Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 56

    Thread: The Cabin In The Woods (Horror)(Scripted by Joss Whedon) 2012

    1. Member Wrong Beach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2001
      Location
      Belmont Shore, CA
      Posts
      2,892
      Vehicles
      2004 volvo c70 hpt
      04-20-2012 09:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo.T View Post
      Does Whedon kill Wash again?

      No interest in horror, but I'll check it out for Joss' involvement.


      To me it was like an unrestrained buffy or angel episode with boobs.
      I found a liquor store, and i drank it!

    2. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Windsor, VT USA
      Posts
      25,224
      Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      04-22-2012 03:52 PM #27
      Must. See.

    3. 04-23-2012 10:58 AM #28
      Terrible story, great kills lol

    4. Member dubfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2002
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      3,888
      Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      05-13-2012 05:31 PM #29
      Saw this last night, and thought it was worth the bump.

      Good flick

      The gf didn't like it, though. Too scary
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

    5. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Windsor, VT USA
      Posts
      25,224
      Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      05-13-2012 05:59 PM #30
      I'm trying to convince my wife to see it based on it being "not too scary"

    6. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,252
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      05-13-2012 06:59 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I'm trying to convince my wife to see it based on it being "not too scary"
      My wife thought it was stupid after it turned out to be more fun than scary.

    7. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      17,039
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T, 2015 S3, 2001 4Runner
      08-28-2012 10:37 AM #32
      I watched this movie last night and loved every minute of it. It has every horror movie cliche yes, but that's the point. They are designing their own horror movie basically. The humor in it was great especially at the end when everything goes to ****(unicorn and merman).

    8. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,336
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      08-28-2012 01:19 PM #33
      Haha, yeah, I loved the Unicorn.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    9. Member Minker17's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2004
      Location
      Franklin, TN
      Posts
      14,838
      Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      09-04-2012 01:35 PM #34
      This movie is fantastic!
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

    10. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      32,949
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      09-04-2012 10:47 PM #35
      Great film! It felt like it was a satire on all horror film genre, including the bit with "director" at the end.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    11. Geriatric Member EK20's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2004
      Location
      Mill Creek, WA
      Posts
      81,336
      Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      09-05-2012 12:45 PM #36
      The Blu Ray will be hitting stores like three days before my birthday too.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

    12. 09-07-2012 12:54 PM #37
      Thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't take itself too seriously and pretty funny. Just gory enough to appease me.

    13. Member mx5er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      13,547
      09-22-2012 10:22 PM #38
      "let's get this party started".

      Overall, pleasantly surprised. The way Bradley Whiteford's character bit it was irony at its best. The blowhole was a nice touch

    14. Member PlatinumGLS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Shelby Township, MI
      Posts
      15,719
      Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      09-24-2012 11:12 AM #39
      I liked it a lot. Not as funny as "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" but was more suspenseful.

    15. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,588
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-26-2012 10:47 AM #40
      Watched this last night, and I think I'm one of the few people ambiguous about this movie. I didn't hate it the way my wife did and so many other people seem to, but I also felt it was trying too hard to be commentative and just ended up over the top and surreal.

      It felt like a Wes Craven film in both a good and a bad way.

    16. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      17,039
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T, 2015 S3, 2001 4Runner
      09-26-2012 10:54 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Watched this last night, and I think I'm one of the few people ambiguous about this movie. I didn't hate it the way my wife did and so many other people seem to, but I also felt it was trying too hard to be commentative and just ended up over the top and surreal.

      It felt like a Wes Craven film in both a good and a bad way.
      Did you understand it?

    17. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,588
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-26-2012 11:28 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      Did you understand it?
      What's not to understand?

    18. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      17,039
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T, 2015 S3, 2001 4Runner
      09-26-2012 11:37 AM #43
      I've talked to a lot of people that didn't understand the purpose of the film.

      The Ancient Ones represent us, the audience. Hadley and Sitterson represent the writers of a horror movie. Sigourney Weaver represents the director of a horror movie.

      The Ancient Ones demand a ritual that must meet certain criteria in order to please them. Much like we as an audience like our horror movies to be a certain way: young stereotypical teenagers who go off by themselves and one by one are killed. Hadley and Sitterson control the ritual to please the Gods, as writers of horror movies control the story to please the audience. If the ritual fails, the audience is dissatisfied. The ending of the world at the end is Joss Whedons and Drew Goddards way of saying that horror needs to be wiped out and started anew, without all the cliches and stereotypes because they are old and tired.

    19. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      14,588
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-26-2012 10:47 PM #44
      Good summary. The thing is I even agree with that perspective and what they were trying to say. As a film however, I just didn't like the execution. It was all thesis without a satisfying body, at least to me. Like I say, I didn't hate it.

    20. Senior Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      32,949
      Vehicles
      German/American/French
      09-26-2012 11:34 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      I've talked to a lot of people that didn't understand the purpose of the film.

      The Ancient Ones represent us, the audience. Hadley and Sitterson represent the writers of a horror movie. Sigourney Weaver represents the director of a horror movie.

      The Ancient Ones demand a ritual that must meet certain criteria in order to please them. Much like we as an audience like our horror movies to be a certain way: young stereotypical teenagers who go off by themselves and one by one are killed. Hadley and Sitterson control the ritual to please the Gods, as writers of horror movies control the story to please the audience. If the ritual fails, the audience is dissatisfied. The ending of the world at the end is Joss Whedons and Drew Goddards way of saying that horror needs to be wiped out and started anew, without all the cliches and stereotypes because they are old and tired.
      Interesting way of looking at it.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

    21. Member PlatinumGLS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Shelby Township, MI
      Posts
      15,719
      Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7 & 5.3
      09-27-2012 09:12 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Interesting way of looking at it.
      I agree

    22. Member DarkSideGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2001
      Location
      SL,UT
      Posts
      17,039
      Vehicles
      Bagged R32T, 2015 S3, 2001 4Runner
      09-27-2012 12:03 PM #47
      I can't take credit for it. I read that over on the IMDB boards, but it's how I saw the movie, I'm just not as articulate as he is.

    23. Member ElixXxeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2005
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      7,038
      Vehicles
      '09 E90 M3
      09-27-2012 03:25 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Good summary. The thing is I even agree with that perspective and what they were trying to say. As a film however, I just didn't like the execution. It was all thesis without a satisfying body, at least to me. Like I say, I didn't hate it.
      Entirely agree. There are plenty of well-made movies out there that are decently written, acted and filmed, but that I just don't particularly care for. This happens to be one of them.

    24. Senior Member VR6inAZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2002
      Location
      Scottsdale, AZ
      Posts
      26,183
      Vehicles
      Twelve Valves of Fury
      10-02-2012 03:39 AM #49
      This movie was nuts! Just saw it through Redbox rental. I have to say though, after seeing what was hiding beneath the ground, the zombies wouldn't have been my first choice. Wife and I just looked at each other like this when the movie was over.










    25. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2001
      Location
      Northeast, MA
      Posts
      1,326
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      10-15-2012 05:40 PM #50
      "Oh, come on!"

      (You're all taking this movie way too seriously.)




    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •