VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Florida Woman Run Down by Drunk Driver While Jogging with Dog - And a Twist...

13K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  Turbio! 
#1 ·
CBS News said:
SARASOTA, Fla. -- A 53-year-old Sarasota woman was hit and killed by a drunk driver, according to Florida Highway Patrol troopers.

It happened Saturday afternoon when troopers say Blake C. Talman, 22, was fleeing from another crash scene.

Talman reportedly lost control of his Nissan Altima on State Road 758 north of Glebe Lane when troopers say he struck Donna L. Chen as she was walking her dog on a sidewalk.

According to authorities, the dog was also hit, and it ran away from the scene.

After the collision, Talman's vehicle also hit landscaping, a street sign, and several wooden poles at the entrance of St. Michael's Archangel Catholic Church.

Meantime, a second vehicle had stopped to avoid Talman's vehicle, but that didn't stop the two cars from coming into contact.

That second driver, an 18-year-old woman, sustained minor injuries.

According to FHP reports, Talman's vehicle also hit a telephone pole before coming to a stop.

Both Talman and his passenger, a 24-year-old man, sustained serious injuries and were transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.

Investigators say Talman, of Bradenton, faces charges including DUI manslaughter and DUI property damage and personal injury.

Sunday morning, the hospital reported that Talman and the passenger had been discharged.

Talman is currently booked into the Sarasota County Jail.

During his first appearance before a judge, Talman's total bond was set at $100,000. Talman appeared to be very upset, and his attorney revealed that Talman is an expectant father.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/...-c-talman-in-sarasota-dui-crash#ixzz1j99e8LkA
Then, this video is captured of the hurt and confused dog which ran from the accident scene and for some reason began to swim into the ocean nearby. :(

The kayaker obviously didn't know what had happened and kindly did his best to help the dog and find the owner. The video was posted to Youtube before he knew what had happened to Mrs. Chen.

#2 ·
Very sad story. What's even crazier is that same day 2 other people were hit by cars and killed in the same town. We need to stop giving out licenses to just any dumbass that walks in.

#16 ·
Yeah, my sister has one. Theyre great dogs and actually pretty smart (or at least hers is). Theyre all skin and muscle. Danger, the name of hers, is a trained bird dog and will run after a bird forever if you let him.

Im glad this guy found the pup and rescued it from the water. I hate drunk drivers. Throw his ass in jail and lose the key. Theres no excuse for it.

#9 ·
During his first appearance before a judge, Talman's total bond was set at $100,000. Talman appeared to be very upset, and his attorney revealed that Talman is an expectant father.
:bs:

Why is it that when something terrible is done by people acting like this, as soon as their actions caught up with them they happen to remember this.
He should had remembered that when he was thinking of doing this. Sometimes I think there should be a drivers license renewal test every few years (IIRC doctors and or other professionals have to keep themselves certified by taking courses and what not) Even if it I may be affected in the long run, why not do this with driving licenses? Just an idea.
:peace:

#12 ·
#15 ·
You live in Florida and deal with Florida drivers every day and you're complaining about people from out of town?

#17 ·
Yes. I will admit FL probably has the worst drivers in the US but when you have to deal with the steroid induced father in his honda odyssey and 7 kids and wife in the back screaming at you, it kinda gets old. Or the 97 year old that is trying to drive with their oxygen tank.

#20 ·
Yes. I will admit FL probably has the worst drivers in the US but when you have to deal with the steroid induced father in his honda odyssey and 7 kids and wife in the back screaming at you, it kinda gets old. Or the 97 year old that is trying to drive with their oxygen tank.
x2

I grew up in Florida and thanks to my job have now driven all over the US and many parts of Europe. Florida drivers rank up there with the worst I have experienced. Every area has it quirks, but Florida drivers are just terrible. Discourteous, poor driving skills, perpetually lost... Need I go on?!? :banghead:

#18 ·
I hadn´t been in the USA in three years, just spent 10 days in Florida...

Drivers are waaaaay worse... A lot of women seem to be hooked to their cell phone or texting, too busy to use their signals or keep proper distance on the highway.

Absurd amount of bad drivers in bro-dozers... Everyone passing on the right. I saw way too many bad drivers.

#26 ·
Read about the dog and the accident this morning in the paper. I just couldn't believe the dog took to the water to escape. Just sad :(

I can't believe there is a video of the fisherman!!!

Thanks for posting this.

#29 ·
really sad if you ask me... :(

#31 ·
Agreed penalties alone might not be able to stop them. My point was based under my desire that maybe under continued testing or certification common sense may kick in and or be trained into. Then again like I said common sense training.
Just hoping justice is served on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.