Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 317 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did You Do To Your Golf R Today?

Vehicles
      '12 2dr CSG R / Retired: 01 TTQC
      01-31-2012 03:25 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      I'll be doing mine this weekend (along with an auto-dimming homelink RV mirror) and can do a write-up with pictures.
      w00t!

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      01-31-2012 03:28 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by iThread View Post
      Is it just me or did they also install it in the bottom of the pad and not the top?

I emailed them to see if they shipped mine yet and if not to please check that it went in the right one. If they get it wrong I might just disable the pad wear sensor with my vag-com and live with it for now.
      Yeah, that part is OK...it runs from the bottom right into the sensor on the car-see pic at link:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-TT_MKI.../Pads/ES11378/

Vehicles
      '12 2dr CSG R / Retired: 01 TTQC
      01-31-2012 03:30 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      Yep. Thanks for the info about where to plug in. I've never had a car where it took me more than 15 minutes to do, but I'm sure it'll be helpful for those not used to DIY to see step-by-step pics of where to connect the ground, how to remove the A-pillar trim piece, etc.
      yes.. it will be extremely helpful ... the last time i did this was 2002 so step by step with pics and parts for the n00bs would be lover-ly as i work up to bigger projects.

Vehicles
      MkVI Golf R
      01-31-2012 03:31 PM #144
      About to go out cruising on this 60ish degree winter day

Side note: Does anyone know the ETA of Golf R Monster Mats?

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      01-31-2012 03:35 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakerrrr View Post

yea i want some monster mats, but will not get the old ones with the previous .:R logo. everything must flow
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      MkVI Golf R
      01-31-2012 03:49 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      yea i want some monster mats, but will not get the old ones with the previous .:R logo. everything must flow
      Exactly, I may throw the ones from my mk4 in there for the time being so I don't mess up the cloth mats.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2011 Ford Explorer
      01-31-2012 03:52 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakerrrr View Post

From the mojo mat thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post75247140

I hope that's not the case, but it may be too low volume a car to justify monster mats...
      2012 Golf R - Candy White 4-door (Build Thread)

Vehicles
      67 Bug, 92 Miata, 12 Golf R.
      01-31-2012 03:52 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by johannes View Post
      Yeah, that part is OK...it runs from the bottom right into the sensor on the car-see pic at link:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-TT_MKI.../Pads/ES11378/
      Carbotech just emailed me back, mine are going out today and they confirmed that the sensor is on the right pad. Love these guys, excellent customer service.

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 03:55 PM #149
      Carbotech just emailed me back, mine are going out today and they confirmed that the sensor is on the right pad. Love these guys, excellent customer service.
      That's awesome. Gotta love a company that knows how to treat their customers!

Can you and johannes make a separate thread for these pads when you get them? This way, the info won't be lost in this thread...
      I think a lot of people will be very interested in them if the brake dust is really as bad as has been reported.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      01-31-2012 03:56 PM #150
      Yup...and their pads are even better

11. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      01-31-2012 04:02 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post

I hope that's not the case, but it may be too low volume a car to justify monster mats...
      wouldn't make sense since they did it for the MKIV and MKV R.
      '85 Golf (SOLD) - '91 Jetta GL (SOLD) - '97 Jetta Trek (SOLD) - '99 Jetta Wolfsburg (SOLD) - '02 GTI 337 - '04 R32 (SOLD) - '04 R32 - '10 GTI Autobahn (SOLD) - '12 Golf R (SOLD) - '13 Tiguan SEL (SOLD) - '13 Golf R - '15 GTI Autobahn - '15 .........

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 04:04 PM #152
      That's awesome. Gotta love a company that knows how to treat their customers!

Can you and johannes make a separate thread for these pads when you get them? This way, the info won't be lost in this thread...
      I think a lot of people will be very interested in them if the brake dust is really as bad as has been reported.
      Trust me, the 1521 pads are the real deal. I've been running them for years in all my cars from my MKIV R32 with a Stasis BBK, a MKV GLI with a stoptech BBK to my 92 Miata. I even use them on my wife's Routan because I trust them that much. They don't dust much at all, have great modulation, are quiet, don't eat rotors, and are compatible with their racing pads without having to swap rotors or turn your existing ones. Initial cold bite is OEM and the excellent bite and modulation continues beyond temperatures the stockers would start to fade at.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      01-31-2012 04:16 PM #153
      Trust me, the 1521 pads are the real deal. I've been running them for years in all my cars from my MKIV R32 with a Stasis BBK, a MKV GLI with a stoptech BBK to my 92 Miata. I even use them on my wife's Routan because I trust them that much. They don't dust much at all, have great modulation, are quiet, don't eat rotors, and are compatible with their racing pads without having to swap rotors or turn your existing ones. Initial cold bite is OEM and the excellent bite and modulation continues beyond temperatures the stockers would start to fade at.

On this strength of this recommendation and positive reviews online, I just called in an order for these.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 04:38 PM #154

That sounds like a pretty solid recommendation... What exactly is it that I need to order? You said you called to verify something being correct on your order. What is it that I have to make sure of?
      I've changed pads / rotors on my Honda, but I'm no mechanic... I want to make sure that if I order the pads, I have exactly what I need.
      About turning the rotors for the new pads. Assuming I do it at the dealership when I pick up the car, I won't need to turn them since they're effectively new. How long after delivery does it become necessary to turn them?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01-31-2012 04:42 PM #155
      That sounds like a pretty solid recommendation... What exactly is it that I need to order? You said you called to verify something being correct on your order. What is it that I have to make sure of?
      I've changed pads / rotors on my Honda, but I'm no mechanic... I want to make sure that if I order the pads, I have exactly what I need.
      About turning the rotors for the new pads. Assuming I do it at the dealership when I pick up the car, I won't need to turn them since they're effectively new. How long after delivery does it become necessary to turn them?
      As long as you don't have any deep scoring, distortion, or major deposits on the rotor surface, it isn't necessary to turn them.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '13.5 Platinum Grey GLI Autobahn w/ Nav, '12 Black Passat 2.5 SE W/ Nav, '12 Golf R Stg 2+ (Sold)
      01-31-2012 04:45 PM #156
      Whats the part number for these? I want to order some, but I want to check some local avenues first.

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      01-31-2012 04:46 PM #157

i hope thats not true. seems pretty stupid to introduce and advertise a R-Line and then not have monster mats for it
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 04:46 PM #158
      Since the Golf R is so new they're not totally familiar with it yet but, assuring them that we have the same brakes as the TT-S (which we do) they let me order them. THey asked that after I install them to let them know they fit properly so they can include the Golf R on their website and also let their distributors know.

What you'd want to order are the 1521 pads for a TT-S (though based on how many of us have ordered them you can probably say Golf R and they'll get you the right pads.) I'd also ask that they install the pad wear sensor for you unless you don't want it and want to disable the sensor with a vag-com.

If you've changed pads and rotors before you should be ok but, if you're the least bit doubtful about it have a mechanic do it. They're brakes and you don't want to **** about with them. You don't want to risk having to mash the pedal in a panic and the brakes not performing.

As for how long before you have to have the rotors turned you should be good if you get rid of the stockers in a couple of hundred miles of normal street driving. I'm planning on just roughing the rotors up a bit with some light sand paper when installing mine. I'll have less than 200 miles on the car when they go on though. And, I can still see the machining grooves on the rotors.

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 04:51 PM #159
      Since the Golf R is so new they're not totally familiar with it yet but, assuring them that we have the same brakes as the TT-S (which we do) they let me order them. THey asked that after I install them to let them know they fit properly so they can include the Golf R on their website and also let their distributors know.

What you'd want to order are the 1521 pads for a TT-S (though based on how many of us have ordered them you can probably say Golf R and they'll get you the right pads.) I'd also ask that they install the pad wear sensor for you unless you don't want it and want to disable the sensor with a vag-com.

If you've changed pads and rotors before you should be ok but, if you're the least bit doubtful about it have a mechanic do it. They're brakes and you don't want to **** about with them. You don't want to risk having to mash the pedal in a panic and the brakes not performing.

As for how long before you have to have the rotors turned you should be good if you get rid of the stockers in a couple of hundred miles of normal street driving. I'm planning on just roughing the rotors up a bit with some light sand paper when installing mine. I'll have less than 200 miles on the car when they go on though. And, I can still see the machining grooves on the rotors.
      Great, thanks for the info!
      How much was it for the set, all said & done?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01-31-2012 04:56 PM #160
      Enough Golf R people have ordered these that they'll know which pads you need. For your info, the front pads are CT915 and the rears are CT1108. I asked for the pad wear sensors and confirmed that the wear sensors need to be on the inner pads.

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 05:01 PM #161
      Great, thanks for the info!
      How much was it for the set, all said & done?
      $267 plus shipping for fronts and rears.

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 05:42 PM #162
      $267 plus shipping for fronts and rears.
      That's going to be a tough sell to the wife... We're moving about a month after picking up the car, so it's going to be a nutty time for us financially.

I just really want to know how bad the stock brakes dust... It's hard to quantify someone's approximation of "a lot" without seeing what they're seeing.

Vehicles
      01-31-2012 05:50 PM #163
      That's going to be a tough sell to the wife... We're moving about a month after picking up the car, so it's going to be a nutty time for us financially.

I just really want to know how bad the stock brakes dust... It's hard to quantify someone's approximation of "a lot" without seeing what they're seeing.
      The stock brakes perform well. They stop the car in normal driving just fine. But, they dust a lot. Maybe it's just because they're new but, after a 25 mile round trip there was noticeable dust on the front wheels a little less on the rears. More noticeable when I started wiping them off, my blue microfiber cloth started turning black.

But, the dust isn't the primary reason I'm swapping out the OEM pads. It's just i've used carbotech pads for years and am used to them and like how they perform. The OEM pads just don't do it for me.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      01-31-2012 06:25 PM #164
      The stock brakes perform well. They stop the car in normal driving just fine. But, they dust a lot. Maybe it's just because they're new but, after a 25 mile round trip there was noticeable dust on the front wheels a little less on the rears. More noticeable when I started wiping them off, my blue microfiber cloth started turning black.

But, the dust isn't the primary reason I'm swapping out the OEM pads. It's just i've used carbotech pads for years and am used to them and like how they perform. The OEM pads just don't do it for me.
      +1 on every word iThread has written...this will be my fifth set of Carbotechs.
      Whenever I can get my R to the track, I will be running their race pads as well

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-Door
      01-31-2012 06:44 PM #165
      It's not hyperbole. The dust is to the point where I dread cleaning my wheels simply because as soon as I hit the brakes there will be a nice coating of dust applied to them. "A lot" is really the best description.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      01-31-2012 06:54 PM #166
      +1 The brake dust is shockingly bad...to someone who has lots of experience with the dust-o-matic OEM BMW pads.

01-31-2012 10:11 PM #167
      Ordered a Diesel Geek short shifter. I hope it makes it in by Friday so I can install it this weekend.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_six_spe.../ss-sigma6.htm
      Engineer @ TriMech Solutions | Certified SolidWorks Expert
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Form Engineer & Weldor @ Advanced Armament Corporation
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      2012 Golf R & 1982 Jetta Coupe

Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R 4dr, 13 RB Golf R 2dr, 2012 Abarth (GONE!), 1967 Bug
      01-31-2012 10:22 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by AAC Welder View Post
      Ordered a Diesel Geek short shifter. I hope it makes it in by Friday so I can install it this weekend.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_six_spe.../ss-sigma6.htm
      i have a dieselgeek shortshifter on my MKV. i LOVE it. it is on the list for one of my first mods for the R once i see how the shifter feel is stock.

best quality short shifter on the market, hands down.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      01-31-2012 10:36 PM #169
      Just scored some 17x8 TR Motorsports MT01s for the track....thanks Brett!

30. Member
      Vehicles
      71 Porsche 914 w EJ20 Swap, 2008 R32, 2002 Jetta GLX VR6 Wagon, 04 Audi A4 Quattro RS4 look.
      01-31-2012 11:56 PM #170
      Supposed to be at the Dealership Feb 9th//// was hoping to get it on my Birthday 2/1

Slate Gray/Sun/Nav clear bra right away!

Kyle

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      02-01-2012 12:06 AM #171
      Changed color from CW to RB....

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 01:42 PM #172
      Here's what's showing up on my doorstep today....

APR Intake (Standard FSI one for now)
      APR High Pressure Fuel Pump
      Carbotech 1521 Pads front and rear

I'm taking tomorrow off so I can throw the fuel pump and intake on to go get the stage 1+ flash and then I'll install the pads this weekend.

Sunday is going to be a fun driving day.

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 02:56 PM #173
      Here's what's showing up on my doorstep today....

APR Intake (Standard FSI one for now)
      APR High Pressure Fuel Pump
      Carbotech 1521 Pads front and rear

I'm taking tomorrow off so I can throw the fuel pump and intake on to go get the stage 1+ flash and then I'll install the pads this weekend.

Sunday is going to be a fun driving day.
      Is there any way that you could post a DIY with pics of the brake pad replacement?
      I'd like to do it myself, but want to make sure I don't eff it up...
      Otherwise, I'll have to pay the dealership to do it when I pick it up and wait even longer before taking it off the lot!

And yes, your Sunday sounds like it's going to be pretty epic!

34. Banned
      Vehicles
      72 TR-6, 78 911SC, 84 Vanagon Wesfalia, 06 Colorado, 00 Mk4 GTI w/R on order
      02-02-2012 03:11 PM #174
      Is there any way that you could post a DIY with pics of the brake pad replacement?.....
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post50122390

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3942932

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 03:17 PM #175

Page 5 of 317 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast