The Mk5 Bentley manual doesn't give the correct procedure for bumper cover removal. You do not need to remove any of the trunk floor or side liners.
1. Access the tail lights from inside the trunk. There is a cover that pops off on the passenger side, and there is a flap on the driver side. This is the passenger side:
2. Disconnect the wiring harness.
3. Remove the three 16mm nuts from each tail light as seen in the photo above.
4. Without using tools, the lens (including bulbs) will slide out the rear of the opening, and there is a small ball-joint near the front corner that needs to be overcome:
5. This is what you should be holding in your hands:
6. On each side of the car in the wheel well behind the back tire remove the three T25 Torx screws. (the upper 2 are shown below):
7. On the passenger side only, remove two more T25 Torx screws on the bottom of the bumper cover:
8. Along the bottom of the bumper at the rear of the car, there are three T27 Torx bolts to remove:
9. In each taillight opening remove two more T27 screws holding the top of the bumper cover:
10. The bumper cover should easily slide off the rear of the car. There are bumper cover guides on each side of the car, so bring the bumper straight back until it "unclips" from the rear of the car. This is the end result: (note I had already reinstalled my tail lights and custom plate holder)
Here you can see the clips on which the bumper cover slides:
A week ago I was tapped VERY lightly in the rear, and since their insurance company was willing to give me $571 to repair the scuff, (but no rental car while repairs were made) I thought it easiest to just pull the cover and take to my favorite body shop. The actual bumper is still in place, and I don't feel that it is unsafe to drive without the cover.