Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View Poll Results: Crib-Sleeping or Co-Sleeping?

Voters
    35. You may not vote on this poll
    • Crib-Sleeping

23 65.71%
    • Co-Sleeping

7 20.00%
    • Other (please explain)

5 14.29%
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newborn Babies: Crib-Sleeping or Co-Sleeping?

1. Member
      01-30-2012 08:21 PM #26
      It's weird that we used a drop side crib and a sleep positioner thing like titleist and my kids are still around. We sure must have lucked out.

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      01-30-2012 08:52 PM #27
      Bassinet in room for 2 weeks then crib in own room - lil guy was a mover from day one. (hated being swaddled too). with 2nd one coming - same plan but we'll see. hopefully #2 doesn't move as much.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      01-30-2012 09:25 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      I think those have been recalled... http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2010/09...focation-risk/
      It was more like this: Wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      It's weird that we used a drop side crib and a sleep positioner thing like titleist and my kids are still around. We sure must have lucked out.
      Last edited by titleist1976; 01-30-2012 at 09:28 PM.

01-31-2012 06:25 AM #29
      One of our friends is dealing with the swaddling issue.
      We never had to deal with this. Our daughter was breaking out of the swaddle her first night in the hospital. We had one nurse tell us "you have to do it like this, see?" and not 20 minutes later we were laughing our asses off because she broke right out of that blanket.

5. Member
      01-31-2012 11:25 AM #30
      With our 4 month old son, we started swaddling him again and getting him accustomed to sleeping on his own. When he was a newborn, we used the swaddle very effectively and it worked like a charm. Eventually, we figured he was good and would be able to sleep without it so we did away with the swaddle at around 3 months or so. He gradually started getting more and more active, so much so that his arms and legs would flail around when he's trying to put himself to sleep, so alas, we've now gone back to helping him with a swaddle at night.
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

02-01-2012 02:05 PM #31
      We co-sleep with our first child and would do the same with any future children. While I can see the benefits of reclaiming our bedroom, i also really enjoy snuggling with my child as we sleep. So it's not like cosleeping is that much of a bear.

Also, who know if crying it out is bad for the kid:

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/cry...222400379.html

7. Member
      02-01-2012 03:20 PM #32
      How old is your kid?

Vehicles
      e320 wagon, anti-status symbol
      02-01-2012 03:31 PM #33
      Both our children slept in a bassinet for about 4 weeks then moved on to a seperate room. Neither slept in our bed. The few times we have co-slept in hotels their little karate-noris chops and kicks did not make for a peacefull nights rest.
      "Never attribute to maliciousness that which can be attributed to stupidity."

02-02-2012 10:57 AM #34
      How old is your kid?
      3.5yo.

10. 02-02-2012 10:48 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by salsanacho View Post
      3.5yo.
      You still sleep in the same bed as your 3.5 year old child?
      Bowtie wearing, tattooed, Mini driver

Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Yeah, I've bypassed y'all and go straight to r/cars.

02-03-2012 11:16 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
      You still sleep in the same bed as your 3.5 year old child?
      Yup! it's great.

Vehicles
      Mk6 JSW TDI and Mk4 Jetta VR6
      02-03-2012 11:42 AM #37
      Our son slept in a bassinet until he was 6 weeks old next to our bed. A few times in the first 6 weeks I would have to hold him. He is adopted and came with a few issues so having him sleep on me helped soothe him, again I did this less than a handful of times. He went into his crib at 6 weeks and started sleeping through the night at about 12 weeks old. Even now that he is almost a year I don't like to sleep with him. My husband will sometimes take a nap with him and I tell him I don't want him to get use to it.
      Brewtus
      Forever you will be missed.
      Nov 26, 2004 - Feb 20, 2009

13. Member
      02-03-2012 04:03 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by salsanacho View Post
      3.5yo.
      That sounds very odd. Do you actually think this is a good thing, or do you do it because you like it?

02-04-2012 01:15 AM #39
      That sounds very odd. Do you actually think this is a good thing, or do you do it because you like it?
      Actually both, I'd say it's good for the kid and I enjoy it, so it's a no-brainer for me. While there are plenty of articles espousing the benefits of cosleeping, ultimately it just seems like a much more normal way of raising a child imo. Kids were designed to want to have their parents close to them, I see no reason to go against nature in that area. Folks here in the US tend to stress the whole "child independence" thing and I'm of the opinion that it should be child driven vs parent driven. Eventually, I'm pretty confident that my kid will want her own bed, I'm happy to let her work towards that on her own terms.

Vehicles
      '06 Rabbit '97 A6 Wagon
      02-05-2012 12:07 PM #40
      Personally I wish my girlfriend had our son crib-sleeping sooner because Co sleeping just is unsafe(i almost rolled over on him) and gets your child too attached to you.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      02-06-2012 05:05 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
      Just wondering what you guys did with your newborns as far as sleeping goes? I know there are very split opinions on this topic.
      Our first was in a bassinet near the bed for almost 11mos, then in the bed. The second one was mostly in the bed. It was MUCH easier on me with them sleeping in the bed and my wife even said she slept much better without the need to get up, go get them, breast feed in a chair, then go back to the bassinet, then get in bed.

It is my opinion that people that think "you'll never get them out of your bed" are weak willed. Newborns need human touch; their skin is their single largest sensory organ at that age.

Vehicles
      Ford & VW
      02-07-2012 10:18 AM #42
      You do realize that in many other countries around the world, this is quite a common practice right? In US however independence (for good or bad) is stressed very heavily from the get go and hence this.

18. Member
      02-07-2012 11:51 AM #43
      And? There are a lot of things practiced in the world that has no bearing on anything, so I don't get the point.

In the end, I couldn't care less what you do in your home and how you choose to raise your child. I think we have long ago shown that there are many schools of thought to everything. We do what we think is right and you do what you think is right.

The fact remains that I think it is very odd to have a child that is nearly preschool age still sleeping with you. Then again, we know freaky parents that still think you should breast feed a 2 year old.
      Last edited by Papa Dras; 02-07-2012 at 11:53 AM.

02-07-2012 07:00 PM #44
      Then again, we know freaky parents that still think you should breast feed a 2 year old.
      Actually, that sounds like a good set of parents to me.

20. Member
      02-07-2012 07:50 PM #45
      Well, of course it does. I just come from the school of thought that when the kid can ask for the tit, they are too old to be getting it.

02-08-2012 09:27 AM #46
      Well, of course it does. I just come from the school of thought that when the kid can ask for the tit, they are too old to be getting it.
      I come from the same school - even though I know that it represents a conflict of interest when I ask for them all the time.

Vehicles
      Ford & VW
      02-08-2012 10:33 PM #47
      And? There are a lot of things practiced in the world that has no bearing on anything, so I don't get the point.

In the end, I couldn't care less what you do in your home and how you choose to raise your child. I think we have long ago shown that there are many schools of thought to everything. We do what we think is right and you do what you think is right.

The fact remains that I think it is very odd to have a child that is nearly preschool age still sleeping with you. Then again, we know freaky parents that still think you should breast feed a 2 year old.
      Right and likewise nobody cares what you do either. Point is its not like your way is right or the other way is right. Both methods have worked just fine.

And yet you keep pushing your opinion as a "fact" that it is odd for a preschool kid to sleep with parents. Pretty narrow view there I say.

23. Member
      02-09-2012 09:06 AM #48
      Do you live in a box? My opinion is a widely believed one, I just happen to express it well, so I choose to. Also, there has never been any attempt to state this as "fact", but you are obviously hurt over my stance so you decided to try to make it appear that way for a better argument.

Go ahead and sleep with your preschool aged kids, it doesn't matter...for now.

Vehicles
      Ford & VW
      02-09-2012 10:55 AM #49
      Do you live in a box? My opinion is a widely believed one, I just happen to express it well, so I choose to. Also, there has never been any attempt to state this as "fact", but you are obviously hurt over my stance so you decided to try to make it appear that way for a better argument.
      You comments again just validates my point that you view things in only your "box" as widely viewed and have no clue how others may view (which BTW could very well be a more wider view). And this thread is about everybody's "opinion" the last time I checked.

Anyways this is a stalemate and no point in me commenting any more - especially if somebody has a preset view.

T

25. Member
      02-09-2012 10:57 AM #50
      and dot dot dot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast