Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Heading to Whistler.. IN 4 DAYS!!

1. Member
      01-17-2012 11:55 AM #1
      I AM FREAKING PSYCHED!!!!

- Just picked up a new board (Salomon Man's Board). Rode it yesterday (at Hunter, NY. Crappy conditions, but the board RIPS!!)

- Crazy snowfall already in BC.. with a few more feet in the forecast this week!

- Booked a HELI trip for Tuesday, the 24th!

I've never been to Whistler. I see that phreshanphunky was just there.. and I'm pretty sure a few of you guys have been there before as well.

ANY tips on places to check out? Parts of the mountain to hit? My crew and I are all pretty proficient riders, so the steeper.. the deeper.. the better!

I CAN'T WAIT!! I hope everyone is making the best of a not-so-great season so far!!

- Matty
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 01-19-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      01-17-2012 01:40 PM #2
      Can I come?

Trying to put together a B.C. trip right now and it isn't working out great.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      [Current]: AlpineWhite AHU Tdi Jetta [Old]: WindsorBlue AAZ Jetta [Older]: Tornado Red DigiII Jetta
      01-17-2012 01:50 PM #3
      hah, living in vancouver gives me great access to whistler!

Totally fun.

Friday forecasts for just under a foot of new snow.

As for parts of the mountains to hit up and ride?

Blackcomb, Spanky's ladder. a bit of a hike from the Glacier Express, but it accesses really open wide terrain. The fact that it's a hike deters a few from wanting to experience it.

Also while your on blackcomb, taking the Glacier express, then sliding down to the Showcase t-bar will give you access to the Blackcomb glacier, which is a REALLY open area that provides more than enough access for anyone. You can hike up higher to access untouched or you can simply strap in from there and slide down. The end of the run wraps back down to the Exxcelerator chair.

ON whistler, Harmony and Symphony provide you with some good bowls, and decent terrain.

From Harmony, it accesses the glacier bowl, which can lead you back to the Peak Express. From the top of the Peak express, you have a variety of options. One that I've always liked personally was to take the peak to creek [upper] and then access the area that is beyond the patrolled line. That will provide a fantastic tree run that should access the black diamond runs that are cut on the lower peak to creek.

all while leading you back towards the creekside gondola, to give you a lift back up.

If you do manage to wind up on creekside whistler after the mountain closes, expect to take transit or a cab back to the village. It's usually a 8-10 dollar cab ride.

4. Member
      01-17-2012 02:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Can I come?

Trying to put together a B.C. trip right now and it isn't working out great.
      Dude! Totally!! We'll be there from 1/21 - 1/28 (Sat - Sat). Staying at the "Symphony" condos (we have 2 condos for 13 guys + a few guys are staying at "Stoney Creek Lodge" as well)

We booked a heli day for Tuesday, 1/24. There's room in the heli if you want to join there as well. PM me for more details... you're totally welcome to join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Phreshnphunky View Post

Totally fun.

Blackcomb, Spanky's ladder. a bit of a hike from the Glacier Express, but it accesses really open wide terrain. The fact that it's a hike deters a few from wanting to experience it.

Also while your on blackcomb, taking the Glacier express, then sliding down to the Showcase t-bar will give you access to the Blackcomb glacier, which is a REALLY open area that provides more than enough access for anyone. You can hike up higher to access untouched or you can simply strap in from there and slide down. The end of the run wraps back down to the Exxcelerator chair.

ON whistler, Harmony and Symphony provide you with some good bowls, and decent terrain.

From Harmony, it accesses the glacier bowl, which can lead you back to the Peak Express. From the top of the Peak express, you have a variety of options. One that I've always liked personally was to take the peak to creek [upper] and then access the area that is beyond the patrolled line. That will provide a fantastic tree run that should access the black diamond runs that are cut on the lower peak to creek.

all while leading you back towards the creekside gondola, to give you a lift back up.

If you do manage to wind up on creekside whistler after the mountain closes, expect to take transit or a cab back to the village. It's usually a 8-10 dollar cab ride.
      AWESOME!! THANK YOU!!

From what I've seen and read so far.. the place looks amazing. My crew and I are always up for hiking, so I definitely appreciate the 411.

And just like my invite above to simple... if you find yourself back at Whistler next week.. send me a PM and I'll let you know where we're at.

THANKS!!

- Happy Matty

5. Member
      Vehicles
      [Current]: AlpineWhite AHU Tdi Jetta [Old]: WindsorBlue AAZ Jetta [Older]: Tornado Red DigiII Jetta
      01-17-2012 02:07 PM #5
      if you have an iphone, download the whistler blackcomb app and you can have a trail map on you at all times.

If you really want to get geeky with it, and you have an iphone, download the skitracks app, or buy it.

It tracks your vertical desent, your vertical assent, your max speed, average speed, your runs taken, provides you with graphs of your runs, etc etc.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      01-18-2012 12:21 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Phreshnphunky View Post

Totally fun.

You can get people in trouble recommending spots like Spanky's Ladder without knowing their skill level. That's really no-fall terrain unless there's a huge amount of snow. That jillion mile runout from the Blackcomb Glacier can also be pretty snowboarder-unfriendly.

Most days (when it's socked in and snowing), the best option is the mid-mountain tree band. On the Blackcomb side, the far edges of the resort are usually totally ignored on a powder day since they have a fairly long traverse back to the lifts. Outer Limits is a fantastic little tree run with good pitch off the Crystal chair. Things are open enough off that lift that you can find plenty of untracked between the cut trails. At the bottom of that chair, there's a fun creek bed that drops you out on that infinite traverse. On the other side, there are several short shots on the traverse to the 7th Heaven Quad that are rarely tracked out on a powder day. The Whistler side isn't quite as good when it's socked in and you can't use the above-the-tree-line lifts. There's some entertaining intermediate trees off the Emerald quad. Elsewhere, the trees are pretty tight.

On a sunny day, West Bowl off the Whistler Peak chair is a personal favorite. The Blackcomb Glacier off the T-bar has already been mentioned.

Edited: Duh. Re-reading this, I had the wrong lift.
      Last edited by GeoffD; 01-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.

7. 01-18-2012 11:24 AM #7
      First of all, you're going to have a blast, especially since they're getting a ton of snow.

We had a ****load of fun on the Blackcomb side. The back glacier that they're talking about is a really wide open damn good time. But like they said, you need some decent speed towards the bottom because it flattens out as you make your way back to the lift and the last thing you want is to have to pop your board off and walk the rest of it. That powder can get really deep, especially if they're getting dumped on.

Geoff, thanks - I couldn't remember the name of that glade run. Outer Limits. We had a good time doing that.

8. Member
      01-18-2012 12:57 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      You can get people in trouble recommending spots like Spanky's Ladder without knowing their skill level. That's really no-fall terrain unless there's a huge amount of snow. That jillion mile runout from the Blackcomb Glacier can also be pretty snowboarder-unfriendly.

Good looking out GeoffD. I know it's easy to talk a big game on the interweb and I can say whatever I want about my skill level here.... but I'd never charge a hill without checking it out first, for sure!

Spanky's sounds interesting.. I'll definitely give it a closer look when I'm there and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      First of all, you're going to have a blast, especially since they're getting a ton of snow.

We had a ****load of fun on the Blackcomb side. The back glacier that they're talking about is a really wide open damn good time. But like they said, you need some decent speed towards the bottom because it flattens out as you make your way back to the lift and the last thing you want is to have to pop your board off and walk the rest of it. That powder can get really deep, especially if they're getting dumped on.

Geoff, thanks - I couldn't remember the name of that glade run. Outer Limits. We had a good time doing that.
      Man.. I am getting SO psyched!! I packed all my junk last night so now I get to stare at my bags for the next 3 days. Ugh!!

I wonder how many times I can watch the Art of Flight between now and Saturday morning...

THANK YOU for all the replies so far!! Please keep 'em coming as I'll be referring to this thread while I'm out there

- Matty

9. 01-20-2012 02:23 AM #9
      Sweet! Have fun!

Whislter Blackcomb is so massive words can't describe it. The village is pretty cool as well, unlike most places that I've frequented.

My biggest observation is that at Whistler (and perhaps in Candada), they don't really mark the dangerous obstacles the way they do in places like Colorado. There *may be a little 5" sign that says cliff on it. Be careful when you are in the expert areas. As others have indicated, if you like trees, you can stay in there for hours and hit fresh snow all day. The snow is heavier than other parts of the country. I've never ridden the east coast, so I can't compare.

I personally like the whistler side better, which contradicts the sentiment from a lot of boarders. The Whistler peak chair is pretty amazing, and probably the scariest lift that I've been on. Here is a pic that I snapped a few years back. We got 25" of snow on that trip!

At the base of said lift you can get a glimps of the "Air Jordan" line. There was a guy stuck up there that looked like he didn't know what he was doing. I thought he was going to die since people were egging him on to go. Boy was I surprised to see him stick 3 front flips. Here is the video from that day:

Here is a "doing it wrong" example:

10. Member
      01-20-2012 10:40 AM #10
      Thanks Markos!!!

Oy! Those videos... 3 and 5 years old... STILL look incredible!! My flight leaves Newark tomorrow at 6:00am.

I'm literally counting down the hours at this point!

I hope you guys are having a GREAT season so far!!

THANKS!!

- Matty

11. 01-28-2012 01:41 AM #11
      I'm here right now and loving it

12. Member
      01-30-2012 11:41 AM #12
      Just got back on Saturday night. What an AWESOME trip!!!!

Got there last Saturday.. it was snowing heavily and didn't stop snowing until Thursday! Then it started snowing again on Thursday night! Which worked out great because the *only* day they ran the Heli was Thursday.. and they hadn't had any heli days for over a week, so we were the first crew out and we had all kinds of fresh powder all over the place!!

I gotta say, though... the whiteout conditions were pretty dicey. One day, we were lapping the Peak Express chair and at the top, the conditions were total whiteout. You had to ride a few hundred feet before getting to a lower elevation so you could see. I've never had the sensation of not having a clue which direction I was going.. or if I was even moving at all! It was kinda scary at first, but after a few runs, we sorta got used to it and quickly got past it.

We hit all the good stuff run after run after run!... Spankys Ladder... 7th Heaven.. Couloir Extreme... basically, if it was open, we hit it. Face shots all over the place.. spitting out snow after every turn... it was sick!!

vwguy13 - if you're still there.. look into that "Early Breakfast / Fresh Tracks" thing. You pay ~$20 and they let you take the Whistler Gondola up and have breakfast at Roundhouse Lodge on the mountain. Then they open the lifts an hour early and you get to do a few laps before the crowds come and chop up the powder. We did it one morning and had knee-deep pow runs for an hour straight... it's SO worth it!!

My buddies all had Go-Pro's so we have a TON of footage. Once I have some stuff to post, I'll get some pics and videos up.

Thanks again to all of you who gave suggestions on places to hit. This was easily one of the best trips I've ever been on. We totally lucked out and hit an incredible week with insane snowfall. Conditions were outstanding EVERY day of the trip!

If anyone is still planning a trip this season.. check out Whistler. They're getting smashed with snow!

Thanks!!!

- Matty

13. Member
      01-30-2012 12:21 PM #13
      Here's a quick pic from our Heli day. That's me in the blue pants...

And one of the slopes we came down..

More pics to come...
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 01-31-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Vehicles
      VW GTI 20th AE BMP, 1978 VW Rabbit L
      01-31-2012 01:09 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by MattV-Dub View Post
      Here's a quick pic from our Heli day. That's me in the blue pants...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...95940114_n.jpg

And one of the slopes we came down..

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...20628051_n.jpg

More pics to come...
      heading to whistler in a few weeks, how much was the heli?

just looked on whistler heli skiing and it was hella $$$ 815 for 3 runs!!
      Buy My Things!
      Buy My 20th!
      What She Order?
      ლ(•益•ლ) Why you no buy my stuff!?
      78 HÄRE

15. Member
      01-31-2012 11:34 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by The Maytag Man View Post
      heading to whistler in a few weeks, how much was the heli?

just looked on whistler heli skiing and it was hella $$$ 815 for 3 runs!!
      The Heli was pretty expensive. I'm turning 40 this week... and a few of my buddies are also turning 40 this year.. so we all sort of gave this "gift" to ourselves. We each paid ~$1,000 for 4 runs, and we opted for a 5th run at an additional $95.. so we paid a total of ~$1,100 for 5 runs.. and that includes a pretty decent lunch, mid day, served right on the mountain. You also have a video / photographer that will do a few runs with you and document the day for your crew. Of course.. you can *purchase* the video/pics at the end of the day

We used http://www.whistlerheliskiing.com/. They have a few packages, but it all boils down to...

All the Helis access the same terrain. Depending on your group's skill evel (actually, the least skilled rider/skier in the heli), your guide will choose whatever hill he thinks makes the most sense, along with choosing from whichever hills are available that day (depending on weather, snow conditions, etc.).

The main difference between packages are how many runs are initially included. Better skilled skiers/riders can bang through runs more quickly (less falls.. less people.. etc) and the heli operation needs to guage timing and other aspects of the day. Honestly.. the terrain isn't terribly difficult. There are some steep-ish pitches within a run.. and we got to hit some trees as well... but (depending on your group, weather, snow conditions, etc..), you'll likely hit mellow-ish slopes that you can plow through and really just enjoy the day. You're paying for the whole experience. The heli.. the lunch.. the video.. the memories.. and it's TOTALLY worth it!!

But.. if you're looking for more challenging terrain.. there's more than enough to be found in-bounds (especially when there's so much snow). Sure, the runs are shorter, but the steep / deep that you might looking for are all really easily accessible.

Here's another pic of me from the Heli day...

Good luck and have a GREAT trip!!

- Matty
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 01-31-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      01-31-2012 01:22 PM #16
      Looks like a lot of fun. Heli drops are worth it for sure especially for your 40th!
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

01-31-2012 01:49 PM #17
      Awesome!

18. Member
      02-14-2012 11:45 AM #18
      (reposting - link was edited)

Whistler 2012 Final Edit from WeAllLookAlike on Vimeo.

Video from the week.

It's long, but pretty sweet.

Enjoy!!

- Matty
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 02-21-2012 at 10:51 AM.

02-14-2012 01:05 PM #19
      I'm in the pre-planning stage to do this same trip for the same reason (my 40th). Thank you for providing so much helpful information. Cheers!

Great video BTW...

Vehicles
      2008 Touareg V6, 2011 A3 TDI
      02-15-2012 11:41 AM #20
      Great video....my go west trip is taking us to Breck in two weeks....im working on getting the guys to do Whistler/BC next year....

21. Member
      02-27-2012 03:25 PM #21
      Another vid from our trip...

This one was made by my buddy's nephew (who joined us as well). He's a skier.. young kid (only 15! ) Pretty awesome skier for being so young... enjoy!!

** - Fast forward to 00:55.. unless you want to watch a minute of sitting on the chairlift

- Matty
      Last edited by MattV-Dub; 02-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Vehicles
      VW GTI 20th AE BMP, 1978 VW Rabbit L
      03-06-2012 01:07 AM #22
      just got back from the most amazing week in Whistler.

sadly it only snowed 2 of the 5 days we rode, but the nights it didnt snow it blew around enough up top to still make fresh track available.

frig i love that place so much, i could ride the whistler bowl all day long, and i loved the terrain parks too!!!

also the peak express is the scariest lift ever lol

here is a pic of the route we took to hike up to north flute bowl, not a single track on it. was knee deep, best run of the trip

blue was short run, red is all hike(i almost puked i was so tired from the hike) yellow fresh fresh powder, green glades to the bottom of symphony lift

Last edited by The Maytag Man; 03-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.
      Buy My Things!
      Buy My 20th!
      What She Order?
      ლ(•益•ლ) Why you no buy my stuff!?
      78 HÄRE

23. Member
      03-06-2012 06:53 PM #23
      Maytag - looks pretty sick!!

Any pics / videos to share? Sounds like you guys had a blast as well

- Matty