So, I need some new work clothes

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      01-10-2012 09:48 PM #1
      Over the past few years I have lost about 50lbs and gone from a fat sack of crap to a quasi-fat sack of crap. All of the clothes I have are from when I weighed 240lbs. For the most part it is faded Ralph Lauren polo shirts and no-name khaki pants. I didn't want to spend a lot on clothes because, frankly, who was I going to impress? I have also never been into style. I am mainly a jeans and t-shirt or jeans and polo type of guy when I go out.

But, being I have lost a bunch of weight and continue to lose a pound or two a week I think its time to step my game up a little bit. I don't really know where to look though.

I like the look that Pete from The League has and would like to somewhat emulate it. We are business causal at work and I am pretty sure it would fit well within the policy.

Examples of Pete for those who don't watch the show.

Guy in the middle

on the left

Also, black shoes. I don't want something too dressy as I like going out after work for drinks. One of my managers wears black cowboy boots to the office so something that is "dressy casual" would work.

I don't have a huge budget at this point but that's fine. I don't want to buy anything crazy expensive until I hit my target weight.
      Last edited by kenny301; 01-10-2012 at 09:51 PM.

2. 01-11-2012 04:57 PM #2
      For the shoes, a good inky black cap-toe oxford would be your best bet. This is a pair of shoes you can wear for many, many years in many occasions, so spending a good amount for a good pair is worth it. Johnston & Murphy and Ecco are good at the entry level, if you can stretch to afford Allen-Edmonds you would be in great shape for many years.

For the main clothing, if you are sure you are going to keep losing weight and that you aren't going to be in these clothes for long, then I would buy relatively inexpensive shirts and pants from Gap or something similar. No point buying higher quality clothing if it's going to be hanging off you in a few months. Start with the basics: grey, navy, khaki pants; solid and simply patterned shirts. White and light blue dress shirts can be worn with virtually anything.

Match your belt to your shoes. Match your socks to your pants. Keep your shirt tucked in, especially at work.

Vehicles
      '08 Mazda3 and a temperamental Fox Body
      01-11-2012 05:10 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      For the shoes, a good inky black cap-toe oxford would be your best bet. This is a pair of shoes you can wear for many, many years in many occasions, so spending a good amount for a good pair is worth it. Johnston & Murphy and Ecco are good at the entry level, if you can stretch to afford Allen-Edmonds you would be in great shape for many years.

For the main clothing, if you are sure you are going to keep losing weight and that you aren't going to be in these clothes for long, then I would buy relatively inexpensive shirts and pants from Gap or something similar. No point buying higher quality clothing if it's going to be hanging off you in a few months. Start with the basics: grey, navy, khaki pants; solid and simply patterned shirts. White and light blue dress shirts can be worn with virtually anything.

Match your belt to your shoes. Match your socks to your pants. Keep your shirt tucked in, especially at work.
      Exactly this BTW, hit up the clearance rack at your local department stores for good deals on dress shirts, especially if you might not be in the same size very long. Usually you can find stacks and stacks of perfectly good shirts marked down to $10 or $15 each.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI '14 Jetta
      01-11-2012 09:37 PM #4
      I need to go shopping for new clothes
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      01-18-2012 10:52 AM #5
      My favorite clothes to wear to the office are a pair of khakis, Clarks brown shoes, and a neatly ironed custom/tailored fit button down shirt.

Marshall's and TJMax are great places to check out for some nice button down shirts. I've gotten a TON of Polo and Nautica shirts for great prices.

Vehicles
      13 Focus ST, 93 CBR900RR
      01-18-2012 02:18 PM #6
      J Crew is a good in the middle brand IMO. If you plan on losing more weight, just buy stuff from the sale sections. I'm in the same boat as you, I change my weight frequently (for weight class purposes) so I have equal amounts of L and XL stuff. Try and find Slim Fit shirts as they will look decent even when you get smaller.

Shoes depend entirely on budget.

7. 02-06-2012 09:42 AM #7
      I'm a big fan of Dress for Success. Not only do they provide career counseling and training for women living in poverty, but they also supply an interview suit and a week's worth of work outfits to women using their services. The lack of professional clothes should never be an obstacle to getting a new job.