Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Buying and owning a hotel room?

1. 01-21-2012 02:39 PM #1
      Any of you have any experience with owning a hotel room?

I was flipping through the pages of this real estate magazine, and I saw an ad for a 550sqft condo in Whistler. I did some more research and found many more in the same price range. From 100g to 150g.

I know that the hotel gives you a certain amount of days to stay there for free, but what is the potential return on these, once the condo is payed off.

Marketing costs, maintenance fees, etc, are they payed by the owner or the hotel chain?

Do you think it's possible to negotiate for an unlimited time option, or will they reserve the right to have blackout dates.

I mountain bike in the summer and snowboard quite a bit in the winter, and I do stay an average of 20 to 30 nights per year in Whistler. That's almost 4000$ a year in hotel fees.

What do you think?

2. 01-23-2012 03:23 AM #2
      Do you mean time shares? That sounds like what you're describing.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      01-23-2012 04:18 AM #3
      yeah, I think you are talking about time share ownership.

I've owned timeshares and my parents own them as well.

The available dates for use depend on the timeshare terms. With a timeshare, most of the time you pay an annual HOA fee that covers the maintenance, management, insurance and other items of the property.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      01-23-2012 04:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      Any of you have any experience with owning a hotel room?
      ha, that made me laugh.

While it isn't a bad idea, do some research on it. That's another area where people got screwed with the economy. They bought these timeshare rentals and were told it was much easier to get rid of (if they ran into hard times) than it really is (shocked).

I *think* there are a few sites where you can buy from distressed owners. That would be my first area to research.

Vehicles
      Mercedes-Benz GLK250, BMW 335is
      01-28-2012 04:24 PM #5
      He's not necessarily talking about a timeshare. There are also condotels where the units are owned by individual people (not shared ownership like timeshares) but are rented out like hotel rooms and the owner gets to stay so many weeks. These places look exactly like hotels, have a front desk, maid service, all that stuff.

I'm not sure which he is asking about. Condotels are better than timeshares because at least you do own it all by yourself, just like a normal condo, but the rules and the managing association can fairly easily turn it into a disaster.

I wouldn't recommend a condotel or a timeshare.

6. 01-28-2012 05:00 PM #6
      Thank you guys for your replies, I did some further research, and found that the real estate in whistler is little tricky.

So there are three types of ownership, unrestricted, phase 1 and phase 2.

Here's a video I found

The property I was looking at was phase 2 which is the most restrictive one of all. I'm guessing that's why it's much cheaper than others.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan 07 Suzi Swift
      01-29-2012 06:13 PM #7
      It's in Whistler, tell them to go Whistle for their cash !! Time share generally is a complete waste of money.
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack
      http://www.alexandra.co.nz/

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      01-31-2012 12:06 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMD View Post

I wouldn't recommend a condotel or a timeshare.
      My wife and I went on a time share tour to get a free meal at a fancy restaurant the last time we were in the caribbean.

I just don't understand the reason for owning one. The returns really aren't there from a strictly investment point of view. And what's the point of being tied to a certain vacation for the next 30 years if you're mortgaging it? And if they're such fantastic opportunities, then why won't they let you go home and research them --- why do you have to sign right then at the end of the 2 hour tour

Ultimately, I don't see the advantage to owning either vs. just renting one for a vacation.

I mean, if you're spending $150k to own a hotel room, that's $800/mo on a 30 year, 5% loan. I'm sure there are fees that go to the hotel as well. So maybe you're paying $1000/mo for 56 days at the hotel (28 summer, 28 winter per the video). That's $215/night and you basically have to go there. I'd much rather spend that money going to other places ---- and not having to worry that in 5 years I might not be able to afford that many vacation days.

01-31-2012 02:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      I mountain bike in the summer and snowboard quite a bit in the winter, and I do stay an average of 20 to 30 nights per year in Whistler. That's almost 4000$ a year in hotel fees.
      So is your primary motivation just to save money on lodging when you go on vacation? There's plenty of good reasons to buy real estate, but I'm not sure this is one of them.

10. 01-31-2012 03:19 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      So is your primary motivation just to save money on lodging when you go on vacation? There's plenty of good reasons to buy real estate, but I'm not sure this is one of them.
      No, no, my primary motivation would be to own a small piece of rental property, and the benefit of me able to visit when I want would just be a plus.

But from what I'm gathering around, it's seems to be a hassle. And like the other fella said, I don't like to be tied in to one place...

So, let's scratch this idea out. Haha

Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      02-07-2012 02:08 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMD View Post
      He's not necessarily talking about a timeshare. There are also condotels where the units are owned by individual people (not shared ownership like timeshares) but are rented out like hotel rooms and the owner gets to stay so many weeks. These places look exactly like hotels, have a front desk, maid service, all that stuff.

I'm not sure which he is asking about. Condotels are better than timeshares because at least you do own it all by yourself, just like a normal condo, but the rules and the managing association can fairly easily turn it into a disaster.
      There are two beachfront HOA's near my house kinda like this but a little different. They're a mix of custom single family homes (with a heavy HOA feel, not like a suburban neighborhood), and town homes (shared walls). You can own a home and live there year round, keep it as a private vacation home, setup a tenants in common, rent it out on the day's your not there, or rent it out all the time. Whatever path you choose, the HOA takes care of the whole thing. Cool setup if you've got the money. No clue if there is any potential profit, but they're cool non the less.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit 1.8L, 84 Rabbit GTI 20vBT Swap, 86 Audi 4000Q, 96 Audi A4Q V6, 02 Audi A4 1.8T
      02-09-2012 08:52 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by NZTIGUAN View Post
      Time share generally is a complete waste of money.
      Correction, Time shares ARE a waste of money....
      What is something you learned last year that you are going to do differently this year?