Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Steering Wheel for the Track

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      01-25-2012 12:27 PM #1
      I track a Mk II GLi with the factory steering wheel.

I'd like to change to a proper steering wheel for the track. Are there any general rules when looking at a track steering wheel? I've seen they range in diameter. Is smaller better? Any other tips on buying a wheel?

Cheers,

FLi
      Last edited by 1FLiGLi; 01-25-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: wording

01-27-2012 09:20 AM #2
      I used the stock one for years, because it made manual rack + welded differential easier to handle.

Then I picked up a Longacre aluminum wheel aimed at short track stock cars for about $70 so that I could space it closer to the driver seat. I went that way because I could get one that was not tiny, and a little bit because no one uses them.
      Chris
      2007 GTI 16v, 4 door, 6sp (well really that one is Brandy's)
      2004.5 Passat Wagon 20v, 1.8t, 4mo, 5sp
      1986 GTI 8v road racer - DIYAutoTune.com

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      01-27-2012 10:21 AM #3
      Thanks for the input, chois. Appreciated.

FLi

Vehicles
      '00 GTI 1.8t, '05 Mazda6 Wagon V65M
      02-02-2012 01:16 PM #4
      I got a Sparco that is smaller in dia, but as FAT as i could get. The smaller diameter makes it feel more responsive.

If you and I happen to meet at SP for the PDX in March, you can check it out.

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      02-02-2012 02:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      I got a Sparco that is smaller in dia, but as FAT as i could get. The smaller diameter makes it feel more responsive.

If you and I happen to meet at SP for the PDX in March, you can check it out.
      Thanks, 2 doors. I plan to be at the PDX in March.

I've narrowed my search to these Sparco wheels - Naxos and Veloce. They are both 330mm, which is ~ 50mm smaller than the stock wheel I currently have. Just got to get over to OG to see them in person. Its hard to get a feeling for the thickness via the interwebs.

Cheers,

FLi

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 03:21 PM #6
      I don't know what mine is called, but its the thick suede covered one. Of course OG is where I got mine. Trying them out definitely helps.

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      02-02-2012 03:36 PM #7
      Naxos - http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-naxos-steering-wheel-3

Veloce - http://www.ogracing.com/sparco-veloce-steering-wheel

2 doors - Your wheel look like either of those?

FLi

Vehicles
      02-02-2012 04:06 PM #8
      No. Mine's the 383 Competition one.

9. 02-02-2012 11:41 PM #9
      You're over-thinking this as only an engineer can do

The only real decision factors are if you want hand-grips , thumb rest (aka thumb breakers) and diameter - aside from that, it's just a matter of asthetics unless you have a clearance issue (which I don't think you have given your relocated seat position). The only other consideration is the amount of "dish" you want - the OE wheel has a surprising amount of offset but this is usually compensated by using a flat wheel and a hub adapter (which you'll use regardless of the dish in the wheel). I had an older version of the Veloce in the Truckette (deep dish) and with the adapter, the offset was significant enough that I had to take my hands off the wheel to actuate the signals and wipers. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I can say that I never accidentally turned either on while driving in a "spirited" manner - of course I never drive in that manner but that's another story.

Of the Sparco line-up, I like the 383 Competition b/c it has expanded grips at the "incorrect" positions of 9 and 3. If you don't care for the hand grips, the 333 Competition is similar - both are 330mm diameter. I think I have a Lap2 (discontinued colour) in the MR2 and it makes a world of difference compared to the miserable Grant wheel it had when I purchased it.

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      02-03-2012 02:57 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
      You're over-thinking this as only an engineer can do

The only real decision factors are if you want hand-grips , thumb rest (aka thumb breakers) and diameter - aside from that, it's just a matter of asthetics unless you have a clearance issue (which I don't think you have given your relocated seat position). The only other consideration is the amount of "dish" you want - the OE wheel has a surprising amount of offset but this is usually compensated by using a flat wheel and a hub adapter (which you'll use regardless of the dish in the wheel). I had an older version of the Veloce in the Truckette (deep dish) and with the adapter, the offset was significant enough that I had to take my hands off the wheel to actuate the signals and wipers. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I can say that I never accidentally turned either on while driving in a "spirited" manner - of course I never drive in that manner but that's another story.

Of the Sparco line-up, I like the 383 Competition b/c it has expanded grips at the "incorrect" positions of 9 and 3. If you don't care for the hand grips, the 333 Competition is similar - both are 330mm diameter. I think I have a Lap2 (discontinued colour) in the MR2 and it makes a world of difference compared to the miserable Grant wheel it had when I purchased it.
      Ah, I was fine with just two variables - diameter and thickness. I believe YOU were the one that over complicated things by adding variables, such as dish and offset

Since I know everyone is awaiting conclusion to my decision, I went with the Naxos. We'll see how it feels when sitting in my garage making vrrrroooom, vrrrroooom sounds AND on the track.

Cheers,

FLi

PS - Nice Old Man Car (OMC), Yip. I see you did upgrade and now have a radio. It's technology great!?

11. 02-04-2012 09:21 AM #11
      Glad you made a decision on a wheel - it'll make a big difference over the OE version.

I love my German Camry - at a 47 mpg average, I can't help but smile. The radio was a "must" - I was running out of show-tunes to sing on my commute

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      02-08-2012 04:36 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by mgyip View Post
      Glad you made a decision on a wheel - it'll make a big difference over the OE version.

I love my German Camry - at a 47 mpg average, I can't help but smile. The radio was a "must" - I was running out of show-tunes to sing on my commute
      I bet it won't get 47 mpg on the track .

FLi

Vehicles
      2013 Ford Raptor, 84 H-Prod Scirocco, 88 Scirocco, 98 GTI
      02-26-2012 08:57 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 1FLiGLi View Post
      I bet it won't get 47 mpg on the track .

FLi
      if I could find a car that got 47 on the track that would be nice...

except the gas isn't the expensive part...2 days this weekend in my Evo and I took a good 20k of wear off the tires...