Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The ONE & ONLY 2012 Politics/Election Thread

Hybrid View

01-18-2012 12:12 AM #1
      The 2012 elections are quickly approaching, and there is a lot of election discussion going on in OT these days. In order to keep OT from becoming the "Politics Forum" this election season, this will be the one and only thread where discussion of the 2012 elections will be permitted.

Trolling and flaming will not be tolerated. Please keep this thread civil, and respect the opinions of your fellow forum members.

-SOAR
      Last edited by SOAR; 10-09-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-18-2012 12:16 AM #2
      Good luck to the Mods on actually being able to keep control of this thread

That being said I will be the first one to go on record and predict that Obama will not win the 2012 Election....

Last edited by Zombiee313; 01-18-2012 at 12:54 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harbaugh
      Who's got it better then us?!? ...... Nooooo-body!!!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      01-18-2012 12:22 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Zombiee313 View Post
      Good to the Mods on actually being able to keep control of this thread

That being said I will be the first one to go on record and predict that Obama will not win the 2012 Election....

I'm pretty sure he will. If Bill Clinton can get re-elected and Little George Bush, too, there's no reason to think that Obama will get booted, especially since the repubs don't have a real candidate running. Romney is just a paler Obama.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      01-18-2012 12:29 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      I'm pretty sure he will. If Bill Clinton can get re-elected and Little George Bush, too, there's no reason to think that Obama will get booted, especially since the repubs don't have a real candidate running. Romney is just a paler Obama.
      While I did not agree with some things Slick Willy did (like Monica... really that was the best he could do?) he was a pretty decent President....

Baby Bush won re-election because of being in the middle of a war

I think too many people that supported Obama in 2008 are now pissed at him and either won't vote or will vote against him.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harbaugh
      Who's got it better then us?!? ...... Nooooo-body!!!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      01-19-2012 05:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      I don't think Clinton's re-election is a useful comparison. WJC was enjoying a
      strong economy, relatively little trouble abroad & had to face one of the worst
      Republican presidential candidates I can recall (& I actually liked Senator Bob Dole).

Clinton had mid 5% unemployment #s (oddly enough, so did GWB at re-election time).
      Barry is sitting at ~ 9-1/2%. Relatively low inflation is keeping BHO afloat currently.
      If prices go up & unemployment stays where it's at, Barry is quite beatable.

...but then again, I'm just an angry Obama hater, so what do I know?
      “The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War's been over for 20 years,” ~ Barack Obama 2012

We are JIMP

01-19-2012 05:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.FOH!! View Post
      I don't think Clinton's re-election is a useful comparison. WJC was enjoying a
      strong economy, relatively little trouble abroad & had to face one of the worst
      Republican presidential candidates I can recall (& I actually liked Senator Bob Dole).

Clinton had mid 5% unemployment #s (oddly enough, so did GWB at re-election time).
      Barry is sitting at ~ 9-1/2%. Relatively low inflation is keeping BHO afloat currently.
      If prices go up & unemployment stays where it's at, Barry is quite beatable.

...but then again, I'm just an angry Obama hater, so what do I know?
      I just disagree that he is beatable by anyone that has been presented to the American Public as a candidate.

I am sure his team realizes their predicament...but I have a hard time believing that in June or so they can't unleash the dogs and get voters out again. I've seriously never seen so many polling places so crowded as I did in 2008.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-19-2012 07:05 PM #7
      So much for the "Ron Paul Surge"

A distant 3rd in SC.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...mary-1590.html

A distant 4th in FL.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...mary-1597.html

I honestly have no strong opinions on Ron Paul either way but by the way his supporters flood seemingly every internet forum I would have thought the man had more support then that.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      01-19-2012 09:55 PM #8
      Barry is sitting at ~ 9-1/2%.
      Try 8 1/2.
      Esi ϟ Disi

9. Member
      Vehicles
      01-20-2012 12:32 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Try 8 1/2.
      My mistake, although I'd prefer the 5 1/2 that Bush had going.
      “The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War's been over for 20 years,” ~ Barack Obama 2012

We are JIMP

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      01-23-2012 05:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Zombiee313 View Post
      Good luck to the Mods on actually being able to keep control of this thread

even though I'm not a Fan of his (even though I did vote for him in 08) I would not got that far. ALLOT! can happen between now and Nov. and all it take is one 24hr news cycle.

republicans(voters) are not behind anyone yet even though it's clear who the establishment are behind and it's funny how the voters want something different from what the establishment wants (mainly looking out for themselves)
      With the republicans bashing each other they're doing Obama's dirty work....for free! but at the same time all the dirt is getting and hopefully when a nominee is selected that person and Obama can have real debates on the issues instead of bashing each others character for the rest of the election season.
      but we all know that's probably whats going to happen.
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      01-23-2012 05:48 PM #11
      How about that pipeline?

Every other politician I have heard was in support of it going through, except Obama, why?
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      01-23-2012 06:33 PM #12
      something to do with Nebraska and the pipeline being rerouted around a fresh water source or something. but it's an election year so it will be used on both sides for political agendas while as usual it's people like us on this forum who get the consequences of there decisions and has no effect on them.

I do think we should drill more here....however! I think if they're going to do that they also need to make recycling laws more strict, especially with aluminum and plastics. if all recyclable plastics were recycled like they should be you could see a huge difference in oil prices going down over time and in turn gas prices would go down. and it could be profitable to businesses.
      I hate to say this about Americans but we have taken are for granted our convenience with consumption with not using it responsibly (lazy more than anything).
      I'll use my place of employment for an example. We had this huge long container that we only put cardboard in and the company would pay to have it removed and the disposal company did away with it (probably made another profit turning it into a recycle plant.
      now they have this other company who specializes in recyclables that pickup the card board (compacted) and every quarter the company (my work) gets a check.
      it's just getting people to understand what they can do and in turn would actually benefit them and everyone else.
      (I'm not an environmental cook either)

Vehicles
      2003 Nissan Maxima 3.5 6-Speed. 2001 GMC Sierra (RIP)
      01-23-2012 06:46 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
      (I'm not an environmental cook either)
      Those are all good points, I am no environmental whacko either, but I can do a little better by reusing plastic bottles as much as possible. I just use filtered water out of the tap and refill used bottles.

There are downsides to drawing the pipeline, but they are far outweighed by the dangers of importing oil on vessels. If we can't meet an agreement with Canada, it will be a kick in the nuts of a close Allie, and also a dumb move all around.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      Station wagons are for moms and Europe.

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT Swap, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T
      01-18-2012 12:32 AM #14
      What is something you learned last year that you are going to do differently this year?

Vehicles
      '73 Reg Beetle, '95 855, '97 Golf CL, '00 Forester S, '02 Jetta TDI
      01-18-2012 02:04 AM #15
      I'm voting for Vermin Supreme.

The guy I voted for in the last national election up here is dead, so maybe I can help get rid of that crazy.

Vehicles
      ///M Roadster
      01-18-2012 03:21 AM #16
      This election will be a disaster. It's like watching a train wreck...I'm so excited!

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-18-2012 07:06 AM #17
      Predicting Romney vs. Obama with the President winning not in a landslide, but not in a nail biter either.

The economy is improving slowly, but it is improving, and while there is a general disappointment with the President by many, it's no where near enough to get them to vote for Romney, or any Republican, imo.

A lot of the political chat forums where the Obama-hate is so crazy-strong are echo chambers and just don't reflect the real world.

I'm curious to see how the "Anyone can beat this failure of a Communist/Kenyan/Hates-America President" will do when he wins reelection.

Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane
      I'm only fighting with @Pace_Foods in order to gain the attention of @danicamckellar. It's like a real mellow John Hinckley situation.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      01-18-2012 09:55 AM #18
      In a straight-up Romney versus Obama scenario, Obama is well set up to win. Sometimes I wonder if 'jedi master' Obama specifically went with a health care reform plan based on 'Romneycare' rather than a public option specifically in order to remove the health care angle from the Republican campaign against him if Romney got the nomination. Yes, I know, Romney swears that at a state level his plan was appropriate, and at a federal level it oversteps states' rights. However, practically, when it comes to the election campaign, it's going to take any thunder out of 'Obamacare' criticisms.

Romney has a concrete platform for lowering taxes and reducing revenue, but unspecific promises of where he would cut spending. His is a recipe for increasing the deficit, whereas Obama is actually trying to cut spending and raise revenue to narrow the deficit. I'd argue that Obama's more fiscally conservative than Romney in that sense. Whether you believe that or not, when it comes to Romney I'm not sure fiscal conservatives and Tea Partiers will have the enthusiasm of a candidate to rally behind.

It is true that some of Obama's former supporters are disappointed that Obama hasn't met some lofty goals of transforming the country. That said, this criticism is generally that he didn't go far enough, not that he went too far. I don't think those voters will gravitate towards Romney either. I have some disappointments with Obama's performance, but on a promise-by-promise level, he has met quite a few, and I am hopeful that given a second term without the spectre of reelection on the horizon that he will be more bold and get more accomplished.

Any scenario where there is a big-name 3rd party candidate like Trump or even Paul, the odds move even more into Obama's camp with conservative vote splitting. Call it the Perot Effect that helped Clinton get elected, twice.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      01-18-2012 10:58 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Forgot one, http://www.npboards.com/index.php
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT Swap, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T
      01-19-2012 12:28 PM #20

This is just sad when the system is blatantly fixed and no one seems to see it.
      What is something you learned last year that you are going to do differently this year?

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      01-19-2012 08:03 PM #21
      RP isn't even campaigning in Florida.
      PSN: PhilipGTI
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      If your ass looks like a Jeep after playing off-road, I don't know what to say. Change up your diet, maybe?

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-19-2012 08:05 PM #22
      How does he intend to show GOP voters he can beat Obama if he won't even try in a key swing state?
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane

Vehicles
      01-19-2012 08:09 PM #23
      I think he just wants to be a foil to GOP dip****tery. I'm not sure he actually wants or cares to win.
      If your ass looks like a Jeep after playing off-road, I don't know what to say. Change up your diet, maybe?

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-19-2012 08:55 PM #24
      Primaries are about gaining sequentially, about carrying momentum forward into the next primary. Do poorly in a few early primaries and you never even get to the later states. If Ron Paul is serious about being President, then skipping Primaries in a key swing state seems counterproductive.

Oh well, he's not "my guy" so I really don't care much, just a curiosity is all.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      01-20-2012 08:20 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      How come everybody forgets that everything fell apart under Bush's watch?
      The economy was shedding a half a million jobs a month at the end of Bush's term.

But god forbid you mention that or you are "just blaming Bush."

It's ridiculous.
      Ukemafia.com

@kylekinane

01-20-2012 08:23 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      The economy was shedding a half a million jobs a month at the end of Bush's term.

But god forbid you mention that or you are "just blaming Bush."

It's ridiculous.
      Exactly. Republican blinders.

Anybody see Newt call his ex a liar on the debates. What a scumbag. Talk about doing the two-step. Funny ****.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

27. Member
      Vehicles
      01-20-2012 08:23 AM #27
      Guys, I rarely insert a smillie.

I've mentioned it more than once, I was never a fan of Bush.

We are JIMP

01-20-2012 08:24 AM #28
      Guys, I rarely insert a smillie.
      I hate to tell you, but it made you look foolish. There was, and still is, nothing to smile about.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

29. Member
      Vehicles
      01-20-2012 08:27 AM #29
      I hate to tell you, but it made you look foolish.
      Tell you what, I'll acknowledge Bush's hand in things if Dem's will
      concede Congress' being to blame as well. Fair?

We are JIMP

01-20-2012 08:28 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.foh!! View Post
      tell you what, i'll acknowledge bush's hand in things if dem's will
      concede congress' being to blame as well. Fair?
      Abso-****ing-lutely!
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

01-20-2012 08:35 AM #31
      Tell you what, I'll acknowledge Bush's hand in things if Ds and Rs will concede Congress' being to blame as well. Fair?
      Goddamned Right, but I fixed that for accuracy.

I refuse to give one man or one party all of the credit or all of the blame. They're all responsible for their action and inaction thruout their time in office

Vehicles
      01-26-2012 11:39 PM #32
      Nobody is beating Barry. Republicans are just biding their time until 2016 when they can roll out Rubio or Rand.

Vehicles
      WRB ZC6L
      01-26-2012 11:56 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Nobody is beating Barry. Republicans are just biding their time until 2016 when they can roll out Rubio or Rand.
      Or maybe Huntsman.

In the meantime, the RNC is treating us to prissy slap fights on national television like the one I watched tonight. I was at the gym and there really wasn't anything else on, but the two 16 year old girls on stage bickering about "but, HE said THIS about ME first!" were just flat-out embarrassing (as a registered elephant). Throw in Santorum's grand-standing about God-knows-what and Paul reiterating the problems with absolutely no real solutions and we have a pretty open-and-shut case for Obama +4.

It was fun watching Mittens squirm when Wolf called him out on the ad he (minutes before) swore he had never heard of and assumed it was an ad by somebody else.
      14 torque-less wonder | 08 sorority special | seventwosix | flickr

01-27-2012 08:18 AM #34
      I'm disappointed that Hilary said that after Obama's first term she's getting out of the political arena. I think she would have made a great President. From the dick-swaggering evident on stage last night, those bozos are simply shooting the GOP in the foot.

You righty-tighties should be real proud of your offerings.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      01-27-2012 04:02 PM #35
      I'm disappointed that Hilary said that after Obama's first term she's getting out of the political arena. I think she would have made a great President. From the dick-swaggering evident on stage last night, those bozos are simply shooting the GOP in the foot.
      :
      this

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast