Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FSI to TSI Swap?

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      06 Volk GTI
      01-18-2012 02:46 PM #1
      Now I very well could have missed a thread that was already started on this subject but I didn't happen to see any.

I have a 2006 GTI with a bit over 112k on the original FSI. I've had the car for a few months over a year and have dumped close to 3k into fixing things such as valve cover gasket, valve cover breather, boost cut off valve, factory down pipe and the passenger side side airbag. Also I have been having issues off and on with the flap motor getting stuck open. I realize non of these are directly involved with the FSI but with my luck so far with this car I have a feeling something is going to go wrong with the engine. Now my question is, are the mounting points and harness connections the same from the FSI to the newer TSI?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
      Thanks

Vehicles
      GTI APR II+ DO Water/Meth Stage 2
      01-18-2012 02:56 PM #2
      You would need the whole engine bay for the most part. FSI and TSI engines deliver fuel differently, iirc.

Engine
      intake
      sensors
      ecu
      ect...

You're better off selling your GTI and buying a new one honestly.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      06 Volk GTI
      01-18-2012 03:22 PM #3
      I owe way too much on the loan I have on it to be able to sell the car. I suppose I can deal with the FSI. I'll probably just look into pricing out crates. I made the mistake of buying one with 75k on it and paid too much for it .

Vehicles
      01-18-2012 03:30 PM #4
      I have an FSI and I really enjoy it. Aside from the flapper motor what else is wrong?

BTW- http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK5-VW-Jetta...ht_1016wt_1163 $75 for the flapper motor

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      01-18-2012 04:46 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by eatonrabbit. View Post
      You would need the whole engine bay for the most part. FSI and TSI engines deliver fuel differently, iirc.

Engine
      intake
      sensors
      ecu
      ect...

You're better off selling your GTI and buying a new one honestly.
      follow me on instagram: @hussdog426

2012 Golf TDI - looking for someone to take over the lease
      2012 GTI -

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      06 Volk GTI
      01-19-2012 10:30 AM #6
      I already have a new flapper motor but haven't gotten it installed yet because the code keeps going away. It was set when the shop that installed my new factory down pipe for me cleared the low cat efficiency code. It came back on the day after I got my car to pass re inspection. As far as anything else that's wrong with the car, I'm pretty sure, there's nothing wrong with anything in the engine area besides the fact that it eats oil but I've read the all do that. I know I need to replace the front wheel bearing really soon, lower control arm bushings are starting to tear a bit and need to be replaced, and I'm pretty certain some of my oem wheels are bent
      I just want the car to die viciously in such a way it can be totaled and my loan will go away lol. But that isn't going to happen.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      06 Volk GTI
      01-19-2012 10:35 AM #7
      I've actually had the flapper laying around the house for almost a year at this point. But I got a letter from VW saying the put a extended warranty on it so I'll probably bring it to a dealership and have them fix it if the code sets again, assuming I haven't passed the mileage limit since I got the letter probably 2 or so months ago.

Vehicles
      01-19-2012 10:46 AM #8
      sounds like you're past the hump for the most part. I'd for sure do the timing belt and water pump though. or at least be driving the car when either one goes out so that you can gently hit a tree or something so insurance will cover it.

I didn't suggest that... shhhhhh

Vehicles
      2009 GTI DSG
      01-19-2012 10:55 AM #9
      The flapper motor is more of and issue with tsi engines, my second one went at 60k and it is $200 for the replacement instead of $40.

Keep up and the cam follower do the timing belt and water pump and pcv, and be happy your flapper has and extended warrenty mine doesn't.

Vehicles
      07 CW GTI
      01-19-2012 01:23 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by R4G3-3D View Post
      factory down pipe
      Why did you replace the down pipe with a factory one? I imagine it would have been more than an aftermarket one.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      06 Volk GTI
      01-19-2012 03:09 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DaWolfsburg View Post
      Why did you replace the down pipe with a factory one? I imagine it would have been more than an aftermarket one.
      The down stream cat on my original factory down pipe went last winter and I had purchased a 42 Draft Designs 3", which was really nice, to replace it. However I didn't install it myself and trusted some friends at school to do it for me when I was in class. It turns out they tend to half ass stuff when something gets difficult so the flange between the flex and the cat didn't get tight enough so the gasket burned out and caused a low cat efficiency code to set. With that making me fail inspection then the airbag just dying after I got the nice R sticker for the cat code I just wanted it back to factory so I could try trading it in for something different that would be cheaper to fix and be more reliable. Reliable in terms of it not having something break every other week. And trust me I've contemplated getting it totaled but I don't feel like hurting my insurance or myself for that matter. I like spending $69 a month for my insurance.