Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: My first tour starts tomorrow, Help me make it through the first stroke

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      06-18-2012 06:21 PM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by woodrowstar View Post
      Rogeer that. Heading there. Currently in Wenatchee. I need a new harness for my trip computer. dealer wants me to wait around for tomorrow cause he is busy. That made me laugh. I'm not going to.
      look at it from above.. at the visitor's center, then continue down Hwy 17 a bit to the park entrance. Go down into the park, pass the camping entrance on the left and then take the next left out toward Deep Lake. Follow that road out as far as you wish (it stops at Deep Lake). The views are pretty awesome.. and it'll change your perspective of what Washington looks like. I could probably walk that whole road from the park entrance in about a half hour.. so it shouldn't be too much for you.
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-19-2012 12:15 PM #377
      Hey I have a ton of pics of the cars entering Leavenworth, is there a site or thread dedicated to it? I'm sure people would like to see if they are in them.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      06-19-2012 12:22 PM #378
      You bet, there is a very pic-heavy thread going on here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...orth-2012-Pics
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-20-2012 09:00 PM #379
      Stopped in Davenport to use the internet. We will be in Spokane sometime this evening. Then I can find a place to upload all the rest of the photos from the last 3 weeks.

Vehicles
      06-21-2012 11:18 AM #380
      Dang it - I am generally only on here 8-5 so I didn't see this until just now. Are you just passing through or going to stay in town for a day or two? My house remains full of unexpected teenagers, so unfortunately I can't offer you a place to stay, but like I said earlier I'll spring for a night in a decent motel if you would like!

If you see this this morning, let me know where you intend to be around noonish, I could possibly track you down on my lunch break, if it is not too far away. Got your shoes in my trunk! Is that 2193 number still good? You said it went to your laptop, but I thought you lost that.

Should check out Riverfront Park and the falls there... also, supposed to be 91° degrees today!
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

6. 06-21-2012 12:29 PM #381
      I stumbled across your journey yesterday and just finished reading the thread. I have to say it too, your adventure is just so inspiring and amazing. I haven’t ridden (is that a word) a bike in 6 years because I didn’t want to ride alone. And you have the gusto, courage, heart, bravery and ect, to ride yours across the country… fantastic.
      If I had known when you came through GA… anyway I made a donation to you and Polo’s adventure.
      -Keir

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-21-2012 03:56 PM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by Arsigi View Post
      Got your shoes in my trunk! Is that 2193 number still good? You said it went to your laptop, but I thought you lost that.

Should check out Riverfront Park and the falls there... also, supposed to be 91° degrees today!
      I will be here until Monday. More then likely on the far side of town. I am currently in Downtown at the library. Instead of playing tag.... I will just go sit out front of your house til you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeil View Post
      I stumbled across your journey yesterday and just finished reading the thread. I have to say it too, your adventure is just so inspiring and amazing. I haven’t ridden (is that a word) a bike in 6 years because I didn’t want to ride alone. And you have the gusto, courage, heart, bravery and ect, to ride yours across the country… fantastic.
      If I had known when you came through GA… anyway I made a donation to you and Polo’s adventure.
      -Keir
      Thank you Keir, funny thing is we needed that bit of $$ for food. So huge thank you. I had been running around without food money since the purchse of the bike. I figure it will work itself out somehow.

Vehicles
      06-21-2012 04:05 PM #383
      Ha - don't do that, I have an errand downtown, and can be at the library in about 25 minutes!
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-21-2012 11:12 PM #384
      Thank you RON!!!!!

Currently in Spokane. We will be here until Monday. Saw 3 bikes stolen from near where mine was sitting downtown. Now I am on the north side.

I did not want to dump 200 new photos, so here is the link. http://photobucket.com/teamdarbcycletour2012 These are from the last 4 weeks or so. Post a picture if you have question about one.

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 11:58 AM #385
      Thank you RON!!!!!
      You are very welcome! Very nice to meet you, and glad I was able to help you on your journey.
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-29-2012 03:53 PM #386
      C&P from Facebook.

So much has happened:

It has taken me 3 freakingly wonderful days to cross the 70 mile panhandle of Idaho ... lol.

I have not been on a roadway in 4 days.

I ate a Steak.

Almost crashed into a boy scout group out cycling.

Crossed a river with the bike. Thanks to help from a fly fisherman I did not have to disassemble the bike. Karen Haire would be proud.

The new bicycle "Ours" has proven to do what the old bike could not do. One: 60+ mph down hill, stable. Two: handle dirt roads and old train tracks!!!

Had a sweet breakfast at Jackies' home cook food place - which serves breakfast all day in Superior, MT.

Met a bunch of VA and one DC native at Pangaea Expeditions. (Current location)

Polo got to eat Bacon.

I saw a Moose closer then I would have ever imagined. I was riding down the train tracks just outside of Haugan, the damn thing was standing next to the trail. If it was not for a fisherman stopping me in my tracks, I think we would have been trampled. The moose was in velvet - Man, what a huge animal. The fisherman said he in all his life, being in Montana, had never seen a moose that close.

I miss Leavenworth. I want to rock climb.

Pictures being on the way.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      06-29-2012 04:06 PM #387

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      06-30-2012 02:53 AM #388
      is that a trail in place of one of the old Northern Pacific Railroad lines? Pretty cool..
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

Vehicles
      '12 VW GOLF R, '03 Toyota 4Runner, '12 RZR 900 XP
      06-30-2012 07:14 AM #389
      Glad the new bike is working for you, I am happy you were able to get it all straighten out.

Bill
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      07-01-2012 04:19 PM #390
      We are camping n this woman's garden, a cyclist shows up saying how he is suppose to stay here this evening, but he is not willing to sleep outside. I just started laughing. The guy is a genuine prick. He then tells me he started from Yorktown, VA and heading for Seattle, WA. I suggest some sweet off the path trails. He then says to me 'why are you not riding on the roads?'. I'm like 'what??' The woman lives in a trailer, and I think that is his real issue.

Which reminds me, I have met people in all kinds of living situations, and no matter which they have all one thing in common- respect.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      07-02-2012 10:25 PM #391
      Today Polo and I went to visit Adventure Cycling headquarters. We were the center of attention ....i'm guessing #1 Black guy, Chihuahua, DC, and Bicycle = WTF. Ha. We met a group of 15 youths heading from Seattle to Mass. Neat. Then I debated on walking up "M trail" (google it). Changed my mind due to the time of day and heat. We did visit a bicycle shop and found an add for this http://revealthepath.com/about/ -If you get a chance to see it or want to be inspired to adventure out on the bike.

Vehicles
      mk3 :: B6S4
      07-05-2012 10:51 PM #392
      Holy **** man... I am back.. Where the hell are you! You should back track to Texas and hang out with me again! Glad to see your still alive and motivated!
      @mattgreenevw

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      07-09-2012 11:35 AM #393
      Currently in Great Falls, MT.

We have been hanging with the Ridgewayssssssss. I will post in a few days a more detailed update of the last week or two. I am traversing forest roads across MT. I stopped at this Donald's on the way to get Polo some more dog food.

Matt, if i could I would.

07-09-2012 01:23 PM #394
      Great thread of a great adventure! Thanks for keeping us updated... I've been following your posts here and on Facebook for a while now.

Be sure to bump and reply to the thread you created in the Midwest sub-forum, as I'm sure there's a bunch of us from the Chicago/Milwaukee area that would gladly meet up with you.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      07-14-2012 09:47 PM #395
      Updates?
      :gift:

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      07-17-2012 04:21 PM #396
      Currently in North Dakota.

Yesterday we completed 125 miles in 8 hours. I called yesterday "2nd Chain Ring Day". Today, so far, we have completed 36 miles or so just inside Dakota. Montana is a beautiful place. I consider it technical knowing when and how to use the hills to maintain a steady pace. I would catch and pass other cyclist who had started out hours before us in the afternoon. They would all be laughing and asking how I do it. Then I looked at their computers.... averaging 7 - 9 miles per hour versus my 15-17 mph. and even on a slow day of averaging 10 mph, I tried explaining to them to look at a data chart .....I never or stop less comparatively. I only managed 2 hours of sleep last night and boy are my legs telling me to stop. So I am just hanging here at the Rest Stop. Not sure where to go next. Obviously, EaST!

NOt sure if this is weird or not, but other cyclist chime in, my body wont stabilize- it wants to consume more and more food each day. Am I crazy? I even rode 2 days eating very little just to see what my body would do. It still performed, but the hunger monster was still the lingering. I'm trying to figure out if I do less miles will my body require less fuel? Or am I turning into a Bath Salt Zombie? Doing less miles seemed only to cause my body to ache.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Ford Focus ST3, 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT Limited 5-speed, 2004 BMW R1150R
      07-17-2012 08:49 PM #397
      Currently in North Dakota.

NOt sure if this is weird or not, but other cyclist chime in, my body wont stabilize- it wants to consume more and more food each day. Am I crazy? I even rode 2 days eating very little just to see what my body would do. It still performed, but the hunger monster was still the lingering. I'm trying to figure out if I do less miles will my body require less fuel? Or am I turning into a Bath Salt Zombie? Doing less miles seemed only to cause my body to ache.
      Should be no surprise you're hungry -- in fact, that's exactly what you should be!

Think about it: as a rule of thumb, you'll burn 600-800 calories per hour of vigorous exercise. Pedaling a fully-loaded touring bike at an average speed approaching 16 mph certainly constitutes vigorous exercise. So just for fun, let's assume you're burning 800 calories per hour. That means yesterday's eight-hour 125-mile ride resulted in a burn of roughly 6,400 calories (assuming you pedaled the entire eight hours).

Stuff your face. You earned it, and your body needs it.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      07-17-2012 09:34 PM #398
      Quote Originally Posted by dts View Post
      Stuff your face. You earned it, and your body needs it.
      If only it was so simple, ha.

************************************************** *****************************************
      I have been hanging out in a rest stop due to heat. I finally set out to ride and it starts pouring rain with lightning. Joy? Yep....nope, big sign says no camping. All my fresh set of clothing i put on is soaked. Now I am back in my dirty set.

If anyone has any questions about the trip so far or of any photos, now is the time to ask away. I have nothing else to do.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      07-17-2012 09:53 PM #399
      some pics from the last few days.

07-17-2012 10:15 PM #400
      Awesome dude, amazing journey!!

Still cant wait for you to get back!

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast