Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F-35C may not be suitable for carrier use

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-17-2012 03:27 PM #36
      My question is why are we wasting money on the F-35 when we could either upgrade the F-16 or just get the Eurofighter or Rafale?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter_Typhoon

In 2004, United States Air Force Chief of Staff General John P. Jumper said after flying the Eurofighter, "I have flown all the air force jets. None was as good as the Eurofighter."
      Just to stir the pot a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harbaugh
      Who's got it better then us?!? ...... Nooooo-body!!!

01-17-2012 06:19 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Zombiee313 View Post
      You don't have to make F-15/F-16/A-10 stealthy... cruise missiles, B-2 bombers, and electronic warfare take out the need for stealth.....
      The F-35/JSF is an export aircraft, while the B-2 is not. While it's fine and dandy for the US to use the B-2 as our primary stealth bomber, that still leaves all of the partner countries without a stealth bomber, as they do not have access to our B-2's.

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-17-2012 07:38 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      ... as they do not have access to our B-2's.
      tough **** they should develop their own

Any of the countries that we want have their own ELECTRONIC COUNTERMEASURES.... plus we would probably help them out with our ECM / Stealth abilities... you only really need those when you are establishing air superiority... once you have air superiority then those measures are not as much of a concern
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      01-17-2012 08:16 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Zombiee313 View Post
      My question is why are we wasting money on the F-35 when we could either upgrade the F-16 or just get the Eurofighter or Rafale?
      Because they don't create any jobs in the districts of porky senators.

Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      ...it's fine and dandy for the US to use the B-2 as our primary stealth bomber...
      All, what?... 2 dozen of 'em?
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog |ights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-17-2012 08:30 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Because they don't create any jobs in the districts of porky senators.
      Stupid government fraud and abuse

All, what?... 2 dozen of 'em?
      23.... didn't they crash and burn with one in Guam a couple months ago or something.... Wasn't that the Spirit of San Francisco.... get it crashed and burned.... because it went up in flames....

get it? don't worry I will be here all week folks... be sure to tip your waitresses

6. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      01-17-2012 08:36 PM #41
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog |ights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-17-2012 08:44 PM #42
      I posted a new thread with a Poll to talk about the F-35 vs other options.... just want to see your opinions

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      01-17-2012 11:02 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Gern_Blanston View Post
      Ack!! The F-35 program always gets me wound up when I think about it!
      The thing that no one want to admit is that vertical landing, while it's a really neat stunt, is almost never used in combat conditions and imposes huge compromises on an aircraft's performance, basically turning it into a one-trick pony. Talk to a Harrier pilot some time. They are slow, short-legged (and maintenance hogs) that are fun to fly at airshows.
      I actually did

Worked with one, as a matter of fact, David Poole, CDR, RN. He was VP of Engineering of a small aerospace startup I worked at in the 90s. He flew the Sea Harrier during carrier trials. Has a Martin-Baker tie from it, too. Also flew F-4s during the Falklands era, developed high-AOA air combat tactics for the Royal Navy. His specialty was controlling yaw at high AOA using differential thrust.

He quite liked the Harrier, actually, thought it a MUCH underrated air-to-air platform, particularly as a dogfighter (!) because of its low observable characteristics. Had a very small frontal cross section and relatively clean-burning exhaust. In contrast to say, F-14s, which he often went up against in simulated air combat exercises and which he derided as "great big smoky things".

When I pressed him to pick an airplane he actually would choose to go to war in, though, he somewhat shamefacedly picked the F/A-18 as the best compromise of airframe, avionics, weapons. He wasn't happy about it, though He really loved his F-4s -- "big, fast, loud -- very American".
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-17-2012 11:10 PM #44
      At least the F-35B can use a carrier

10. 01-18-2012 12:26 AM #45
      Damn I miss the F-14...

Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      01-18-2012 12:38 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by AlexVespaTx View Post
      Damn I miss the F-14...
      Think we need to go back to 1 mission 1 jet days...all these multirole do everything under the sun jets are horrible. Every hear the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none," thats what the JSF is gonna be. Be able to do alot, just not very good at all the task

12. 01-18-2012 10:03 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Ikey3125 View Post
      Think we need to go back to 1 mission 1 jet days...all these multirole do everything under the sun jets are horrible. Every hear the phrase "jack of all trades, master of none," thats what the JSF is gonna be. Be able to do alot, just not very good at all the task
      That works fine and dandy when you have an airbase that can park tons of planes. On a carrier where space is an issue for parking/maintenance/etc. it would seem that multirole aircraft can solve a lot of the problems.

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-18-2012 01:49 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      That works fine and dandy when you have an airbase that can park tons of planes. On a carrier where space is an issue for parking/maintenance/etc. it would seem that multirole aircraft can solve a lot of the problems.
      It solves some problems, but it also creates a bunch of problems.

Multi-role Aircraft = Compromised Airframe that can do different things, but none of it exceptionally well

I do like that they are replacing the EA-6B with the EF/A-18G ... that is a good job by the Navy

Vehicles
      1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      01-29-2012 11:26 AM #49
      I just caught this thread and just watched that video and I tend to agree.

The F-35 seems to be too big of a compromise to do everything everyone wants it to. While the B Version can land vertically, its appears that it would take longer to cycle jets that way than the 'old fashion' way.

I think different, purpose specific aircraft are still the way to go.
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      01-31-2012 12:28 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
      When I pressed him to pick an airplane he actually would choose to go to war in, though, he somewhat shamefacedly picked the F/A-18 as the best compromise of airframe, avionics, weapons. He wasn't happy about it, though He really loved his F-4s -- "big, fast, loud -- very American".
      Hell yeah! Best aircraft ever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12