Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passat in Snow?

1. 01-22-2012 04:42 PM #1
      Just considering getting the new passat.

Has anyone driven it yet in bad weather? It's not 4wd, but hows it do? I shouldn't need to drive through anything crazy, and I don't need awd, but I'd like a car that can make it through a few inches of snow without having to worry.

Vehicles
      99 Jetta Dsl;96 GTI;05 Jetta 1.8T;10 Jetta 2.5;11 Tiguan SEL;11 GTI;11 Golf TDI;12 Passat 3.6SEL
      01-22-2012 06:36 PM #2
      It is actually great! Usually on other cars would turn off ESC. But VW did a great job with the permanent system. Had a few inches last week and drove into work with no issues at all on unplowed roads. Only AWD would be better IMO.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 B7 Passat
      01-22-2012 07:08 PM #3
      Of course is not an AWD but i think that if you drive as you should in bad weather and you have the right tires the independent rear suspension, traction control, electronic brake disribution and electronic brake assist will take good care of you

4. 01-22-2012 08:28 PM #4
      6 inches of snow yesterday - had no problems - some areas not plowed at all

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC R-Line DSG
      01-22-2012 09:54 PM #5
      Are you guys using OEM all season tires or snow tires?

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      01-22-2012 10:20 PM #6
      The car is very good in the snow better that I thought it would be running the factory tires.

Dan D

Vehicles
      99 Jetta Dsl;96 GTI;05 Jetta 1.8T;10 Jetta 2.5;11 Tiguan SEL;11 GTI;11 Golf TDI;12 Passat 3.6SEL
      01-23-2012 09:00 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
      Are you guys using OEM all season tires or snow tires?
      OEM Bridgestones on mine.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE Roof/Nav/18s
      01-23-2012 12:53 PM #8
      OEM Bridgestones on mine. Car drove fine with acceleration, braking and turning typical of past large front drive sedans I have driven. I did a few slow starts on some minor inclines, not too bad and the traction control doesn't cut power completely and keeps you going.

I haven't driven it enough in the snow to compare against my past front wheel drive cars and my past rear wheel drive with snow tires. I will update when I get the chance.

I think better all seasons and definitely snow tires would help. If you check tirerack, our OEM tires are not the best rated (typical with OEM tires from most auto manufacturers).

9. 01-23-2012 07:14 PM #9
      Thanks for responses, sounds good. Particularly glad that the traction control doesn't totally cut out--the lack of a "traction off" button initially had me uneasy.

10. 01-23-2012 10:17 PM #10
      Hankooks as supplied

11. Junior Member
      01-23-2012 10:44 PM #11
      45 miles each way to work up here in Alaska.

Handles great, can't complain.

One of our Passat's is running Hakkapellita's and the other is running Blizzak's. I'll probably put Hakka's on both next season and hearing those studs is always comforting.
      PassatupNorth
      2012 TDI SEL DSG Platinum Grey Metallic
      2012 TDI SEL DSG Black
      Moose Dodger!

12. 01-24-2012 02:15 PM #12
      It handles great in the snow! I even tried yanking the E-Brake to get the rear end to slide out - the ESC wouldn't allow it to happen. I have been thoroughly impressed! Handles much better than my Maxima did. BTW, I have the OEM tires and a TDI SE 6M

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat TDI
      01-26-2012 07:02 PM #13
      Just had a 10inch snow storm a week ago, and the stock Hankooks handled all the unplowed roads very well. I was impressed with how it handled the snow, especially since I'm used to driving my Discovery.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Dodge 3500, 2012 TDI Passat (DSG)
      02-05-2012 09:11 PM #14
      I am running 215-65-16" General Altimax Arctic tires and they are great in snow and very quiet. I suspect that the tread wear won't be the greatest but short of having a 4x4 they certainly do the job and are much better in snow than the all seasons that came with the car.

Vehicles
      NMS Passat
      02-04-2014 08:42 PM #15
      I have been getting around okay with Michelin Primacy MXV4's... But having to stop on a slight incline still makes me feel a bit nervous
      It's not what you have; it's how you have it.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      B7 Passat TDI
      02-05-2014 10:53 AM #16
      The TDI's are especially good in this weather, the low end torque, allowing for higher gears at lower speed make it really good. Also with most of the weight over the drive wheels means the ice and snow doesn't have a chance

Although I do drive in winter with winter tyres myself, normal tyres will get you around, but emergency situations will show you otherwise, If you have consistent snow I would recommend winter tyres.
      Last edited by maceocc2; 02-05-2014 at 10:59 AM.

17. Senior Member christofambrosch's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat 3.6
      02-05-2014 10:58 AM #17
      If you knew what I drove through to take this photo, you'd know these are great.

22 | 365 by santorum, on Flickr

I like having the extra weight from the VR6 and DSG.
      "Antequam desilirent", RIP brothers.

Christof Ambrosch Photography

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      B7 Passat TDI
      02-05-2014 11:01 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by VR_Kraut View Post
      If you knew what I drove through to take this photo, you'd know these are great.

I like having the extra weight from the VR6 and DSG.
      LOL it's so low it's like a plow, Probably has the same power as well
      I'm sure your neighbors wait for you to drive out first to clear the road.

Pretty awesome pic by the way.

I got this one last year in Poland (pre-lowered):
      Last edited by maceocc2; 02-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.

19. Senior Member christofambrosch's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat 3.6
      02-05-2014 11:08 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by maceocc2 View Post
      LOL it's so low it's like a plow, Probably has the same power as well
      I'm sure your neighbors wait for you to drive out first to clear the road.
      Nope. Air suspension lets me drive normally.
      "Antequam desilirent", RIP brothers.

Christof Ambrosch Photography

Vehicles
      2012 Passat VR6
      02-05-2014 11:20 AM #20
      I'm on General Altimax Arctic tires as well and it's been great this winter, haven't had any issues driving through the several snow and ice storms we've had in the north east.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      B7 Passat TDI
      02-05-2014 11:22 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VR_Kraut View Post
      Nope. Air suspension lets me drive normally.
      Nice, Always wanted air suspension. Unfortunately two expensive in Ireland. For the system I wanted €1800 (~$2500).

I got Koni coilovers instead, which are good to be fair, just not as good as air.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI 4dr DSG w/ sunroof
      02-05-2014 05:09 PM #22
      My wife has a '12 Passat with Hankooks. They are the worst OEM tire I've ever driven. Over the summer I was driving on the highway going maybe 50-55mph and I was constantly hydroplaning. It was scary.

Today, it took my wife half an hour with the help of 5 guys(!) to get out of her parking spot. We only had a few inches of snow and ice. The Pirellis on my GTI may have been slightly worse in the snow, but at least they were great on dry and wet roads.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat SE w/ Sunroof and Nav | 1997 VW Jetta GLS w/ Sunroof
      02-05-2014 05:52 PM #23
      I always had trouble with tires on my '97 Jetta, especially on wet roads at highway speeds. A semi would go by, and you'd be white knuckling it to keep the car on the road. Over the 14 years / 300,000 miles / 25 states that I've driven the Jetta, I found the best solution was to keep the tires around 40 - 42 psi. But I agree with you that the Hankooks suck as sticking to the road.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg(sold)
      02-05-2014 06:27 PM #24
      We've had tons of snow here this winter and I also went up to Canada at Christmas (to get even more). I'm running Michelin X-Ice snow tires and haven't had any problems. Highly recommend snow tires to give yourself added traction.

Vehicles
      02-06-2014 11:23 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by KurtK View Post
      We've had tons of snow here this winter and I also went up to Canada at Christmas (to get even more). I'm running Michelin X-Ice snow tires and haven't had any problems. Highly recommend snow tires to give yourself added traction.
      I wouldn't get snow tires for a leased car living in Long Island where we get only a few snow storms per winter. This winter has been pretty rough though. My wife is ready to trade in her Passat after 19 months for an Outback. That's what she originally wanted, but went with the Passat SE to save a ton of money (lease payment is only $315/month with nothing out of pocket, including taxes, etc.). Plus, they took my wife's Jetta back 3 months early. It was our 3rd VW in 3 years, so my salesman hooked us up to help him make room for '13s. I'm sure the Passat would be better with better tires. Other than poor traction on wet and icy roads, we love the Passat.

