Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: User Control and Display in the next Audi A3

1. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      01-11-2012 01:16 PM #1

Audi has released some initial details on some of the user control systems, including their Tegra processor based next-generation MMI which will debut in the new A3. Click on the pic for the story.

-Tim

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      02-28-2012 12:25 AM #2
      Just read the article and it looks to be really intuitive and seamless. Of course my hopes slightly faded when I read this:

The equipment, data and prices specified in this document refer to the model range offered in Germany.
      But I'd bet most of that technology will transfer to the US cars.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi A4, 1954 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle
      02-28-2012 12:41 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      ... But I'd bet most of that technology will transfer to the US cars.
      Yeah, there's not much different in the current Euro/US versions of MMI that I know of.
      The biggest thing I'm intrigued by is the modular aspect of it - being able to upgrade the MMI would be awesome. Especially if you can add the future HUD that will show 'arrows on the ground' from the NAV.
      Tschüß! Ðave
      2010 Brilliant Black A4 SLine • Hüper Optik • EC Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • ST-40 BBK • Hankook Ventus V12's | Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Short Shifter | Wish List: New Wheels • ECodes

4. Administrator Tim@Fourtitude's Avatar
      02-28-2012 07:50 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Just read the article and it looks to be really intuitive and seamless.
      It really is - it's a great system.

But I'd bet most of that technology will transfer to the US cars.
      It certainly will. We'll get full featured MMI on the MQB cars - it's one of the things that Audi is using to push the new A3, and also why they're choosing to debut the new MMI in their smallest (for our market) car - they know the audience that the car is aimed at will appreciate the technological gadgetry, and the fact that it's upgradable.

Quote Originally Posted by V0LKSWAGENSRULE View Post
      Yeah, there's not much different in the current Euro/US versions of MMI that I know of.
      The current versions (I have personal experience with the versions in the Euro A7 and A8, and the US A7 and A8) are basically the same, yes. I have no reason to think that won't continue.

The biggest thing I'm intrigued by is the modular aspect of it - being able to upgrade the MMI would be awesome. Especially if you can add the future HUD that will show 'arrows on the ground' from the NAV.
      The modularity / upgradability is huge, and I'm both proud that Audi is doing it first and frankly a little surprised that no one has done it before. The consumer electronics market moves a LOT faster than the car market, and this will keep the cars from being "outdated" when the next new cool connectivity method or phone or whatever comes along in a year.

As far as the HUD goes.... I wouldn't expect that it will be upgradable to the contact-analogue head up display, as that would require a lot of hardware to be installed - projectors, cameras, and the like. It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Even the "basic" HUD that Audi offers now is really pretty nice and works VERY well - the basic info that you'd otherwise see on the DIS (the screen between the tach and speedo) is projected and appears to hover just off the front of the hood, so you see speed, navi directions, etc, and you don't ever have to drop your gaze from the road. I've driven a couple of cars with it, and you miss it when it's gone after you get used to it.

-Tim

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi A4, 1954 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle
      03-05-2012 06:12 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim@Fourtitude View Post
      It really is - it's a great system.

The modularity / upgradability is huge, and I'm both proud that Audi is doing it first and frankly a little surprised that no one has done it before. The consumer electronics market moves a LOT faster than the car market, and this will keep the cars from being "outdated" when the next new cool connectivity method or phone or whatever comes along in a year.

As far as the HUD goes.... I wouldn't expect that it will be upgradable to the contact-analogue head up display, as that would require a lot of hardware to be installed - projectors, cameras, and the like. It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

Even the "basic" HUD that Audi offers now is really pretty nice and works VERY well - the basic info that you'd otherwise see on the DIS (the screen between the tach and speedo) is projected and appears to hover just off the front of the hood, so you see speed, navi directions, etc, and you don't ever have to drop your gaze from the road. I've driven a couple of cars with it, and you miss it when it's gone after you get used to it.

-Tim
      Don't get me wrong - I'll be happy with the base HUD
      Do you know if you can set the HUD to display different info than the DIS? That would be awesome, cause I miss having the speed display when I have the Nav active.
      Tschüß! Ðave
      2010 Brilliant Black A4 SLine • Hüper Optik • EC Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • ST-40 BBK • Hankook Ventus V12's | Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Short Shifter | Wish List: New Wheels • ECodes