Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 205 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk.VI Jetta "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      01-20-2012 10:34 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by CWVWJ View Post
      OK, here is my stupid question... I want to add the chrome accent strip to the lower grille without replacing it. I've seen a couple people doing this and I wanted to know what millimeter chrome strip I need?
      can someone answer this please?

2. 01-21-2012 11:06 AM #102
      Does the SE have ESP, or any kind of stability
      program. I'm thinking no, because of the rear drums brakes.
      Please let me know if I'm wrong. It's snowing out and I'm really missing
      my Quattro that I had since 2003.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 MK6 Jetta
      01-21-2012 12:25 PM #103
      Very stupid, how do you change the headlight bulb?

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT
      01-21-2012 05:30 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by simonrjones View Post
      Silver is safer, plus you'll have less chance of buyers remorse after the fact. Gold at first was striking, but i fear it could get old fast. gun metal?..IMO..why bother?
      +1 for silver
      Garage List:
      2011 Jetta Sedan 6MT TDi
      2010 Nissan Murano
      2007 Toyota Tacoma
      2007 BMW E93 N54 Stage II Dinan

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE
      01-21-2012 05:57 PM #105
      this really isn't stupid but I know it can be answered here...I need to buy some wiper blades I've tried the two that wal-mart' applicator said would work on the 2011 VW Jetta SE 2.5L it was the michelin and the rain-x latitude, neither one of the PTB applicators will fit on the new arm they are made for the mk5 arm. So who has ever replaced their wiper blades with non OE wiper blades please tell me what you used.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      01-21-2012 06:40 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
      DPF delete FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by gruven_diesel View Post
      soot (black smoke you see on old diesel) gets trapped into the particulate filter right after the turbo. as more soot gets trapped into the filter it becomes filled (clogged) there are two pressure differential sensors on before and one after the DPF to determine exactly how full it is.
      so in order to empty the filter, the vehicle goes into a regen mode which is done at highway speeds. on this engine i believe a late fuel injection cycle is fired into the combustion chamber to super heat the dpf and burn off all soot inside. and it gets really really ****ing hot!
      so thats why all new diesel exhaust tips with a dpf system are clean! no carbon, no soot.

also these engines are meant to be driven not over idled or city driving. they need a good highway blast to clean the filter out. if not than they will eventually clog the dpf and thats big money to replace.
      The regen cycle doesn't just work at highway speeds it can be done at an idle too mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by gruven_diesel View Post
      when my warranty expires so does the dpf lol
      ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Apk_Joe View Post

lolrg by Mk4_Joe, on Flickr

don't like?
      Ugliest Effin VW I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jettsy View Post
      can someone answer this please?
      Do you not know how ridiculously easy it is to remove that lower piece? Total time to replace is about a min.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE
      01-21-2012 07:04 PM #107
      ok what about this one..

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      01-21-2012 07:07 PM #108
      ok what about this one..

Much better but something needs to be down to the lower grille. Looks very bland for a GTI/GLI look

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE 2.5
      01-21-2012 07:58 PM #109
      Ok, here goes. My stupid question comes in two parts.

First, how are the trunks between the Mk V and the Mk VI Jetta? A friend of mine online has a sub box that is custom fitted for the Mk V Jetta that holds two 12" subs and it looks great, but the site lists that the compatibility ends at the 2010 model year with the end of the Mk V. The trunks look very similar, do ya'll think the box will still work in the Mk VI?

This leads me to stupid question number 2: Can I add the factory fender sub to my SE system? I'm used to American cars and they usually just make one wiring harness and put it in a car rather than make multiple harnesses. In a lesser optioned car, you can usually find the wiring provisions for the more upscale options and add them if you wanted. Is this true for the Jetta as well?
      - Matt <Delta Chi> "LEGES"
      Candy White 2012 Jetta SE 2.5L 5-Speed - Daily
      Onyx Black 2001 Trans Am - The Toy
      Regatta Blue 1973 Firebird - The Project
      Bright Red 1994 Trans Am - The OTHER Project

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT
      01-21-2012 09:11 PM #110
      My turn:

Recently bought my '11 Jetta TDi and I am seriously considering a HID projector swap. Before you reply with the "search" responses...I have searched across TDi Forum, VWVortex, VWOC, YouTube, Google, etc...and have found conflicting information on the subject...

Is there a detailed step by step write-up on how to pull the grille and headlight housings off the car?
      Last edited by DINAN E93; 01-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.
      Garage List:
      2011 Jetta Sedan 6MT TDi
      2010 Nissan Murano
      2007 Toyota Tacoma

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      01-21-2012 10:02 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by DINAN E93 View Post
      My turn:

Recently bought my '11 Jetta TDi and I am seriously considering a HID projector swap. Before you reply with the "search" responses...I have searched across TDi Forum, VWVortex, VWOC, YouTube, Google, etc...and have found conflicting information on the subject...

Is there a detailed step by step write-up on how to pull the grille and headlight housings off the car?
      Not that I know of but the front bumper needs to come off before the headlights can be taken out and are held in by 8+ screws, the front grille is super easy to take off.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE
      01-21-2012 10:07 PM #112
      My turn:

there should be somewhere. I know theres about 10 bolts or screws you have to take off under the hood, then theres a couple of screws in the wheel well holding the front bumper those come off then you have 2-4 more bolts to take off when you remove the front bumper then the whole headlight assembly unplug and ready to do whatever...what I have heard tho if you are doing yourself its not like the old days where they just simply come apart..I wish someone would just start mass producing out of their garage...

Think about it you buy the actual headlight online somewhere OEM replacement $564.64

then you get the complete HID parts from TRS - $335

so that total comes out to $900.00

then charge for labor and knowledge

sell retrofit HID on ebay for $1,200

if you send out your headlights then could be somewhere like $600

Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta SE
      01-21-2012 10:10 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Fussgus View Post
      Do you not know how ridiculously easy it is to remove that lower piece? Total time to replace is about a min.

I know its easy, I just don't want to spend $100+ for some chrome when I know there are other options.
      2011 CW Jetta SE w/ Conv. & Sunroof. OEM lip spoiler. ECS Fog Light Kit/Euro switch. ST Coilovers. VMR v701 Gunmetal, 225/40/18.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT
      01-21-2012 10:32 PM #114
      there should be somewhere. I know theres about 10 bolts or screws you have to take off under the hood, then theres a couple of screws in the wheel well holding the front bumper those come off then you have 2-4 more bolts to take off when you remove the front bumper then the whole headlight assembly unplug and ready to do whatever...what I have heard tho if you are doing yourself its not like the old days where they just simply come apart..I wish someone would just start mass producing out of their garage...

Think about it you buy the actual headlight online somewhere OEM replacement $564.64

then you get the complete HID parts from TRS - $335

so that total comes out to $900.00

then charge for labor and knowledge

sell retrofit HID on ebay for $1,200

if you send out your headlights then could be somewhere like $600
      Thanks for the reply - my follow-up question/comment:

I have seen several threads where the grille is off without the bumper being removed. I really prefer to not remove the bumper just to pull the headlight assembly. I know of the 4 torque bolts on top of the grille and the remaining bolts on the headlight assembly, just need to know if the grille comes out without bumper removal?

As for the costs - i'll be buying the light assembly after it has been done, i.e. The Retro-fit Source, so it will be a swap out of the OEM lights.
      Garage List:
      2011 Jetta Sedan 6MT TDi
      2010 Nissan Murano
      2007 Toyota Tacoma

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE
      01-21-2012 10:35 PM #115
      I don't know maybe there is all i know is when I was installing all my LED up front in the headlights I just took the whole assembly out to make it easier and I remember taking off the bumper I just wish I had a lift...I did it all while it was on the floor..

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      01-21-2012 11:09 PM #116
      I didnt ask how to take the lower piece out. I asked for MM of chrome stripping...

Vehicles
      Jetta VI 2.5L
      01-22-2012 12:01 AM #117
      Thanks for the reply - my follow-up question/comment:

I have seen several threads where the grille is off without the bumper being removed. I really prefer to not remove the bumper just to pull the headlight assembly. I know of the 4 torque bolts on top of the grille and the remaining bolts on the headlight assembly, just need to know if the grille comes out without bumper removal?

As for the costs - i'll be buying the light assembly after it has been done, i.e. The Retro-fit Source, so it will be a swap out of the OEM lights.
      You dont have to remove the bumper, but it makes things easier and ensures that it lines up better and installs easier. Idk why people are always willing to take shortcuts and not willing to do it comprehensively.

Do it right or dont do it at all, especially considering you intend to spend hundreds on a retrofit.

&bull;|Sent via Tapatalk Android. Likely pooping or stuck in traffic.|&bull;

Vehicles
      Jetta VI 2.5L
      01-22-2012 12:03 AM #118
      Regardless, I am swapping a ballast and have removed both the grille and entire front bumper before. I will make a video for you all tomorrow.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT
      01-22-2012 02:35 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by SimpleStaple View Post
      You dont have to remove the bumper, but it makes things easier and ensures that it lines up better and installs easier. Idk why people are always willing to take shortcuts and not willing to do it comprehensively.

Do it right or dont do it at all, especially considering you intend to spend hundreds on a retrofit.

Thanks for your input - FTR, I am not looking for any shortcuts, I simply ask the question as I cannot find a consistent response and just want to make sure I am not removing any part that is unnecessary. I too firmly believe in the "do it right" motto...or as we here in the hills say, "measure twice, cut once".
      Garage List:
      2011 Jetta Sedan 6MT TDi
      2010 Nissan Murano
      2007 Toyota Tacoma

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      01-22-2012 10:03 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by jettsy View Post
      I didnt ask how to take the lower piece out. I asked for MM of chrome stripping...
      I was stating how it would be quicker to remover it and replace it with a different one genius. :face palm: I'd rather do that than adding some shatty chrome crap you would come up with...

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      01-22-2012 01:35 PM #121
      I was stating how it would be quicker to remover it and replace it with a different one genius. :face palm: I'd rather do that than adding some shatty chrome crap you would come up with...
      Again not the answer to my question. I didn't ask for an alternate method, I asked for mm of chrome trim...dozens of people of people have used this method and it looks great. If you aren't going to answer the question its best not to reply. It's a stupid question thread, not a stupid answer thread. Thanks for your help anyways and still looking for an answer to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SE with Convience and Sunroof____ 2015 Odyssey Touring
      01-22-2012 01:48 PM #122
      Call me stupid but what to all the acroymns that everyone posts stand for? I am to lazy to go thru a bunch of threads to find some examples, so if you could just respond with some and what they mean thanks.

Vehicles
      Mk6 Passat, Mk1 Jetta Coupe
      01-22-2012 02:53 PM #123
      Is it just me or does the jetta s not have a low windsheild washer fluid symbol? Had nothing on my dash this mourning went to check my fluid and it was bone dry.
      Bigman Vinyls - Contact for custom vinyl and decal work !

Instagram: @Zack_Yoo @Bigman_Vinyls

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI Premium w/ Nav & Appearance
      01-22-2012 08:16 PM #124
      Has anyone been able to get the heated drivers seat memory to work in VCDS? What about teardrop wipe? If so what version of VCDS did you use?

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Jetta MKVI, TDI H'line DSG
      01-22-2012 11:12 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by dh71704 View Post
      Call me stupid but what to all the acroymns that everyone posts stand for? I am to lazy to go thru a bunch of threads to find some examples, so if you could just respond with some and what they mean thanks.
      FTR = For The Record
      FTW = For The Win
      RTFM = Read the e'Ffing Manual
      IDK - I Don't Know
      AFAIK = As Far As I Know
      IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
      IMHO = In My Humble(? ) Opinion

Those are all I can think of.

Page 5 of 205 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast