Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Woman Run Down by Drunk Driver While Jogging with Dog - And a Twist...

1. 01-11-2012 06:10 AM #1
      Quote Originally Posted by CBS News
      SARASOTA, Fla. -- A 53-year-old Sarasota woman was hit and killed by a drunk driver, according to Florida Highway Patrol troopers.

It happened Saturday afternoon when troopers say Blake C. Talman, 22, was fleeing from another crash scene.

Talman reportedly lost control of his Nissan Altima on State Road 758 north of Glebe Lane when troopers say he struck Donna L. Chen as she was walking her dog on a sidewalk.

According to authorities, the dog was also hit, and it ran away from the scene.

After the collision, Talman's vehicle also hit landscaping, a street sign, and several wooden poles at the entrance of St. Michael's Archangel Catholic Church.

Meantime, a second vehicle had stopped to avoid Talman's vehicle, but that didn't stop the two cars from coming into contact.

That second driver, an 18-year-old woman, sustained minor injuries.

According to FHP reports, Talman's vehicle also hit a telephone pole before coming to a stop.

Both Talman and his passenger, a 24-year-old man, sustained serious injuries and were transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.

Investigators say Talman, of Bradenton, faces charges including DUI manslaughter and DUI property damage and personal injury.

Sunday morning, the hospital reported that Talman and the passenger had been discharged.

Talman is currently booked into the Sarasota County Jail.

During his first appearance before a judge, Talman's total bond was set at $100,000. Talman appeared to be very upset, and his attorney revealed that Talman is an expectant father.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/state/d...#ixzz1j99e8LkA
      Then, this video is captured of the hurt and confused dog which ran from the accident scene and for some reason began to swim into the ocean nearby.

The kayaker obviously didn't know what had happened and kindly did his best to help the dog and find the owner. The video was posted to Youtube before he knew what had happened to Mrs. Chen.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW GTI VR6, 1997 VW Jetta 2.0
      01-11-2012 06:48 AM #2
      Very sad story. What's even crazier is that same day 2 other people were hit by cars and killed in the same town. We need to stop giving out licenses to just any dumbass that walks in.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Yo so I got this xr4ti wit a K04 and a blvda - its hella q4 but I got no 88's wit it so I wanna get BG44K with a iOS5 but since I got no $$ I need to get a GG21 with a GHKLS475 (dats da one wit the turbo, but you knew that) but my girl don't like it and now that I'm in HH for 65 I cant get one in the color I want. What do I do?

Vehicles
      00 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe
      01-11-2012 06:49 AM #3
      Aww, that's sad

01-11-2012 07:04 AM #4
      Good thing the guy reeled his line in as soon as he saw the dog swim towards him. The last thing you want is a fish hook lodged in the dog.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      01-11-2012 07:06 AM #5
      Poor Visla. They should let him bite the douchebag who hit them,
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      MK3 2.0T, 2013 Elantra GT
      01-11-2012 07:14 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by nickkwhitt View Post
      Very sad story. What's even crazier is that same day 2 other people were hit by cars and killed in the same town. We need to stop giving out licenses to just any dumbass that walks in.
      that's the truth everywhere. i've literally heard people ask "which one is the brake again... the left one or the right one?"
      2.0T... it's back!

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      01-11-2012 07:16 AM #7
      During his first appearance before a judge, Talman's total bond was set at $100,000. Talman appeared to be very upset, and his attorney revealed that Talman is an expectant father.
      Somebody won't be seeing his kid for a long time (hopefully).
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

01-11-2012 07:22 AM #8
      That's nuts

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      01-11-2012 07:23 AM #9

Why is it that when something terrible is done by people acting like this, as soon as their actions caught up with them they happen to remember this.
      He should had remembered that when he was thinking of doing this. Sometimes I think there should be a drivers license renewal test every few years (IIRC doctors and or other professionals have to keep themselves certified by taking courses and what not) Even if it I may be affected in the long run, why not do this with driving licenses? Just an idea.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

01-11-2012 08:03 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post

Why is it that when something terrible is done by people acting like this, as soon as their actions caught up with them they happen to remember this.
      He should had remembered that when he was thinking of doing this. Sometimes I think there should be a drivers license renewal test every few years (IIRC doctors and or other professionals have to keep themselves certified by taking courses and what not) Even if it I may be affected in the long run, why not do this with driving licenses? Just an idea.
      Because morons will still get behind the wheel and drive regardless as to if they have a license or not.

11. 01-11-2012 08:08 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Aperture View Post
      That door handle is horrible. I wish they would've used a flap-style integrated into the crease.
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      I would love to spin you off the road into a ditch.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2012 08:09 AM #12
      [QUOTE= Sometimes I think there should be a drivers license renewal test every few years (IIRC doctors and or other professionals have to keep themselves certified by taking courses and what not) Even if it I may be affected in the long run, why not do this with driving licenses? :[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I feel this way everyday from November through March when every jackass is on vacation driving around FL.
      Yo so I got this xr4ti wit a K04 and a blvda - its hella q4 but I got no 88's wit it so I wanna get BG44K with a iOS5 but since I got no $$ I need to get a GG21 with a GHKLS475 (dats da one wit the turbo, but you knew that) but my girl don't like it and now that I'm in HH for 65 I cant get one in the color I want. What do I do?

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      01-11-2012 08:10 AM #13
      Ugh, that's terrible.

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      01-11-2012 08:22 AM #14
      Sometimes I think there should be a drivers license renewal test every few years (IIRC doctors and or other professionals have to keep themselves certified by taking courses and what not) Even if it I may be affected in the long run, why not do this with driving licenses? Just an idea.
      Not that I necessarily disagree with this idea, what would it have to do with this situation?
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      01-11-2012 08:31 AM #15
      I completely agree. I feel this way everyday from November through March when every jackass is on vacation driving around FL.
      You live in Florida and deal with Florida drivers every day and you're complaining about people from out of town?
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | ├┼┘2012 Focus SE Sport | 2009 Pontiac G8 (2011-2011) | 2008 VW R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 VW GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 Audi A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      01-11-2012 08:36 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Poor Visla. They should let him bite the douchebag who hit them,
      Yeah, my sister has one. Theyre great dogs and actually pretty smart (or at least hers is). Theyre all skin and muscle. Danger, the name of hers, is a trained bird dog and will run after a bird forever if you let him.

Im glad this guy found the pup and rescued it from the water. I hate drunk drivers. Throw his ass in jail and lose the key. Theres no excuse for it.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2012 08:39 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
      You live in Florida and deal with Florida drivers every day and you're complaining about people from out of town?
      Yes. I will admit FL probably has the worst drivers in the US but when you have to deal with the steroid induced father in his honda odyssey and 7 kids and wife in the back screaming at you, it kinda gets old. Or the 97 year old that is trying to drive with their oxygen tank.

Vehicles
      2006 Yaris D4D x2
      01-11-2012 08:55 AM #18
      I hadn´t been in the USA in three years, just spent 10 days in Florida...

Drivers are waaaaay worse... A lot of women seem to be hooked to their cell phone or texting, too busy to use their signals or keep proper distance on the highway.

Absurd amount of bad drivers in bro-dozers... Everyone passing on the right. I saw way too many bad drivers.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      01-11-2012 09:03 AM #19
      Sometimes I think there should be a drivers license renewal test every few years (IIRC doctors and or other professionals have to keep themselves certified by taking courses and what not) Even if it I may be affected in the long run, why not do this with driving licenses? Just an idea.
      Wouldn't do ****. Penalties don't deter DUIs, neither does licensing. This tool would have showed up, done fine on the renewal test, and killed the woman six months later.

This is what MADD and the politicians and so forth always miss. Driving drunk is, by definition, done with impaired judgment. Drunk people are less able to assess risk than sober people. So it doesn't matter if you make DUI punishments punitive or not, they'll do it anyway because they're not thinking about that when they get behind the wheel. Either that, or they're blowing a 0.08 and feel fine.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 01-11-2012 at 09:07 AM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28 & '05 LGT Wagon
      01-11-2012 09:05 AM #20
      Yes. I will admit FL probably has the worst drivers in the US but when you have to deal with the steroid induced father in his honda odyssey and 7 kids and wife in the back screaming at you, it kinda gets old. Or the 97 year old that is trying to drive with their oxygen tank.
      x2

I grew up in Florida and thanks to my job have now driven all over the US and many parts of Europe. Florida drivers rank up there with the worst I have experienced. Every area has it quirks, but Florida drivers are just terrible. Discourteous, poor driving skills, perpetually lost... Need I go on?!?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      01-11-2012 09:07 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by flat6guy View Post
      Sad story - dogs tend to remember these things.

On a side note, as I embedded this link on FB, that noose was briefly previewed as a thumb - not good!

flick
      r

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-11-2012 10:19 AM #22
      Watching that dog while knowing what it just went through is heart wrenching.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Injustice View Post
      Wow such Canagay. Much hairy. So cuddles.

23. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-11-2012 10:27 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Poor Visla. They should let him eat the douchebag who hit them,
      fixed.

What a sad story. It's one thing to off yourself doing something so stupid. It's quite another to kill someone else.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

24. 01-11-2012 11:45 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Watching that dog while knowing what it just went through is heart wrenching.
      x2

To be honest in cases like this I find myself feeling worse for the animals than the people. Luckily he/she was saved though. I bet it wasn't going to be able to swim for much longer.

Vehicles
      R32, Jetta coupe
      01-11-2012 11:58 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by G2BForReal View Post
      x2

To be honest in cases like this I find myself feeling worse for the animals than the people. Luckily he/she was saved though. I bet it wasn't going to be able to swim for much longer.
      I was thinking the exact same thing.

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      01-11-2012 12:14 PM #26
      Read about the dog and the accident this morning in the paper. I just couldn't believe the dog took to the water to escape. Just sad

I can't believe there is a video of the fisherman!!!

Thanks for posting this.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

27. Banner Advertiser brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1988 BMW M3 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      01-11-2012 12:40 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Woo View Post
      Oh yes, indeed. I live in Sarasota and there is a huge difference between the summertime driving environment and what it's like right now.

A congestion increase alone adds an extra level of danger, but when almost 100% of that extra congestion consists of drivers unfamiliar with the area (or even the country), well, you don't really need to study actuarial tables to know that the odds of something bad happening increase exponentially.

Vehicles
      '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster
      01-11-2012 12:59 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      Oh yes, indeed. I live in Sarasota and there is a huge difference between the summertime driving environment and what it's like right now.

A congestion increase alone adds an extra level of danger, but when almost 100% of that extra congestion consists of drivers unfamiliar with the area (or even the country), well, you don't really need to study actuarial tables to know that the odds of something bad happening increase exponentially.
      Agreed.

I was in Sarasota last August, and there were quite a few times people nearly crashed into me because they were not looking or were distracted. Thankfully I remembered my way around from prior trips (as a kid).

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      01-11-2012 01:05 PM #29
      really sad if you ask me...

30. Member
      01-11-2012 01:11 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Wouldn't do ****. Penalties don't deter DUIs, neither does licensing. This tool would have showed up, done fine on the renewal test, and killed the woman six months later.

This is what MADD and the politicians and so forth always miss. Driving drunk is, by definition, done with impaired judgment. Drunk people are less able to assess risk than sober people. So it doesn't matter if you make DUI punishments punitive or not, they'll do it anyway because they're not thinking about that when they get behind the wheel. Either that, or they're blowing a 0.08 and feel fine.
      Ding ding ding! We have a winner here ladies & gents.

I agree that we should have license renewal programs but unfortunately it wouldn't have stopped this. For drunk drivers we need a way for those who go out drinking to safely get home for a nominal fee. This guy was obviously drunk beyond belief and if he was drinking with friends they should have never let him leave like that. The guy gets whatever is coming to him but we can't let blind hatred drive us to make irrational decisions and laws. We need to find a solution that would stop the problem, not a solution that will make us profit off it.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      01-11-2012 01:28 PM #31
      Agreed penalties alone might not be able to stop them. My point was based under my desire that maybe under continued testing or certification common sense may kick in and or be trained into. Then again like I said common sense training.
      Just hoping justice is served on this one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      01-11-2012 01:45 PM #32
      Off topic: I want a kayak like that with the pedal action.

On topic: That poor dog.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      01-11-2012 01:49 PM #33
      for the kayaker for doing the right thing
      such a sad story and the video was hard to watch knowing the dog's owner is dead.
      and... yeah, there's really no excuse for drunk driving.... unfortunately, people do it all the time and will continue to do it....

Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '04 Frontier SC
      01-11-2012 01:52 PM #34
      past affairs - '12 jetta, '05 s4 6mt, '03 20th gti (x2), '04 tt 3.2l dsg, '07 wrx, '05 sti, '07 & '08 gsx-r600s

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      01-11-2012 01:57 PM #35
      http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...fatal-accident

Police told Chen, the alleged drunk driver, was traveling at least 90 miles per hour and likely missed hitting Barney by inches. Barney and Donna had been on a busy state road and had been at a turn.
      hopefully, the lady didn't suffer too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast