Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: BT Audi TT

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-27-2012 09:17 AM #1
      Well, Its been almost a year in the making, but everything is coming together and hopefully be done very soon. I started with a 2001 Audi TT 180hp front wheel drive car. The block and head were rebuilt professionally by local hot rod shop. The transmission was also rebuilt professionally with an LSD and TDI 5th gear. I am doing the rest of the work and labor to put it all back together. The engine and tranny were finished last august and are now in the car. Next week I will be ordering my SEM intake manifold and new fuel lines and the setup will be complete! The 1.8t was the ATC narrowband. I already have a wideband ecu (AWW) and wiring harness (AWP). The wb ecu has already been flashed by Gonzo with a 870cc MAF'd file and all deletes.

Block:
      82mm Wiseco pistons 8.5:1 c/r and Eagle rods- Engine builder took care of
      Race coated rod and main bearings (oversized) - Engine builder
      Polished and balanced crank
      IE Dowel Kit
      All ARP hardware- IE
      New IE oil and water pump (metal fins)
      IE manual timing belt kit- IE
      Victor Reinz gasket kit- IE
      Head was rebuilt to OE specs (sticking to small port and going with stainless valves)
      ECS Lw power steering pulley
      External Oil cooler
      Green top CTS- ECS
      034 Race mounts- 034motorsports
      NGK plugs- ECS
      Accessory belt for A/C delete- PAG
      Supertech Stainless exhaust valves

Transmission:
      Complete rebuild 02J 5-speed
      Wavetrac LSD (ARP bolt kit)- IE
      TDI 5th gear- used
      IE Shift fork
      Clutchmasters FX400 6-puck and lightweight flywheel (ARP bolts)- PAG
      Redline MT90 fluid- ECStuning

Turbo System:
      Pagparts Bottom mount manifold and downpipe-PAG
      Precision 5857SP Ball bearing- BMP20TH
      -3AN oil line with restrictor from PAG
      ECS Exhaust nuts and Nordlock washers- ECS
      HKS SSQV BOV- Previous build
      Tial 38mm WG- used
      Frozenboost AWIC kit (2.5" turbo to core, 3" from core to TB)-Frozenboost
      42dd MAP flange
      SEM Intake Manifold- CTS turbo
      034 Fuel Rail and FPR adapter- 034motorsports
      Walbro External Inline- previous build
      Racetronix 79lb injectors
      RS4 throttle body
      Apexi AVCR EBC (boost by gear FTW)- previous build
      Gonzo TUNING
      Autometer wideband, EGT, Boost, and Oil Press. gauges- used

Suspension:
      ST coilovers- HPAmotorsports
      USRT solid subframe bushings-USRT
      New brembo rotors and Hawk pads- MJMautohaus
      Tyrolsport brake stiffening kit-USRT
      Lightweight tubular LCA's-USRT
      Stainless Steel Brake lines- ECS
      All new poly swaybar bushings and steering rack

As of now, the motor is in the car. The suspension and brakes are finished (just have to tighten tie rods). The PAG bottom mount made it near impossible to fit a 4" to 3" 90degree reducer between the frame rails. There was a one inch lip the dug into the reducer. I pulled the motor again and took the cutter to the lip. After the lip was removed, I took the grinder to it to smooth out the edge where the fitting would sit. I initially wanted to keep the A/C, but since I am running the AWIC on the drivers side of the bay, the intake runs right where my A/C lines are at.. I removed the A/C stuff for now. I will make some new A/C lines, but after its running lol I have a couple questions/concerns I wanted to express as well.

-need a compressor housing o-ring for the turbo.. anyone know who carries these? -getting from PAG

-I am mounting the AWIC heat exchange in the A/C condensers spot. I have heard some concern for the TT's running hot, anyone have any opinions/suggestions? I was also considering a new (3 row) radiator to help with cooling. Is there anyone with any experience running an upgraded radiator on these cars?

-Initial start up- Priming the oil.. IIRC, I will need to unplug injectors; turn over with key for 30 seconds; plug in and fire up? Looking for a little more detail to make sure everything is sufficiently primed and ready to go.
      - unplugging injectors to cut fuel and then cranking over to prime.

E
      Last edited by seth_3515; 03-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.

2. Forum Sponsor AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-27-2012 09:50 AM #2
      Good to finally see progress on your build. I always wonder about TT builds as they are bit different. I normally use a 4" to 3.5" cobra for the T3 and even vbanded bottom mounts (the latter pulling the turbo farther away from the frame rail which makes fitting any silicone inlet a non-issue). I should've suggested it but didnt know exactly what you were doing. Good luck w/ it all
      Pag Parts
      Turbocharger Systems, OEM Parts / Fabrication
      Garrett / PTE / BW / TiAL / Clutchmasters / Southbend / Brute Con Rods / Wiseco / CP Pistons / Supertech / Ferrea / CatCams / Walbro / EV14 Injectors / Eurodyne Software / Much More... Pag Parts Facebook

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-27-2012 10:03 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by AL@PagParts.com View Post
      Good to finally see progress on your build. I always wonder about TT builds as they are bit different. I normally use a 4" to 3.5" cobra for the T3 and even vbanded bottom mounts (the latter pulling the turbo farther away from the frame rail which makes fitting any silicone inlet a non-issue). I should've suggested it but didnt know exactly what you were doing. Good luck w/ it all
      Thank you! I used the frozenboost reducer (probably coud have found a more compact one) since it was what I had and grinding the lip off took a whole 10 minutes I am really looking forward to getting this completed and have a working car again

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-27-2012 10:07 AM #4
      Also, do you guys carry the compressor housing o-ring for the 5857? I got a hold of precision and they said to use a vendor, but will sell one to me if I cant get one soon enough..

5. Forum Sponsor AL@PagParts.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      07 AUDI 2.0T 07 VW GTI
      01-27-2012 11:06 AM #5
      Sure, I have a garrett one. Should be the same
      Pag Parts
      Turbocharger Systems, OEM Parts / Fabrication
      Garrett / PTE / BW / TiAL / Clutchmasters / Southbend / Brute Con Rods / Wiseco / CP Pistons / Supertech / Ferrea / CatCams / Walbro / EV14 Injectors / Eurodyne Software / Much More... Pag Parts Facebook

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      01-27-2012 12:05 PM #6
      dope, build Also LOL @ Grass City
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-27-2012 06:05 PM #7
      Sure, I have a garrett one. Should be the same
      I'll be in touch with you soon.

-Tom- don't hate on the city

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta SE
      01-27-2012 07:05 PM #8
      can we get the pictures linked directly? i dont have a grasscity account

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-27-2012 08:22 PM #9
      finally got it pics working..

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4. 2001 Audi A4.
      01-28-2012 12:44 AM #10
      Unplug the injectors to prime the engine/turbo with oil. This will keep the injectors from spraying fuel into the cylinders and possibly washing down the cylinder walls while cranking to prime the engine with oil.
      "You know you have a bad idea when Ford guys are making fun of you."

Spice Rubs: Rick's Rubs

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-28-2012 05:36 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris164935 View Post
      Unplug the injectors to prime the engine/turbo with oil. This will keep the injectors from spraying fuel into the cylinders and possibly washing down the cylinder walls while cranking to prime the engine with oil.
      Thank you! I should have realized injectors instead of spark plugs.. Thanks though!

- ordered SEM this morning from CTS

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-28-2012 08:26 AM #12
      Well, I got paid today, but the USRT tubular control group buy ended a day or two ago.. I pm'd Scott so hopefully they will let me slip in on the group buy.. Fingers crossed!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-29-2012 08:54 AM #13
      Apexi avcr install-- few questions..

1) I have the Bentley manual and looked up the vss signal, rpm signal, and tps.
      - now, I know the vss can be pulled from the back of the cluster as well, but my main concern is the tps and rpm signal has me worried.. I started on this yesterday after working on the car all afternoon. The first issue, I spliced into the rpm sensor instead of signal then was going for a green/brown wire. Well, when you pull the tape off red looks an awful lot like brown when it's used as the trace on the covering.. Stopped here, wasn't going to eff anything else up til I slept on it.

2) in the wiring diagram index, I used the 2000-2001 standard equipment diagram. My method was to find the signals on the index and use the colored wire that is linked to J220(ECM) in the index. I'm not new to electricity, but these wiring diagrams aren't the best in my opinion. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! I'll post up pictures of my diagrams and the highlighted wires I think are correct.
      -get off work at 12 and will post them up then.

- I really didn't want to take a chance and use a random guide on here with wire colors.. I'm pretty meticulous and second guessed myself, so I have come to the tex for support
      Last edited by seth_3515; 01-29-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      01-29-2012 10:44 AM #14
      In to see how the gonzo bt file runs

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-29-2012 10:59 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      In to see how the gonzo bt file runs
      That makes two of us! I have The VagCom to run logs and try to remote tune. My goal is to get it running and get through the break-in period. Once that happens, I will get it on the dyno and let the real tuning begin

Vehicles
      BT Prius
      01-29-2012 09:18 PM #16
      those awic's are so gangster...

good luck with the remainder
      F23 Frankenturbo ll Bosch 550cc ll Eurodyne Maestro ll 034 Motorsports High Flow Exhaust Manifold ll Eurojet street FMIC ll Cooling Mist Dual Nozzle W/M ll 287whp, 290ft/lbs (18psi) ll stock bottom end ll
      http://www.frankenturbo.com/
      http://www.usrallyteam.com

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-30-2012 07:25 PM #17
      Well, I owe a huge thanks to Clay @ CTS for getting me an SEM manifold! It will be on its away along with a transition spacer and new injector inserts!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      01-30-2012 07:45 PM #18
      Battery talk-

Looking for a lightweight battery that will be relocated inside the cab behind the drivers seat. I am currently looking at Braille's line, but wanted to get some advice on CCA. I live in Oklahoma so its 110 degrees in the summer and <0 degrees during the winter. How many CCAs will reliable crank it over every morning?

19. Forum Sponsor Gonzo@GTS Performance's Avatar
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit 1.6D, 99.5 Jetta TDI, 02 GTI VR6, 00 Golf 1.8T, 01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T, 00 Jetta TDI
      01-31-2012 11:32 PM #19
      I was wondering why I haven't heard from you in a while. Can't wait till you have this setup running so we can get the tune dialed in
      Gonzo - Team Leader @ GONZOTUNING.com - Facebook! - 1-888-853-9703
      The Most Advanced Performance Software and Hardware for your VW/Audi - 1.8T, TDI, VR6, R32, 2.0T, TSI, TFSI, 2.7T
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      removal of the FrankenTurbo's actuator and replacement with a third-party's hardware voids the turbocharger's 2-year "warranty" [sic]

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-01-2012 08:29 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo@GonzoTuning View Post
      I was wondering why I haven't heard from you in a while. Can't wait till you have this setup running so we can get the tune dialed in
      Sorry man, been trying to get everything together with work and school as well :/

I shipped off my throttle body to FFE yesterday. Clay had a manifold but it was the 75mm flange, so Ed is gonna port it out and get it to work with his Hemi throttle body!! Thanks again guys!
      The new fuel lines, brake stiffening kit, subframe bushings, and Defcons will be here thursday.. THe care will be done then except for the intake manifold and routing the piping!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-01-2012 08:36 AM #21
      --Just a side story for those wanting the ST coilovers..

- I ordered the setup from HPA motorsports (great price too!). Unfortunately, the product code on the FWD was for AWD. The picture in this thread is actually the wrong rear struts. Now, I didnt put these on for a month or two after ordering, so I didnt find out til weeks later.. I called HPA and got a hold of Darrell. He worked with the supplier to get me new rear struts and had prepaid shipping so I could send them the wrong struts back to them! Everything was handled quickly and professionally.. I highly recommend HPA for the great customer service and communication

22. 02-01-2012 11:14 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by seth_3515 View Post
      Everything was handled quickly and professionally.. I highly recommend HPA for the great customer service and communication
      Hahahahahahaha, that won't always be the case. They still owe me a couple $k, still have my spec clutch, ignored their own warrenty, and dragged me along for over half a year that they had a custom clutch for me.

Vehicles
      04.5 PG GLI
      02-01-2012 02:40 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by seth_3515 View Post
      Well, I got paid today, but the USRT tubular control group buy ended a day or two ago.. I pm'd Scott so hopefully they will let me slip in on the group buy.. Fingers crossed!
      I know Scott said No, but check your pm. I think I have a solution
      Justin Im, Technical Sales
      US Rally Team
      www.facebook.com/usrallyteam
      AIM-jijust88
      Unitronic Chipped Authorized Dealer

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-01-2012 04:00 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Justin@USRT View Post
      I know Scott said No, but check your pm. I think I have a solution
      In Scott's defense he was trying to be fair to everyone, I cant blame him for that.. But I think the proposed solution is quite wonderful!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-01-2012 04:01 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by BlueSleeper View Post
      Hahahahahahaha, that won't always be the case. They still owe me a couple $k, still have my spec clutch, ignored their own warrenty, and dragged me along for over half a year that they had a custom clutch for me.
      I cant speak for your situation, but Darrell was awesome to work with!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-02-2012 03:28 PM #26
      fuel lines will be here tonight! im really excited about this!

-6AN Twist-tite Blue lines
      -6AN Twist-tite fittings
      -5/16 barb to -6AN fittings- Replacing stock fuel filter with direct replacement from ECS and then stepping up to the -6AN line..

-this is only a temporary solution. After some breathing time, I will upgrade the intank fuel pump and run a surge tank with bosch 044 pump.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-02-2012 09:39 PM #27
      Need to order a few more fittings, but its almost there..

-AWIC heat exchanger in the A/C condensers place.

28. 02-02-2012 10:52 PM #28
      I like this
      Unitronic830cc/Racetronix 846cc flowmatched injectors/HP6262SP-b/ TurboSmart Race Port/PrecisionPW39/TurboSmart MBC/Snow W/M Injection/IE Rods/AEB pistons/ARP Main cap studs/ARP headstuds/3" turboback/ FMIC/Custom fuel surge tank/ Wally 255/AEB head/supertech single keeper valves/ IECVA1 cams/IE valve springs and retainers/034 motor mounts. SPEC Stg 4 6 puck clutch, Vr6 lightweight flywheel. KRM intake manifold/80mm tb

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-02-2012 10:54 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Mindfault View Post
      I like this
      Thanks man! I appreciate it! hopefully I will have the manifold in a week or two and finally make some real progress

30. Forum Sponsor Gonzo@GTS Performance's Avatar
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit 1.6D, 99.5 Jetta TDI, 02 GTI VR6, 00 Golf 1.8T, 01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T, 00 Jetta TDI
      02-02-2012 11:04 PM #30
      Is there someway I can convince you to run 830cc's instead of 870cc's? Lol I hate Siemens injectors.
      Gonzo - Team Leader @ GONZOTUNING.com - Facebook! - 1-888-853-9703
      The Most Advanced Performance Software and Hardware for your VW/Audi - 1.8T, TDI, VR6, R32, 2.0T, TSI, TFSI, 2.7T
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      removal of the FrankenTurbo's actuator and replacement with a third-party's hardware voids the turbocharger's 2-year "warranty" [sic]

31. 02-02-2012 11:10 PM #31
      ^
      Unitronic830cc/Racetronix 846cc flowmatched injectors/HP6262SP-b/ TurboSmart Race Port/PrecisionPW39/TurboSmart MBC/Snow W/M Injection/IE Rods/AEB pistons/ARP Main cap studs/ARP headstuds/3" turboback/ FMIC/Custom fuel surge tank/ Wally 255/AEB head/supertech single keeper valves/ IECVA1 cams/IE valve springs and retainers/034 motor mounts. SPEC Stg 4 6 puck clutch, Vr6 lightweight flywheel. KRM intake manifold/80mm tb

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-02-2012 11:17 PM #32
      yes if we need to, amy recommendations on brand?

33. 02-02-2012 11:39 PM #33
      Racetronix tri cone spray. They are a flowmatched set but whatever gonzo recommends!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      02-03-2012 12:21 AM #34
      ^
      this
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT
      02-03-2012 05:27 AM #35
      Racetronix tri cone spray. They are a flowmatched set but whatever gonzo recommends!
      I'll definitely keep them in mind, but I'll go with the brand that gonzo has had the best experience tuning with (not sure which that is yet, he will chime in here today I'm sure)

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast