Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jettas in ITB?

1. 01-14-2012 09:52 PM #1
      Looking to make the move from drag racing into road racing and just looking for some info.

I searched around a bit and didnt see too many mk3 jettas in ITB. In the GCR it seems they've made the weight limit equal vs. the GTI compared to previous years. I have tons to learn when it comes to suspension but are there any huge pros and cons of a jetta vs. gti and would it even be worth the work to be competitive?

Thanks in advance for any help

Vehicles
      FSP. ITB,wide body,Chumpcar
      01-16-2012 10:55 AM #2
      Mk 3 woks well in ITB. They cost a little more because , so far, the controller for the FI needs to be changed to Megasquirt , but other than some gears and the 2.0 they are pretty good and the same as the Mk 2.
      They seem to cover the weight spread well. They arent worth anything, so theymake a good race car.
      The nice Mk 2 are worth money now.
      The http://www.fwdracingguide.com/ Money back guarantee!, You can go 100$ faster with this 20$ guide
      Mike and Michael Ogren, Protech Racing,25 yrs of Racing VWs. mogren@tampabay.rr.com[/email], 352.428/8983
      ]

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      01-16-2012 05:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by nofear0788 View Post
      Looking to make the move from drag racing into road racing and just looking for some info.

I searched around a bit and didnt see too many mk3 jettas in ITB. In the GCR it seems they've made the weight limit equal vs. the GTI compared to previous years. I have tons to learn when it comes to suspension but are there any huge pros and cons of a jetta vs. gti and would it even be worth the work to be competitive?

Thanks in advance for any help
      I track a MKII GLi, not competitively, just PDX. Having the trunk gives you some weight over the rear axle which is nice vs a GTI. I have no problem with my Jetta on the track. It's nice having 4 doors when loading tires and such in the back.

Cheers,

FLi

01-17-2012 03:03 PM #4
      There is only one Mk3 Jetta that I have heard of that made weight in ITB (before the recent increase), and some felt there were some illegal steps taken to get there. This will be the only issue for a Jetta. It is heavier.

I think it will be a touch better on aero, with the trunk back there. I actually had picked up an A2 Jett to build and compare to my Golf, but unloaded it because there is no way I have time to build another car with 2 kids, a career and evening grad school...

If it can get to weight, I can't think of any reason not to try a Jetta.

That said, anyone remotely considering racing a VW in ITB would be smart to just buy the one for sale in this forum right now for $9k. For a point of reference with my A2, starting with a free shell it was $5k to get it on track, and an additional $5k to make it a front runner. That is with a huge percentage of doing it ourselves, searching out deals and trading for parts.
      Chris
      2007 GTI 16v, 4 door, 6sp (well really that one is Brandy's)
      2004.5 Passat Wagon 20v, 1.8t, 4mo, 5sp
      1986 GTI 8v road racer - DIYAutoTune.com