VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1979 Rabbit 16v turbo build

40K views 79 replies 23 participants last post by  scirocconaut 
#1 ·
So far I have mostly been cleaning, prepping and gathering parts but I figured I would start posting pictures and such and update as I go.

The Car:

wheels:

Engine Bay Cleaning(work in progress):

Cleaned and painted Block(9a 2.0):

Transmission Cleaning (02a from Passat 16v(work in Progress):

Rebuilt Head: 2.0L 16v

Parts accumulation:

wideband controller: http://www.vems.us/eaw52

guages:

ARP Headstuds and TT HD dual Valve Springs:

Hydro to Cable Clutch Conversin for 02a:

Engine Gasket Sets:

BBM Headspacer(Lowers Compression By One point for Boost:

Cast Exhaust manifold(T3 Flange+38MM Wastegate Flange) T3 Super 60, .48 Hotside .60 Cold

034 External Crank Trigger wheel+sensor+distributor Block/Wastespark Coil Mount

Vems V3 Ecu (built in MAP, Boost Control, Launch, Wideband, ETC.)

Bosch 550cc Injectors:

Bosch Motorsports Waste Spark Coil:

Thats all for now, I will post more pictures as more parts arrive and I make more progress.

See less See more
#2 ·
Spent all day yesterday out in the garage Soldering the connections for my CE2 fuseblock into my Rabbit. I've got a Plug and Play to CE2 wiring harness from Lugtronics which I did not want to cut up. Also started cutting up my stock 16v Intake manifold to piece together into my Short Runner Intake. Tax Refund should be here soon... Almost done buying parts

#4 ·
More progress

finished up soldering CE2 connections...

more parts arrived today.
New digifant injector cups for my short runner in progress. and new bolts for pressure plate to Flywheel.

New waterpump

New Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley

VR6 OBD1 Throttle Body

Also Got rid of the Battery tray to make room for Intercooler piping and just to tidy up the bay a bit.

#6 ·
Thanks for the positive words, my clutch kit arrived today. I have been doing some research to find a budget clutch that will hold up and is rated for the power I am looking to put out. After searching around I found this one:
http://www.clutchstar.com/product/f1-racing-stage-2-clutch-kit-1992-volkswagen-passat-sedan-2-0l

I haven't found anything on vortex about them but the guys on the honda forums say they have used them with good results, for the price, its worth a shot.

It arrived today and here is a shot of it, looks to be of good quality

#8 ·
More parts arrived. finally have everything to bolt the engine and transmission together permanently and start making some new engine/trans. mounts.

Resurfaced g60 Flywheel:

NOS Locking Gas cap:

Cluster W/ Tach.( currently have a speedo only cluster)

Fuel Filter:

Oil Cap Seal

Oil Pan Drain Plug & copper washer:

Dipstick Funnel:

Flywheel to crank bolts:

Freeze Plugs:

Thermostat:

Timing Belt:

Release bearing Guide tube/input shaft seal:

Lastly, Some euro bumper end clips(no sagging euro bumps for me)

Sorry to keep boring you with all of my new parts arriving but I am very close to being done buying parts. I will be building up the engine/trans in the next few weeks so stay tuned.

#12 ·
Dyno

Hi

is there any Dyno diagramms concerning the T3 Super 60, .48 Hotside .60 Cold ?

i have the same (car) project; but still dubbing about the turbo which is should take.

K24-7000
t3 super 60 .48
gt3071r .63
TD05-16G

(i want aprox 250 - 320 ps,..with a very smooth torque ...)

regards!

Vincent

#14 ·
Hi

is there any Dyno diagramms concerning the T3 Super 60, .48 Hotside .60 Cold ?

i have the same (car) project; but still dubbing about the turbo which is should take.

K24-7000
t3 super 60 .48
gt3071r .63
TD05-16G

(i want aprox 250 - 320 ps,..with a very smooth torque ...)

regards!

Vincent
Well, i wanted to go with a T platform turbo in case i decided to swap out turbos later I would have better options without buying a new manifold...also I wanted fast spool up and i have read that the super 60 spools like a Mother F**ker. I read here(http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/286499-t3-super-60) that one of the guys was running a super sixty on his gti and was pushing 288 hp with a water meth setup. My main concern was fast spool for pulling in and out of the nice tight turns up here in the mountains and at the auto-x/hillclimb events. I wont be doing much racing in a straight line so top end isn't as much of a priority. Hope This helps:beer:

search google using "t3 super sixty vwvortex" you can find some good stuff on it.

#20 ·
Ok, I have still been busting my ass in the garage just without much for updates on here. The progress I have been making was just body work in the engine bay and wheel wells, and I figure all that deserves is a before and after picture. before:
And cleaned and primed:
Today I gave myself a break from the body work to play with my welder and make one of my trans. mounts for o2a into mk1. New Crank seal,

then flywheel

then Clutch,

then input shaft seal and throwout bearing,

and together

then managed to get the block and trans in place by myself with my trolley jack :bam!:

after alot of measuring and leveling I ended up with this.

still need to finish welding and clean it up but I think it will work. Next up is the rear trans mount.

#23 ·
the car has been on the back burner for far too long. I finally finished prepping and priming the fenders. they will be put on with some fresh seam sealer tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to get a friend of mine to stop by this weekend. He is very handy with a paint sprayer and he will be spraying some much needed fresh alpine white on the fenders/core support. Once that is on I can finally stop test fitting and put it in there for good.

I also bought some more parts...

Volvo Thermostatic oil cooler sandwich/bsp to barbed fittings/empi oil cooler radiator

Spa 16v turbo bottom mount turbo/top mount wastegate manifold.(ebay manifold posted earlier positioned the turbo in such a way it was touching the firewall with the engine at a still) also pictured is the turbosmart ultragate 38mm wastegate I bought used off of vortex.

Bosch LSU4.2 Wideband 02 sensor (my vems setup was sold to me without one)

Bosch F5DP0R Platinum Spark Plug (apparently good for turbo application)

5 bolt downpipe flange with some 2.5" vband fittings and clamp to weld to flange/downpipe.

Forge dual piston Bov

Also bought some ARP Rod bolts for the hell of it, I figured one less thing to worry about in the bottom end.

Thats all for now. debating on buying an LSD and a few other things. Stay tuned

#25 ·
Well finally got around to painting the front end. Pretty happy with it. its a bit brighter than the rest of the car but I think with a good cleaning and maybe buffing and a fresh coat of dust from the dirt road I live on, it will look pretty even. Now for I can finally start assembly.

#27 ·
Spent some more money on go fast parts...
Scat Rods...

Weld els exhaust manifold kit from treadstone (tried two other manifolds and didnt like the turbo placement) and 16v flange from columbia river mandrel...

Short runner Intake manifold parts...

Autotech 16v sport cams intake 252 exhaust 264...

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.