Vehicles
      volkswagens.
      01-15-2012 04:03 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      Yes, but the precedent has been set.
      do you has cite?

2. 01-15-2012 04:07 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Noisyninja View Post
      Unless your state constitution says otherwise, there is no right under the federal Constitution to be told why you are being pulled over.
      There's also no where in the federal constitution that says I HAVE to have health insurance, and yet due to a recent law that congress passed I do. Point being just because its not in the federal constitution doesn't mean its not a law, or that the courts haven't made a uling requiring it.

as far as the taping/recording issues, I have a real problem not being allowed to tape/film/record an officer without thier consent when I am pulled over since they are allowed to record me without my consent. Most officer carry a voice recorder with them to record any communication during a traffic stop.

at the same time, Police do have a dangerous job, and I try to make them feel as safe and comfortable as possible when they stop me. and as much as they piss you off sometimes, they are trying to serve and protect you. They don't make the laws they enforce them.

01-15-2012 04:09 PM #38
      According to the Federal Government, now you can.
      Weed is also Federally illegal, but I see dispensaries all over the place here in SoCal

4. 01-15-2012 04:11 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 92skirmishgti View Post
      Weed is also Federally illegal, but I see dispensaries all over the place here in SoCal
      Federal law supersedes state law.

5. 01-15-2012 04:13 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 92skirmishgti View Post
      According to their definition of schedule 1 narcotics, weed should not be on the list.
      So there is one of many loop holes to get around the Feds.

6. 01-15-2012 04:15 PM #41
      You are in a Fiat, he will just laugh at you.

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      01-15-2012 04:19 PM #42
      all this windows down, dome light on, keys on the dash, hands in plain sight stuff seems like a bad idea, and sends one message to the cop. "I've been pulled over before/I have planned on being pulled over"

If I ever get pulled over again I'm going to leave the engine on and start fumbling for my registration in the glove compartment while he is back there running my plate.
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      '73 Reg Beetle, '95 855, '97 Golf CL, '00 Forester S, '02 Jetta TDI
      01-15-2012 04:36 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      this.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      01-15-2012 04:37 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by dtrain88 View Post
      There's also no where in the federal constitution that says I HAVE to have health insurance, and yet due to a recent law that congress passed I do. Point being just because its not in the federal constitution doesn't mean its not a law, or that the courts haven't made a uling requiring it.
      The Constitution doesn't tell citizens they HAVE to do anything so I'm not really sure what your point is.

I'm not really sure what your understanding of the Constitution is but the Constitution is not a list of "laws." It outlines the powers of the three branches of federal government and its series of Amendments include some personal rights as well as clarify some of those powers.

Federal laws can only be passed by Congress and the only thing the Constitution does is make sure that Congress actually has the power to do so and makes sure the law does not fly in the face of those series of personal rights.
      We all talk with knives.

10. 01-15-2012 04:37 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post

11. 01-15-2012 04:40 PM #46
      Make sure you hook the phone up to your tinfoil helmet so you can beam your video feed out into space. I want to watch it live.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDubber View Post
      After reading the story of the guy that got pulled over for... well, basically nothing, I've decided to exercise a new method when being pulled over. When the PO walks up to my window, I'll start recording video on my cell phone. I'll let him know that I'm doing it so as to not seem like I'm trying to trick anyone, and will also let him know that I'm doing it to protect myself if/when I decide to fight whatever BS ticket I'm about to get in court. Before he/she has a chance to walk back to their car to run my information, I'll make sure to ask them very specifically what I'm being cited for, what they saw, and how they were sure that they were not mistaken.

99 times out of 100, you know if you were doing something wrong (speeding) or if you are being pulled over for the sake of harassment.

PS: I understand that there is a good change that the PO will that you're being a dick and wants to nickle and dime you about tint or lack of front plate... it may just be worth it to see how uncomfortable he/she gets and will likely avoid you having to go to court for a BS speeding ticket.

PPS: If I'm being stopped for speeding or something else that I know I did wrong, I go out of my way to make sure the PO is comfortable and feels safe. Hands on the top of the wheel, keys on the dash board, dome lights on, and notify them of me having to reach for anything before I do it. I've been pulled over for things I should have gotten a ticket for ~ 10 times. I've gotten one ticket... much because of this, I think. If you can put the PO at ease and even engage them in a bit of conversation, your chances of being let off are exponentially higher.

12. 01-15-2012 05:16 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Noisyninja View Post
      The Constitution doesn't tell citizens they HAVE to do anything so I'm not really sure what your point is.

I'm not really sure what your understanding of the Constitution is but the Constitution is not a list of "laws." It outlines the powers of the three branches of federal government and its series of Amendments include some personal rights as well as clarify some of those powers.

Federal laws can only be passed by Congress and the only thing the Constitution does is make sure that Congress actually has the power to do so and makes sure the law does not fly in the face of those series of personal rights.
      The point is, you said that there is no right in the constitution requiring cops to tell you why you have been stopped, and while that is true, that doesn't mean there is no federal law requiring them to.

I know exactly what the constitution is, what it says, and what it's for. I didn't say thge constituion required me to have health insurance, I said there is a fed. law requiring it. I wasn't sure if you understood that just because something is not mentioned (such as being informed why you have been pulled over) in the constition doesn't mean there is no fed. law or court precdence on the subject.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      01-15-2012 05:22 PM #48
      In before the overused "Those who give up liberty" quote.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      01-15-2012 05:26 PM #49

Quote Originally Posted by dtrain88
      I know exactly what the constitution is, what it says, and what it's for. I didn't say thge constituion required me to have health insurance, I said there is a fed. law requiring it. I wasn't sure if you understood that just because something is not mentioned (such as being informed why you have been pulled over) in the constition doesn't mean there is no fed. law or court precdence on the subject.
      @Dtrain, yeah, you mentioned the "Federal Constitution" explicitly in your first post when you started talking about health insurance. If you're going to make claims about things you did and did not say, have the decency to do so in un-recorded, spoken conversation when others can't just go back and find the exact text to show what you did and did not say.

In the meantime, STFU.
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      01-15-2012 05:27 PM #50
      The point is, you said that there is no right in the constitution requiring cops to tell you why you have been stopped, and while that is true, that doesn't mean there is no federal law requiring them to.
      Yes, that is correct. So, we're back where we started.
      We all talk with knives.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-15-2012 05:37 PM #51
      You are forgetting to tape the part where you didn't do anything wrong to get pulled over, you big dummy. Taping the cop at your window does what?

17. 01-15-2012 05:41 PM #52
      ...want to know how I know OP is Caucasian?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      CTS-V
      01-15-2012 05:46 PM #53
      here are some tips:

1. Just be polite. Asking questions, if done so in a manner that does not imply that you think I'm an idiot or that you could not have possibly done something wrong and I am happy to converse with you.

2. Ask, BEFORE I go back to my car, for a warning. When people ask, unless they were way over the limit or doing something very careless, I will check their license and let them go. Even if they were 20mph over, I will always issue the cite for 75 in a 65 instead of 95 in a 65 or something like that.

3. If you still insist on filming, when you tell the cop that you are filming, say something like this, "Officer, I just want you to know that I am filming this stop. I have had some really bad experiences in the past that have cost me a lot of time and money and I just want to protect myself." Respectful and polite, no problems. Cops know that there are some cops that are asshats and understand that there are some people that have had less than nice interactions with the police.

Last thing. If you come off like your post you are starting a war you can't win. I have all the legal right in the world to initiate a "safety inspection" of your vehicle and here in Nevada, I am allowed to take up to 60 minutes to complete my stop. The more attitude you give, the more you get.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      01-15-2012 05:49 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by VA-Dubber View Post
      ...want to know how I know OP is Caucasian?
      Drives a Fiat 500 instead of a Chrysler 300?
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      01-15-2012 05:51 PM #55
      Here's what I do:

1. Pull over
      2. Roll down windows
      3. Turn off radio
      4. Stick arm out the window with license, insurance and registration
      5. Accept ticket

Did that the last time I got pulled over and didn't get a ticket. I think the cop was happy I made life easier for him. No worries about me trying to pull some crap.

21. 01-15-2012 05:51 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      In before the overused "Those who give up liberty" quote.
      Guess you did not take the time to read the thread...

01-15-2012 05:53 PM #57
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      01-15-2012 05:56 PM #58
      Guess you did not take the time to read the thread...
      I wouldn't have typed that if I hadn't.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-15-2012 05:57 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      I told myself I wouldn't have a sig...
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

25. 01-15-2012 05:57 PM #60
      Even if it is absolutely legal by law, you still run the risk of the cop sticking his gun in your face and taking you down to the pavement.

26. 01-15-2012 05:59 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      I wouldn't have typed that if I hadn't.
      Sorry, it was in the tread from which this thread spawned and also contains almost the same ramblings.

01-15-2012 06:02 PM #62
      Antagonizing a cop the second he/she gets to your window sounds like a smart plan.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      01-15-2012 06:05 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      If I got pulled over in a Fiat 500, I'd just act like a flagrant homosexual.
      You ain't gonna be fooling anyone in a Fiat 500. We all know that all the flagrant homo's are driving a Beetle.

..or Huyndai Tiburon:

Last edited by vasillalov; 01-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.

29. 01-15-2012 06:07 PM #64
      WTF would be the reasoning that you aren't allowed to record a police officer? don't the donut eaters always say "if your doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about"? I'm glad it works both ways

Vehicles
      2013 GMC Terrain, 2008 Jetta 2.5
      01-15-2012 06:10 PM #65
      Videotaping a cop is great way to MAKE sure you get a ticket.

Pull WAY far over and dont be an idiot and stop where you are going to hold a bunch of people up - then roll down all windows and turn your car off. Put your keys on your dash, put your four-ways on, and dont do another damn thing. Dont get your license or anything until the officer is at your window - and tell him what you are doing. If there is any chance you will not get a ticket - it is by doing these things.

Trust me.

01-15-2012 06:13 PM #66
      According to the Federal Government, now you can.
      Quote Originally Posted by tgilb2007 View Post
      Federal law supersedes state law.
      Then explain why stores are allowed to sell a federally illegal narcotic?

01-15-2012 06:14 PM #67
      i tend to think that LEO's have a difficult enough job and no matter what my rights are, it's best to be as polite, cooperative and non-abrasive as possible during any encounter with police (whether i've done something wrong or not).

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      01-15-2012 06:16 PM #68
      Those who are recording, is this audio only with the phone on the dash or something? Or are people actually recording video? If so how do you frame up a shot without hassles from the police?

34. Member
      Vehicles
      93 D250 Cummins 07 Outback
      01-15-2012 06:17 PM #69
      Or you can request the supervising officer to come out, ask the police vehicle that was used to pull you over completely sealed as evidence, ask for a tow truck to take it to a secure facility, and inform the officers it will be unsealed at court. Then state you are preserving evidence and state the ease of video manipulation requires constant 24hr care is needed of the whole vehicle.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      01-15-2012 06:17 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by robhurlburt View Post
      WTF would be the reasoning that you aren't allowed to record a police officer? don't the donut eaters always say "if your doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about"? I'm glad it works both ways
      I personally agree that people should be free to film police while in public space, but...

The reasoning I imagine is the same as when police ask crowds to dispense around crime scenes. Crowds get restless, unruly, and disruptive. Not just to the police but to the rest of the general public. When you have a crowd you have bad seeds and now you need even more police to control the crowd. Also, like rubberneckers who cause traffic jams, a mob in the middle of an urban street will block the flow of vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
      We all talk with knives.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast