Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 17 of 17

    Thread: TDI Warm Up

    1. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2011
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      68
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI Premium w/ Nav & Appearance
      01-26-2012 07:08 AM #1
      So I'm curious with the TDI diesel engine if we are supposed to let the engine idle (warm up) prior to driving it or does it matter? If the engine should be warm prior to applying power what are the consequences of doing this?

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2011
      Location
      Austria - Wörthersee
      Posts
      101
      Vehicles
      Jetta MK4 + MK6
      01-26-2012 08:20 AM #2
      Hey,

      the older TDI´s should have been warm (oil-Temp. 70° Celsius), so the oil has his best ability to grease for the Turbo.

      By your new TDI this isn´t the problem, because the Electronic doesn´t take all the power u won´t. Everything is steered from the electronic, so u can drive without anything ;-)
      For sure u shouldn´t give the maximum power, when u´ve started, but after 1min u can drive "normal".

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Toronto, ON
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      2011 jetta tdi
      01-26-2012 12:58 PM #3
      just start and drive lightly no need for warm up periods on any cars. longer the car idle's longer it takes to warm up colder the cylinders stay. so you are doing more damage than good.

    4. Member pdt165's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2011
      Location
      Fl
      Posts
      499
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      01-26-2012 01:37 PM #4
      No need to wait on the TDI, just dont slam on it for a few minutes or few miles.
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

    5. 01-26-2012 01:38 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 1Afly View Post
      So I'm curious with the TDI diesel engine if we are supposed to let the engine idle (warm up) prior to driving it or does it matter? If the engine should be warm prior to applying power what are the consequences of doing this?
      I also have same question regarding my 1.2 TDI Polo MK5

      Quote Originally Posted by gruven_diesel View Post
      just start and drive lightly no need for warm up periods on any cars. longer the car idle's longer it takes to warm up colder the cylinders stay. so you are doing more damage than good.
      Are you sure? My habit is I start the car and wait for few seconds to a minute than I drive without accelerator for few minutes. I am still not convinced that we should avoid idle warm-up, could you please proved some link or authentic source of the info? I have searched many a times on the internet about TDI warm-up but all the materials leave me confused as one says we should warm-up by idling and other says we should avoid.

    6. Member pdt165's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2011
      Location
      Fl
      Posts
      499
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      01-26-2012 01:56 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by vwppjpr View Post
      I also have same question regarding my 1.2 TDI Polo MK5



      Are you sure? My habit is I start the car and wait for few seconds to a minute than I drive without accelerator for few minutes. I am still not convinced that we should avoid idle warm-up, could you please proved some link or authentic source of the info? I have searched many a times on the internet about TDI warm-up but all the materials leave me confused as one says we should warm-up by idling and other says we should avoid.
      Go here and read till your eyes hurt.
      http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25


      The reasoning is TDI's do not get warm while idleing. You can sit for a while, over 10 minues and not be at half of the operating temp. So just start it up and drive easy for a few minutes. If you just bought your TDI go read this link it is very helpful and important.

      http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2011
      Location
      Inver Grove Heights MN
      Posts
      489
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      01-26-2012 04:10 PM #7
      The reasoning is TDI's do not get warm while idleing. You can sit for a while, over 10 minues and not be at half of the operating temp. So just start it up and drive easy for a few minutes. If you just bought your TDI go read this link it is very helpful and important.

      False, When my car's coolant temp was at 1F, a 10 min warm up brought it up to 106. This morning 20F another 10 min warm up 132F. This afternoon 20-25 min idle 40F (bs with co-worker) 192F

    8. 01-27-2012 04:42 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
      The reasoning is TDI's do not get warm while idleing. You can sit for a while, over 10 minues and not be at half of the operating temp. So just start it up and drive easy for a few minutes. [/url]
      Actually problem is that I don't have a temperature gauge in my Polo, so there is no way to know when the engine properly gets warmed-up.


      Quote Originally Posted by gruven_diesel View Post
      just start and drive lightly no need for warm up periods on any cars. longer the car idle's longer it takes to warm up colder the cylinders stay. so you are doing more damage than good.
      This is the concerning point as if the car takes longer to get warm-p while engine is idle than its better to adopt a faster way of warming up which is start driving as soon as engine is started. But driving a car means more load to a non-warmed up and less-lubricated engine, which is more harmful, isn't it?
      Last edited by vwppjpr; 01-27-2012 at 04:49 AM.

