Ive spent the last hour or so searching for Faq/how to/DIY on the subject. I found many individual questions with answers. But nothing i found had everything I needed to know in one place. Being an Engineer I do not like jumping into a project blind and figuring stuff out as I go. I would rather have a rock solid plan from day one and find solutions to unexpected problems as they occur. This Thread will be focusing on a swap into a MKII chassis, MKI and MKII may be similar but not exactly the same.
I have not yet completed this swap. It should be done fairly soon (once I get a list done and have the parts acquired.)
1. Transmition (see note 1)
2. Shifter box
3. Fly wheel (see note 2)
4. Clutch disk
5. Pressure plate
6. Pedal Cluster (see note 3)
7. Clutch master cylinder
8. Shift cables
9. 100mm drive axles (see note 4)
10.starter (see not 5)
1. the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder transmitions are not interchangeable.
2. From what I have found the o2o fly wheel is smaller then the one found in the o2a. As a result the clutch disc and pressure plate will need to be swapped out as well.
3. Some reading has suggested that the clutch cable from an EG generation honda civic can be paired with the the clutch actuator from a eurovan, This replaces the hydraulic clutch usually used with the o2a with a cable system. The cable system means that the stock pedal cluster can be retained and no holes will have to be drilled in the fire wall.
4. Depending on the year of your car it may or may not have 100mm axles. From what I have read, early 8V and diesels had 90mm (this means you MKI guys), while all 16V had 100mm along with the later model MKII diesel and 8V variants. This means MKI guys will need the drive axles from a 16V scirocco. MKII drivers will have to measure and either re-use there stock axles or purchase new axles of the correct size. I would suggest that the CV joints be rebuilt while the axles are removed from the car.
5. Although I couldnt find this in writing I believe that the o2a starter is not the same as the o2o, I believe this to be true because of the difference in flywheel diameter.
To come later today.
Please post any information you have on this swap, I would like this to become a useful resource. If such a thread already exists please ignore my ignorance and link me to it.