Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TBA error, motorized throttle body fix mk3 obd2 vr6???

1. 01-19-2012 01:36 AM #1
      Has anyone esle tried a TBA on the mk3 obd2 vr6 and got an error code. I have 6 throttle bodies that all give the error code upon doing a TBA. I have one that does work correctly though. So I'm gonna clean the heck out of two and take one apart and see what's inside to see if there is a fix.

Why... I see that that the one that works correctly has a smoother idle and less blips when cruising around, plus at high rpm the car returns back to idle a tad faster.

I have a turbo'd vr, so maybe it's just all in my head....

Has anyone tried to fix one? Is there really any point beside learning the correct positions for the idle, part throttle, and WOT ...would aid in the better air/fuel ratio at the correct TPS location.
      "I admit that I'm often...vexed by the behavior of my own people..." - Huey Freeman (The Boondocks)
      GTS Performance

2. 01-19-2012 02:17 AM #2
      ok so I cleaned two as best as I could and tried to take the other apart. You can't do much in the inside. So I tried the cleaned two, still error. So I decide to pull out the butterfly on one and give it a shot. It worked and run as it was designed no error code. So I cleaned really good around the butterfly and the hard to get spots, and reassembled it back together. and ran it again, it worked just fine. Did the same to the other one, worked too. So it must be the carbon build up in the far cracks the you can't get with the butterfly in. Gonna see if it acts like my original one that worked tomorrow.
      "I admit that I'm often...vexed by the behavior of my own people..." - Huey Freeman (The Boondocks)
      GTS Performance

3. Member
      Vehicles
      97 jetta GLX
      01-21-2012 07:52 AM #3
      i also get an error code in my mk4, maybe ill try the same trick
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      "You see, i'm from Jersey."

That'll cover about anything.
      VRalliance #6

4. 01-21-2012 12:12 PM #4
      I have a similar problem with a 96 GTI AAA code VR6 with 97,000 miles in Guadalajara, Mexico. What
      fault code did VAG-COM report before you took out the butterfly valve for cleaning? On the 96 GTI we cleaned the throttle body until it was spotless but still had a fault code.

5. 01-22-2012 03:21 PM #5
      I didn't get any hard dtc code, just and error in block 098 cell 4 if I tried to do a TBA.

After doing a few more I see the main problem. The butterfly is off, meaning it's barely getting caught on the TB itself during the test. So what I did was cleaned the heck out of it, and aligned the butterfly.

To do that I put the butterfly back in and left the screws about 1-1 1/2 turns from being tight, and then I did a TBA, and the TBA should work. Then I evenly tightened the butterfly screws and tried to do a TBA again. ItT works on the first try for most, buts some took a few tries of playing with the screws. But you'll get it. After your doing you should be able to put the TB in the air towards the sun and see and nice even ring around the butterfly.

Hope this helps.
      GTS Performance

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      02-22-2012 06:26 PM #6
      mine adapts but when im looking at it in vag it only shows idle and part throttle, it wont show up as wot even at the floor. Im getting a blip in boost at the top 2-3 pounds (between 10-13psi) where you can feel a power shift.

does anyone have the pot voltages from idle to wot, idle mine sits at about 4.7 , what should be wot around .8v this is pot1
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

7. 02-23-2012 12:53 PM #7
      You can only read WOT when the car is running. I will check today and see what my volt reads in pot 1 and 2.
      GTS Performance

8. 02-23-2012 02:05 PM #8
      Actually, I think you can read WOT voltages without the engine running. I took apart a throttle body
      on a 96 GTI VR6 code AAA reconnected the wiring harness and operated the throttle plate by
      hand and scanned the voltages with VCDS connected. I did not record the voltages as we were trying to get rid of the error in basic setting for throttle body adaptation. Like the above posts just cleaning the assembled throttle body off the car did not delete the adaptation error.

Vehicles
      New 04 pd100 Old setup 94 JTI Vrt 60-1 .58ar exh obd2 440 racefile 20psi/meth
      02-23-2012 07:19 PM #9
      sweet ill be waiting
      Coming soon 4dr pd golf on air dipped blue with hitch racks and skid. Real work horse
      Automatic cause shifting short ratio sucks

10. Member
      Vehicles
      MK3 VR6 Jetta, 1973 BMW 520, Triumph Bonneville T100
      02-24-2012 08:49 PM #10
      As previously stated, the TB butterfly is minutely off. Tap it very gingerly with a brass hammer.