Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Lets get a 020 to 02a swap FAQ/DIY going

1. Banned
      01-26-2012 02:20 PM #1
      Ive spent the last hour or so searching for Faq/how to/DIY on the subject. I found many individual questions with answers. But nothing i found had everything I needed to know in one place. Being an Engineer I do not like jumping into a project blind and figuring stuff out as I go. I would rather have a rock solid plan from day one and find solutions to unexpected problems as they occur. This Thread will be focusing on a swap into a MKII chassis, MKI and MKII may be similar but not exactly the same.

I have not yet completed this swap. It should be done fairly soon (once I get a list done and have the parts acquired.)

Parts required:
      1. Transmition (see note 1)
      2. Shifter box
      3. Fly wheel (see note 2)
      4. Clutch disk
      5. Pressure plate
      6. Pedal Cluster (see note 3)
      7. Clutch master cylinder
      8. Shift cables
      9. 100mm drive axles (see note 4)
      10.starter (see not 5)

NOTES:
      1. the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder transmitions are not interchangeable.
      2. From what I have found the o2o fly wheel is smaller then the one found in the o2a. As a result the clutch disc and pressure plate will need to be swapped out as well.
      3. Some reading has suggested that the clutch cable from an EG generation honda civic can be paired with the the clutch actuator from a eurovan, This replaces the hydraulic clutch usually used with the o2a with a cable system. The cable system means that the stock pedal cluster can be retained and no holes will have to be drilled in the fire wall.
      4. Depending on the year of your car it may or may not have 100mm axles. From what I have read, early 8V and diesels had 90mm (this means you MKI guys), while all 16V had 100mm along with the later model MKII diesel and 8V variants. This means MKI guys will need the drive axles from a 16V scirocco. MKII drivers will have to measure and either re-use there stock axles or purchase new axles of the correct size. I would suggest that the CV joints be rebuilt while the axles are removed from the car.
      5. Although I couldnt find this in writing I believe that the o2a starter is not the same as the o2o, I believe this to be true because of the difference in flywheel diameter.

Instructions:
      To come later today.

Please post any information you have on this swap, I would like this to become a useful resource. If such a thread already exists please ignore my ignorance and link me to it.

Vehicles
      84 VW Scirocco
      04-06-2012 02:44 AM #2
      Mk1 owners will also have to purchase or make new Transmission mounts due to the 020 and 02a mounts do not pair nls make them cost about $299.00

you want to make sure that if you have a 4 cyl engine you use a 02a from a corrado G60 1.8 SC or Passat 16v

my choice was to use the flywheel off a g60 with the matching clutch and preassure plate

the starter will need to be once again g60 or passat

if doing the clitch cable set up then yes the Honda EG civic will work

if using hydraulic the slave and master cyl from donor g60 or passat will be needed

you will also need the shift tower from either car mentioned b4 and shift cables

you will anso need the pedal cluster from the g60 0r passat is dooing hydraulic

3. Member
      Vehicles
      E36 ///M3 + Mk2
      05-30-2012 03:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rockafellavw View Post
      Mk1 owners will also have to purchase or make new Transmission mounts due to the 020 and 02a mounts do not pair nls make them cost about $299.00

you want to make sure that if you have a 4 cyl engine you use a 02a from a corrado G60 1.8 SC or Passat 16v

my choice was to use the flywheel off a g60 with the matching clutch and preassure plate

the starter will need to be once again g60 or passat

if doing the clitch cable set up then yes the Honda EG civic will work

if using hydraulic the slave and master cyl from donor g60 or passat will be needed

you will also need the shift tower from either car mentioned b4 and shift cables

you will anso need the pedal cluster from the g60 0r passat is dooing hydraulic
      great info thx

ive got an 02a and shifter box with cables off a G60 corrado, can i use the pedal cluster, slave and master cylinder off a 95 passat gls 2.0 8v?

this is all going in my 92 GTI 16v btw
      Shinin’ like a mother****er BBS' blingin' Steve Erkle bought a ton... -Dolla