Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Turbo cover, what to do??

1. 01-25-2012 07:35 PM #1
      Ok guys I just want some input on how to make this compressor cover look good I started and now I dont know if I want to smooth it all or leave the tag or leave HOLSET and the tag??

What do you guys think? This will be on a CTS top mount manifold so you will see it and I want it to look mean when some snot knose kid talks sh!t when he is looking at it .

This is what it started as...

This is the finish im looking for, maybe powder coat it not sure yet.

And this is what I have so far, took a lot of the casting marks out of is and trying to make it as smooth as I can.

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC , TT 225QC , E39 540i, 9-3ss, B5 A4
      01-25-2012 08:23 PM #2
      Looks good, I would leave the Holset text, breaks up the housing a little. I always liked the bossed text in castings.

3. 01-25-2012 09:09 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DeckManDubs View Post
      Looks good, I would leave the Holset text, breaks up the housing a little. I always liked the bossed text in castings.
      Yeah I kinda like the holset text in the housing, still not sure if I wanna shave the data tag on there or not!

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC , TT 225QC , E39 540i, 9-3ss, B5 A4
      01-25-2012 09:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 20psi now View Post
      Yeah I kinda like the holset text in the housing, still not sure if I wanna shave the data tag on there or not!
      I would keep it, just in case you want to send it to them for a rebuild or sell it. Provides useful documentation.

Vehicles
      A German thing, and a not so German thing
      01-25-2012 09:43 PM #5
      Well since you started to smooth out the casting you will need to continue. Even if you get it powder coated you will notice the difference. I would take a die grinder and smooth the entire casting. Then have it powder coated some cool ass color, then grind off and polish the letters.

6. 01-26-2012 08:44 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by PLAYED TT View Post
      Well since you started to smooth out the casting you will need to continue. Even if you get it powder coated you will notice the difference. I would take a die grinder and smooth the entire casting. Then have it powder coated some cool ass color, then grind off and polish the letters.
      Haha played I know I have to finsh smoothing out the rest, just trying to find out if I should keep it as is and start on the BS work or grind the rest off. And what is some cool ass color?? "I'm thinking pink" or some type of red?!? Anythis is better then black and that's not to hate on warranty .

Vehicles
      01-26-2012 10:09 AM #7
      I would say something bright that pops. Like valve cover black and lime green turbo. Or something to that effect

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03 TT 225q
      01-26-2012 10:50 AM #8
      what about a polished look? or definitely polished letters on a color

Vehicles
      01-26-2012 11:59 AM #9
      That's what I'm saying powder coat it then polish the letters

10. 01-26-2012 12:12 PM #10
      Lol, nothing's better than black

But there are many different forms of black. I think it would look sexy as hell wet black/black chrome with polished letters. Would look amazing. Lose the badge, just don't lose it. Your gonna have a hard time getting it coated with it on.

11. 01-26-2012 12:32 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      Lol, nothing's better than black

But there are many different forms of black. I think it would look sexy as hell wet black/black chrome with polished letters. Would look amazing. Lose the badge, just don't lose it. Your gonna have a hard time getting it coated with it on.
      Haha well if I leave the holset and take the I'd plate off and polish the letters I think that would look TIT's, and black chrome is the color I'm basing every thing off of! Rim's, pipe work, valve cover and intake manifold with a 034 cover in raw form.

12. 01-26-2012 01:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 20psi now View Post
      Haha well if I leave the holset and take the I'd plate off and polish the letters I think that would look TIT's, and black chrome is the color I'm basing every thing off of! Rim's, pipe work, valve cover and intake manifold with a 034 cover in raw form.
      Dooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiT!!!

Black chrome looks amazing. Polished next to black chrome would be an amazing contrast. If your already coating everything in black, that makes it a no brainer.

BLACK SAN!

Vehicles
      2001 S256 BT Audi TT 225, 2006 V8 Touareg, 2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro, 2006 VW GLI
      01-27-2012 09:51 AM #13
      Black chrome would be very sexy

14. 01-27-2012 06:06 PM #14
      Well made some head way on it today at work, think im gonna leave the tag on there but im gonna take it off so when it get's coted i can epoxy it back in place and it will look semi stock there is a lot of work to be done but its taking shape!! More work will be done tonight and should have most of the big stuff out of the way, will post more pic's later on, also to day is a good day just sold my 16cm^2 exhaust housing and going to buy a rebuild kit for this bad boy and then I need to find me a BEP .63 housing!

This gonna take some time to knock down !!

And here is a shot next to its BIG brother S400..
      Last edited by 20psi now; 01-27-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 S256 BT Audi TT 225, 2006 V8 Touareg, 2005 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro, 2006 VW GLI
      01-27-2012 07:25 PM #15
      Keep at it man

16. 01-28-2012 01:22 PM #16
      Ok well last night busted the sanding block out and got it back in to a "round" shape. All I have left to do is the work the area's that I can't get to with tools by hand and it will be ready for blasting. Also would you guys say a "super chrome" really bight silver would look good? The engine bay is going to be black with some silver.