Have you done your motor mounts yet? if not i suggest you locate a dial indicator to time your IP after you reassemble everything. if you have, good on ya
I havent yet. I'm waiting on the new pump from giles to be built, then I will tackle the mounts with a new VC gasket, timing belt and timing the engine/pump. I've never done it so I've been reading as much as i can on it.
Hopefully sometime tomorrow I can go about checking my hazard switch. I was thumbing through my bentley and found the troubleshooting portion. Hopefully this will get rid of my woes.
Last edited by Charcoal_Grey; 01-31-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Mailman brought me a GAP package and a MK1autohaus package.
Tie rods and boot kit
lower steering column bearing
control arm bushings
Hopefully I will be able to get this in this weekend. Today was the 1st Marine Division's anniversary so I got to work at 0530 and I just say down back in my room. Ugh. Looooong day. and I forgot to order a heater switch. so I will have to wait for that before I see if my blower motor will work. ugh
Put the new lights in. Idk if I'll be driving tonight, but It really cleans up the front of the car. I need to get som new chrome to go around the lights since mine is pretty rough, but overall I really like the fact that they are clean instead of old looking
I might put the blower motor in today, although there really isnt a reason since I don't have a swich. the rest, who knows. Idk if i'll have off this weekend.
Finally put the blower motor in. In the process broke the tabs off on the acces panel for the heater core. :/ but on a good note I have heat now. I found a 4 speed switch in a junkyard but I need a 3. I'll have to get one from GAP.
New control arms in the mail.
nice work dude. we are travelling down the same road at the same time. I don't have a build thread on vortex but in your spare time you can read up here. keep it up!
75-79 got the 1.5, 80-85.5 got the 1.6 mech, 85.5-92 got the 1.6 hydro.
81 was the changeover year for 11mm to 12mm head bolts.
Also I can see a shop charging $425 for the mount and labor to do passenger side mount by itself.. Lets be real here, there is quite a bit of work involved with doing the passenger side motor mount.
Pump needs to come off, motor needs to be supported, and the bolt for the mount taken out. Mount pressed out and in, and then everything has to go back together and even possibly come back apart if they don't get it lined up right as the belt may track. Unless they are a diesel specific shop, this may be a job that could take a while.
I personally feel I could do it in 4 hours or less in my driveway.. $425 is a little high.. maybe $350.
well the pump needs to come off to do the passenger mount and it needs to be retimed when it goes back together.
When i said i could do it in less than four hours. I meant the passenger mount by itself. not including the other three.
my next big job other than headliner is to rebuild the doors. it's amazing how much road noise is coming from there.
i dont remember replying but everytime i see this
i just want to tell you that it is factory stock
the lip of the fabric is supposed to go under the windshield seal and the other side under the inner door seal
my 81 has this fabric also and the roof has bare cardboard all the fabric has been totally torn off
i often find myself picking at the fabric and ripping it off
* strip it down to just the frame and clean it inside and out
* replace all glass seals
* replace all scrub seals
* replace primary door seal
* reinstall window regulator, make sure everything is nice and tight
* clean/rebuild door latches
* add rust proofing/sound deadening as desired
* fab up new moisture barriers
etc etc. obviously, you'd replace any crappy fasteners as well, whatnot.
you'll be amazed at how much nicer this kind of work will make your car. trust me. the best mods are those that nobody notices.
moogie on ebay has full door kits
I will be doing this to my truck. I've already done about 1/2 it to each door already (cleanup, new moisture barriers, tighten it all up) and even this made a difference.
woo thats pricey. I'm sure it will help though, Idk if I'd be able to go at it in one kit, but yea it seems like a good idea to do that thanks for the advice.
Caddy pan is here, but battalion mail clerk went on leave.....and his replacement likes to leave early.
I would do the pump yourself. Save some money, get some satisfaction that you did it, and it's easy. As for bleeding the system check out my thread since I had a system full of air and just follow the steps and she'll be good to go
Real name is Matysik not Matt or any other thing you guys conjure up
Yea I'm doing it myself. Ill figure it out with the help of some friends.
caddy pan came in
along with new turn signals for the front bumper, and control arms in the mail.
also i got some speakers and a small 4 channel amp to make a little sound system I can hook right up into my Iphone. It consists of 2 6x9s with enclosures, a 4 channel amp and one 4x6 for the dash speaker. (which I have one for sale if anyone wants one )
I need to have more time. I am just hoarding parts in my room as of now. I feel unaccomplished. haha