Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 66

    Thread: Nokia introduces Lumia 900 exclusively for AT&T

    1. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,344
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      01-11-2012 02:56 AM #1


      Coming exclusively to AT&T in the coming months in cyan and matte black, the Nokia Lumia 900 has a 4.3-inch AMOLED ClearBlack Display for rich, bright images both indoors and out, faster connection speeds based on cutting-edge 4G LTE technology, and a long-lasting 1830 mAH battery for enjoying content all day.
      The primary camera includes Nokia’s exclusive Carl Zeiss optics, with large aperture (F2.2) and wide angle focal length (28mm) for high-quality, uncropped images even in low-light conditions. In addition, the Nokia Lumia 900 includes a front-facing camera boasting a large aperture and a wide angle lens that ensures sharp, bright images for high-quality video calling, right out of the box
      Source: http://press.nokia.com/2012/01/09/no...g-lte-network/
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    2. Global Moderator 16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 1999
      Location
      laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Posts
      41,426
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      01-11-2012 11:55 AM #2
      thus far I have not been wowwed with it.
      9.11.01
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

    3. Member GSTGuy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2002
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      7,709
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-11-2012 12:27 PM #3
      Genuine question, what are you looking for in a phone that would wow you? Do any phones currently on the market wow you?
      Misanthrope extraordinaire

    4. 01-11-2012 01:22 PM #4
      I'd rather have an N9 w/Meego.

    5. Member SuperGroove's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2000
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      14,096
      Vehicles
      2007 Mazda Rotary Thingy
      01-11-2012 03:04 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v View Post
      thus far I have not been wowwed with it.
      that makes me feel better about my HTC Radar 4G purchase. What is encouraging, is it seems like the windows phone 7 experience makes all of the Windows phones seem without any distinct personality.

      But I love my windows phone

    6. Member Art Vandelay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2005
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      9,868
      Vehicles
      SVO
      01-11-2012 04:08 PM #6
      WP7 needs a hit, and fast. I don't think this is the one to do it.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

    7. Member HI SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Honolulu
      Posts
      2,826
      01-12-2012 03:36 AM #7
      WP7 needs a hit, like a crackhead needs a hit.

    8. Global Moderator 16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 1999
      Location
      laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Posts
      41,426
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      01-12-2012 11:56 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GSTGuy View Post
      Do any phones currently on the market wow you?

      not really to be honest.
      9.11.01
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

    9. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      01-18-2012 10:36 PM #9
      The phone lacks excitement and personality. Imo, WP7 needs to do one thing really well to complete in this crowded smartphone market.

      It is not the most powerful phone, lacks 4G right now, not the thinnest, lightest, and doesn't have any niche areas.

      I propose MS do something about the phone's lack of tweak-ability. Compare with iOS and Android, WP7 is the least tweak friendly.

    10. Member KeiCar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Posts
      10,317
      Vehicles
      2000 Honda CRV SE / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      01-19-2012 01:27 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      The phone lacks excitement and personality. Imo, WP7 needs to do one thing really well to complete in this crowded smartphone market.

      It is not the most powerful phone, lacks 4G right now, not the thinnest, lightest, and doesn't have any niche areas.

      I propose MS do something about the phone's lack of tweak-ability. Compare with iOS and Android, WP7 is the least tweak friendly.

      And why would a manufacturer make a phone more "tweak" friendly? Look at it from their (making profits) prospective...

      The most I've seen from a manufacturer that aligns with what you are looking at (and me too, i LOVE to tweak) is HTC allowing the boot loader of some of their recent handsets to be unlocked. They actually provide the unlocking tool themselves.

      On the other side, as far as android goes, everyone keeps their phones pretty locked down. Ive just been lucky as I get phones that happen to be popular and have a strong "hacking" following that I've been able to root all of my android phones. Been using a Samsung galaxy s 2 to its fullest ability, but no thanks to Samsung. That is more a thanks to XDA than anything...
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

    11. Member Art Vandelay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2005
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      9,868
      Vehicles
      SVO
      01-19-2012 09:44 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      The phone lacks excitement and personality. Imo, WP7 needs to do one thing really well to complete in this crowded smartphone market.

      It is not the most powerful phone, lacks 4G right now, not the thinnest, lightest, and doesn't have any niche areas.

      I propose MS do something about the phone's lack of tweak-ability. Compare with iOS and Android, WP7 is the least tweak friendly.
      I think allowing sideloading would go a long way. The Windows brand is practically synonymous with acquiring whatever software you want from various sources. Niche app markets could pop up all over and WP7 could become a minor competitor to Android. As it stands, they are trying to out-Apple Apple, which is nearly impossible to pull off.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

    12. Global Moderator 16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 1999
      Location
      laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Posts
      41,426
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      01-20-2012 08:02 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I think allowing sideloading would go a long way. The Windows brand is practically synonymous with acquiring whatever software you want from various sources. Niche app markets could pop up all over and WP7 could become a minor competitor to Android. As it stands, they are trying to out-Apple Apple, which is nearly impossible to pull off.
      perfectly put
      9.11.01
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

    13. 01-20-2012 11:15 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by KeiCar View Post
      And why would a manufacturer make a phone more "tweak" friendly? Look at it from their (making profits) prospective...

      The most I've seen from a manufacturer that aligns with what you are looking at (and me too, i LOVE to tweak) is HTC allowing the boot loader of some of their recent handsets to be unlocked. They actually provide the unlocking tool themselves.

      On the other side, as far as android goes, everyone keeps their phones pretty locked down. Ive just been lucky as I get phones that happen to be popular and have a strong "hacking" following that I've been able to root all of my android phones. Been using a Samsung galaxy s 2 to its fullest ability, but no thanks to Samsung. That is more a thanks to XDA than anything...
      You can heavily tweak Android out of the box, in stock, or skinned form. The UI, and various functionality can be highly altered without root. I think this is what he is referring to.. WP is very rigid and there isn't much you can change.. Differntiation isn't a bad thing.. people like to make things their own.

      And I'm not impressed with the Lumia.. I like the one piece design and curved screen.. but the screen could and should have been bigger (N9 for example), the SoC is lackluster, and it needs to go on a serious diet.
      Last edited by Jesse; 01-20-2012 at 11:21 AM.

    14. Member Power5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2001
      Location
      Cincy, Ohio
      Posts
      5,363
      Vehicles
      '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8 / '11 Sonata white yay
      01-20-2012 06:19 PM #14
      screen is 4.3". Bigger than the N9 which is only 3.9"
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

    15. 01-23-2012 12:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      screen is 4.3". Bigger than the N9 which is only 3.9"
      Oh.. thought this was the Lumia 800, not 900. never mind.

    16. Member Sosl0w's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,900
      01-24-2012 03:49 PM #16
      I personally can't wait for this phone to come out. It is without a doubt a huge step forward for WP and for Nokia. I find it hilarious when people say WP needs something to make it stand out by each vendor. And I immediately know when i read that it's coming from an android user. I'm not sure if you realize but that's actually one of the great things about WP and Apple. The OS is the exact same and uniform across all hardware vendors. I can go from HTC, to Nokia, to Samsung and don't have to worry about a single thing in regards to the OS. I know there going to be the same on each phone so now I only have to pick out which hardware I like the most.

      Microsoft got it spot on imo. Instead of having the HARDWARE vendors trying to come up with ways to make themselves stand out in the software. They locked it down and made them actually make unique and interesting HARDWARE like they are suppose to be doing in the first place! I can't STAND android, the fact that if i get a nexus i have to use regular android, if i get HTC i have to know sense, if i get Samsung i have to learn bada or whatever its called. Its terrible and is the reason android is so damn buggy and crashes constantly. Because programs and applications have to be developed and programmed to work on multiple different systems with different overlays. Its a cluster fuk.

      Have you ever wondered why WP can run faster in most cases using a single core proc compared to Android's dual proc's? Its because MS standardized their OS with requirements across all hardware.

      People talk so much trash on WP without ever even trying it. I've had an android phone for over 2 years now and it wasn't until i started working with a friend developing for WP & android did i realize just how often Android crashes and how bad the battery life really is. You would be amazed at how happy you are when you go from battery pulls 3 times a week to an OS that's almost crash proof. And if you say your Android phone doesn't crash at the least once a week. Your lying to yourself lol.

      And for the record the Lumia 900 and the Titan 2 are 4G phones. So WP does have 4G.
      B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

    17. Member Art Vandelay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2005
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      9,868
      Vehicles
      SVO
      01-24-2012 04:09 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post
      Microsoft got it spot on imo.
      Are you sure? According to Nielsen, WP7 has 1.3% of the market share.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

    18. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,344
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      01-25-2012 01:32 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Are you sure? According to Nielsen, WP7 has 1.3% of the market share.
      He said "imo", you're saying "according to Nielsen".
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    19. 01-25-2012 10:42 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post

      People talk so much trash on WP without ever even trying it. I've had an android phone for over 2 years now and it wasn't until i started working with a friend developing for WP & android did i realize just how often Android crashes and how bad the battery life really is. You would be amazed at how happy you are when you go from battery pulls 3 times a week to an OS that's almost crash proof. And if you say your Android phone doesn't crash at the least once a week. Your lying to yourself lol.

      And for the record the Lumia 900 and the Titan 2 are 4G phones. So WP does have 4G.

      My Galaxy Nexus never crashes, force closes, or freezes, and I never need to pull the battery.

    20. Member Sosl0w's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,900
      01-25-2012 07:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      My Galaxy Nexus never crashes, force closes, or freezes, and I never need to pull the battery.
      This may be true, but your Galaxy Nexus is running 4.0 which 95% of the phones on the market don't have yet.

      Even so.... Your Galaxy Nexus still gets smoked by a windows phone.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZww_C6Zgg
      B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

    21. Member Art Vandelay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2005
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      9,868
      Vehicles
      SVO
      01-25-2012 09:19 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post
      This may be true, but your Galaxy Nexus is running 4.0 which 95% of the phones on the market don't have yet.
      Poor performance and stability problems all but vanished once Froyo became mainstream. I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2012.

      I've yet to meet a single WP7 owner who isn't super defensive about his choice. Why is that?
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

    22. 01-26-2012 10:50 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post
      This may be true, but your Galaxy Nexus is running 4.0 which 95% of the phones on the market don't have yet.

      Even so.... Your Galaxy Nexus still gets smoked by a windows phone.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZww_C6Zgg
      So some guy beat another random guy in a contest to tweet "hello"

      Wow.. GNex got smoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    23. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2004
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      6,150
      01-27-2012 04:24 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Poor performance and stability problems all but vanished once Froyo became mainstream. I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2012.

      I've yet to meet a single WP7 owner who isn't super defensive about his choice. Why is that?
      Why is it I have yet to meet an iPhone owner who doesn't put "sent from my iPhone" or "picture taken with my iPhone" whenever possible?

      Why is it I haven't met a single Android owner who doesn't brag about "my quad-core, 8.1" screen makes my phone the greatest" until the next big Android comes out?

      Most phone owners will defend their choice if they're pushed into a corner and WP7 users are, more often than not, belittled for their choice. As a WP7 user I've seen it first hand. It doesn't particularly bother me as I love my phone and my next one will be another Windows Phone (only this time made by Nokia).

    24. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      01-27-2012 05:30 PM #24
      I actually changed my sig to "Sent from my OG Blackberry"

    25. Member jerk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 28th, 2000
      Location
      Idaho
      Posts
      14,852
      01-27-2012 11:17 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      Why is it I have yet to meet an iPhone owner who doesn't put "sent from my iPhone" or "picture taken with my iPhone" whenever possible?

      Why is it I haven't met a single Android owner who doesn't brag about "my quad-core, 8.1" screen makes my phone the greatest" until the next big Android comes out?
      Because "Sent from my iPhone" is the default signature for email, just like "Sent from my Windows Phone" is the default for all WP7 phones and people don't bother to change them. I leave the sig so people know I'm not at my desk/home, some people may have different reasons.

    26. Member Sosl0w's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,900
      02-01-2012 07:52 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Poor performance and stability problems all but vanished once Froyo became mainstream. I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2012.

      I've yet to meet a single WP7 owner who isn't super defensive about his choice. Why is that?
      Haha that's whats funny. I'm not a WP7 owner. And never have been. I have an android phone and have had one for the past 2 years. So my opinion is coming from having and using android. I can very easily see all of the ways that windows phone is better, it is easier to see it though when you view it from the development side and your using and working with multiple phones on both OS.

      And your Froyo comment couldn't be farther from the truth. Android has just as many bugs now as it did then. Which is why we are still having this convo. And which is why there are droidrage hashs all over twitter. People are really starting to get tired of dealing with android. Windows phone is going to blow up over the next year or two.
      Last edited by Sosl0w; 02-01-2012 at 10:48 AM.
      B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

    27. Member SSj4G60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2001
      Location
      LI/NY
      Posts
      10,209
      02-01-2012 03:35 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post
      And your Froyo comment couldn't be farther from the truth. Android has just as many bugs now as it did then. Which is why we are still having this convo. And which is why there are droidrage hashs all over twitter. People are really starting to get tired of dealing with android. Windows phone is going to blow up over the next year or two.
      What bugs are you experiencing and across how many phones? I rarely hear any complaints from my non tech savvy friends w/ Android phones other than battery life could be better.

    28. Member Art Vandelay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2005
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      9,868
      Vehicles
      SVO
      02-01-2012 03:56 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post
      Windows phone is going to blow up over the next year or two.
      That's how I know you're a fanboy, instead of just a fan. I would honestly be surprised if WP still existed in two years. Research companies rarely bother to even mention WP when discussing market share. You can't even graph it properly because the line would be resting on the X-axis.

      The interface is compelling, but their fate was sealed when they launched two years too late with an incomplete feature set.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

    29. Global Moderator 16v's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 1999
      Location
      laying the smack down from MA for over a decade
      Posts
      41,426
      Vehicles
      '13 allroad, '12 Cdale Bad Boy, '06 3.2 Avant
      02-01-2012 05:37 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I would honestly be surprised if WP still existed in two years.
      9.11.01
      nunc est Bibendum
      10 cylinders 8 rings
      "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person" - Andy Rooney

    30. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,344
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      02-02-2012 03:16 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v View Post
      Then again, operators (one of which I understood you are working at) have expressed that they'd need some more variety to the market with iOS and Android dominating it alone.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    31. Member Sosl0w's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,900
      02-02-2012 09:01 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      That's how I know you're a fanboy, instead of just a fan. I would honestly be surprised if WP still existed in two years. Research companies rarely bother to even mention WP when discussing market share. You can't even graph it properly because the line would be resting on the X-axis.

      The interface is compelling, but their fate was sealed when they launched two years too late with an incomplete feature set.
      Haha I'm most def not a fan boy. I suggest the iPhone to people all the time and have nothing against Apple or its OS. Its stable, feature rich, and built on great hardware. When people ask me about phones and my opinion on what they should get, I suggest WP or the Iphone.

      And no offense but your blinded love for android is really starting to show now. To think WP would be dead in 2 years is just ignorance at its best. Microsoft makes more money off Android than it does WP due to patients. Android's success is paying to develop WP. Its only a matter of time until WP catches on, and if it takes longer than expected... Who cares? Android is footing the bill anyways.

      WP is the underdog. It's new and it breaks all the rules. Microsoft went a completely different direction than Android and the Iphone in terms of UI, look, and feel. That is why I like WP. I want to see it succeed and I'm excited for something new in the market on hardware from Nokia who is also coming back to the market. Fanboy? No. Excited about another option available in the market? Yes
      B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

    32. Member Art Vandelay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2005
      Location
      STL
      Posts
      9,868
      Vehicles
      SVO
      02-02-2012 09:34 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Sosl0w View Post
      It's new and it breaks all the rules.
      I lost it when I got to this part.

      Buy one now, while you still can.
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

    33. Member chickenium's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2007
      Posts
      623
      Vehicles
      2006 Cayman S
      02-02-2012 11:46 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I've yet to meet a single WP7 owner who isn't super defensive about his choice. Why is that?
      Because every discussion about WP7 inevitably ends up with IPhone and Android owners spewing their superiority.
      **** JUST GOT CHAEL

    34. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2004
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      6,150
      02-02-2012 11:49 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by chickenium View Post
      Because every discussion about WP7 inevitably ends up with IPhone and Android owners spewing their superiority.
      Kind of like Mr. Art himself.

    35. Member Sosl0w's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 21st, 2003
      Location
      Fredericksburg, VA
      Posts
      1,900
      02-02-2012 01:37 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by SSj4G60 View Post
      What bugs are you experiencing and across how many phones? I rarely hear any complaints from my non tech savvy friends w/ Android phones other than battery life could be better.
      The biggest complaints I hear are lock ups and having to battery pull, apps crashing/slow/memory leaks/etc, weird behavior in general such as the gyro randomly switching at random times, apps opening on there own etc etc. And of course battery life. But honestly to me that is more on the hardware vender than it is Android itself so I don't count that. Cause my Droid incredible had TERRIBLE battery life but my Galaxy S II has pretty decent battery life imo.
      B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •