Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Paging Punchy and any other boxing/MMA types

1. 01-19-2012 09:54 PM #1
      I think I need better gloves to use for heavy bag training.

I'm taking Krav Maga, and the cheapo "UFC" gloves I got aren't protecting my fingers quite enough.
      http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=11168920

After any serious session, I end up with bloody 2nd knuckles, mostly on my right hand index finger. This is a problem, because my day job entails a lot of typing.

Now I recognize that form is important, and I have corrected the elements of form that resulted in my ring and pinky fingers getting messed up. But the way my hand is constructed, I just can't seem to get my index finger tucked under far enough that it is out of harm's way.

So this is really a two part question:

1. How do people keep their knuckles from getting beat all to hell when doing vigorous heavy bag training?

2. What are some better gloves that would protect my hand better? Or should I be taping my fingers or something?

Edit: This is the bag I have, incidentally. It's 100#
      Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 01-19-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-19-2012 10:58 PM #2
      Those gloves are terrible, and rip easily.

You should buy some bag training gloves, they are much better.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

3. 01-19-2012 11:22 PM #3
      Any specific suggestions?

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      01-19-2012 11:55 PM #4
      These have been good for me:

http://how-to-box.com/store/equipmen...ag_Gloves.html

My job in junior hockey was to fight, and my hands are very beat up, scarred, etc, and using 4 oz. MMA gloves on the bag, I still got several pressure cuts and abrasions, and tore every pair I owned. Since I really wasn't punching a human, I realized it might be better to get something to protect my hands against an inanimate object, and these have done the job so far.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

5. Member
      01-20-2012 12:19 AM #5
      Hey David, i'll pull punchy and grap and all the mma dudes over here. I have a connection.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      01-20-2012 07:01 AM #6
      Are you wrapping your hands first? I would start there. Then, any 14-16 oz gloves should do nicely.

7. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      01-20-2012 07:06 AM #7
      I've never used MMA gloves but I use hand wraps under my boxing gloves for my class. I found this helped a lot.

8. 01-20-2012 07:21 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      Are you wrapping your hands first? I would start there. Then, any 14-16 oz gloves should do nicely.
      I am not. Any good tutorials on proper hand wrapping out there?

9. 01-20-2012 07:21 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Hey David, i'll pull punchy and grap and all the mma dudes over here. I have a connection.
      ttka to the rescue.

10. Member
      01-20-2012 10:14 AM #10
      ok ok, MMA guys are here. I happened to come across the thread in my stumblings around.

you need to use a set of wraps as pictured, this will keep your hands protected. there are a ton of "how to" wrap videos on YouTube. Learn how to do it correctly and you'll be fine.

If you are purely working on a bag, you need a set of bag gloves, not 4oz MMA gloves. No one hits a bag with these.

here's a link to some bag specific gloves:
      http://www.mmaoutlet.com/Bag-Gloves-C23.aspx

with a set of real boxing gloves you will also get solid wrist support, which is important as to not damage your wrist.

11. 01-21-2012 04:02 PM #11
      Thanks for the input folks.

I ended up getting these:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...w=009283516765

Seems like pretty good wrist support, and reasonably comfortable. I tried on several different styles of gloves before deciding on these.

Picked up a 3 pack of wraps at the same time. They came with instructions. Pretty simple, really.

I went at the bag a bit with them when I got home. Not bad.

Now I have to work on a way to stabilize the bag. It's hanging from about 5' of chain, from the peak of my garage roof, and tends to move around a lot. I had hoped at 100# it wouldn't move so much. It turns out the ones at the training facility I go to are 185#, which explains their relative stability.

The other thing I realized is that this is a lot of fun. I absolutely love being able to come home after a crappy commute and pound the sh!t out of something. It really calms me down.

Vehicles
      01-24-2012 11:40 AM #12
      if you're strictly hitting the heavy bag and not using these gloves for anything else, i would've opted for traditional boxing gloves with thumbs and the little connector at the tip of the thumb. if your bag is swaying like crazy you might clip your thumb and hurt it. also the more oz the easier it will be on your hands.

Vehicles
      2009 370Z sport/touring
      01-24-2012 03:35 PM #13
      I use revgear boxing gloves (12oz) and nonelastic wraps. My classes are an hour and a half long and I've never bloodied my knuckles or hurt my thumbs or wrists on any surface, heavy bag, speed bag, or sparring.

Vehicles
      83 GTI, 03 GOLF
      03-22-2012 01:16 PM #14
      When I started Kick boxing my knuckles would get torn up. I learned that hand wraps help big time. Also if you are just starting out your body needs to adapt. Everyone who just starts punching pags will have some sort of a abrasion on their knuckles!
      Quote Originally Posted by g60vw View Post
      If I thought like that I would have gotten out of mk1's back when they were still A1's
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      screw all of you & your stupid cars.........see you at madness!
      I'm a 1%er