VWVortex

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike@LindenVW's .:R32 Thread - 20th Installation

1. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-03-2012 04:55 PM #36

2. 02-03-2012 06:19 PM #37
      Damn this is getting better and better by the day!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up guys!!!!!

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6 Turbo/DSG and 2008 Audi A4 Cab 2.0
      02-03-2012 08:07 PM #38
      Mike,

Thanks SO much for the thread. My installer is using some of this information to help prepare for my build.

I'd love for you to comment on the misc. items you might be doing along with the build. Such as, what types of items you might be replacing that are not part of the kit. Also, how many miles on on this car (what year too)?

Then any advice or tips would be super awesome.
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2008 Audi A4 2.0T Cab (Hi-Flow Cat and APR Tune!)
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

Vehicles
      04 VW R32 TRed, 05 Jetta Wagon Blk/Orange
      02-03-2012 08:10 PM #39
      gotta love a build thread!

5. 02-03-2012 11:46 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by nkgneto View Post
      gotta love a build thread!
      Yeah especially a HPA build thread!!!!!!!!

Hey mike what was that last pic of, looks like u cut that metal line and plugged it and welded it closed????

Vehicles
      98 Jetta VR6
      02-04-2012 09:11 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Stylist07 View Post

Hey mike what was that last pic of, looks like u cut that metal line and plugged it and welded it closed????
      There are two kombi valves on a r32. With this kit you are only using one and blocking off the other one. Notice the small block off plate. That is why the pipe was cut and a cap welded in.

7. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-06-2012 02:26 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by sentari View Post
      Mike,

Thanks SO much for the thread. My installer is using some of this information to help prepare for my build.

I'd love for you to comment on the misc. items you might be doing along with the build. Such as, what types of items you might be replacing that are not part of the kit. Also, how many miles on on this car (what year too)?

Then any advice or tips would be super awesome.
      The kit pretty much comes with everything needed to do the install the only things i had to get was some o'rings for the coolant pipe and the gaskets for the coolant flange the kit came with everything else i needed. the only advice i have is if your going to be installing this kit is to take your time don't rush throw it there is alot of small details that are very important. if u have any qusetions at all let me know i will be happy to anwser them

8. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-06-2012 02:28 PM #43

NJ Vr is right you have to remove one of the komb valves. and block off the pipe with the suppied block off plug

9. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-06-2012 05:51 PM #44
      sorry guys i didn't have time today to post more pics but i will have some more up in the am for u

10. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      Billet 72'd 07 GTI, Billet 6265'd 08 R32, 2010 GMC Sierra
      02-07-2012 09:52 AM #45
      HPA why block of the SAI? The new inspection machines in the US know when things are writen out in the software and readiness is forced. Blocked off SAI will not pass inspection here.

Other than that kit looks nice, I love the A2W setup.
      Last edited by JC@DouglasVW; 02-07-2012 at 09:57 AM.

11. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-07-2012 11:04 AM #46
      Ok here are some pics theses are for the fuel system you have to make the system have a return

12. Forum Sponsor Mike@LindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 R32T UG - 2660/5000
      02-08-2012 06:14 PM #47
      Hey all, Mike (the tech, we are 2 ppl.. ) has made a lot of progress and we were just waiting on the ECU from HPA and at the last minute I decided to powdercoat the valve/cam cover gunmetal. Just came back.

Car is getting totally put back together tomorrow, hopefully up and running by end of day or Friday if the ECU is here.

Last edited by Mike@LindenVW; 02-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Linden Volkswagen - Currently Offering HPA Motorsports Products -
      Less than 2 miles from Exit 13 off NJTPK - Less than 2 miles from Exit 136 on GSPKY
      www.lindenvw.com
      www.facebook.com/lindenvw

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      02-08-2012 06:14 PM #48
      Sweet!
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

14. 02-09-2012 02:38 AM #49
      U guys are doing a awesome job!!!

Here are a few question I have to ask.....

How many hrs has this install taken???

Also how much does it cost to powder coat the valve over???

What parts where used from the old CVP L2???

I would love to see some pix of the lower aluminum water heat exchanger and the water pump and that black extra container that comes with the kit, is tha black container for adding water to the air to water Intercooler???

I wonder why the exhaust manifold is devided and the custom turbine cast is not a twin scoll housing???

Is the lower water Intercooler made by HPA or Garrett or aftermarket????

Sorry or all the question.......

15. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-09-2012 04:33 PM #50

Here are a few question I have to ask.....

How many hrs has this install taken???

Also how much does it cost to powder coat the valve over???

What parts where used from the old CVP L2???

I would love to see some pix of the lower aluminum water heat exchanger and the water pump and that black extra container that comes with the kit, is tha black container for adding water to the air to water Intercooler???

I wonder why the exhaust manifold is devided and the custom turbine cast is not a twin scoll housing???

Sorry or all the question.......

We used the cams and the cold air intake and the cats from the cvp system

I am not sure on the total hours i now its over 40 i have been takeing my time so not to over look anything and so i can take lots of pics when the build is finshed i will total up all the hours

Don't know mike paid for the powder coating

I will post lots of pics of the air to water system and all its parts very soon i am installing the system today

would have to ask HPA about the manafold

The rad has no makings on it don't know who makes it

sorry i could't answer all the qustions for you

16. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-09-2012 06:09 PM #51

17. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-09-2012 06:14 PM #52

18. 02-09-2012 08:17 PM #53
      Hey everyone i would just to add that seeing pictures truly doesnt show how complete this kit is and when keir said they send the zip ties THEY DO!!!! even the locktite is in the package the only thing that doesnt come is an installer which at one point i thought tony was in the box but disappointely not lol.
      LINDEN VW MOTORSPORTS
      900 EAST ELIZABETH AVE
      LINDEN NJ 07036
      908-486-6201

19. 02-10-2012 02:33 AM #54
      Looking good as always...lol

Does HPA supply a fully detailed install booklet for us DiYers????

This kit is the best looking kit I have even seen on the market for the R32,it's also the priciest too, but there is a reason why. If there are more parts and the parts are more quality too then u will have to pay for them too. There is a reason that their kit is 10K

Not only HPA supply's the parts they also provide and make the custom mounts that are needed for a nice clean OEM look and feel.

One thing...... I wonder if HPA could make their kit even CHEAPER by using he Borg Warner Turbos, like where plain on doing in the first place, cuz instead of buy a Garret CHRA with their custom Compresser housing with BOV and custom turbine housing with internal WG. This sounds like it cost HPA and the buyer allot more money cuz of the custom made parts that are needed for a OEM install. I wonder if replacing the Garrett turbo with the Borg turbo with BOV and WG already installed on these types of turbos, would make the total cost of the kit a little more cheaper than 10k. Just an idea and thought.

Why did HPA decide to NOT use Borg Warner turbos and going back to the Garrett's turbos???

Keep up the good work on the install....

20. 02-10-2012 09:25 AM #55
      Looking good as always...lol

Does HPA supply a fully detailed install booklet for us DiYers????
      Yes, we have a detailed I sheet together with an assembled pack of OEM specific instructions. Mike and team forged forward before this was released and have been performing a very detailed and thorough installation. Great work guys!!

This kit is the best looking kit I have even seen on the market for the R32,it's also the priciest too, but there is a reason why. If there are more parts and the parts are more quality too then u will have to pay for them too. There is a reason that their kit is 10K

Why did HPA decide to NOT use Borg Warner turbos and going back to the Garrett's turbos???
      Sadly, Borg Warner’s EFR turbo never came to light. A manufacturing delay derailed that whole program and short of a handful of units that made there way through intial production testing, nothing more ever came of it. At SEMA this year, BW reps told our group that maybe end of 2012 we might see something…while there is more of a timing burden then a cost impact to assemble our garret hybrid, we deliver exactly what this engine needs to maximize RPM -TQ and HP while avoiding overloading or overheating the powerplant.

The divide within the exhaust manifold is a critical design as it retains the cylinder separations for the Oxygen sensors to deliver the correct fuel trim offsets to the ecu. One O2 manages two rear (hotter) cylinder and one front (cooler). The other O2 has two front (cooler) and one rear (hotter).

Any exhaust manifold that places these two sensors together will jeopardize long term durability as the hotter side of the engine will never get the right fuel balance to even out the heat placed on the valves.

following image should offer a better understanding

The front cooler is designed and manufactured in-house at HPA. Unlike a FMIC that is a bar and plate design, the tube and fin design of our radiator does not reduce cooling efficiency of the OEM engine radiator. This is as important as the separation in the exhaust manifold as it works hard towards controlling the heat sensitive head to allow maximum timing maps to be run.

Our cooler rad shares the tube and fine concept with the OEM A/C condenser/rad.
      Marcel Horn
      T: 604-888-7274
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 24 years of tuning VW's

Vehicles
      2007 Audi 8P S3
      02-10-2012 09:46 AM #56
      Awesome thread is awesome

22. Forum Sponsor Mike@LindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 R32T UG - 2660/5000
      02-13-2012 05:50 PM #58
      Thanks for the

We put the ECU in today and everything is back in except the hood and bumper ... did a few light runs behind the dealership and all I can say is OMG.

Tomorrow we do Stage III DSG and its all set. I will have some vids and pics of the final product probably Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Less than 2 miles from Exit 13 off NJTPK - Less than 2 miles from Exit 136 on GSPKY
      www.lindenvw.com

Vehicles
      02-13-2012 06:03 PM #59
      Nice work gentlemen.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

24. 02-13-2012 08:47 PM #60
      Can't wait to see this thing on the roads

So can u give a few tips, tricks, and a full review on HPA 20th turbo kit along with how the installed went, u took allot of pix but did say how thing where going along step by step.

If u can post up how hard this install would be on a DIYer like me, I'm not a mechcanic nor do I work on allot of cars just mine every so often.

What where a few things that u had to mod or change to make some parts fit that HPA might have missed on the instruction they sent????

How many HP does this kit provide???

25. Forum Sponsor Mike@LindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 R32T UG - 2660/5000
      02-13-2012 09:16 PM #61
      Can't wait to see this thing on the roads

So can u give a few tips, tricks, and a full review on HPA 20th turbo kit along with how the installed went, u took allot of pix but did say how thing where going along step by step.

If u can post up how hard this install would be on a DIYer like me, I'm not a mechcanic nor do I work on allot of cars just mine every so often.

What where a few things that u had to mod or change to make some parts fit that HPA might have missed on the instruction they sent????

How many HP does this kit provide???
      I am sure MikeTech can answer more in detail tomorrow but I figure I would chime in.

In terms of the steps, we received our kit before an official "How-To" was sent from HPA and did 95% of the installation without it. When he got it, our tech nailed it so props to Mike! We have not been able to really put alot of the detail into writing (yet) because we were focused on getting it done, so expect more once we finish it up tomorrow or Wednesday.

Based on what I saw Mike do, I do not think that this type of installation should be done unless you have many years of VW mechanical / tuning experience. Putting this much power into this car can, as many have posted, do incredible damage if not done right. Also, although doable, we felt it was necessary to remove both the engine and transmission to do it properly / efficiently. I can only assume that would be hard for a DIYer. I am sure Mike will go into more detail about this later.

As with our CVP2 installation, everything from HPA worked perfectly and we did not have to do any modifications to anything to make it work. It really is a "turbo in a box". The only thing missing was a guy to pop out and install it for us.

As for HP, we shall see what the dyno reads probably early next week!

www.lindenvw.com

Vehicles
      02-13-2012 10:18 PM #62
      It appears that the kit is stock 20th except the cams and the exhaust. Do you have the full HPA exhaust, including the high-flow cat section and the bypass section? Do you know what the cams get you? Any plans for the 500 kit-upgrade including the larger maf and injectors? Unfortunately at that point you really need an upgrade clutch pack and related stage IV software.
      Sentari,
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 (HPA FT500 Turbo): Build: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Turbo-Build
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

27. Banner Advertiser Sales@HPAmotorsports's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Fast VW's.
      02-13-2012 10:51 PM #63
      Sentari,

He has our CVP exhaust, which is not the same as the bypass exhaust.

We saw an increase of ~20 hp on the A3 we did with the same exhaust and cams, as the same path was taken with that car, CVP level 2 -> 20th Kit.

Its not quite the performance of the 100 cell count cats and 88mm exhaust, but its certainly an increase in flow over stock.
      Keir Parsons
      T: 604-598-8520 x103 E: sales@hpamotorsport.com
      HPA Motorsports
      Click here to join us on Facebook!
      Celebrating 20 years of tuning VW's

Vehicles
      1984 SVO Mustang, 1997 Millenia S, 2006 X3, 2008 R32, 2010 Golf TDI
      02-13-2012 11:31 PM #64
      Mike, you need to bring this beauty to WiTW/TOD. And bring the flashing dongle so we can get an ECU/DSG flash combo. Otherwise, I may have to drive up to Exit 13 on th NJTP.

This project is far beyond my means, mechanical skills, and driving skills, but I do appreciate those who can and do showcase the potential of our beloved cars. Bravo.

And to HPA, thanks for continuing to develop high performance parts and software for the last of the VR6s. Now I need a trip to the Canadian west coast, too.
      Candy White 2008 .:R32 #532 and Shark Blue 2010 Golf TDI
      .:R you in? I'm in. You .:R what you drive.
      Seduced by the Da.:Rk side I am.
      The Golf R brings balance to the FoRce.

29. 02-14-2012 12:35 AM #65
      Does HPA offer any upgraded DSG clutches, clutch packs, or any kind of clutch hardware????

Btw......if I fly out to Canada to HPA Motorsports can I get a ride in the twin turbo r32 or the 20th kit turbo r32??????

Vehicles
      2004 R32TT, 2005 Phaeton, 2011 A6 S-Line
      02-14-2012 12:38 AM #66
      Does HPA offer any upgraded DSG clutches, clutch packs, or any kind of clutch hardware????

Btw......if I fly out to Canada to HPA Motorsports can I get a ride in the twin turbo r32 or the 20th kit turbo r32??????
      Come to Houston, we'll throw in both, and maybe a Scirocco...
      MkIV R32TT AWIC DSG

My build thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...es-of-Skelator

Vehicles
      02-14-2012 12:58 AM #67
      Thanks Keir,

Just trying to decipher what is actually in this build (thread) because it seems there are MANY more HPA options than what people will find on the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Sales@HPAmotorsports View Post
      Sentari,

He has our CVP exhaust, which is not the same as the bypass exhaust.

We saw an increase of ~20 hp on the A3 we did with the same exhaust and cams, as the same path was taken with that car, CVP level 2 -> 20th Kit.

Its not quite the performance of the 100 cell count cats and 88mm exhaust, but its certainly an increase in flow over stock.
      Sentari,
      2011 Audi Q5 2.0T

Vehicles
      02-14-2012 01:01 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
      Mike, you need to bring this beauty to WiTW/TOD.
      Word.
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

33. Forum Sponsor MikeTech@lindenVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 91 cabby
      02-14-2012 10:04 AM #69

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI ; 2012 VW Golf TDI - 4DR 6MT
      02-14-2012 10:14 AM #70