    9. Member pdt165's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2011
      Location
      Fl
      Posts
      499
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      01-27-2012 08:24 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Fussgus View Post
      The reasoning is TDI's do not get warm while idleing. You can sit for a while, over 10 minues and not be at half of the operating temp. So just start it up and drive easy for a few minutes. If you just bought your TDI go read this link it is very helpful and important.

      False, When my car's coolant temp was at 1F, a 10 min warm up brought it up to 106. This morning 20F another 10 min warm up 132F. This afternoon 20-25 min idle 40F (bs with co-worker) 192F
      Fussgus you just proved my point. from 1 to 100 in 10 is just about half. granted it took 20-25 to get to full temp. Who in there right mind wants to sit that long unless you have a reason (like you did with your buddy).

      Talk about wasting fuel too.

      So yes you can get up to temp witjh a LONG wait. But according to the diesel gurus that have had them for a long time, pros etc... its not needed to wait and in some cases ideling to warm up can be detrimental to the engine.
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2011
      Location
      Inver Grove Heights MN
      Posts
      489
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      01-27-2012 05:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
      Fussgus you just proved my point. from 1 to 100 in 10 is just about half. granted it took 20-25 to get to full temp. Who in there right mind wants to sit that long unless you have a reason (like you did with your buddy).

      Talk about wasting fuel too.

      So yes you can get up to temp with a LONG wait. But according to the diesel gurus that have had them for a long time, pros etc... its not needed to wait and in some cases idling to warm up can be detrimental to the engine.
      Yes, true to an extent I proved your point but also don't forget it was a very cold morning here and if someone else has a 25F + day it will get way over half way within 10 min. I am definitely not arguing with you either, I don't know about you but I would guess that whole idling too long thing is a bit of a far stretched rare occurrence especially with these new engines?

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2011
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      507
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn w/ Nav
      01-27-2012 05:47 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Sternat View Post
      Hey,

      the older TDI´s should have been warm (oil-Temp. 70° Celsius), so the oil has his best ability to grease for the Turbo.

      By your new TDI this isn´t the problem, because the Electronic doesn´t take all the power u won´t. Everything is steered from the electronic, so u can drive without anything ;-)
      For sure u shouldn´t give the maximum power, when u´ve started, but after 1min u can drive "normal".

    12. Member pdt165's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2011
      Location
      Fl
      Posts
      499
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      01-28-2012 09:02 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Fussgus View Post
      Yes, true to an extent I proved your point but also don't forget it was a very cold morning here and if someone else has a 25F + day it will get way over half way within 10 min. I am definitely not arguing with you either, I don't know about you but I would guess that whole idling too long thing is a bit of a far stretched rare occurrence especially with these new engines?
      Here is some info that I have found, not arguing either just wanted to find my source. (i knew I read it somewhere just not sure where) It is from TDI CLub FAQ. Not sure who exactly wrote it but I would assume a rather reliable source.

      " Warm-up - Because the TDI engine is so efficient, it puts less heat into the cooling system than comparable gasoline engines. A TDI engine will not reach operating temperature by idling. There is no point starting the car a few minutes before you plan to use it in order to have a warm interior - it isn't going to happen. Heated seats are definitely a worthwhile option for those living in a cold climate!

      The best way to warm up a TDI engine is to start up and GO, after minimum essential warm-up. It's generally recommended to drive gently for the first few minutes, until the temperature gauge approaches the normal range. When done this way, the warm-up period is not too different from that of a gasoline engine.

      If one gets stuck in traffic with a cold engine, now there's a dilemma, because the engine won't generate enough heat to warm up. If this happens, one suggestion has been to introduce some electrical load to make the engine work a little harder, like the headlights, rear-window defroster, and heated seats if you have them."
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2011
      Location
      Inver Grove Heights MN
      Posts
      489
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      01-28-2012 01:03 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
      Here is some info that I have found, not arguing either just wanted to find my source. (i knew I read it somewhere just not sure where) It is from TDI CLub FAQ. Not sure who exactly wrote it but I would assume a rather reliable source.

      " Warm-up - Because the TDI engine is so efficient, it puts less heat into the cooling system than comparable gasoline engines. A TDI engine will not reach operating temperature by idling. There is no point starting the car a few minutes before you plan to use it in order to have a warm interior - it isn't going to happen. Heated seats are definitely a worthwhile option for those living in a cold climate!

      The best way to warm up a TDI engine is to start up and GO, after minimum essential warm-up. It's generally recommended to drive gently for the first few minutes, until the temperature gauge approaches the normal range. When done this way, the warm-up period is not too different from that of a gasoline engine.

      If one gets stuck in traffic with a cold engine, now there's a dilemma, because the engine won't generate enough heat to warm up. If this happens, one suggestion has been to introduce some electrical load to make the engine work a little harder, like the headlights, rear-window defroster, and heated seats if you have them."
      Yup I remember reading the whole entire thing about the TDI. I still think my car debunks that by somehow warming up like a normal car. BUT then again I never did state that in the morning I have Heated seats, fan at 2, rear defrost and sometimes mirror defrost on which may be the reason it warms up at all. Then again to disprove that, the time I let the car warm up for over 25 min nothing at all was on except the fan. Idk what to say.

    14. Member pdt165's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2011
      Location
      Fl
      Posts
      499
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      01-28-2012 03:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Fussgus View Post
      Yup I remember reading the whole entire thing about the TDI. I still think my car debunks that by somehow warming up like a normal car. BUT then again I never did state that in the morning I have Heated seats, fan at 2, rear defrost and sometimes mirror defrost on which may be the reason it warms up at all. Then again to disprove that, the time I let the car warm up for over 25 min nothing at all was on except the fan. Idk what to say.
      to each their own. People can read everything here and on other threads and do as they please. Obviously we enjoy the TDI
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2011
      Location
      Inver Grove Heights MN
      Posts
      489
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      01-28-2012 05:41 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
      to each their own. People can read everything here and on other threads and do as they please. Obviously we enjoy the TDI
      I'll have 2 to that.

    16. 01-29-2012 08:37 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
      The best way to warm up a TDI engine is to start up and GO, after minimum essential warm-up. It's generally recommended to drive gently for the first few minutes, until the temperature gauge approaches the normal range. When done this way, the warm-up period is not too different from that of a gasoline engine.
      Ok Convinced. But still can't rule out the necessity for idling the engine for few seconds (30-40 sec) so that it gets enough lubricated, isn't that?

      And how to know if someone like me doesn't has a temp gauge in his car? Please share if anyone knows the way to know when the engine has reached its optimum running temperature.

      I also encounter a situation everyday when I have to drive my car early in the morning to drop my child to the school which is not more than one kilometre away from my home, so I drive to the school, park the car, take child inside the school then come back and drive back to home. In this driving span I try not to let the turbo spool, and sometimes I try to drive it more than 4-5 kms while returning back, is it needed or I should just get back straight to home. Is that correct way? Is there more precautions which I should take care of?

      I am from India, so temperature in winters stays between 7-20 degree. In summers we have temperatures between 30-48 degree.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 14th, 2011
      Location
      Inver Grove Heights MN
      Posts
      489
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      01-29-2012 10:18 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwppjpr View Post
      Ok Convinced. But still can't rule out the necessity for idling the engine for few seconds (30-40 sec) so that it gets enough lubricated, isn't that?

      And how to know if someone like me doesn't has a temp gauge in his car? Please share if anyone knows the way to know when the engine has reached its optimum running temperature.

      I also encounter a situation everyday when I have to drive my car early in the morning to drop my child to the school which is not more than one kilometre away from my home, so I drive to the school, park the car, take child inside the school then come back and drive back to home. In this driving span I try not to let the turbo spool, and sometimes I try to drive it more than 4-5 kms while returning back, is it needed or I should just get back straight to home. Is that correct way? Is there more precautions which I should take care of?

      I am from India, so temperature in winters stays between 7-20 degree. In summers we have temperatures between 30-48 degree.
      I am certainly not going to spend the time converting all of your numbers but just drive the car like you would with any normal gas engine. Depending on how long you are driving it and the outside temp, Your car like mine will not get up to the temp where the thermostat will open if all you do is city drive. There is no way tell unless you pop the hood feel for the upper radiator hose to be hot.

      No matter how lightly you drive the turbo is going to spool up regardless. Don't drive out of your way to go back home. Go where you need to go.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •