Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 115

    Thread: Facebook IPO next week...

    1. 01-28-2012 05:06 AM #1
      So, FB's IPO is finally going to be sometime next week. What do you think? Will it tank like Zynga did, or will we see some good momentum?
      Quote Originally Posted by Travy View Post
      error404: Stance not found.

    2. 01-28-2012 01:11 PM #2
      At the proposed valuations of the IPO ($75-100 billion), the only money to be made will be on the investment banking side (the banks taking them private). FBOOK will have a market cap similar to that of CSCO (CSCO's TTM income is likely higher than FBOOK's TTM revenue). Even FBOOK's 2015 projected revenue of $25-$35/user at 50% EBITDA (very optimistic IMO) still would be rich with a $100 billion market cap.

    3. Member Matt15's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2007
      Posts
      1,378
      Vehicles
      '97 BMW 540i, '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
      01-28-2012 05:21 PM #3
      noob question:
      why would a $100bn company want/need to go public?

    4. 01-28-2012 05:58 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt15 View Post
      noob question:
      why would a $100bn company want/need to go public?
      To make the existing owners very rich.

      Plenty of people will buy this stock just because of the name. I won't be.

    5. 01-28-2012 09:10 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      To make the existing owners very rich.

      Plenty of people will buy this stock just because of the name. I won't be.
      Yeah, there's gonna be a new wave of silicone valley millionaires very soon.

      Nobody really knows if Facebook is profitable, they haven't disclosed any numbers yet, have they.

      Plus the pressure to keep the investors happy once they do go public will change the atmosphere at Facebook inc.

    6. Member robr2's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      5,854
      Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      01-29-2012 08:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by inivid View Post
      So, FB's IPO is finally going to be sometime next week. What do you think? Will it tank like Zynga did, or will we see some good momentum?
      Well the IPO isn't next week. They are expected to file paperwork with the SEC regarding an IPO. The actual IPO is months away.

      Quote Originally Posted by Matt15 View Post
      noob question:
      why would a $100bn company want/need to go public?
      The company isn't worth $100bn - that's an estimate of what it might be work if it were public. By going public, there is an actual value placed on the company and the current shareholders then have the opportunity to sell their shares based on that open market value. Facebook had revenue of $4.3bn last year. Even assuming a gross profit of 50% - I just don't see how it can be valued at $100bn.

    7. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      powell's books
      Posts
      35,626
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      01-30-2012 01:19 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      Plus the pressure to keep the investors happy once they do go public will change the atmosphere at Facebook inc.
      this is probably the biggest thing...

    8. Moderator Harv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2004
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      17,501
      Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      01-31-2012 12:17 AM #8
      If your a huge institution or a VC, then yeah you'll be happy with FB IPO.


      Individual investing? By the time we can get it I think it will be very overvalued.

    9. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      22,232
      01-31-2012 08:06 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt15 View Post
      noob question:
      why would a $100bn company want/need to go public?
      It is explained in this article. Basically they are required to go public by law because the company has too many investors to remain private. If they could restrict the total number of owners then the company could remain private, otherwise they are better off just going public.

      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Facebook had revenue of $4.3bn last year. Even assuming a gross profit of 50% - I just don't see how it can be valued at $100bn.
      Well if their profit was sky-high, like $2B in earnings with a 50x PE ratio could support that valuation. However; meanwhile the rest of the market is sitting around with 10X PE ratios. Microsoft is under 11x. Apple is under 13x. Even Google is under 20x. If we find out Facebook's real earnings are more like $1B then it would be hard to picture valuation anywhere even close to $100B.

      I've read articles indicating that a sixth of the world population has already signed up for facebook at least once and that in the USA membership peaked and is slightly falling now because it's no longer trendy. It's hard to give Facebook internet startup valuation when Facebook is honestly already very mature and unlikely to double or triple earnings in the next 5 years like so many internet startups can do.
      Last edited by AZGolf; 01-31-2012 at 08:14 AM.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,117
      01-31-2012 07:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post

      Individual investing? By the time we can get it I think it will be very overvalued.
      basically, there's no way for a guy like me to get in on the ground floor tomorrow morning?

    11. Member SteveMKIIDub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2003
      Posts
      12,987
      Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      01-31-2012 07:58 PM #11
      I don't know what it is, but I just have no desire to get into these types of things. I guess I just prefer business that I understand.

      Not that I don't understand Facebook
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

    12. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      powell's books
      Posts
      35,626
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      01-31-2012 08:11 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveMKIIDub View Post
      I guess I just prefer business that I understand.
      this one always cracks me up


    13. Member Salty VW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2004
      Location
      Little Town By The Sea
      Posts
      7,803
      Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      01-31-2012 11:22 PM #13
      I feel like it's too much of a household name not to see at least one good jolt out 'the gate.

      Long term? Who knows, It may very well become the next Myspace. But short term I almost can't see how it wouldn't be profitable.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

    14. 02-01-2012 02:35 AM #14
      something cooler, better, sexier will come along in a few years, 5,10, doesn't matter and facebook will die out. it's almost too popular to be cool anymore …

      ever since I stared having old, mature, and super young family members join, it stopped being fun ..

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,117
      02-01-2012 10:25 AM #15

    16. Moderator Harv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2004
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      17,501
      Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      02-01-2012 02:05 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      basically, there's no way for a guy like me to get in on the ground floor tomorrow morning?
      They are filing for an IPO, the actuall stock you can buy won't be out until May (?).

      But no, I bet 95% of the stock is already spoken for. But the time it hits us it will be so overvalued that Zuckerberg could buy a 3rd world country.

    17. Member Salty VW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2004
      Location
      Little Town By The Sea
      Posts
      7,803
      Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      02-01-2012 02:31 PM #17
      You're all forgetting one thing though: Everyone and their grandma is gonna want Facebook stock the day it hits the open market, whether it makes sense long term or not.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

    18. 02-01-2012 05:35 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Salty VW View Post
      You're all forgetting one thing though: Everyone and their grandma is gonna want Facebook stock the day it hits the open market, whether it makes sense long term or not.
      true. but what if it's like google… 100$ to 600$ in a few years. user wise, 800 mill people is alot of people … I see FB moving more towards sales of product, that being more ads, etc ..

      I wouldn't be surprised if they develop an algorithm that pre-reds your messages and implements product links in your posts, private messages, etc. or even outright send you private messages, promos etc, to your inbox.

    19. Senior Member AZGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2000
      Location
      Phoenix area
      Posts
      22,232
      02-01-2012 05:42 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      800 mill people is alot of people … I see FB moving more towards sales of product, that being more ads, etc ..
      They are already moving that direction with Facebook Credits. It won't be long before that can be used to actually pay for goods instead of using your PayPal account. Now instead of just "like"-ing your favorite company on Facebook, you could buy goods from them through facebook, or at least use facebook as the payment, similar to how paypal is the payment engine behind virtually every website nowadays. I'm sure they would like to have a "Pay with FB Credits" button on websites instead of "Pay with PayPal". I imagine that's the direction they are heading.

    20. Member Salty VW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2004
      Location
      Little Town By The Sea
      Posts
      7,803
      Vehicles
      '08 VW Thunder Rabbit Thingie, '86 Mazdarati B2000
      02-01-2012 05:58 PM #20
      Definitely wouldn't be surprised if they made an attempt at complete interweb dominance, ala Google.

      FaceTube, FaceMail, FaceVoice, etc.
      [B]-Salty
      Saltywayz | SKE Forums

    21. 02-01-2012 06:41 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      They are already moving that direction with Facebook Credits. It won't be long before that can be used to actually pay for goods instead of using your PayPal account. Now instead of just "like"-ing your favorite company on Facebook, you could buy goods from them through facebook, or at least use facebook as the payment, similar to how paypal is the payment engine behind virtually every website nowadays. I'm sure they would like to have a "Pay with FB Credits" button on websites instead of "Pay with PayPal". I imagine that's the direction they are heading.
      isn't the paypal one of the facebook shareholders,

    22. Member robr2's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2005
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      5,854
      Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      02-01-2012 06:48 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      isn't the paypal one of the facebook shareholders,
      No. Paypal is owned by eBay.

      According to wiki, these folks have shares of Facebook:

      Mark Zuckerberg: 24%
      Accel Partners: 10%
      Digital Sky Technologies: 10%,
      Dustin Moskovitz: 6%
      Eduardo Saverin: 5%
      Sean Parker: 4%
      Peter Thiel: 3%
      Greylock Partners and Meritech Capital Partners: between 1 to 2% each
      Microsoft: 1.3%
      Li Ka-shing: 0.75%
      Interpublic Group: less than 0.5%
      A small group of current and former employees and celebrities own less than 1% each
      The remaining 30% or so are owned by employees, an undisclosed number of celebrities, and outside investors.

    23. Moderator Harv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2004
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      17,501
      Vehicles
      Land Rovers - Audi
      02-01-2012 07:44 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      true. but what if it's like google… 100$ to 600$ in a few years. user wise, 800 mill people is alot of people … I see FB moving more towards sales of product, that being more ads, etc ..

      I wouldn't be surprised if they develop an algorithm that pre-reds your messages and implements product links in your posts, private messages, etc. or even outright send you private messages, promos etc, to your inbox.
      Good point, but right now Google has so much more than Facebook. You could argue that Googles IPO gave them the resources (cash) to bring in the world best engineers and other employees to come up with Google Maps/Earth, YouTube, Cell Phones, etc..


      But I'm still sticking to the fact that in the short-term, Facebook will be way overvalued.

    24. 02-01-2012 07:57 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Good point, but right now Google has so much more than Facebook. You could argue that Googles IPO gave them the resources (cash) to bring in the world best engineers and other employees to come up with Google Maps/Earth, YouTube, Cell Phones, etc..


      But I'm still sticking to the fact that in the short-term, Facebook will be way overvalued.
      Good point as well! Google for me is much more useful than Facebook, but I can see how the money brought by the IPO could bring some drastic changes to Facebook, at least in terms of outside acquisitions, employees, new off- products, a la YouTube for google, PayPal for eBay, etc.

      Overvaluated yes, but sometimes it seems that mr.Market doesn't care ad throws logic out the door.

      I'll be buying some once they become available for us low time investors.

      I believe in buffets logic, buy into products that you use everyday and like. And damn, I do use FB a few times a day.

    25. Member SteveMKIIDub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2003
      Posts
      12,987
      Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      02-01-2012 09:46 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      something cooler, better, sexier will come along in a few years, 5,10, doesn't matter and facebook will die out. it's almost too popular to be cool anymore …

      ever since I stared having old, mature, and super young family members join, it stopped being fun ..
      We could have said that about Google too, but now it is the dominate search engine. I still wouldn't put my money into Facebook, but I can see the potential.

      Or LinkedIn.
      "I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

    26. 02-02-2012 03:45 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      No. Paypal is owned by eBay.

      According to wiki, these folks have shares of Facebook:

      Mark Zuckerberg: 24%
      Accel Partners: 10%
      Digital Sky Technologies: 10%,
      Dustin Moskovitz: 6%
      Eduardo Saverin: 5%
      Sean Parker: 4%
      Peter Thiel: 3%
      Greylock Partners and Meritech Capital Partners: between 1 to 2% each
      Microsoft: 1.3%
      Li Ka-shing: 0.75%
      Interpublic Group: less than 0.5%
      A small group of current and former employees and celebrities own less than 1% each
      The remaining 30% or so are owned by employees, an undisclosed number of celebrities, and outside investors.
      sorry, I got mixed up, former paypal CEO Peter Thiel, owns nearly 45 million shares.

      I bet that Class B shares will start around the 25-35$ mark, and if they do, I totally see them hit 50$-60$, just because of the hype.

      and you know what's sad, that there is going to be a HUGE, and I mean HUGE bandwagon effect with this. People who are professionals, and total beginners will jump in. It will be all over the news, and everyone will want a piece of the pie, thinking it will be the next big easy money maker. Its' going to be a frenzy.

      can someone tell me, when was the last time/company this big, this influential that went IPO.
      Last edited by AIRider; 02-02-2012 at 03:51 AM.

    27. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      02-02-2012 11:11 AM #27
      There will be a lot of departures at Facebook once they lift the restrictions on trading their own shares.

    28. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      02-02-2012 11:17 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      Good point, but right now Google has so much more than Facebook. You could argue that Googles IPO gave them the resources (cash) to bring in the world best engineers and other employees to come up with Google Maps/Earth, YouTube, Cell Phones, etc..


      But I'm still sticking to the fact that in the short-term, Facebook will be way overvalued.
      That's the problem with Google, they are doing too many things and none of which they do well at.

      Google+, won't ever replace Facebook. If Facebook dies out, the entire category will be dead.

      Youtube, burning more cash than raking in. Google's still trying to figure out how to make money from it.

      Google maps, it's a good mapping utility. Bing's Maps are actually quite good.

      Android, may have the lead on marketshare because it's Free! But it's not bringing Google as much money which lead to investors dumping the stock after earnings report.

      Microsoft actually projected to make more money per device than Google, brings in health profits quarterly but gets no attention by investors.

    29. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      44,406
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      02-02-2012 12:50 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      It is explained in this article. Basically they are required to go public by law because the company has too many investors to remain private. If they could restrict the total number of owners then the company could remain private, otherwise they are better off just going public.
      Just to clarify, they aren't required to take the company public. They just have to publicly disclose certain things now that they have in excess of 500 shareholders.

      At that point though, you might as well go public, because you've lost one of the key advantages of being a private company.

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,149
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      02-06-2012 05:08 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt15 View Post
      noob question:
      why would a $100bn company want/need to go public?
      b/c until it goes public, it's not a $100B company.

    31. Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      17,327
      Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      02-06-2012 05:34 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      b/c until it goes public, it's not a $100B company.
      A $100B company is a $100B company, private or public.
      Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

    32. 02-07-2012 01:35 AM #32
      if you guys have timeline, did you notice new sponsored ads in your pictures?

    33. Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      17,327
      Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      02-07-2012 12:40 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by AIRider View Post
      if you guys have timeline, did you notice new sponsored ads in your pictures?
      Don't have it but it doesn't surprise me.
      Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,149
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      02-07-2012 01:22 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      A $100B company is a $100B company, private or public.
      Forecasted to be a $100B company prior to IPO isn't the same as being a $100B company. But if you know differently about how this works, please feel free to elaborate.

    35. Member jnm2.0t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2005
      Location
      Sunnyvale CA
      Posts
      17,327
      Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      02-07-2012 02:53 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Forecasted to be a $100B company prior to IPO isn't the same as being a $100B company. But if you know differently about how this works, please feel free to elaborate.
      Going public just changes the pool of potential owners.
      Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •