Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Experience with Tissot brand. Where to buy Amazon or Jared???

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      01-13-2012 01:43 AM #1
      So i've pretty much been lusting over a Tissot Couturier automatic chronograph watch with a stainless steel band. I have two questions. The first does anybody have experience with the brand? I've seen great reviews online, but then again most watch companies don't have poor reviews so i'd rather hear some experiences from others.

My next question is I see they have this on Amazon from a tissot(looks like tissot anyway) for 390.00 and they offer a two year warranty through amazon. Jared also has the same watch which sells for 590 and you can buy an exnteded warranty for about 100 bucks more that does free replacement for two years and lifetime replacement on the battery.

My main question is would it be wise to purchase this with the 200 dollars off I would receive from amazon plus no state tax on the same watch or should I play it safe and pay out the ass and get it from a jeweler? I'll be honest I really don't plan on having the watch longer than 5 years max so I might get one free battery out of it and as far as the replacement plan i'm looking for insight into how durable these are. I've never had a watch in this price range/class so i'm just looking for some info.

Anything helps guys!

2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

Vehicles
      01-13-2012 10:16 PM #2
      Slow forum.... Probably gonna buy the amazon if I don't hear a reason why I shouldn't
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 2.0T, 6MT, shadow blue Passat wagon
      01-13-2012 11:06 PM #3
      I"ve had a Tissot SeaStar 1000 automatic for 2.5 years. Purchased used and runs like a top and yes, is waterproof to 1000 feet. I love it!

Vehicles
      '97 GTI VR6
      01-13-2012 11:17 PM #4
      I've heard that your best bet is to buy directly from Amazon, not an Amazon seller, due to the likelihood of getting a fake.

I don't think you should pay for lifetime batteries for an automatic.
      ([Oo)===o===(oO])

Vehicles
      01-14-2012 12:02 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by vivalahatch View Post
      I've heard that your best bet is to buy directly from Amazon, not an Amazon seller, due to the likelihood of getting a fake.

Yeah they have a deal on the site that says order fulfilled by amazon and the two year warranty. Also i'm sorry it's way over my head, but the snicker for the battery and automatic can you elaborate?

Vehicles
      2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
      01-14-2012 05:36 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Yeah they have a deal on the site that says order fulfilled by amazon and the two year warranty. Also i'm sorry it's way over my head, but the snicker for the battery and automatic can you elaborate?
      An automatic watch is entirely mechanical, and uses a weighted rotor to wind itself when you wear it, hence 'automatic'. It has no batteries.
      "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
      - Plato

7. 01-14-2012 12:10 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by vivalahatch View Post

No but.... Tissot is apparently offering this same watch with a couple different movements, one of which is a quartz so depending on where you are shopping, the price can swing wildly according to the movement.

Vehicles
      '97 GTI VR6
      01-14-2012 02:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      No but.... Tissot is apparently offering this same watch with a couple different movements, one of which is a quartz so depending on where you are shopping, the price can swing wildly according to the movement.
      Good to know. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk.
      ([Oo)===o===(oO])

Vehicles
      01-14-2012 06:30 PM #9
      Thanks for the info guys sorry i'm not super knowledgeable on the battery/automatic thing

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      01-18-2012 05:09 PM #10
      Not sure if you made a decision or not, but my GF bought me a Tissot from Amazon for close to 40% less than what the retail stores were asking. It's been a great watch in the month I've had it--in fact, I'm wearing it now. There is certainly some value to buying a very expensive watch from an authorized dealer versus gray market from Amazon, but personally, my tissot was cheap enough where it wouldn't completely kill me if I wasn't able to get it fixed or replaced. If that happened on say an Omega or Panerai, that would be a different story.

In addition, I bought a bunch of things from Amazon in the past and never had an issue. Except once. It was a pair of blutooth stereo headphones that kept shorting out every few months. They kept replacing them for me with no questions asked. Amazon has done well by me in the past, so I will continue buying from them.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      01-19-2012 10:12 AM #11
      I bought a Tissot for my wife at Jared in delaware. I got the manager to come within $20 of the amazon price. If you feel better buying at an authorized dealer you can negotiate.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      01-19-2012 10:23 AM #12
      The automatic ones are around $1000 on most sites. I think the ones you're looking at are the quartz (battery powered). The dial is slightly different.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      a white GLI i think
      03-18-2012 11:27 AM #13
      way late for my reply but ill put my 0.02 in. i own that watch the automatic version. personally it may be more to buy it at say jareds but its worth it...i buy all my watches there and i also the the protection plan on them...may cost more for it but its worth it..my victorniox just went in for a whole new movement and it was covered otherwise i woulda had to shell out some big coin.

also if you do get that watch remember if you get the automatic it does need to go in for service every 2-3 years for cleaning and lub job and all that other fun stuff and i think its like 250-300 for that. if you have the coin for the true automatic one i would buy it it has a great movement in it and all around great watch

Vehicles
      89' 325is
      03-25-2012 05:20 AM #14
      I've got a Tissot and wouldn't recommend them the pin that holds the strap (on that model) breaks quite frequently. You'll see the bad design when it happens to you. Uses a custom sprung pin and was fixed twice under warranty now it's broke I tried to use a universal one and that lasted weeks

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 01:03 PM #15
      hoping I don't have any issues. I actually found a prc 100 on craigslist that was in excellent condition. Got on a watch forum and found it to be legit. We'll see how this one goes before I buy my next one.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:54 PM #16
      Well we will see how it goes with this watch. My wife picked this up for our 5 year anniversary.

17. Member
      04-14-2012 12:52 PM #17
      Nice. Congrats
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      04-17-2012 02:18 AM #18
      Enjoy!

Vehicles
      1991 Corrado 16V ABF Aqua Blue Pearl effect. 2004 Mk4 Golf (Daily)
      04-17-2012 10:11 AM #19
      Late to the Party...
      Tissot uses the same movements on their automatics as Tag Heuer.. so that takes care of that...
      And if it is a quartz, you will probably be dead before the watch dies.

to the dude that had a pin break... Come on!! that can happen to any watch, even the half a million dollar one.. Plus you can fix that for about 2 bucks shipped with a think heavy duty aftermarket one..

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 2.0T, 6MT, shadow blue Passat wagon
      04-17-2012 10:52 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by toooofastforu View Post
      also if you do get that watch remember if you get the automatic it does need to go in for service every 2-3 years for cleaning and lub job and all that other fun stuff and i think its like 250-300 for that.
      Well... that's too frequent for service IMO, unless you're swimming in salt water on a regular basis (which would wear down the seals quicker).

IMO service should be 5-7 years really. Particularly if you're not wearing it as a daily, then you could stretch it out to 8-9 years between services. That's for an automatic, btw. If hand wound, then for sure 5ish years if its daily.

But on the pins... c'mon... you can't judge a watch brand because pins break. They are an outsourced part and can fail. But keep this in mind, Patek and Rolex both use pins and I've heard stories of those breaking too.

My rule of thumb is that if a pin breaks, replace both with beefy pins. You can find them out there.

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 01:40 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by xtremevdub View Post
      Late to the Party...
      Tissot uses the same movements on their automatics as Tag Heuer.. so that takes care of that...
      And if it is a quartz, you will probably be dead before the watch dies.

to the dude that had a pin break... Come on!! that can happen to any watch, even the half a million dollar one.. Plus you can fix that for about 2 bucks shipped with a think heavy duty aftermarket one..
      This one is a battery so i'm assuming that means quartz movement?