Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is this video so noisey?

1. 01-30-2012 04:57 PM #36
      Shot this really quickly on Sunday before we started shooting our short. Lighting kind of sucks, but I didn't really want to take the time to touch it up in post, and my boss was up my ass to get this done to promote the event.

2. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      01-30-2012 05:37 PM #37
      You cropped off the gent in the green sweater nearly at his shoulder joint. I would have given him at least half-a-hand's worth of pace between his arm and the frame/crop.

The rule is generally never to frame/crop someone at a joint or dividing point. (elbows, knees, waist, neck, ankle, wrist, etc) It give an odd subconscious illusion of amputation, and you're cutting it pretty close with that guy.

Also there isn't any footage to break up him and the guy with the little boy. You should have positioned the guy and the boy on the far right of the frame. Especially since the boy is on his right knee. So the leading lines are pulling left hard. The way it is right now, the composition is very heavy to one side.

3. 01-30-2012 10:08 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection View Post
      You cropped off the gent in the green sweater nearly at his shoulder joint. I would have given him at least half-a-hand's worth of pace between his arm and the frame/crop.

The rule is generally never to frame/crop someone at a joint or dividing point. (elbows, knees, waist, neck, ankle, wrist, etc) It give an odd subconscious illusion of amputation, and you're cutting it pretty close with that guy.

Also there isn't any footage to break up him and the guy with the little boy. You should have positioned the guy and the boy on the far right of the frame. Especially since the boy is on his right knee. So the leading lines are pulling left hard. The way it is right now, the composition is very heavy to one side.

As always, thanks for the tips

Honestly that whole thing was rushed, and I didn't pay much attention to it aside from the audio levels. The project was kind of thrown at me Sunday morning

4. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      01-30-2012 11:22 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      As always, thanks for the tips

Honestly that whole thing was rushed, and I didn't pay much attention to it aside from the audio levels. The project was kind of thrown at me Sunday morning
      I feel you on the last minute tight deadlines. It's definitely something that has to be developed as a sixth sense. I'm just now semi-conscious of it all the time. And I've been doing documentary stuff for 3 months. Albeit non-stop, producing 37 videos in that three months with more still sitting on my plate.

5. 01-31-2012 08:37 AM #40
      That is a lot of filming in three months, damn.

6. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      01-31-2012 11:36 AM #41
      That is a lot of filming in three months, damn.
      tell me about it.

7. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      01-31-2012 01:45 PM #42
      Let me know if you have any post-production or color correcting questions. Even a little bit of color tweaking can go along way.

Here's a "talking head" video I did for a recent project that had to be color corrected...

8. 01-31-2012 10:23 PM #43
      Damn that's a huge difference!

Most of the footage I got from Sunday actually looks really good, but almost "too good." I want to try to color grade it so it kind of has a gloomy feel. I played around with curves today in Premiere, but I think I want to learn AE.

Here is a quick out take from the shoot...prop failure!

9. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      02-01-2012 10:45 AM #44
      I really like the angle, coloration, and saturation of that Gopro shot.

10. 02-01-2012 11:28 AM #45
      I really like the angle, coloration, and saturation of that Gopro shot.
      lol are you trolling me right now?

11. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      02-01-2012 11:50 AM #46
      lol are you trolling me right now?
      Not at all, if the horizon was straight it'd be an excellent shot. Very indicative of zombie movies. The coloration is def what you should shoot for. Lots of saturation and oranges.

12. 02-02-2012 08:46 PM #47

made some changes to this video. Not ideal, but my boss wanted a bunch of stuff thrown in, and I tried to fix the framing you mentioned

13. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      02-03-2012 02:55 PM #48
      You need to flip that video image of the guy and the kid if you move it to that edge. You've got clipping issues. It should be something like Transform>Flip Horizontal.

14. 02-03-2012 09:42 PM #49
      You need to flip that video image of the guy and the kid if you move it to that edge. You've got clipping issues. It should be something like Transform>Flip Horizontal.
      hmm for some reason I didn't even think of that. I figured reframing the shot was better than the couple seconds of clipping when the kid lifted his arm.

15. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      02-04-2012 12:36 PM #50
      hmm for some reason I didn't even think of that. I figured reframing the shot was better than the couple seconds of clipping when the kid lifted his arm.
      Whatever works. Flipping would be the fastest. And no one would really know.

16. 02-10-2012 01:13 PM #51
      Put this together to give our clients a better idea of what it really takes to make big changes in your health and fitness. Most people eat crap processed "low fat" foods, and shy away from calories.

I definitely need some lights cuz the lighting in the gym sucks, but I'm really liking my new 50mm lens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12