Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T3 Touareg

Vehicles
      08 Jetta and 12 Touareg TDI
      01-29-2012 07:57 PM #26
      Yep I have seen the 30.5 and rubbing reports on other forum's so I thought to play safe and stay either OEM diameter or next bigger.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      11 TDI Lux, cool silver/anthracite,11 Mazda CX-9 GT, 10 KTM 200 XCW, 11 KTM 250 XCF
      01-30-2012 10:47 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by kleinbus View Post
      Most of the new 2012 T3 Touareg's we checked on several dealers lot had 2" hitch receiver tube but no socket and I assume no coding either.

If it comes with the hitch, it should already be coded. On all 4 Touaregs I've had that came with the hitch, including my 2011 TDI Lux, all I had to do was install the Pollack socket and it worked. Hitches are installed at port and then coded. If its not, the dealer should do it as part of the predelivery prep.

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 09:31 AM #28

I didn't have the vag-com cable with me nor keys for each car while checked each T-reg so I really don't know was those coded or not so I will end this "it was - it wasn't".

Thanks to slimebag dealer, mine wasn't no matter I made clear I was heading to 1100 miles trip towing a trailer.

Next morning at home I connected the trailer to check does the drawbar keep the trailer on level I wanted and would the lights work as I had no issues on the Audi I used to tow the trailer.

Kneeled down to connect the plug to find out there was no socket. Lucky me it was Saturday so I drove back and shared my with sales manager, who didn't give a crap and I ended up paying the socket and coding as I didn't have time to play around with vag-com and have chance it might not work as I had to load the trailer and hit the road that very same night.

I just got the customer experience review survey and I spent long moment to share what happened and checked the box for VW NA to feel free to call if there was something unclear about the situation and why I ranked the Utah dealer as one of the last places I would go again...

On my previous Audi's and VW's the towing module was not coded.
      Last edited by kleinbus; 01-31-2012 at 10:13 PM.

4. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      01-31-2012 11:58 AM #29
      and the suspension lift is something I have to sort out. I know German SEIKEL makes new struts but I rather spend that 2k for power module to kick out more torque

Planning to order 25mm think aluminum plates and machine spacers between the shock and chassis

Time will show what comes out from this cooking
      As you raise the vehicle up more and more, doesn't that put more stress on the CV joints, axles and prop shaft as the angles at which they have to work are greater?

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 12:34 PM #30
      Yes and that is why I have no intention to go crazy with this...

At curb weigth the axles are pretty horizontal so I have to test what 10mm or 20mm spacer between the strut and chassis do.

I'm not much worried about the curb (normal) driving position as the shock all the way out (extended) while wheel is hanging on air is the most extreme position and with spacer the angle gets greater but such situation means I'm off-roading and speeds are walking speeds, not going 90mph.

The aluminum isn't expensive and but the machining is so all I waste is time with machining and fitting and measuring as at the end, if it doesn't please my eye then I will trash the idea as this is my daily drive so durability is more important than suspension lift.

If I wanna do serious off-roading, I will get either Mercedes Unimog or Pinzgauer 4x4 or 6x6

Vehicles
      2010 V6 TDI Touareg
      01-31-2012 05:35 PM #31

I just got the customer experience review survey and I spent long moment to share what happened and checked the box for VW NA to feel free to call if there was something unclear about the situation and why I ranked the Utah dealer as one of the last places I would go again...
      I am curious, what dealer was it, Strongs or Southtowne?

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 07:07 PM #32
      Bad rap got the right peoples attention as after the customer satisfaction review I filled up, today I got email from the company and they will reimburse me the amount I paid to get the electric socket installed and trailer module activated.

Long term "dealer testing" shall proceed

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 08:42 PM #33
      Went to test how VAG-COM measures the acceleration and once I figure out how to measure the elevation change then this will get much better...

Slight uphill on D from stand still.

9. 02-03-2012 12:11 AM #34
      I found this very interesting and made a copy of the SB to give to my dealer next week at the follow-up appt. kleinbus we have the exact same car, I picked mine up at a downtown KC dealer. Not to happy with some of the ongoing problems but gotta say, I love the Treg, the motor and the way she tows. After my recent service the AD Blue light cam on and said I had 1400 miles of Ad Blu miles remaining. I was a bit put off that they didn't actually service the blue juice during it's scheduled service. Took the car back for the other problems and they couldn't figure out why the service light came on since they said they did service the AD Blue. Perhaps the SB may be warranted.

Other issues: Drop Bluetooth connectivity, poor cell phone reception through car, rear wiper misses a 4 inch swath a couple inches up from the bottom, repeated wheel vibration, Headlight beam "Jiggles" with road bumps. All those aside and one of the most frustrating issues, why oh why can't the key FOBs be programed. Example, you can open the rear hatch with the FOB, accidently leave your FOB laying inside the rear of the vehicle, press the hatch button and OOPS, the hatch closes, locks and Oh Yes all the other doors never unlocked so your stuck... call a taxi cause your walkin.

I’d be very interested in talking with the local KC Touareg people to do some Vag COm upgrades and others changes, like small lift, aggressive winter treads etc..., bobby
      Last edited by bby356; 02-03-2012 at 09:00 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI with Nav., 2008 Porsche C2S, 2003 M-B E320
      02-03-2012 10:49 AM #35
      After adding the urea, it is important to turn the ignition to "on" without starting the vehicle and wait for at least 30 seconds. This enables the computer to recognize the urea level in the tank. I wonder if the service folks follow this procedure.

Vehicles
      02-03-2012 11:40 AM #36
      Good to know as I bought the small (0.5 gal) and large jug (2 gal) of AdBlue from my dealer so I top it off myself and don't need to drive 60 miles to dealer to be unsure did they check it or not.

Once I empty the small (which haves thread on its neck and is screwed on to the neck of AdBlue tank), I will cut off the bottom and us it as funnel for the larger jug.

12. 02-03-2012 09:07 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by VW/Porsche Fahrer View Post
      After adding the urea, it is important to turn the ignition to "on" without starting the vehicle and wait for at least 30 seconds. This enables the computer to recognize the urea level in the tank. I wonder if the service folks follow this procedure.
      Excellent question, I sent them an email, after reading the thread regarding an Ad Blue upgrade, and the response came back that they already did the upgrade. I will ask them however my confidence factor that I'll get a staright answer is slim to none. I would think that after an engine shutdown it would reset just like the other computer monitored sensors. The appooinmtnet isnt until mid week, mean time the ad blue milage count down continues... less then 800 remaining,, wonder what happens if she gets to "Zero"... NEXUS... 5th dimension... Dark Matter Inversion...tiime travel... end of time as we know it?...Stay Tuned...

Vehicles
      02-03-2012 11:43 PM #38
      Once AdBlue tank is completely empty and as without AdBlue the vehicle can't meet the emission requirements, it will keep going as long as engine is kept running but WILL NOT start again untill it's filled up so it means you either better have jug of AdBlue or get flatbed to take the car to dealer.

This is on all vehicles, passenger car, vans / pickups and 18-wheelers (as design engineer I spend last year working with urea based emission control systems for 18-wheelers)

I guess the 30 sec is common "reset" activator for VW's as when I did reset the transmission, it also needed the 30 seconds procedure (keep pedal floored).

If someone needs to fill the AdBlue, its under the spare wheel so take the wheel off and you will see the fill neck...
      Last edited by kleinbus; 02-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Vehicles
      02-16-2012 09:29 PM #39
      2011-2012 owners with amber tail blinkers (probably ROW folks), please post or PM me the vag-com scan from your car so I could see the coding difference and what it would need to convert the NA brakelight blinkers to amber.

The housing and base haves the own reflector and bulb holder so who knows....

15. 02-20-2012 02:16 PM #40
      2011-2012 owners with amber tail blinkers (probably ROW folks), please post or PM me the vag-com scan from your car so I could see the coding difference and what it would need to convert the NA brakelight blinkers to amber.

The housing and base haves the own reflector and bulb holder so who knows....
      Been curious about this as well. I don't have a VAG-COM or I would help here. I was hoping for just an LED swap but did take off my drivers rear taillight and saw the blinker housing with reflector though there looks to be some plastic that will need to be cut out of the reflector since it blocks the bulb hole.

I'll take pics the next time i'm in there.

Have you tested voltage on the terminals when the blinker is on? That was my next step next time I was in there.

Vehicles
      02-20-2012 05:19 PM #41
      I doubt there is sparkie as the blinker is still active on brake light.

With right coding the computer should change the brakelight blinker to own bulb and then there should be power...

Vehicles
      02-25-2012 11:36 PM #42
      Preparing for winter

Found Oem 18" Manhattan rims from ebay and these will be have the Blizzaks on one of these days

The backside is suppose to be silver as well it would be nice it people would actually handwash the car's (and rims) and not use the darn car wash at gas station

Last edited by kleinbus; 03-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Vehicles
      03-04-2012 06:21 PM #43
      The hitch rattle was driving me nuts on my old Audi Q5 so I created a solution...

Well, the steel drawbar doesn't match the Touareg tow rating as the steel was just 6000 lbs so I found 10,000 lbs forged aluminum towbar.

The pin hole distance to ball didn't match the Touareg "requirement" so I cut the tail shorter and then machined new pinhole closer to ball.

and as I didn't want to drill the hole through the shank, I bought the hitch "anti-rattle" thingie from etrailer

etrailer shows the thingie opposite way (pulling up) which doesn't make sense to me as the trailer is pushing it down?

Last edited by kleinbus; 03-05-2012 at 07:51 PM.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Sport, that replaced a 2006 V8 with all the options. Missing some of those !
      03-05-2012 04:41 PM #44
      Looking at your front grill it looks like you have the parking sensors? Did you add them ?

I thought those only came on Exec's ?

Vehicles
      03-05-2012 07:49 PM #45
      I thought front and rear parking sensors are standard on North America models. The Exe is suppose to have camera but Japan tsunami screwed everything up and most of car manufacturers were short of cameras.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Touareg TDI Sport
      03-05-2012 11:01 PM #46
      I thought front and rear parking sensors are standard on North America models.
      Got a rear camera, but no parking sensors

//greg//

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 09:20 AM #47
      I would rather have rear camera than front/rear sensors but it is what it is.

I met fellow member and his 2012 TDI is same as mine, both cars have front/rear sensors.

23. 03-06-2012 09:37 AM #48
      I'm interested in the issue of VAG-COM coding as it relates to trailering. My 2011 TDI had the tow package but not the socket. I installed the Pollack unit without issue and have now used it a few times. I never took it to the dealer nor asked the dealer when I purchased to alter any coding. The trailer brakes have worked properly since the first use, as well as all of the other functions associated with having a trailer connected.

what is the re-coding supposed to accomplish?

Vehicles
      03-06-2012 09:55 AM #49
      Depends what you mean with "recoding".

In engine, central electronics and trailer control modules is bit (zero or one) depending is hitch installed or not.

Some says theirs didn't need coding (Jon and few other members).

My dealer said they had to take mine in for coding so I'm not sure did they BS or did it need the coding as I didn't have my Ross-Tech cable nor laptop nor time to goof around with it as next day Sunday we were heading to 1100 miles trip with trailer so it had to work.

I have already had my lesson about dealers so I wonder why I ever bother trusting them....

Who knows if the factory installed hitch is already activated (coded)?

For sure who ever does the hitch structure installation by themselves and install the trailer module (like I did on my Audi Q5), in such case it will need coding.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Touareg TDI Sport
      03-06-2012 10:01 AM #50
      I would rather have rear camera than front/rear sensors but it is what it is.
      I met fellow member and his 2012 TDI is same as mine, both cars have front/rear sensors.
      Agreed.
      Mine is a pre-earthquake car. It's my understanding that the parking sensors represented a gapfiller solution until such time as Japanese camera production once again satisfied the global demand.

//greg//
      Last edited by grohgreg; 03-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast