Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Shop Dogs

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-23-2012 12:27 PM #1
      Moving into a new house with a new shop space and looking to get myself a dog to hang out while I work. Needs to be smart enough to not think G12 is Kool-Aid or power steering fluid is melted popsicle.

Post up what you have and what you like most about em, also anything you feel is a reason to NOT get that type of dog. Help me decide. So far I'm liking the Alaskan Malamutes. A friend of mine had 2 different ones in an office space at his old job and they're pretty chill.

2. Member
      01-23-2012 01:45 PM #2
      Aussie Cattle, super smart.......maybe too smart

Vehicles
      1996 Chevy C1500, a little black german rocketship
      01-23-2012 02:34 PM #3
      brindle boxer man all the way
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      MRVW00 wasn't always gay. He stumbled upon the nastiest of vag's and turned the corner from Succubus Lane onto Fabulous Avenue.
      Quote Originally Posted by butterface View Post
      Girls I like suck in bed. I prefer angry vicious hate ****ing. Is it ok to have a GF I like and one or two I hate?

4. 01-23-2012 04:36 PM #4
      Doesn't matter what dog, if their curious enough they will drink/taste irregardless. So, don't get a dog and expect them to generalize with things that may be harmful/toxic to them. You would just need to be proactive about having those types of things laying around in reach of the pup.

Are you planning to get an adult dog or puppy?

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-23-2012 04:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      Doesn't matter what dog, if their curious enough they will drink/taste irregardless. So, don't get a dog and expect them to generalize with things that may be harmful/toxic to them. You would just need to be proactive about having those types of things laying around in reach of the pup.

Are you planning to get an adult dog or puppy?
      Yea I was just being funny. Obv I will be keeping an eye on him.

Probably getting a puppy, so it'd be awhile before I introduce it to the garage atmosphere.

6. 01-23-2012 05:35 PM #6
      Just making sure.

I would suggest a medium/large dog. Around a shop the last thing you need is a toy poodle (or similar) choking on a zip tie or breaking their toes. A larger type dog will be more resilient to passing foreign objects and some toxins.

Have you owned a dog before? I would almost focus on defining a dog that you would want as a companion regardless of the setting and making the shop setting a secondary thought.

EDIT: I would suggest looking into a rescue too, before thinking about purchasing.
      Last edited by STOICH; 01-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Vehicles
      81 rabbit, 04 gli b5 s4 avant
      01-25-2012 12:14 PM #7
      agree with above post good luck with your search.

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-25-2012 12:24 PM #8
      Yea I feel ya. Never owned a dog, but always loved everyone else's I've come to meet. It's hard for me to say "a husky is so me" or "a great dane will be my best friend". I like alot of breeds, so really my goal in this post was to figure out which to steer away from and which would qualify for potentials. I feel like the more relaxed the demeanor of a particular breed, the better choice it'll be to have around the shop environment. Less likely to get himself into something he shouldn't be getting into, easier to train and teach to stay away from certain things, etc.

9. 01-25-2012 01:03 PM #9
      Since this is your first dog, just keep the whole shop deal in the back of your head, but don't dismiss it, since (as you said) you'd like a dog who's temper and behavior is more acceptable for a shop environment. In the grand scheme of things, a lot of dogs can be 'shop dogs' once they get accustom to the surrounding.

You've mentioned "Husky" and Malamutes. Both, although they look somewhat the same, are really different in temperament and behavior. The latter tend to be more favorable for a family-type dog. I don't think a Husky-type dog would be a good first dog. Both are born to run, so they are very active and will require a decent amount of physical and metal exercise.

To sum up what I think you are looking for: Independent, even temperament, reserved energy and intelligent.

A couple ideas that come to my mind to consider:

- Lab mixes / medium size mixes in general
      - Molosser breeds
      - Rhodesian Ridgeback

To be honest, mixes tend to be great all-around dogs, so don't get caught up in purebreds. It's great for research so if you know the mix, you can derive some educational guesses about their behavior and temperament, but keep the door open for mixes (which seem to populate a lot of shelters).

Before I moved into the purebred scene I spent months researching and reading books before deciding on what breed I wanted. And that's only the half of it. Then you have to go out and find a reputable breeder, which can be a process of it's own.

Research, go visit shelters, talk with people that have/know dogs, don't rush and don't get one purely base on looks and you should be good.

Vehicles
      90 Quattro, a4 Quattro, 87 Cabriolet TD
      02-04-2012 07:24 PM #10
      Very good advice ^^

Another thing to consider is hair. Huskies and Malamutes are both prodigious shedders with very thick undercoats. In a shop environment, grease and oil are going to be difficult to keep out of all that hair.

Like the above poster said, research, research, and then research some more. Good luck!
      Quote Originally Posted by -DWM- View Post
      Wear a radiator next time.
      Quote Originally Posted by VegasJetta View Post
      Don't feel bad, I can't math either.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 Jeep Liberty sport & '13 fusion ecoboost
      02-05-2012 11:06 PM #11
      I would recommend a female english mastiff.. all the way. They don't get absolutely huge, which is why i say a female over a male. Unless you want a 220 lbs dog. You can get them from rescues. They have amazing personalities. You can't help but smile at their faces. Short coats, virtually no shedding. Easy to maintain, and you certainly won't have people looking to rob you.

13 weeks old-28 lbs

2 years old- 147 lbs
      I'll take my Koenigsegg Agera R anyway they want to give it to me. It can be pink, covered in 'Hello Kitto' livery and have a plate that reads 'I SUCK IT" and I'd still drive it with pride....

12. 02-05-2012 11:27 PM #12
      Aussie Cattle, super smart.......maybe too smart
      brindle boxer man all the way
      Funny these were the first two. I have a dog that is half of both of these, she is one of the smartest, sweetest dogs I've ever had/known. Stays by my hip almost all the time and have never had an issue with her running off.

Vehicles
      2001 225q
      02-07-2012 10:44 PM #13
      Catahoula! I've got three dogs now, a shepherd mix, a rhodesian, and the catahoula. He's just over a year old now, and he is trained to get beer/soda out of "his" shelf in the door of the fridge. He loves people, takes well to training, and is super smart. Plus they were bred to hunt so they maybe more likely not to run and hide/bolt when it gets loud in the shop.

Pup:

Now (in his fort):

Tigers
      Red Wings

14. 02-08-2012 03:44 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by guppy3488 View Post
      He's just over a year old now, and he is trained to get beer/soda out of "his" shelf in the door of the fridge. [/IMG]
      This is going to be one of the first advanced commands I want to train my pup. Could you list the stages you trained and how you tied it all together? Or did you even have to do stage out the command?

Something complex like this, I feel my stubborn Corsi might be a bit slower at it, so I'm trying to plan out how to properly stage it.

Vehicles
      2001 225q
      02-08-2012 04:06 PM #15
      This is going to be one of the first advanced commands I want to train my pup. Could you list the stages you trained and how you tied it all together? Or did you even have to do stage out the command?

Something complex like this, I feel my stubborn Corsi might be a bit slower at it, so I'm trying to plan out how to properly stage it.
      Yeah, Taz is in love with a orange and blue tennis ball and he loves tug of war so it was pretty easy, the only difficult part was getting him to close the door, and then after a few months he realized there was food in there and at thanksgiving time he helped himself to some turkey. But usually everything is in tupperware or a container so he doesn't bother it.

I followed this guide:http://www.wikihow.com/Teach-Your-Dog-to-Get-a-Beer

We started with his tug of war rope on the handle. Then modified the next few steps by putting his tennis ball in the fridge instead of going for broke with a beer can. Then we started playing fetch with a beer can full of treats in the yard. We also cleared out the bottom shelf in the door of the fridge and made it "his". Put some treats and then the cans in there. All-in-all it took like 3 weeks of working for 10 minutes or so a night. I am currently working on him to bring me Bell's beer bottles and everyone else Bud Light cans.
      Tigers
      Red Wings

16. 02-08-2012 04:25 PM #16
      Awesome! I haven't had a chance to do much research, so this kind of sparked my interested in getting the ball rolling.

Does your pup have any issues with glass bottles or do you just have cans?

Vehicles
      2001 225q
      02-08-2012 04:33 PM #17
      Awesome! I haven't had a chance to do much research, so this kind of sparked my interested in getting the ball rolling.

Does your pup have any issues with glass bottles or do you just have cans?
      Nope, he carries both around no problem. Goodluck, you can PM with with an questions when you starting working with your dog, but I'm no trainer lol
      Tigers
      Red Wings

18. 02-08-2012 04:52 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by guppy3488 View Post
      Nope, he carries both around no problem. Goodluck, you can PM with with an questions when you starting working with your dog, but I'm no trainer lol
      Sounds good - I'll keep you in mind. Thanks

19. 02-08-2012 07:25 PM #19
      my shop dog.

(shiba inu)
      he's never even seemed interested in coolant or anything else. FWIW G12 has a bittering agent in it.

he's also pretty easy to keep clean. combs out pretty easy, doesn't like to step in anything that might stick to his paws (and won't get into puddles, hates getting wet kinda like a cat)

he's been with me in my shop since he was 10 weeks old. since this breed is fairly skiddish he doesn't bother with customers too much other then to come in and look at them, then go back to what he's doing.. usually looking out the window for cats to bark at.

I should add, they are pretty difficult to train, you gotta be THE MASTER, or they will win. they also don't like doing stupid human tricks... sit, stay, laydown, come here and shut up are about all he knows.
      Last edited by dj age one; 02-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Vehicles
      '11 WRX
      02-08-2012 08:24 PM #20
      Both are born to run, so they are very active and will require a decent amount of physical and metal exercise.
      In other words, not really a chill dog that's going to just hang out at a shop if you don't get it a lot of exercise as well.

I say just go to the local shelters. Find a 2-3 year old dog with the temperament you're after and take it home.

03-23-2012 09:59 AM #21
      my 10month old now, had him since 9wks

Not enough time in the day.

22. 03-25-2012 01:39 PM #22
      Although I have always had Australian Shepherds and I love them to death I have always wanted a fat little bulldog to lay around the house and garage with me.

03-27-2012 10:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by maniakmax1788 View Post
      my 10month old now, had him since 9wks

That is a great looking GSD

03-27-2012 10:56 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Bustov View Post
      That is a great looking GSD
      Thanks! He gets a lot of compliments. I feel bad for the troopers that pull me over and have to deal with the 85lbs GSD in the back seat growling and barking He likes to act tough but hes a big baby. He is still a puppy and a huge PITA, i wouldn't trade him for anything .
      Not enough time in the day.