Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Riley" - jsausley's Rising Blue R

1. 01-13-2012 01:39 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
      Exhaust: This is interesting. I expected the car to be louder. You can definitely hear it roar when you get on it hard but from idle to 2000 RPM the car is barely audible, even with the windows cracked. At stoplights you almost wonder if your engine is still running. If you want more sound, I'd definitely seek an upgrade in this area first. If you want a semi-quiet cruiser, though, this car's sound will be PERFECT for you. I actually really like it. Right now I'm not sure whether I want to touch the exhaust or not - I would prefer more sound, but if I want a louder ride, I'll go hop back in the GTO - we'll have to wait and see on that.
      I'm wondering if this R has the flapper like the the previous Golf R32 had. In the R32 the flapper would (dis)engage at 45 mph.

Congrats on the new ride.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-13-2012 02:11 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      I'm wondering if this R has the flapper like the the previous Golf R32 had. In the R32 the flapper would (dis)engage at 45 mph.

Congrats on the new ride.
      It does have a flapper/actuator. Not sure on the specifics about when it engages but it sounds like it's related to throttle position similar to a Corvette (you can rev it while stationary and it doesn't engage but if you're moving and giving it significant throttle, it will). I haven't done a ton of tests but the R seems similar. In motion it really comes in around 2,500 RPM.

Here's a picture (this isn't my car, I found this on Google):

You can see the right-most exhaust tip is connected to the actuator. I'm not sure if the muffler has two chambers (one with less restriction) or if just opening an extra exhaust outlet increases the airflow and sound. An expert would have to tell you, and I am not one.

(A side note: That guy accidentally photographed his head. Lol.)

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-13-2012 02:14 PM #38
      This car is so easy and amazing to drive that it makes me hate having to get out of the driver's seat...

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-13-2012 02:17 PM #39
      ^ lol I didn't even notice his head till you pointed it out. I was like "there is something blocking the exhaust tips...".

Give us more info/impressions please.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 4dr base CSG | 1997 Boxster | 2009 ER-6n
      01-13-2012 02:31 PM #40
      Thanks for taking the time to write this up and take some good pictures. This is the kind of info I'm searching for here, while waiting for my car to come in.

I hope we can get many more of these threads with all package/color types.

Vehicles
      urquattro,Golf R,4000q,EvoIX
      01-13-2012 02:40 PM #41
      It does have a flapper/actuator. Not sure on the specifics about when it engages but it sounds like it's related to throttle position similar to a Corvette (you can rev it while stationary and it doesn't engage but if you're moving and giving it significant throttle, it will). I haven't done a ton of tests but the R seems similar. In motion it really comes in around 2,500 RPM.

You can see the right-most exhaust tip is connected to the actuator. I'm not sure if the muffler has two chambers (one with less restriction) or if just opening an extra exhaust outlet increases the airflow and sound. An expert would have to tell you, and I am not one.

The flapper opens up when full throttle is applied.The ecu controls the motion.

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      01-13-2012 02:59 PM #42
      I set my treble and bass to 6 (out of 10) and it sounds fantastic. It's perfectly balanced for me, and I'm a bit of a sound snob.
      Nice to hear. (no pun intended)

Here is a good thread on Dynaudio: Dynaudio Thread on GolfMK6

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-13-2012 03:18 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      Give us more info/impressions please.
      Hmm... well, when the road is empty and the weather permits it I usually drive fairly spirited. So far the car has been nothing but impressive. The slight delay in power is definitely noticeable, as I said before, but it just makes you eager for the turbo to kick in, and when it does the car just pulls.

I threw it into some hard corners earlier and it took it very well. There's minimal body roll and it definitely out-handles the GTO (which I've taken to VIR three times now). By such a margin that a comparison seems silly, really.

The only negatives I can come up with:

First of all, the sound. Sometimes you want it to be louder, like when you're getting on it hard or when you're matching revs for a downshift (I love the sound of a downshift). On the other hand though, sometimes you don't want the car to be that loud so in that case it's perfect (55-70 MPH it's super quiet, which makes it feel really classy inside - nothing is more distracting than trying to have a conversation over a loud exhaust note).

Second is the speed at which the car pulls first and second gear - you have to shift out of these gears fast. If you're rolling at all you might as well kick it from second gear. First is gone by about 15 MPH, maybe 20. The thing is, there's nothing that can be done about that. If we had taller gears we wouldn't have the same acceleration. So I'm willing to give that up.

As you can tell, both of these negatives aren't really that negative. Just nitpicks that aren't really that much of an issue.

I'll stress again. It's just absolutely too much fun to drive. I can't wait to get back behind the wheel!

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      01-13-2012 03:26 PM #44
      Hmm... well, when the road is empty and the weather permits it I usually drive fairly spirited. So far the car has been nothing but impressive. The slight delay in power is definitely noticeable, as I said before, but it just makes you eager for the turbo to kick in, and when it does the car just pulls.

I threw it into some hard corners earlier and it took it very well. There's minimal body roll and it definitely out-handles the GTO (which I've taken to VIR three times now). By such a margin that a comparison seems silly, really.

The only negatives I can come up with:

First of all, the sound. Sometimes you want it to be louder, like when you're getting on it hard or when you're matching revs for a downshift (I love the sound of a downshift). On the other hand though, sometimes you don't want the car to be that loud so in that case it's perfect (55-70 MPH it's super quiet, which makes it feel really classy inside - nothing is more distracting than trying to have a conversation over a loud exhaust note).

Second is the speed at which the car pulls first and second gear - you have to shift out of these gears fast. If you're rolling at all you might as well kick it from second gear. First is gone by about 15 MPH, maybe 20. The thing is, there's nothing that can be done about that. If we had taller gears we wouldn't have the same acceleration. So I'm willing to give that up.

As you can tell, both of these negatives aren't really that negative. Just nitpicks that aren't really that much of an issue.

I'll stress again. It's just absolutely too much fun to drive. I can't wait to get back behind the wheel!
      Thanks for the impressions. It already sounds like my old trusty VR6. In everyday driving I was almost never in first gear.

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R Stage 3 & bagged, 14 BMW 335 xDrive daily
      01-13-2012 04:58 PM #45
      Awesome.

Congrats on the new car. I can't WAIT for mine to get here. I have a little over a month till mine arrives... and it can't come soon enough!

Regarding your comments on exhaust sound... I think that's why I'm going to wait for APR's RSC to be developed before purchasing exhaust. It's what I have on my GTI, and I LOVE the sound. Its loud when I'm on it, and quiet when I'm not. I've had lots of non-car enthusiast friends comment on the fact that they don't mind it b/c we can still ride in my car and have a conversation at normal levels (except, of course, when I am getting on the highway or passing someone )

Great write up, and great ride!
      Quote Originally Posted by Eff Bags View Post
      you're a girl Kyle?
      // DROP // DRAG // DESTROY //JABRONETTE//

IG: specialkk43

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-13-2012 05:08 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
      Nice to hear. (no pun intended)

Here is a good thread on Dynaudio: Dynaudio Thread on GolfMK6
      Some strange opinions in that thread. I look forward to trying different settings as soon as possible.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2013 Q5, 1999 Pontiac Grand Am
      01-13-2012 05:24 PM #47
      Looks great! Love that color too.

Hope to hear some updates, know a lot of us are curious how it drives!

Vehicles
      E90 335i and MK6 Golf
      01-13-2012 05:25 PM #48
      Some strange opinions in that thread. I look forward to trying different settings as soon as possible.
      It might be different for a broken in systems but for me the Dynaudio sound too bright or piercing above +1 on Treble.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-13-2012 07:27 PM #49
      A few things:

Odometer is now reading 120 miles. Took it through some of the back and country roads around Graham and Burlington to enjoy the car. Nothing really new to report here. Averaging 25 MPG with a few heavy foot moments (you have to do this). Now that I've gotten used to the feel of the clutch and the transmission, I'm more comfortable with hard shifting. Car kicks you in the ass when you do a hard shift into second and again into third. Maybe it's just my imagination but that seems to be an AWD thing. There's no tire chirp of any kind, just pure grip.

Took the car on the interstate today for the first time. At 72-74 MPH (my typical cruising speed) the car turns a hair over 3,000 RPM. That's pretty high, but I'm used to torquey V8s (GTO cruises at about 1,800 RPM at the same speed, for example). The sound isn't bad at all, but I can imagine it might be invasive with a loud exhaust system. Just food for thought for those of you who plan to drive your Rs daily yet want to add an aftermarket exhaust. If anything, I will upgrade the downpipe and downpipe only.

Lastly, I played with the Dynaudio. Found a setting that I like better. At first I was digging the bass (it hits pretty well) but I think I've found something that I will keep permanently. It's a more clear, pure sound. Here's the setting I use:

Treble: -3
      Midrange: +3
      Bass: +2
      Balance: 0
      Fade: +2 (slight rear bias)

Try that when you get your cars in. I find that it's a really good sound.

Vehicles
      2012 R 2dr Base CW 3/27/12, 2015 A3 TDI 11/8/2014
      01-13-2012 07:50 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      You were probably looking at the EU R's with 19's.

I actually do believe the US is only 1 cm higher which is not really noticeable unless you compare them side by side.
      Not saying you're wrong, but the outside diameter really should the same or very close regardless of the wheel diameter so the gap should be the same. Is the ride height the same for the euoro magnetic suspension versus the conventional one?
      2015 A3 TDI
      2012 Golf R CW 2DR (Deposit down on a 2015 mk7 R)
      2011 F150 SCrew 5.0
      2000 911 C2 Aero Brumos Special Edition 'B59'
      1970/73 911 RSR residing within a 2011 ATC 24 ft VNose

Vehicles
      2012 R 2dr Base CW 3/27/12, 2015 A3 TDI 11/8/2014
      01-13-2012 08:01 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by autofi View Post
      The flapper opens up when full throttle is applied.The ecu controls the motion.
      Dunno about this system, but my '00 911 has a similar one and at least for that system you'd both be right. Throttle + has to be above certain rpm and then it opens. That way its quiet when highway cruising and not too loud initially off the line. Might also possibly improve bottom end torque as well by increasing back pressure at low RPM.
      2015 A3 TDI
      2012 Golf R CW 2DR (Deposit down on a 2015 mk7 R)
      2011 F150 SCrew 5.0
      2000 911 C2 Aero Brumos Special Edition 'B59'
      1970/73 911 RSR residing within a 2011 ATC 24 ft VNose

Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      01-13-2012 08:09 PM #52

Is that a nut sack?
      2011 BMW 335i Performance Edition M Sport
      RIP...2010 GTI
      R Tails (SOLD) | APR RSB (need to swap for OEM) | Clear Markers (ON SALE) | Front Lip (??) | 9W7 (SOLD)

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      01-13-2012 11:17 PM #53
      I expect it to settle a bit more, actually. Remember it just came off of blocks yesterday or today (not sure when they took them off, to be honest).

Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate it. I can tell you that the blue is SO much better in person than in pictures. You'll all love it if that's what you're ordering.

Slidemx5, we can probably meet up Saturday if you're available and want to go for a ride around town.
      Post more pics after the springs settle.

19. 01-14-2012 01:55 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Tailwagger View Post
      Not saying you're wrong, but the outside diameter really should the same or very close regardless of the wheel diameter so the gap should be the same. Is the ride height the same for the euoro magnetic suspension versus the conventional one?
      Going from the stock 225/40R18 tires to 235/35R19 tires on 19" wheels increases the overall diameter from 637 mm to 646 mm, about a 1.5% difference. All else equal, this will raise the static height of the car by 1 cm while simultaneously reducing the wheel gap by about 1 cm.

I am also thinking about 235/35R19 tires. I believe that's what you get with the 19" optional wheels available on the R in Europe.

Get some 19" RS3 wheels, save the 18" Talladegas for winter tires or trade them for some 17s to handle the slop better.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      01-14-2012 02:45 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by sassynapoleon View Post
      Going from the stock 225/40R18 tires to 235/35R19 tires on 19" wheels increases the overall diameter from 637 mm to 646 mm, about a 1.5% difference. All else equal, this will raise the static height of the car by 1 cm while simultaneously reducing the wheel gap by about 1 cm.

I am also thinking about 235/35R19 tires. I believe that's what you get with the 19" optional wheels available on the R in Europe.

Get some 19" RS3 wheels, save the 18" Talladegas for winter tires or trade them for some 17s to handle the slop better.
      This. Other than the possibility of Euro springs, I have no desire to muck with the stock suspension. 19" wheels with 235/35 rubber will help close the wheel gap somewhat without touching the suspension. That said the larger rolling diameter will not, as you suggest, raise the static height of the car and reduce the wheel gap both by 1 cm. The 1 cm increase in diameter will be split above and below the axle. The 1/2 cm below will increase the ride height. The 1/2 cm above will close the wheel gap.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R | 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring
      01-14-2012 09:49 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by sassynapoleon View Post
      WIth a 1 cm increase in diameter, I believe your static ride height will be +0.5 cm (the increase in the radius, below the axle centerline), and your wheel gap will be -0.5 cm (ditto, but this radius increase is above the axle centerline). Anyway, that's what my math-challenged brain came up with

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      01-14-2012 10:38 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by mrbill562 View Post
      WIth a 1 cm increase in diameter, I believe your static ride height will be +0.5 cm (the increase in the radius, below the axle centerline), and your wheel gap will be -0.5 cm (ditto, but this radius increase is above the axle centerline). Anyway, that's what my math-challenged brain came up with
      Copy cat.

2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R | 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring
      01-14-2012 03:19 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      Copy cat.

lulz That'll teach me to reply without first reading all the way to the end of the thread...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      01-14-2012 04:05 PM #59
      can you confirm that the car has headlight washers? i know that the VW official documents state that there are headlight washers, and we can see cut outs, but has anyone confirmed this on the cars?

Vehicles
      01-14-2012 04:06 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      can you confirm that the car has headlight washers? i know that the VW official documents state that there are headlight washers, and we can see cut outs, but has anyone confirmed this on the cars?
      They are there and functionnal!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-14-2012 04:07 PM #61
      Slidemx5 and I talked about that. There doesn't seem to be any controls for them so if we have them they must activate automatically or something. I have no idea to be honest.

Vehicles
      01-14-2012 04:15 PM #62
      Slidemx5 and I talked about that. There doesn't seem to be any controls for them so if we have them they must activate automatically or something. I have no idea to be honest.
      Only when the headlights are on do they spray.The signal comes from the light switch and those of you that do not want that feature,the vagcom allows you to shut it off.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      01-14-2012 04:22 PM #63
      Only when the headlights are on do they spray.The signal comes from the light switch and those of you that do not want that feature,the vagcom allows you to shut it off.
      i'm guessing they only spray when you spray your windshields and the headlights are on??

Vehicles
      01-14-2012 04:28 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Angina View Post
      i'm guessing they only spray when you spray your windshields and the headlights are on??
      Correct.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-14-2012 04:55 PM #65
      Correct.
      Makes sense! I will test them the first time we get some rain. I just washed and waxed the car and as much as I love you guys I don't feel like spraying my windshield just to do it again.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-21-2012 05:37 PM #66
      380 miles in and it has been the best 380 miles of any car I've owned. Still loving this car!

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 Mazda Miata, 2015 GTI
      01-21-2012 10:22 PM #67
      My coolant was much lower than yours. Though I didn't check after I drove it. Will check tomorrow

33. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-21-2012 10:26 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by slidemx5 View Post
      My coolant was much lower than yours. Though I didn't check after I drove it. Will check tomorrow
      Hmm, yeah, we were pretty sure they overfilled it.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line
      01-21-2012 11:03 PM #69
      Fixed it.

Here's an example of what we're on about. The car came like this from the dealer.

The manual clearly states, "nicht überfüllen!" The coolant level should be between the two horizontal lines on the bottom portion of the container (barely visible in the picture). It says do not fill above the top line (when hot, the level could exceed the line but not by NEARLY this much).

I checked it again after the car cooled down and it was still really high, so I took some out until it met the recommended level.

I would recommend everyone else check that in your Rs!

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 & 2010 Audi A3 Quattro
      02-01-2012 01:03 PM #70
      Nice! Looks beautiful.

There is another R owner around RTP area. We should do a small meet. Would love to see the new R.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast