Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My first tour starts tomorrow, Help me make it through the first stroke

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-17-2012 01:49 PM #1
      Contact info Well wishers can text or leave voice message@ 3zero1,2hundred,2193

Paypal --------> Paypal Address teamdarb@gmail.com <------- Paypal

************************************************** *********************************************

I am a 30 something American-African, who has decided to make 2012 an adventure by cycling all of North America. Along with me is my 3 year old son/best-friend, Polo, he is a Chihuahua. I purchased a trek 420, circa 1986, from the Craigslist for $265.00. It was pretty much original, minus Conti Ultra-race tires on the original 27s. I have since installed Bontrager Hard Case RL, changed the derailleur front and rear to Shimano Sora, used an old inner tube for handle bar comfort, dual water bottle holders, toe clips and some old Kirtland tour pak (they were free). I have been planning this since November. Tomorrow, Jan 18, is the day to depart. I am feeling the doubt getting stronger. I have only managed to fill 2 panniers and the handle bar bag.

The dog is set- I think he will be more comfortable then me. He is riding in a soft case placed into a milk crate, which is strapped to the top of the rear rack. I'm using the crate to hang things from, too. His soft case has foam padding to insulate the sides and bottom. There is a heating pad. Rain protection is coming from a tarp that will be thrown over.

The first 3 parts:

The first part of the trek is from Waldorf, MD to Daytona, FL hopes to get there in time for the Rolex24 race. After that we will take the southern trail to Houston, TX (no reason at all), then Albuquerque, NM to Washington state into Canada.

All of this using Google Maps and paper maps. And a ton o free camping.

5/27
      Preparing for the 4th sector of our adventure- Washington to Michigan. Plan is to take US-2 East.
      ************************************************** *********************************************

The day of restarting our trip for the 4th destination was filled with calamity. These trouble lasted 3 days and exposed the old bicycle frame's age. We ended in Index, WA, or I thought this to be the finish. The bike could no longer carry the weight. A life long friend happened to live in Tacoma came and rescued us. I had announced our adventure around the USA was over thanks to the bicycle being dead. Many voice rang out what a great job we had done and not to be sorry about it. Then to my amazement some offered to help buy a replacement bicycle. I had thought hard about that, as I wanted to complete the adventure on 'this' 1986 Trek 420. I looked for another Trek 420 frame first. Then I went to the local bike co-ops. I walked into a new bike shop and right there in the corner was a Trek 520 and in my size!!! So I had a total price and presented it to the followers. They raised $1325.95 - enough for the bicycle and taxes. Friends, new friends met along the way, friends of friends, and some strangers soon to be friends from following along. I am thanking those who keep us in prayer, too.

Goal REACHED! Total raised $1325.95

- Thank you all. You have made a moment I know I will never forget. Adventure time!

Brad Hall
      Joey Kavlick
      Lindsay/Derrick
      Ehlane/Kerry O'Conner
      Monika Hills (Kerry's Sister)
      Joshua Ives
      Brandon Avery
      Carl Moses
      John Olsson (Poik)
      Mark Stewart
      Keysar Photography (?)
      IPD (thank you everyone there)
      Scott Stockmeyer
      Steve Berg
      Ronald Gibb
      Mindy McCombs
      Kaplhenke Racing (Will Red Kool-aid be ok)
      Cameron Daline
      Peter Fluitman
      Joe-Joe Travis
      Alex Keyes
      Philips Finch
      Rob Prince
      Joel Parker
      Bill Donoho
      Adam Davolt (PDX240)
      EG Hammer
      Scott Macketa
      Nicholas Pagia
      Jessie Miyoshi
      John Lyons
      Mike Mueller

6/5/2012 Enter the new bicycle - Trek 520
      Last edited by woodrowstar; 06-05-2012 at 01:47 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Rabbit, 2010 Tiguan S
      01-17-2012 04:44 PM #2
      Awesome! Good luck and please post updates w/photos.

3. 01-17-2012 05:45 PM #3
      This sounds like an amazing trip. I cant wait for one day to start touring on my bike. Good luck and definitely post updates and pictures when you can. Stay safe.

Vehicles
      2014 Chevrolet Traverse LT 2006 GMC Yukon XL SLT
      01-17-2012 11:15 PM #4
      Yep! Good luck and be careful! Keep your eyes open when on the road.

Keep us updated. There are folks from everywhere on here. Don't be afraid to hit us up if you need help, tech support for the bike, or lunch!
      ... you're not a hipster. But you definitely have hipster tendencies. Stay vigilant... like diabetes, you can manage this.
      -20DYNAMITE07

This thread sucks -Quattro Krant

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      01-17-2012 11:49 PM #5
      Good luck!
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      01-18-2012 07:20 AM #6
      Good Luck … and have a safe journey.

7. Banned
      01-18-2012 09:03 AM #7
      You get a big from me my friend. Watch out for idiots in cars first and foremost. Sounds like an AMAZING adventure, something I'd love to do.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Sport
      01-18-2012 04:05 PM #8
      OK, I'll say it. I think this sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-18-2012 09:09 PM #9
      Small update:

This is a lot different then riding a non-touring setup. Very freaking hard. I spent an hour in Alexandria searching for the State Cycling map... guess what, been outta circulation for a bit thanks to lack of funding. But I did get a Virginia State map. I have yet to get lost -Thanks Jason for printing those directions.

I am going down the National Greenway Bicycle Route 1. I had a thought, with this being my first - I better stick to the roads most traveled. The wind and some of these hills are killer. I cried somewhere at the 25 mile mark when I realized..HOW HARD THIS IS.... Then I was at a Burger Kind ready to call Apple to help me outta of my mess. (i still may call him) At the Burger King a guy walked up and pat me on the back and said "Good luck". That made me feel revived. I hit a confusing instruction, kid road up on a bike and said "Wow, good luck". I have only made it 50 miles out (miles wasted in Alexandria and just being beat by the route)

We are calling it a night... just so happens, we are near my friend Apple's house. Going to trade labor for free stay.

The rear is popping like crazy too. Gotta check that out in the morning. Thank you Hard case tires!

Vehicles
      2005 Subaru Legacy Outback
      01-19-2012 01:10 AM #10
      This is awesome, good luck to you. I can't imagine the feeling of accomplishment you will have when you roll to your own personal finish line.
      - Austin

11. 01-19-2012 11:18 AM #11
      miss my buddies alllllready....you kno if u need anything we (DSD family) got you..lol.. just shine the beacon... PS daily wilson polo pics are needed...

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Current - 04 R32, 06 S4 25th Anny, 87 GLI VR6 Swap
      01-19-2012 12:06 PM #12
      Have a good trip man. Best of luck

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-19-2012 02:34 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Abstract_99 View Post
      .... PS daily wilson polo pics are needed...
      I tell you what, you come peddle and i will take pictures.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Current - 04 R32, 06 S4 25th Anny, 87 GLI VR6 Swap
      01-19-2012 03:49 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by woodrowstar View Post
      Arent you on TNeuros? And from Clarksville ?

<- Mk4Matt here

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-19-2012 07:02 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Killdoc View Post
      Arent you on TNeuros? And from Clarksville ?

<- Mk4Matt here
      Yep! Thas me! Now you know why the MIA.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-20-2012 11:12 AM #16
      More Update:

Still in Fredericksburg. Camped behind a Rescue Services building last night. Knew it was going to rain... but it is even worst as freezing rain. Greaaaaaaat. In forecast straight down for the next couple of days. Gotta find a place to buckle down. I do not think it smart to keep traveling. Especially, with all the ice already passed last night.

The rescue squad guys told me a story about a Marine who came thru here last week walking and towing a cart. Brave brave guy. And they warned me that just outside of here thru Spotsvania is all hills. I asked, more then what i already been through? They said the dread yes.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-20-2012 02:11 PM #17
      Already seeing flurries.... Greaaaaat. made it to Joey's Ledo's. Some fellow stopped and handed me $20 to help out. He said "and get that dog a burger". So when i leave Ledo's Polo will have his first "Sonics" Burger.

Just ordered a Meaty Calzone and coffee. It's so warm in here.

Going to hold out for Richmond tomorrow. 70 miles Oh and the East Coast Greenway directions are geared more to tourist. Many useless turns. Some are great, as the lend me to roads with less traffic or wide shoulders.

18. 01-20-2012 03:45 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by woodrowstar View Post
      theres an app for that..lol.. see there a laugh to warm u up..lol

when u get down ask your self DID DEY BEAT RICHARDS!?!?!?!?!

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-20-2012 06:50 PM #19
      Update:
      We tossed the Greenway instructions in the bottom of the bag. Winged it down Route 1 Jefferson Davis HWY. Now at I-95/Hwy 207 Mcdonalds. averaged 18 mph!!!!! about freaking time. road way repaved nicely, sweet smooth.

Trying to figure out whether to try humping the next 30 miles to Richmond in the dark. It is freezing out. I have developed the shakes. That cannot be good.

Thank you to Joey's Mom for the lunch at Ledo's Pizza in Fredericksburg, VA. That calzone and the chat charged me up. I went into Super Target found they are having a clearence sale on everything.

*Something I wrote abbout in my notebook last night, I would like to mention... The number of homeless and jobless people are out here. Just today i saw many of them roaming Super Target, Sitting in the Library, and roving Mcdonalds. after I purchased Polo's burger I gave what was left to a guy who was just sitting in the Target restroom to keep warm and out of sight.

Vehicles
      Indian Red
      01-20-2012 10:17 PM #20
      Awesome!!!! See you sunday!!

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-20-2012 10:32 PM #21
      Snow and ice. it is like a blizzard right now!

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-22-2012 03:47 PM #22
      Currently, in Newport News, VA.

the tale
      We rode through snow, slush, ice and rain at 2am Friday night til about 5am. Seemed like a good idea until we reached a crossroad at Studley Rd, I dropped the bicycle out of fatigue. Found a church, set up the tent (which took about an hour, that tired), and slept like a log. Woke up around 11 to a freezing rain storm. Planned to wait it out, but ended up toughing up. We put on the rain gear to keep on trucking. There was nothing to see the whole way but trees. Williamsburg was the most scenic place thus far. +1 for the taxi driver that gave me directions after I was lost in William&Mary College. Ate up the next 22 miles like water.

Just woke up in my fathers house to a huge breakfast. Waiting on Matt to get home.

Vehicles
      01-22-2012 04:05 PM #23
      ... you're not a hipster. But you definitely have hipster tendencies. Stay vigilant... like diabetes, you can manage this.
      -20DYNAMITE07

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      01-22-2012 06:39 PM #24
      Good luck, and stay safe!
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      Indian Red
      01-22-2012 07:11 PM #25
      He has arrived at my house! I'm gonna snap some photos of his rig while he is here. Got him sipping on a legend brown ale and a warm shower awaiting.

Vehicles
      Indian Red
      01-22-2012 07:39 PM #26
      Awesome dude. Honored to have him stop here for a couple of days. Lets keep his support up!!

01-22-2012 10:14 PM #27
      Good to hear buddy! I'll stay tuned for details! Hope to see you in Daytona! Just waiting to see if I should drive You know Tour de France style.

Vehicles
      TDI
      01-22-2012 10:26 PM #28
      Wow, you are absolutely insane and gutsy. Make sure you stay visible and stay away from a lot of jerks on the road. Surely, if you need any help in any city, the cycling community will help you out. Make sure to stay hydrated and fueled so you don't bonk out too soon. Best of luck on your adventure and keep us posted on your progress.

Vehicles
      2000 GTI
      01-22-2012 11:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by skydaman View Post
      Good to hear buddy! I'll stay tuned for details! Hope to see you in Daytona! Just waiting to see if I should drive You know Tour de France style.
      You gonna be at the 24?

Hope you make it to daytona in time Wilson... We'll hook you up with a warm meal.
      HomeGrown Motorsports

01-22-2012 11:14 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Pumpkin View Post
      You gonna be at the 24?

Hope you make it to daytona in time Wilson... We'll hook you up with a warm meal.
      Yeah planning on it, I've never been and would like too. Plus Brian talked me into it

Vehicles
      '00 A4 Avant VR6T, '04 .:R32
      01-23-2012 01:46 PM #31
      good luck wilson. Sorry the.first bit has.been so tough. Should be easier when it.gets flat and warmer..... hope to.see you if only for a minute later this.week.
      10.201@143.35mph - VR6T

32. 01-23-2012 03:44 PM #32
      I find your adventure inspirational. Please be careful out there and take care of your little buddy.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      01-23-2012 03:47 PM #33
      Dang! Good luck dude, make sure your dog stays warm, fed and happy too

I rode a bit with someone lazily going East->West last year, but he stopped after Chicago. From what I could gather he got pretty lonely on the long days, so hopefully Polo will help avoid that happening.

As others have mentioned, we have some great mechanics on here and of course the Vortex has users everywhere so please feel free to post up if you need help. There's also the regional forums if you need help ASAP.

Stay safe, take photos if you can (we all love to follow trips vicariously!) and enjoy it!
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Madone 7.9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      01-23-2012 09:14 PM #34
      Whoa...that was my first bike! JUST like that one! It's supposed to be getting nicer starting tomorrow. Sun and warmer temps down the East coast...
      -20DYNAMITE07

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      01-23-2012 11:23 PM #35
      I'm really understanding the reason people swap out the crank sets on this thing, too much gap in shift points and not enough hill climb gearing.

I am becoming a more avid typist.

Matt has been a wonderful host!!! Beer, food, and nice snugly couch. We even put air in my tires. 6 days = now 80 psi from 110 rear, 100 front.

Almost forgot- We even got to see Black Chris!!!

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast