Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracking windshield and annoying rattle on 2012 Beetle

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle
      01-21-2012 06:00 PM #1
      I have a 2012 Beetle with a 2.5 liter automatic. The windshield cracked today when I hit a pothole-this happen to anyone else? Also, I have an insanely annoying metallic rattle coming from the right rear of the car-any ideas?

Vehicles
      2014 BEETLE GSR
      01-21-2012 06:49 PM #2
      I think there was an earlier post where under the spare tire one of the tools fell out and was rattling around in the spare tire well???? Hope this helps????

KNEWBUG

01-21-2012 07:03 PM #3
      Welcome to the forum, Patrick.

That's the first windshield casualty I've heard of on the 2012 Beetle.

Our friend KNEWBUG may be right. Check your tools first.

That sound coming from the rear may be from the hatch rattling. The problem has been mentioned here and is an issue I've experienced. I initially thought I had loose tools, but that idea did not pan out. The DIY solution seems to be inserting bumper/cushioning material around the area where the latch is.

Bill
      2012 Beetle 2.0 TSI/DSG White Launch Edition
      2012 A3 2.0 TDI/DSG White S-Line Premium

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE w/Convenience, 2010 Chrysler Town & Country
      01-24-2012 02:34 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by UTE View Post
      Welcome to the forum, Patrick.

That's the first windshield casualty I've heard of on the 2012 Beetle.

Our friend KNEWBUG may be right. Check your tools first.

That sound coming from the rear may be from the hatch rattling. The problem has been mentioned here and is an issue I've experienced. I initially thought I had loose tools, but that idea did not pan out. The DIY solution seems to be inserting bumper/cushioning material around the area where the latch is.

Bill
      Cracked my windshield the day after delivery. Not from a pothole though, a rock while I was traveling on the highway.
      Any company that can use the Imperial March is my kind of company

Vehicles
      '12 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle; '08 Honda Element
      01-25-2012 04:58 PM #5
      ...The DIY solution seems to be inserting bumper/cushioning material around the area where the latch is.

Bill
      Bill,

If at all possible could you post a pic of this?

01-25-2012 07:15 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by plex03 View Post
      If at all possible could you post a pic of this?
      No.

Not being a jerk (but, then again, I have not checked in with the wives today for their opinion). I have not fixed my rattle. I'm saving it for the next time I visit the dealer (in Feb). It's another member who did a DIY fix. He talked about it in one of the complaint threads.

Bill
      2012 Beetle 2.0 TSI/DSG White Launch Edition
      2012 A3 2.0 TDI/DSG White S-Line Premium

Vehicles
      01-25-2012 10:02 PM #7
      No.

Not being a jerk (but, then again, I have not checked in with the wives today for their opinion). I have not fixed my rattle. I'm saving it for the next time I visit the dealer (in Feb). It's another member who did a DIY fix. He talked about it in one of the complaint threads.

Bill
      Gotcha....LOL

Actually, I thought I had the problem pegged although it's not super bad on mine.

What I did discover however is that the foam piece that the spare tools go into also holds the jack. Well when you lift that out there is no foam underneath the jack itself separating it from the metal wheel of the spare. I did stuff a rag between the jack and the wheel on the spare but I'm not so sure it made any difference.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf 1.8 T Sport package, Fender, Sunroof.
      01-26-2012 01:21 AM #8
      Rear Rattle!!! Maybe your rattle is on mechanics explanation

Just dropped my 2012 2.5 for the 90 days courtesy warranty check, totld them about Wind Noise, mechanic told me that there are two flats in the rear cabin by rear fenders that work to equalize cabin preasure when closing doors
      Mechanics explanation was that flats sometimes get stuck open creating or allowing air to come in cabin creating that annoying wind noise at high speeds, SOLUTION? Attaching some weights to flaps so they stay close more often
      2015 Golf TSI 1.8T Pure White w/Sport Package Body Kit,
      Sunroof, Fender Audio, Madrid Wheels.
      2006 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R, 2013 Audi Allroad, 2013 Ram 2500 Megacab Diesel
      03-07-2012 03:17 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by a6m5zerosen View Post
      I have a 2012 Beetle with a 2.5 liter automatic. The windshield cracked today when I hit a pothole-this happen to anyone else? Also, I have an insanely annoying metallic rattle coming from the right rear of the car-any ideas?
      Mine is in today getting the windshield replaced due to it cracking at the top center. The dealer is covering it under warranty since there was no visable sign of a rock chip or anything.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Beetle
      03-07-2012 10:09 PM #10
      The dealer replaced mine also, but I had to contact VW Customer Care to get them to do it. Mine cracked at the top center also.

11. 04-27-2012 12:27 PM #11
      I've had my turbo Beetle one month and yesterday my windshield randomly cracked from the top middle down about 8 inches- while it was parked in a protected place. I'm also having an issue with the driver's side window going berserk- which the dealership has told me is an issue they've already seen several times on other 2012 Beetles. The dealership that I bought it from (desert vw in Vegas)gave me attitude so I called VW customer care and they sent me to a much better dealership that's at least willing to consider that this is obviously some sort of manufacturer defect.

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 06:52 PM #12
      Throttlechop,

The drivers side and passenger side window problem is a known issue with VW now and replacement parts are now available that address the issue.

Here's info taken from another thread:

A C/S Drivers window does not respond to switch at times SOP
      Cause: F

R 64540199
      417 WVW 0.10
      1 5CO-957-821 GEAR

70591900 Front Door Trim Panel Remove and Reinstall
      417 WVW 0.40

64541950 WINDOW MOTOR REIMOVE +REINSTALL
      417 WVW 0.10

R 64531599
      417 WVW 0.40

I printed that out and took it into my dealer who confirmed it and ordered the parts.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle Reflex Silver Met.
      04-27-2012 11:03 PM #13
      Plex, when they did the parts swap for your window, did it correct the problem completely? I have my 3 month appointment comming up next month and want to get mine fixed... drives me crazy.. What did they say was the exact problem with the windows anyway.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 02:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Stingme1975 View Post
      Plex, when they did the parts swap for your window, did it correct the problem completely? I have my 3 month appointment comming up next month and want to get mine fixed... drives me crazy.. What did they say was the exact problem with the windows anyway.
      I haven't had it in yet to get fixed due to being out of town for work. Probably get it in late next week.

15. 04-30-2012 09:52 PM #15
      Yeah there were some windshields installed improperly and it leads to stress fractures. The windows issue can be one of several things. The seal, the motor, the gear the motor turns, or the alignment of the window.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      05-10-2012 08:23 AM #16
      Interesting... If I'm reading this thread correctly, at least 4 members here experienced a cracked windshield near the top, without having anything hit the windshield.

Well, I just got mine back from the shop for the very same thing, however, the glass installer suggested that the crack seemed as if something pulled on the rear view mirror or hit it, or something to that effect (which did not happen). So, I believe they will be billing my insurance.

I will see if I can contact VW and look into this further.

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 08:42 AM #17
      OK, I just got off the phone w/VW Owner's Customer CARE and mentioned my experience w/the windshield cracking and also mentioned that it has been reported by a number of other 2012 Beetle owners.

I suggest that in order to get this issue on VW's radar, anyone who has experienced this issue call VW Owner's Customer Care at:

1-800-822-8987

8 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time in the contiguous United States

Additionally, you can file a report on NHTSA's Web site at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This should get the ball rolling so issues like this will be taken care of through VW.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI & 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      05-10-2012 01:03 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by the beet View Post
      OK, I just got off the phone w/VW Owner's Customer CARE and mentioned my experience w/the windshield cracking and also mentioned that it has been reported by a number of other 2012 Beetle owners.

I suggest that in order to get this issue on VW's radar, anyone who has experienced this issue call VW Owner's Customer Care at:

1-800-822-8987

8 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time in the contiguous United States

Additionally, you can file a report on NHTSA's Web site at:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This should get the ball rolling so issues like this will be taken care of through VW.
      Customer Care is a completely appropriate number to call, even if VW is doing a good job replacing the windshields, which is seems like they are. Customer Care is responsible for making sure you're satisfied with the outcome.

NHTSA is really for safety issues... things that cause accidents and/or fires with a likelihood of injury or death. A crack in a new windshield shouldn't happen, but it's an annoyance more than anything; cracks don't cause injury or death, unless you're saying that the windshields are breaking into pieces in the driver's face. The Toyota gas pedal problem... that was something worth reporting to NHTSA, but I'm not sure that this is. If your stereo stops working, you don't call NHTSA. If your door handle breaks off, you don't call NHTSA. You utilize the bumper-to-bumper warranty in situations like these, call Customer Care, and go on your way. My $0.02.

Vehicles
      05-11-2012 08:13 AM #19
      Medium,

The woman I spoke to at VW Owner's Customer Care suggested I (we) report it on NHTSA'a Web site. I was conserned that this information was not "out there". I do not believe VW has recognized this as a defect as yet. As she mentioned, they do not have time to review all of the forums to check for these reports.

I personally would not report something like a broken radio to NHTSA, however, a cracked windshield can pose a safety issue. It begins with a crack...
      Last edited by the beet; 05-11-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 09:26 PM #20
      This is a copy of the report I just filed on NHTSA's Web site. I suggest others who have experienced the same or similar issue make a report. It can only benefit the VW Beetle community. Thanks.:

I noticed a set of cracks near the top of my windshield, approximately at the point where the rear view mirror attaches and extending up to the roof line edge. The cracks were approximately 6" - 8" in length. I have no idea when or how it occurred as I do not recall any stone or other road debris hitting the windshield, there was no sound of anything hitting the windshield or small chip in the glass where the impact would have occurred. I did not park it under a tree and nothing fell on or hit the glass to my knowledge. I have heard similar reports from other 2012 VW Beetle owners, and it was suggested that some windshields were installed improperly and could lead to stress fractures. There are a list of similar complaints found at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...on-2012-Beetle
      Last edited by the beet; 05-12-2012 at 09:36 PM.

21. 05-12-2012 10:54 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Throttlechop View Post
      I've had my turbo Beetle one month and yesterday my windshield randomly cracked from the top middle down about 8 inches- while it was parked in a protected place. I'm also having an issue with the driver's side window going berserk- which the dealership has told me is an issue they've already seen several times on other 2012 Beetles. The dealership that I bought it from (desert vw in Vegas)gave me attitude so I called VW customer care and they sent me to a much better dealership that's at least willing to consider that this is obviously some sort of manufacturer defect.
      I also had the same window issue and after many trips they finally admitted it's an issue when I pointed out there is a service bulletin out on it.

22. 05-12-2012 10:58 PM #22
      [QUOTE=2012Turbo-B;77359928]I also had the same window issue and after many trips they finally admitted it's an issue when I pointed out there is a service bulletin out on it. This would be the drivers window having a mind of it's own

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 11:32 AM #23
      a6m5zerosen, OTAMYWY, a6m5zerosen, Throttlechop and anyone else who has experienced the windshield crack should file a report on the NHTSA Web site and also call VW Customer Care so we can get this on the radar.

As far as the side window(s), that has been a known issue for some time now and VW has a fix for it. I also still experience the issue w/my 2006 New Beetle. The whole "pinch protection" is nice in theory but can still be buggy and when added to the gapping is just annoying. I wish that manual "crank" style windows were still available.

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 07:53 PM #24
      Here's how it appeared on my windshield. Look familiar?

Last edited by the beet; 05-14-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 07:56 PM #25
      Here's a little closer up. See, no impact chip...

26. 07-21-2012 06:17 PM #26
      Yes I too have experienced the windshield cracking right down the center from the top behind the rearview mirror. The dealer told me that it must have been a rock but there was definitely no point of impact and it cracked while parked in a parking lot at work. I took pictures of it and showed the dealer who in turn replaced the glass for free but charged me for installation. I told them I didn't think I should have to pay over $100 for a repair that was not my fault but they said there was no clear evidence that it was not caused by a rock so they were paying for the glass as a courtesy because my Beetle has less than 5,000 miles on it. So I agreed, begrudgingly but it just happened AGAIN. This time I had to pay for it. I am considering trading the car in after this issue plus the window issue that everyone is having and also my issue with the smart key detector not recognizing my keys and making it impossible to unlock the doors without pressing the button on the key fob. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have already had that "repaired" once and it keeps doing it intermittently, which is really annoying. I am unsatisfied with this car for the most part.

27. 07-21-2012 06:18 PM #27
      Also, that is EXACTLY what my crack looked like. Coincidence? I don't think so

Vehicles
      07-21-2012 08:28 PM #28
      [QUOTE=js1818;78300177]I told them I didn't think I should have to pay over $100 for a repair that was not my fault but they said there was no clear evidence that it was not caused by a rock so they were paying for the glass as a courtesy because my Beetle has less than 5,000 miles on it. So I agreed, begrudgingly but it just happened AGAIN. This time I had to pay for it. /QUOTE]

Either way, you shouldn't have to pay. That's what insurance is for. I just felt bad for that my insurance took care of it as I felt the the problem was not caused by an object hitting the windshield.

Additionally, if you are experiencing this issue, you should report it on the NHTSA Web site and also call VW Customer Care so we can get this on the radar.
      "Just look at those wheels!"

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      07-21-2012 08:49 PM #29
      I'm curious to know if the cracking windshield is in a car with the sunroof? There was such
      a long delay concerning cars ordered with sunroofs and I'm wondering if there are inherent
      structural roof problems associated with the early installed ones that could affect the
      windshield glass?

30. 07-22-2012 12:10 AM #30
      My brother has something called chassis ears, can find rattles fast. He has has used stethoscopes as well.

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 01:41 PM #31
      My Beetle has no rattling/noise issues and has no sun roof.

32. 07-22-2012 02:55 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by the beet View Post
      My Beetle has no rattling/noise issues and has no sun roof.
      Mine sounds like a bowling ball in the back, the dealer didn't find anything. Going back for round 2 soon.

33. 07-22-2012 03:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by js1818 View Post
      Yes I too have experienced the windshield cracking right down the center from the top behind the rearview mirror. The dealer told me that it must have been a rock but there was definitely no point of impact and it cracked while parked in a parking lot at work...

...So I agreed, begrudgingly but it just happened AGAIN. This time I had to pay for it...
      Your dealer doesn't know what they are doing. Obviously there is a problem that they did not properly address in the first repair or both the original and the replacement laminated glass had flaws. Two windshields cracking the same way in a short period of time with no signs of impact is not likely. Trade the car in if you think its necessary but regardless it time to go over their heads and contact VW directly.
      Last edited by VR6Now; 07-22-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Vehicles
      07-22-2012 04:06 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by MrsDave View Post
      Mine sounds like a bowling ball in the back, the dealer didn't find anything. Going back for round 2 soon.
      Bowling ball in the back sounds like the spare isn't fastened. Either that, or you have a dead body in the trunk.

35. 08-28-2012 09:10 PM #35
      I bought the 2012 beetle one month ago and had the same thing happen to my windshield. I took it to the dealer and called customer care. I was told by both by both the dealer and customer care that I was responsible for the windshield.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast