Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cabin In The Woods (Horror)(Scripted by Joss Whedon) 2012

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      09-05-2012 12:45 PM #36
      The Blu Ray will be hitting stores like three days before my birthday too.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

2. 09-07-2012 12:54 PM #37
      Thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't take itself too seriously and pretty funny. Just gory enough to appease me.

09-22-2012 10:22 PM #38
      "let's get this party started".

Overall, pleasantly surprised. The way Bradley Whiteford's character bit it was irony at its best. The blowhole was a nice touch

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3, 2.0T & 1.0
      09-24-2012 11:12 AM #39
      I liked it a lot. Not as funny as "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" but was more suspenseful.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-26-2012 10:47 AM #40
      Watched this last night, and I think I'm one of the few people ambiguous about this movie. I didn't hate it the way my wife did and so many other people seem to, but I also felt it was trying too hard to be commentative and just ended up over the top and surreal.

It felt like a Wes Craven film in both a good and a bad way.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      09-26-2012 10:54 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Watched this last night, and I think I'm one of the few people ambiguous about this movie. I didn't hate it the way my wife did and so many other people seem to, but I also felt it was trying too hard to be commentative and just ended up over the top and surreal.

It felt like a Wes Craven film in both a good and a bad way.
      Did you understand it?

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-26-2012 11:28 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      Did you understand it?
      What's not to understand?

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      09-26-2012 11:37 AM #43
      I've talked to a lot of people that didn't understand the purpose of the film.

The Ancient Ones represent us, the audience. Hadley and Sitterson represent the writers of a horror movie. Sigourney Weaver represents the director of a horror movie.

The Ancient Ones demand a ritual that must meet certain criteria in order to please them. Much like we as an audience like our horror movies to be a certain way: young stereotypical teenagers who go off by themselves and one by one are killed. Hadley and Sitterson control the ritual to please the Gods, as writers of horror movies control the story to please the audience. If the ritual fails, the audience is dissatisfied. The ending of the world at the end is Joss Whedons and Drew Goddards way of saying that horror needs to be wiped out and started anew, without all the cliches and stereotypes because they are old and tired.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-26-2012 10:47 PM #44
      Good summary. The thing is I even agree with that perspective and what they were trying to say. As a film however, I just didn't like the execution. It was all thesis without a satisfying body, at least to me. Like I say, I didn't hate it.

Vehicles
      Two wheels+two pedals+Ale-powered kangaroo.
      09-26-2012 11:34 PM #45

The Ancient Ones represent us, the audience. Hadley and Sitterson represent the writers of a horror movie. Sigourney Weaver represents the director of a horror movie.

The Ancient Ones demand a ritual that must meet certain criteria in order to please them. Much like we as an audience like our horror movies to be a certain way: young stereotypical teenagers who go off by themselves and one by one are killed. Hadley and Sitterson control the ritual to please the Gods, as writers of horror movies control the story to please the audience. If the ritual fails, the audience is dissatisfied. The ending of the world at the end is Joss Whedons and Drew Goddards way of saying that horror needs to be wiped out and started anew, without all the cliches and stereotypes because they are old and tired.
      Interesting way of looking at it.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3, 2.0T & 1.0
      09-27-2012 09:12 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Interesting way of looking at it.
      I agree

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      09-27-2012 12:03 PM #47
      I can't take credit for it. I read that over on the IMDB boards, but it's how I saw the movie, I'm just not as articulate as he is.

Vehicles
      2009 E90 M3
      09-27-2012 03:25 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Good summary. The thing is I even agree with that perspective and what they were trying to say. As a film however, I just didn't like the execution. It was all thesis without a satisfying body, at least to me. Like I say, I didn't hate it.
      Entirely agree. There are plenty of well-made movies out there that are decently written, acted and filmed, but that I just don't particularly care for. This happens to be one of them.
      ///

Vehicles
      Twelve Valves of Fury
      10-02-2012 03:39 AM #49
      This movie was nuts! Just saw it through Redbox rental. I have to say though, after seeing what was hiding beneath the ground, the zombies wouldn't have been my first choice. Wife and I just looked at each other like this when the movie was over.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      10-15-2012 05:40 PM #50
      "Oh, come on!"

(You're all taking this movie way too seriously.)

16. Member
      11-04-2012 11:33 PM #51
      I finally got around to watching this earlier today and it definitely is one of the more unique takes on the good ol' fashioned horror movie. What was interesting was that it didn't really leave much of a twist to the viewer, instead setting the whole director-writer-gods setup from the get-go. In a way, because of that, I found the movie much more intriguing because you simply knew you weren't watching a run-of-the-mill horror movie!

7.5/10
      2003 Acura MDX Touring
      2008 Mercedes-Benz B200 Turbo

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      05-08-2013 09:30 AM #52
      A+ for being different. B+ on execution. ...but I definitely liked it a lot. It was campy and irreverent like some of the best cult 80s movies (ala Big Trouble in Little China). ...didnt take itself seriously at all. Freakin loved Merman and the Unicorn. ...and the dirt bike scene was awesome, because his fall just went on forever and ever. Totally over the top.

Edit to add... Its available on Netflix streaming

Also, the betting scene with the intern. LMFAO "They're maintenance...if they were creative, they wouldnt be in maintenance..."
      1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

18. 05-08-2013 01:38 PM #53

Interesting. I liked it because it was a sort of satire of ridiculous horror cliches. I'm a huge horror fan, but I think most of what's passed off as such, is formulaic garbage. And action movies marketed as horror.

Thing I got out of it, was it was an homage to a lot of great horror films at the same it made a little fun of the genre.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      08 Jetta 2.5
      05-09-2013 10:44 PM #54
      Watched this movie last night and thoroughly enjoyed it

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      05-10-2013 10:47 AM #55
      I still really need to buy this. Looking at Amazon, the Blu Ray is a dollar or so cheaper than the DVD.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

21. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI 1.8t, 07 Rabbit
      06-11-2013 04:59 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by EK20 View Post
      Haha, yeah, I loved the Unicorn.
      Just watched this and the gif of the unicorn is what finally got me to give the movie a chance. I figured it was either going to be b movie horrible or awesome. I think it did both in a good way. Let me add I am not normally a horror person.
      Quote Originally Posted by VikingVR6GTI View Post
      Yep, that was my first thought too. A nice set does not automatically make a chick attractive. Especially when that "chick" is a dude.
      Buy my 2.5L EVO header
      Buy my OZ Futuras

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12