Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 16v not starting unless.....

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 ML320 / 1981 16v Sport Truck/ 97 Golf
      01-16-2012 08:44 PM #1
      Hopefully this will be quick and painless for you more knowledgeable folks.

My engine will not start unless I pull one or all of the injectors out. If I leave them in it will just crank and crank and crank. Seems like it wants to start, but never does. I've determined I'm getting spark and fuel out of the injectors.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited: This is a 1989 16v engine out of a Jetta that in now installed in a 1981 VW Truck. If that matters.
      Last edited by elomont; 01-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      01-17-2012 11:27 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by elomont View Post
      Hopefully this will be quick and painless for you more knowledgeable folks.

My engine will not start unless I pull one or all of the injectors out. If I leave them in it will just crank and crank and crank. Seems like it wants to start, but never does. I've determined I'm getting spark and fuel out of the injectors.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited: This is a 1989 16v engine out of a Jetta that in now installed in a 1981 VW Truck. If that matters.

wtf, how?

do you not have power to the idle stabilizer valve?

how bout the cold start valve?

if you give it throttle while cranking, will it start?

Vehicles
      1987 GTI 16v, 2013 Golf R
      01-17-2012 12:32 PM #3
      can you verify you are getting enough air in the system? this may be a crazy thought but it seems like by taking out the injector your creating a vacuum leak allowing that much more air into the system. although i can't see how you'd have that big of a block from the intake but, just a thought.. i've never heard of the car only starting when the injector IS pulled only.

edit: try and put that injector back in once the car starts.. best to have 2 people doing this so there is a minimum amount of atomized fuel spraying everywhere. what happens when trying this?

Vehicles
      1993 Cabriolet Classic 2.0 16vt on MS1 v2.2
      01-19-2012 07:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pix View Post
      can you verify you are getting enough air in the system? this may be a crazy thought but it seems like by taking out the injector your creating a vacuum leak allowing that much more air into the system. although i can't see how you'd have that big of a block from the intake but, just a thought.. i've never heard of the car only starting when the injector IS pulled only.

edit: try and put that injector back in once the car starts.. best to have 2 people doing this so there is a minimum amount of atomized fuel spraying everywhere. what happens when trying this?
      Vac leak idea makes sense but how does it start without objectors/fuel. Anyways, does it start it u hold the pedal down? Ur TB opening is completely closed on start ups and no isv or cold start valve will cause ur car not to start...unless u pump the throttle allowing air to enter ur manifold.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 ML320 / 1981 16v Sport Truck/ 97 Golf
      04-24-2012 03:54 PM #5
      I was just complaining about unfinished forum posts and no "cure" or "resolute outcome" at the end.

Hence, my post now.

If I remember correctly, the issue was related to my distributor being rotated too far in one direction. I think I did this while trying to get it started.

The fix I tried was to rotate the distributor just a bit and then try to start it. If it failed to start I went back and rotated it a bit more until it kicked over and started. Then I fine tuned from that point.