Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: US release?

Vehicles
      MK5 GTI, 2013 Escape Ecoboost 1.6 4WD
      01-12-2012 04:11 PM #1
      Is any information available on the release date for these in the US?

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      01-12-2012 06:19 PM #2
      The Euro launch of the MQB A3 should be at Geneva in March, but we don't know if that will be the 3-door, 5-door and sedan at the same time, or if the sedan will get its own reveal later in the year (my money is on the latter).

As for US market launch, we still don't have confirmation as to whether we're just getting the sedan or if we'll also get the Sportback. Either way, don't expect them here until spring 2013 at the earliest.

Vehicles
      MK5 GTI, 2013 Escape Ecoboost 1.6 4WD
      01-13-2012 03:49 PM #3
      I guess we will have to wait to see the driveline options. I assume a Gen3 EA888 2.0T as the base with the possibility of the detuned 2.5TFSI for a s-line if available (Same motor in the Q3).

4. 01-18-2012 03:24 PM #4
      From the interview here on Fourtitude with Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen last July, regarding the U.S. market.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan de Nysschen View Post
      1. We do not have month for next generation A3 availability, but I can confirm it will be introduced as a MY 13 vehicle.
      2. The A3 will only be available as a sedan and possibly as a convertible but no Sportback. The cabriolet is developed off of the A3 sedan as a base, whereas the Sportback has many unique body parts. We can apply the development work for US homologation of the sedan to the cabriolet.

Vehicles
      Golf TDI 4dr MKVI
      01-19-2012 03:36 PM #5
      This is lame.
      S550Mustang/435i GranCoupe/V60Polestar/RS3/S3/GolfR hmm, plot thickens...

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 DSG S-Line with Stage I APR
      02-24-2012 04:57 PM #6
      I agree. I'll be shopping other brands if they don't bring over the 5-dr Sportback.

7. 03-04-2012 02:56 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      From the interview here on Fourtitude with Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen last July, regarding the U.S. market.
      From a new guy. Howdy!
      My wife drives a Cooper S. A fun car but she's thinking a little more room, a couple extra doors, and a little more refinement---might be nice.

We want to stay with a small hatchback. I don't want an A4 station wagon. Checked out the WRX, VW, Volvo, Mazada, etc. Off to the local Audi dealer. Nothing seems to fit the bill for size, comfort, luxury, performance, sport, fun, and looks, like the A3.

We drove a TDI Stronic since the dealer had no quattro's in stock. I was very impressed with the ride and performance. But I want a quattro with premium plus, titanium, cold wx, convenience, roof rails, side airbags, sunfoof, and maybe Nav. Order time, 90 days.

90 days is not a problem. Then I started wondering when the '13 models would be out. This led me to VWVortex. I love the new look of the 2013 A3. Great! I'll wait and order the new model. Not so fast. May not be available for the US.

I'm going to talk to my dealer tomorrow. Thought I'd throw out some questions today.
      1. When will Audi tell us about the 2013 A3 availability.
      2. If no 2013 A3 for the US. What is the latest the 2012 model can be ordered.
      3. European delivery. The Audi web site refers to US spec automobiles. Is it possible to buy a 2013
      German A3 and get it imported and licensed in the US.

Just thought some of you may have been through this maze and might have a quick way out. Thanks for any advice,
      Regards

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Autobahn
      03-04-2012 07:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
      From a new guy. Howdy!
      3. European delivery. The Audi web site refers to US spec automobiles. Is it possible to buy a 2013
      German A3 and get it imported and licensed in the US.
      I recently asked Audi about doing this. I wanted amber turn signals at the back and wanted them or a local German dealer to do it. They said they wouldn't ship the vehicle if I did, so the answer is no you can't.

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      03-05-2012 12:42 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by dogbolter View Post
      I recently asked Audi about doing this. I wanted amber turn signals at the back and wanted them or a local German dealer to do it. They said they wouldn't ship the vehicle if I did, so the answer is no you can't.
      Might wanna check out tmtuning for the lights (they're based in Berlin). I got Euro-spec smoked R32 tail lights for my GTI and they came with amber turn signals. It also came with the rear fog light and only 1 reverse light. Every time someone sees me back up, they tell me I have a burned out light and then I explain to them that's how they are in Germany, and that leads them to going

I'm pretty sure they're not DOT approved but that shouldn't be an issue...how often is something like that ever checked?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Audi A3 Quattro
      03-19-2012 02:19 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
      From a new guy. Howdy!
      We drove a TDI Stronic since the dealer had no quattro's in stock. I was very impressed with the ride and performance. But I want a quattro with premium plus, titanium, cold wx, convenience, roof rails, side airbags, sunfoof, and maybe Nav. Order time, 90 days.
      Hi, and welcome!

Your wife will love the sportback. It is a great improvement from the Mini IMO as far as driving dynamics and interior go.

Road and track says the new A3 sedan will come as early as the 2014 model year: http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-sho...a/2013-audi-a3

And Motor Trend says it will be here in 2014 as a 2015 model: http://wot.motortrend.com/2012-genev...14-176551.html

Either way it is a long time to wait and if people are wrong and the hatch does come (which I almost believe 100% it won't) then that'll be introduced after the sedan at an even later date.

As for the 2012 model Quattro is the way to go! It is a great list of options you have, but I would not go with the navigation. The system on the current A3 is an older and less intuitive system that is generally considered poor. It is expensive (at around $2000) and there are much more affordable and better aftermarket navigation systems.
      Last edited by Fellow Gaucho; 03-19-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Vehicles
      '10 S4 | '91 MR2 Turbo
      03-19-2012 11:05 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Fellow Gaucho View Post

Road and track says the new A3 sedan will come as early as the 2014 model year...

And Motor Trend says it will be here in 2014 as a 2015 model...
      Yeah this whole inconsistent release date is really annoying

Am I the only one who thought the sedan was going to be revealed during the this year's Geneva show??? Since it never happened, I'm thinking they'll do it at a show early next year and we'll get it that fall, i.e. Fall 2013. And if we do get the S3, that probably won't be till Fall 2014. Man that's so far away...

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 DSG S-Line with Stage I APR
      03-19-2012 04:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Yeah this whole inconsistent release date is really annoying

Am I the only one who thought the sedan was going to be revealed during the this year's Geneva show??? Since it never happened, I'm thinking they'll do it at a show early next year and we'll get it that fall, i.e. Fall 2013. And if we do get the S3, that probably won't be till Fall 2014. Man that's so far away...
      I think I read recently in the German press that the Sportback is supposed to be unveiled at the Paris show this Fall.