Vehicles
      2014 VW Passat SE 1.8T
      02-06-2014 08:49 PM #26
      I live in MN and I think my Passat goes really well in the snow. I 'm always confident I can get to where I'm going safely. Mine has the Continental ContiProContact tires. They aren't snow tires for sure, but overall they work well. My last car had Continental snow tires and they were really good. I think I'll save up and get some for the Passat for next season.

Vehicles
      02-07-2014 02:29 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by tnourseMN427 View Post
      I live in MN and I think my Passat goes really well in the snow. I 'm always confident I can get to where I'm going safely. Mine has the Continental ContiProContact tires. They aren't snow tires for sure, but overall they work well. My last car had Continental snow tires and they were really good. I think I'll save up and get some for the Passat for next season.
      Wow, the folks in the Subaru Outback forum bash the ContiProContact tire. Interesting to hear that yours goes really well in the snow. I bought the Conti PureContact with EcoPlus for my '02 Camry. It's great on wet roads, but without traction control, it's not that great in the snow. I haven't gotten stuck in it yet though!

Vehicles
      2014 VW Passat SE 1.8T
      02-07-2014 06:00 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
      Wow, the folks in the Subaru Outback forum bash the ContiProContact tire. Interesting to hear that yours goes really well in the snow. I bought the Conti PureContact with EcoPlus for my '02 Camry. It's great on wet roads, but without traction control, it's not that great in the snow. I haven't gotten stuck in it yet though!
      Yeah, they go pretty good in the snow. I've had better and I've had lots worse. Being that they are brand new probably helps too.

Of course nothing goes better then a nice set of real snow tires. I'll probably save up and buy a set for next season. But overall the Conti's have been good and we've been having quite a Winter so far in MN!

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Passat 2.5 SE White with Black
      02-08-2014 01:17 AM #29
      Very Happy!

Stock Handcock tires. 2.5 SE. I was Leary on the fact that the car was built in the USA and all the "winter" German engineering was out the door. Although everyone is making fun of Atlanta with the fiasco of the last snow / ice, it was really bad. Lot's of Black Ice. I ventured out the second day and there was lot's of black ice just in my neighborhood. I was very pleased with the Passat's pull! Only once I felt a little scared and it was on a full turn to the left on Ice. It slid to the right just a little but instantly took composure after a few seconds. I live in the College Park / East Point area of Atlanta. Very hilly and winding roads. Of course you don't fully realize this until there is ice and snow. On the side of the road there were abandon Mercedes, Nissan's, Toyota's...you get the picture. This was on very hilly inclines and sharp turns in the roads. My Dear Passat pulled through without any issues. Keep in mind that the "traction control" was working overtime. However the engine kept it's lower RPM Groan and did as designed with the torque.
      The most impressive thing to me was pulling up my driveway. I have had a few Audi A6 and Passat's over the last 15 years. This was the first Passat / Audi that I did not have to leave at the bottom the driveway! I was so impressed. As so my neighbors. I have a very sharp incline driveway that drives up about 70+ feet from street level. It pulled right up with no issues!!!!
      I am happy.
      Peace.
      Brent

Vehicles
      02-10-2014 02:10 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by BrentVWAudi View Post
      Very Happy!

Stock Handcock tires. 2.5 SE. I was Leary on the fact that the car was built in the USA and all the "winter" German engineering was out the door. Although everyone is making fun of Atlanta with the fiasco of the last snow / ice, it was really bad. Lot's of Black Ice. I ventured out the second day and there was lot's of black ice just in my neighborhood. I was very pleased with the Passat's pull! Only once I felt a little scared and it was on a full turn to the left on Ice. It slid to the right just a little but instantly took composure after a few seconds. I live in the College Park / East Point area of Atlanta. Very hilly and winding roads. Of course you don't fully realize this until there is ice and snow. On the side of the road there were abandon Mercedes, Nissan's, Toyota's...you get the picture. This was on very hilly inclines and sharp turns in the roads. My Dear Passat pulled through without any issues. Keep in mind that the "traction control" was working overtime. However the engine kept it's lower RPM Groan and did as designed with the torque.
      The most impressive thing to me was pulling up my driveway. I have had a few Audi A6 and Passat's over the last 15 years. This was the first Passat / Audi that I did not have to leave at the bottom the driveway! I was so impressed. As so my neighbors. I have a very sharp incline driveway that drives up about 70+ feet from street level. It pulled right up with no issues!!!!
      I am happy.
      Peace.
      Brent
      Yes, it's amazing what traction control can do. My ContiPureContact tires (on my '02 Camry) are far superior than the stock Hancooks, but once my tires start spinning, they don't stop unless I take pressure off the throttle. The Passat is much better in that regard.

31. 02-10-2014 03:04 PM #31
      I'm on the stock tires for the 2.5 S manual and this is it's 2nd winter with no issues. I've driven with 2-4 inches of snow on the roads and you're not going to be flying through them but it's not hard at all to get around.

Vehicles
      02-15-2014 07:28 PM #32
      My wife has a '12 Passat with Hankooks. They are the worst OEM tire I've ever driven. Over the summer I was driving on the highway going maybe 50-55mph and I was constantly hydroplaning. It was scary.

Today, it took my wife half an hour with the help of 5 guys(!) to get out of her parking spot. We only had a few inches of snow and ice. The Pirellis on my GTI may have been slightly worse in the snow, but at least they were great on dry and wet roads.
      As an update, we took the Passat in today. The alignment was WAY off and the outside shoulder blocks were wearing abnormally fast. We also had the 20k service to get the free tire rotation. The tires seemed much better.

33. 02-16-2014 01:18 PM #33
      My '13 TDI SE with stock Hankooks is totally useless in the snow. Luckily, we had my wife's Suburban to depend on. Being in Virginia, I am finding it hard to justify winter only tires, but if I had to depend on getting around with the Passat, I think it would be mandatory. FWIW, my tires have 26k miles on them today. My plan is to get a good set of replacement tires this spring, and see how it goes next winter. If I still have trouble, I'll get a set of dedicated tires and put them on when snow is called for. That should save on excess wear of the tires, given our moderate weather (most of the time).

34. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL Premium and 2013 Jetta S
      02-16-2014 01:51 PM #34
      I wouldn't get snow tires for a leased car living in Long Island where we get only a few snow storms per winter. This winter has been pretty rough though. My wife is ready to trade in her Passat after 19 months for an Outback. That's what she originally wanted, but went with the Passat SE to save a ton of money (lease payment is only $315/month with nothing out of pocket, including taxes, etc.). Plus, they took my wife's Jetta back 3 months early. It was our 3rd VW in 3 years, so my salesman hooked us up to help him make room for '13s. I'm sure the Passat would be better with better tires. Other than poor traction on wet and icy roads, we love the Passat.
      I'm also a Long Islander, and I've never had snow tires on any of my cars since winters are usually not that bad here. This year has been unusually brutal, however I haven't had any problems getting around in our 2012 Passat. I do miss my 2007 Audi A4 Quattro though which was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy. I had complete confidence in bad weather in the A4.

The Passat has the stock Continental ContiProContact tires, as does my daughter's 2013 Jetta. I also put a set on my son's 2003 Altima in October. No complaints at all about the ContiProContacts. They were also standard issue on my old A4.

35. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
      02-16-2014 06:11 PM #35
      Coming from an AWD Audi I ended up buying a set of 17" wheels with Continental snows and the car is great in the snow. I am in northern Ohio and we get a decent amount during winter so it really depends upon where you are and how much you generally get to help you decide whether to get snow tires or not. If you do purchase a Passat just make sure it doesn't have the Hankooks, they are awful tires. If the car you are looking at has them ask the dealer to swap them with another car with the Continentals or Bridgestones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast