Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual to auto trans swap?

1. 01-21-2012 10:21 PM #1
      So, my girlfriend has a 2000 vw jetta with a 2.0l that is manual, she cant drive manual for her life. She also purchased an 99 vw jetta (new body) 2.0l that is auto. but the 99 is in crappy condition compared to her 2000. SO I want to know how to swap the auto from the 99 into the 2000. the manual will at one point go into the 99. But for now, I just want the auto to go into the 2000. What would I need to do? obv i have both FULL cars filled with all the parts I need. so just need a rundown of how to do this swap. thanks.

Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      01-21-2012 10:26 PM #2
      you really don't want to do that. The manual transmission in these cars is WAY more reliable. Not to sound rude, but she just needs to learn to drive 5 speed. It's not hard, just takes practice
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Bagged 24v
      01-21-2012 10:26 PM #3
      Be a good boyfriend and teach her how to drive...

01-21-2012 10:30 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanGLS View Post
      what I did..
      Save The Ring
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Around here they all "upgraded" to lifted pick-ups with cheesy wheels and a sticker bomb of energy drinks and fox racing. The highest mileage early 2000's truck they can buy, cheapest lift that makes it the tallest, clear or tinted tails, drop in HIDs, tinted windows, accent painted everything, stick on chrome, rebel flags (wtf?).

Vehicles
      '02 GTI
      01-21-2012 11:42 PM #5
      hate to be THAT guy, but if you are asking what you need to do for a swap, then you probably shouldn't be attempting it.
      If you can't take it, don't dish it.

Vehicles
      MKIV Jetta
      01-21-2012 11:45 PM #6
      ugh, if she has a brain she can learn to drive it in a few hours..
      Quote Originally Posted by dubinsincuwereindiapers View Post
      "Upgrading" to smaller wheels is like "upgrading" to a smaller penis..

Vehicles
      00 golf 13 sportwagen
      01-22-2012 01:02 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MattGTI1.8 View Post
      hate to be THAT guy, but if you are asking what you need to do for a swap, then you probably shouldn't be attempting it.
      this is so true for so many threads that pop up. If something is outside of my ability I will look into diy's and check some manuals and decide where it's for a shop or if I can do it.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 92 Honda Prelude Si JDM H22 Swapped
      01-22-2012 01:18 AM #8
      this whole thread is FAIL
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, GodSpeed Aluminum Radiator, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      03 GTI
      01-22-2012 01:32 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      What he said.
      Instagram: joshr_gti

Vehicles
      IY 20th #1998 - GLI 24v(sold)
      01-22-2012 01:34 AM #10
      my girlfriend comes with driving standard well as an option.

Vehicles
      20v 2dr Jetta wagon
      01-22-2012 02:14 AM #11
      You would rather swap a car from manual to auto instead of her learning how to drive properly?
      Automatic transmissions on VW's are sh*tty, and boring as hell like any other auto transmission.

Realistically, unless your gf is missing an arm or a leg, I suggest you teach her how to drive a stick.
      If she is unfortunately missing an arm or leg, please disregard my previous statements.

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Jetta, 2013 R-Line Beetle
      01-22-2012 03:07 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboWolfVdub View Post
      ugh, if she has a brain she can learn to drive it in a few hours..
      This. I understand if shes just getting frustrated and giving up, but it really isnt worth all that work. Give her a couple hours and she'll be good
      VOTE HERE to add a seller feedback section to the classifieds

Meet Crayola | IG: @mindy13vw | 8v Society #1
      Previous cars: 2012 TR GTI, 2013 TBM Jetta TDI, 2012 CW Beetle 2.0T, 2012 CW Jetta SE, 1989 Cabriolet

13. 01-22-2012 10:22 AM #13
      Ok, first things first. she can barely drive as it is. she cant drive stick. her manual trans also is almost gone, the syncros are ****ed n it wont shift into reverse, 1st or 2nd without alot of persuation.

Second, I am a UTI student, i dont deal with trans swaps like this. There is NO DIY manual or anything on how to do this, if you know of one, show me it. Otherwise don't say you shouldnt be doing this. This isn't some everyday maintenance thing. If it was RWD it'd be easier. ive never dealt with a FWD pile of crap. I work on trucks not cars. SO all i want is just a quick rundown of how to deal with this stupid german pile of rust. if all you have to contribute is "teach her to drive" or something else, then dont bother commenting.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      01-22-2012 10:30 AM #14
      I am no expert or anything and I am sure there are plenty people on here who came chime in with much more know-how but I think, assuming everything from both cars you have are interchangeable, that your main concern is going to be fitment of the little things like the shifter cables, the pedal assembly, etc. Also, I am not sure how it will work with the ECU, switching from auto to manual will throw a code which can be ignored or deleted with a VAG COM but the other way around is a mystery to me...will the ECU for the 2000 work with an auto tranny?

Vehicles
      1995 Powerstroke
      01-22-2012 10:32 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kevinr92 View Post
      Ok, first things first. she can barely drive as it is. she cant drive stick. her manual trans also is almost gone, the syncros are ****ed n it wont shift into reverse, 1st or 2nd without alot of persuation.

Second, I am a UTI student, i dont deal with trans swaps like this. There is NO DIY manual or anything on how to do this, if you know of one, show me it. Otherwise don't say you shouldnt be doing this. This isn't some everyday maintenance thing. If it was RWD it'd be easier. ive never dealt with a FWD pile of crap. I work on trucks not cars. SO all i want is just a quick rundown of how to deal with this stupid german pile of rust. if all you have to contribute is "teach her to drive" or something else, then dont bother commenting.
      German pile of rust? Now you're just being rude.

Vehicles
      Gli
      01-22-2012 10:39 AM #16
      i hope the op tries the swap and fails.

so you clearly hate vws yet you bought 2 good work.

and were all super jealous of you going to UTI. your gonna be set for life with that degree

Vehicles
      JTI/Jolf/GTI whatever you wanna call it.
      01-22-2012 10:47 AM #17
      UTI - urinary tract infection.

There is way more work involved in swapping the transmissions than just teaching her to drive stick. Plus it's not as costly. You will have to recode your ecu if I'm not mistaken and swap clusters. Its been done. Google kill the auto rabbit. It's a auto to manual swap. I have never heard of anyone trying to swap a manual for an auto tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
      Im not a ricer. Im lo mein.

18. Member Doctor Meat Does Housecalls's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Silver MK4 On Orange Rims, 2014 Jetta SE
      01-22-2012 11:13 AM #18
      If she can't drive as is, hang up her keys and tell her to take the bus.
      IlleststanceGangBang2011|TheThirdReich|DoctorMeatDoesHousecalls|ATEP|WTH:VolkswagenGF2011Survivor|YourPriusIsNotGreen|My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MurryEB View Post
      Doctor Meat is doing a housecall right now

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      01-22-2012 11:19 AM #19
      I didn't read all the comments so sorry if this has already been said but, if you really don't want the auto that bad I'm sure you could easily find a car that has an auto in it that the owner would LOVE to swap a 5 speed in. Meet up with him, straight swap. Your happy he's happy.
      2002 F21 GTI Sold
      2005 CTS-V Best decision I've made
      Contact Mike P. @ Stevebilt for anything you need.

20. 01-22-2012 11:27 AM #20
      lower it
      Floss Filthy

Quote Originally Posted by justrave View Post
      i wish calvin and jason would move so i could officially say that texas sucks.

21. 01-22-2012 11:44 AM #21
      Oh great another UTI student, guys check your local Jiffy Lube cause within the next 15 months he will be working there!! UTI is junk i would never say or brag that you go there total waste of your time and money. GOODLUCK with your career and your sweet tranny swap that makes no sense.

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      01-22-2012 11:48 AM #22
      if she wont drive the stick sell both cars and buy her an auto that's in better condition than the one you own, the swap would be a huge waste of time
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLX VR6, 2008 Jetta 2.5
      01-22-2012 11:58 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by dubluv2003 View Post
      UTI - urinary tract infection.
      Haha thats what I always think of when I see them on tv.
      Twisted Impressionz - Pittsburgh, PA
      Fried Rice? <---Progress Thread
      IG: @S_Henaghan

Vehicles
      e34 525i/5, mkiv cool white jetta (rip)
      01-22-2012 12:09 PM #24

teach her how to drive, lower it, bbs rs.
      R13 5
      ╚╬╬╝
      . 24

Vehicles
      '02 GTI 1.8t
      01-22-2012 12:09 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by bryanboley View Post
      you really don't want to do that. The manual transmission in these cars is WAY more reliable. Not to sound rude, but she just needs to learn to drive 5 speed. It's not hard, just takes practice
      my thoughts exactly
      ( . Y . ) boost gets you boobies naaaa'meaan

Instagram: itznj

PSU GTG: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...rsity-Park-GTG

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 **** Box GTI
      01-22-2012 12:11 PM #26
      Since this hasn't been posted yet and even though you're being a **** ass why don't you just follow an auto to manual swap in reverse idiot? Or you could just tell you're probably legally retarded girlfriend to learn to ****ing drive and teach her how to use a clutch.

Vehicles
      IY 20th #1998 - GLI 24v(sold)
      01-22-2012 12:15 PM #27

op is fail

there is no diy or manual to swap in an auto trans, you're right, probably because its a waste time and money.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLI VR6
      01-22-2012 12:15 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanGLS View Post

Vehicles
      2000 Volkswagen Jetta VR6 12v, 2011 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L 20V
      01-22-2012 12:22 PM #29
      Heres an idea sell both cars and either a) buy a bus pass or b) buy a car that she can drive. IMO you were dumb to buy a stick car when she cannot drive it....
      I DIG HOLES ON THE VW VORTEX MINECRAFT SERVER #52 VrAlliance
      Check Out European Auto Union On Facebook

Vehicles
      '04 R32, 20AE 1937, '03 2.0, '06 2.0
      01-22-2012 12:43 PM #30
      So, my girlfriend has a 2000 vw jetta with a 2.0l that is manual, she cant drive manual for her life. She also purchased an 99 vw jetta (new body) 2.0l that is auto. but the 99 is in crappy condition compared to her 2000. SO I want to know how to swap the auto from the 99 into the 2000. the manual will at one point go into the 99. But for now, I just want the auto to go into the 2000. What would I need to do? obv i have both FULL cars filled with all the parts I need. so just need a rundown of how to do this swap. thanks.
      Take a read through this thread and it's links. Try to find the one easiest to reverse.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...anual+swap+DIY

Patience with the vortex forums. There is some good info here and helpful people. But you need to know that many will try to change the direction you want to go, they have little tolerance for vw insults from an "outsider", and they'll always tell you go low... No matter how low you are.

Good luck. One of my VW's is a 2.0 golf. Tranny is flakey but it is our designated drivers ed mobile. It's staying auto.

Vehicles
      03 Wolfsburg Jetta
      01-22-2012 01:35 PM #31
      when i bought my vw I had driven a 5 speed maybe twice before. I had little to no idea on how to do it correctly. Guess how I learned? I drove it home from the guys house i bought it from. Stalled it once. Never looked back
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger7 View Post
      I usually just use placental tissue to affix my coilpacks when they get loose.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-etc.%29
      ^^Buy my sh!t up there^^

Vehicles
      04 Jetta GLS 1.8T, 2012 Tiguan 4Motion , 91 Nissan 240 SR20DET, 95 Toyota T100 EXT Cab 4x4
      01-22-2012 01:37 PM #32
      oh for **** sakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by dangerkart View Post
      (Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)
      instagram: @jaysleeves

Vehicles
      03 static BT Jetta, 2.slow jetta RIP
      02-05-2012 09:25 PM #33
      i got a question guys im in the middle of wiring everything for a auto to five speed swap. can i crank the motor over without the ecu plugged in. may be a stupid question.
      Because Racecar: CTS 5857 IE rods, custom 2.5 ic piping, Eurodyne maestro 7 870cc tune, HKS boost controller, Greddy turbo timer, tial bov, Bosch 044 w/ custom fuel lines, OBX intake manifold, Tial WG w/ Open dump, stripped interior, A/C delete, PS delete, and its bagged

Vehicles
      static 2002 1.8t gti
      02-05-2012 09:29 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      HOOD RAT STATUS | flickr | Instagram: ryr0 | homebase610

Vehicles
      2002 Vw Jolf
      02-05-2012 09:34 PM #35
      I want a stick.... and I have an auto golf......

Im probubly way to far away......

How much I want a 5 speed.....
      #Built Not Bought
      2.slow
      Jolf
      Quote Originally Posted by VegasJetta View Post
      Nitrous is like a smokin hot chick with AIDS and Herpes. You REALLY wanna hit it, but are afraid of the consequences...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast