VWVortex

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: TLud's Golf R Thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      04-25-2012 03:23 PM #386
      Quote Originally Posted by specialkk43 View Post
      It makes it worse that the actual headlights turn off... just the parking lights stay on. When I first got my GTI I used to leave them on all the time... I'm a little more used to it now, but it's very easy to forget, IMO.

I don't need them to come on automatically, but, like in my Subaru, I would love if they just came on when I turned the car on and turned off when I turned the car off. Regardless of daylight or not.

Sounds like a pretty simple mod, and one worth doing.
      I thought I read recently that this could be done with VCDS coding. In other words, you could leave your stock headlight switch in the On position all the time, and with the new coding, the lights would shut off when the car was turned off. I'll run a search for that to see if I can find it again...

But yes, this is about as simple as it gets and was definitely worthwhile for me.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

Vehicles
      CW Golf R
      04-25-2012 03:32 PM #387
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      A nice side benefit that I mention in this video, but don't show, is that I now have the "coming home" feature. It's cool walking away from the car and seeing the sweet LED tail lights lit up for about 20 seconds.
      So headlights and tail lights stay on for 20 seconds? Do you know if you can change that increment w/ vag-com?
      "Of course, but I can also downill ski and figure skate..."

3. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 03:35 PM #388
      Quote Originally Posted by View Post
      So headlights and tail lights stay on for 20 seconds? Do you know if you can change that increment w/ vag-com?
      I know that on cars with the OEM light sensor/auto headlights, you can change the duration for the coming home feature with VCDS. I haven't tried to play with this yet myself to see whether the duration can be adjusted through VCDS with this kit, but will update when I do. I probably won't change it though. This length of time is just right for me.

ADD: I also want to find out if I can add the "leaving home" functionality, which normally is not operational without a light sensor/auto headlights.
      Last edited by TLud; 04-25-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Vehicles
      urquattro,Golf R,4000q,EvoIX
      04-25-2012 03:53 PM #389
      With the euro auto light switch you can code the coming home option and control the amount of time through the MFI afterwards.Leave the switch in auto mode flic the high beam switch and lock the car,the lights will stay on the amount you allowed through the MFI.

Vehicles
      CW Golf R
      04-25-2012 04:30 PM #390
      I know that on cars with the OEM light sensor/auto headlights, you can change the duration for the coming home feature with VCDS. I haven't tried to play with this yet myself to see whether the duration can be adjusted through VCDS with this kit, but will update when I do. I probably won't change it though. This length of time is just right for me.

ADD: I also want to find out if I can add the "leaving home" functionality, which normally is not operational without a light sensor/auto headlights.
      Gotta do this one...

Quote Originally Posted by autofi View Post
      With the euro auto light switch you can code the coming home option and control the amount of time through the MFI afterwards.Leave the switch in auto mode flic the high beam switch and lock the car,the lights will stay on the amount you allowed through the MFI.
      Hmmm. That would be perfect.
      "Of course, but I can also downill ski and figure skate..."

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 04:38 PM #391
      Yep. You just have to make sure your coming home mode is set to "1" (for manual HL stalk pull) as opposed to "0" (for automatic with RLS - light sensor).

Vehicles
      urquattro,Golf R,4000q,EvoIX
      04-25-2012 04:43 PM #392
      Yep. You just have to make sure your coming home mode is set to "1" (for manual HL stalk pull) as opposed to "0" (for automatic with RLS - light sensor).
      Oops forgot about that small detail!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      04-25-2012 04:55 PM #393
      Oops forgot about that small detail!
      No worries. It was excellent point that you made for anyone who wants the coming home feature, but doesn't care about automatic headlights.

9. 04-26-2012 12:14 AM #394
      Auto headlights mod is great. Nice find! Just ordered it for mine. Thanks for posting the video.

Question. Any chance you could write an idiots guide for wiring your auto dimming mirror. I purchased the same one but without the compass and plan to install it this weekend. Mounting it will not be a problem for me but I just don't understand precisely what I need to do to wire it in the fuse box.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-26-2012 12:44 AM #395
      Post 100 tells you how to route the wires from that location to the fuse box.

Once you have the three wires in that area, loosen one of the large frame bolts that are right there and slip the ring terminal of the ground wire underneath and re-tighten the bolt.

You'll also need 2 add-a-circuits from AutoZone or Pep Boys to connect the two power wires to the fuse box. Strip the ends off of those wires so that you have about a quarter inch of bare, uninsulated wire showing and connect them to the add-a-circuits by crimping them. There are two fuse slots on each of the add-a-circuits. Insert 5 amp mini fuses into the slots furthest away from the prongs (one for each add-a-circuit). These fuses are for the mirror. Now you're ready to plug the add-a-circuits into the appropriate slots in the fuse box. The black wire with the white stripe needs an ignition power source (ACC), which you can do by plugging it into fuse slots 5 or 6 (see the fuse diagram linked in Post 100 above). Slot 6 is the top right slot. Slot 5 is immediately to the left of it. The solid black wire needs a constant power source (12+), which you can get by plugging into fuse slot 12. Those slots already have fuses in them, so you'll need to pull out those fuses (use the little white tool attached to the back of the trim piece you removed to access the fuse panel) and put them into the remaining open slots on the add-a-circuits. Then plug the add-a-circuits, which each should now have two fuses in them (a 5 amp on top of a 10 amp), into the now empty fuse box slots (slot 5 or 6 for the black wire with white stripe and slot 12 for the solid black wire). Before you clean everything up, turn the car on and make sure it works properly. Once you've confirmed that it does, zip tie and secure all the wires and close everything up).

If you have any questions or need me to walk you through it feel free to PM me. If need be, I can give you my number so you can call me and I can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

11. 04-26-2012 10:04 AM #396
      Post 100 tells you how to route the wires from that location to the fuse box.

Once you have the three wires in that area, loosen one of the large frame bolts that are right there and slip the ring terminal of the ground wire underneath and re-tighten the bolt.

You'll also need 2 add-a-circuits from AutoZone or Pep Boys to connect the two power wires to the fuse box. Strip the ends off of those wires so that you have about a quarter inch of bare, uninsulated wire showing and connect them to the add-a-circuits by crimping them. There are two fuse slots on each of the add-a-circuits. Insert 5 amp mini fuses into the slots furthest away from the prongs (one for each add-a-circuit). These fuses are for the mirror. Now you're ready to plug the add-a-circuits into the appropriate slots in the fuse box. The black wire with the white stripe needs an ignition power source (ACC), which you can do by plugging it into fuse slots 5 or 6 (see the fuse diagram linked in Post 100 above). Slot 6 is the top right slot. Slot 5 is immediately to the left of it. The solid black wire needs a constant power source (12+), which you can get by plugging into fuse slot 12. Those slots already have fuses in them, so you'll need to pull out those fuses (use the little white tool attached to the back of the trim piece you removed to access the fuse panel) and put them into the remaining open slots on the add-a-circuits. Then plug the add-a-circuits, which each should now have two fuses in them (a 5 amp on top of a 10 amp), into the now empty fuse box slots (slot 5 or 6 for the black wire with white stripe and slot 12 for the solid black wire). Before you clean everything up, turn the car on and make sure it works properly. Once you've confirmed that it does, zip tie and secure all the wires and close everything up).

If you have any questions or need me to walk you through it feel free to PM me. If need be, I can give you my number so you can call me and I can help you out.

This is awesome. You are
      I'll let you k ow how it goes. We don't have those stores in Canada but I'm sure I'll fund the add a circuits somewhere.

12. 04-26-2012 07:01 PM #397
      Besides the plug and play feature, are there any additional benefits to the kit. I know it can be a hassle to find a VAG and code it but can't you just program the coming home and leaving home features with a euroswitch?

Vehicles
      12 Golf R, 08 Mazda 5 GT, 03 GTI 1.8T, 98 Accord coupe EX-V6, 93 Civic Si HB
      04-27-2012 01:45 AM #398
      I almost feel stupid for asking you this: what happens during the headlight activation sequence?

Btw, thanks for posting your DIY on the radar detector installation. I routed the wiring for my in-car mini DVR along the A-pillar and your DIY helped make it much easier. I was quite surprised that I can't find any fuse diagram in the owner's manual or on the fuse panel door. As far as I can remember this kind of information was readily available when I was working on my mk4 GTI.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:05 PM #399
      Quote Originally Posted by Lent53 View Post
      Besides the plug and play feature, are there any additional benefits to the kit. I know it can be a hassle to find a VAG and code it but can't you just program the coming home and leaving home features with a euroswitch?
      Well, first of all, I wanted automatic headlights, which you need the light sensor and module for. Second, I know you can't do leaving home without having RLS (light sensor). I haven't yet done the coding to see if leaving home works with this aftermarket sensor, but I'll let everyone know after I try it this weekend. Third, having the light sensor makes coming home automatic. If you don't have a light sensor, you can only code the car (with the Euro switch) for manual operation of the coming home feature, which requires you to pull the hi-beam stalk when you turn off the car.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:20 PM #400
      Quote Originally Posted by deepfry View Post
      I almost feel stupid for asking you this: what happens during the headlight activation sequence?

Btw, thanks for posting your DIY on the radar detector installation. I routed the wiring for my in-car mini DVR along the A-pillar and your DIY helped make it much easier. I was quite surprised that I can't find any fuse diagram in the owner's manual or on the fuse panel door. As far as I can remember this kind of information was readily available when I was working on my mk4 GTI.
      The headlight activation sequence is where the lights move up/down and out/in to align themselves. Because the lights don't begin to shine immediately, you can't see this happen.

Yeah, the lack of a fuse diagram is frustrating.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 R CW 4Dr
      04-27-2012 12:25 PM #401
      Well, first of all, I wanted automatic headlights, which you need the light sensor and module for. Second, I know you can't do leaving home without having RLS (light sensor). I haven't yet done the coding to see if leaving home works with this aftermarket sensor, but I'll let everyone know after I try it this weekend. Third, having the light sensor makes coming home automatic. If you don't have a light sensor, you can only code the car (with the Euro switch) for manual operation of the coming home feature, which requires you to pull the hi-beam stalk when you turn off the car.

10 seconds vid of the activation sequence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApaBaIeD2PU

-Peter
      // OEM Recaros // RNS-510 // RVC // RLS // OPS // OEM Auto-Dimming Auto-Folding Exterior Mirrors // OEM Homelink // OEM LED Tails // OEM Golf R Black Headlights // OEM Door puddle lights // OKADA Plasma Coils // APR Stage 3 // 034M Catch Can
      RNS-510 Guru // VWNavi.com // Instagram: PeterDNA

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 02:14 AM #402
      Thanks guys, now I know what activation sequence means. However, if that's when the lights do the auto-align / calibrate, will losing this activation sequence cause any adverse effect?

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 02:20 AM #403
      Quote Originally Posted by jacktown View Post
      This is awesome. You are
      I'll let you k ow how it goes. We don't have those stores in Canada but I'm sure I'll fund the add a circuits somewhere.
      Hey jacktown, not sure where you're located but Canadian Tire carries both the ATO Add-a-circuit and the Mini Add-a-circuit (by Littlefuse). They come with assorted fuses in different AMPs.

19. 04-28-2012 09:59 AM #404
      Hey jacktown, not sure where you're located but Canadian Tire carries both the ATO Add-a-circuit and the Mini Add-a-circuit (by Littlefuse). They come with assorted fuses in different AMPs.
      Thanks Deepfry. I figured as much and will go check.
      Thanks for the heads up.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-Door
      04-28-2012 11:32 AM #405
      Thanks guys, now I know what activation sequence means. However, if that's when the lights do the auto-align / calibrate, will losing this activation sequence cause any adverse effect?
      It still does the sequence, you just don't see it because the bulbs are not on. It's the same as if you start your car and leave the lights off.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 05:02 PM #406
      Quote Originally Posted by UncannySkill View Post
      It still does the sequence, you just don't see it because the bulbs are not on. It's the same as if you start your car and leave the lights off.
      good to know

22. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 02:20 PM #407
      Look, Ma! No blind spot!

Aspherical Mirrors

I installed the OEM heated aspherical mirrors a few days ago and love 'em. It took a couple of days to get used to the different view, but I wouldn't go back to the standard US-spec mirrors for love or money. The range of view is much greater, and the blind spot is a thing of the past. Objects seem slightly smaller (farther away), especially at the edge of the mirror, but you quickly get used to that. I highly recommend these.

I chose the basic heated version of the Euro aspherical mirrors, which I ordered from BKS Tuning (also available at other vendors). There is also a much more expensive (3x more) "anti-dazzle" (dimming) version, but it's completely unnecessary, especially since I have tinted windows anyway.

The install was easy. Just pry/pop the stock mirrors out from the inboard edge, disconnect the two wires for the mirror heating (basic spade connection), reconnect those wires to the new mirror, and pop it back in. Literally took me 7 minutes total, including wiping down the new mirrors after the install.

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      05-03-2012 02:25 PM #408
      putting mine in this weekend
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 03:11 PM #409
      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      Man, I thought they were a gimmick and just something installed by people who ran out of mods for their car. I was wrong. Major safety/visibility upgrade.

25. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      05-03-2012 03:16 PM #410
      tell us one more time.....

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 03:21 PM #411
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      Hold on. Let me throw up some smilies.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:00 PM #412
      on the 5th of may i will be traveling to the place where these things called blind spot mirrors got delivered to. i will then proceed to take off my mirrors and put these blind spot mirrors on. when will this happen? saturday, may 5th, 2012. once again thats this saturday, may 5th, 2012. kthnxbye

28. Member
      Ft lauderdale, FL for winter / Saratoga, NY for the summer
      Vehicles
      2004 Indigo GTI / 2012 DBP Golf R
      05-03-2012 04:16 PM #413
      on the 5th of may i will be traveling to the place where these things called blind spot mirrors got delivered to. i will then proceed to take off my mirrors and put these blind spot mirrors on. when will this happen? saturday, may 5th, 2012. once again thats this saturday, may 5th, 2012. kthnxbye
      aka Cinco de Mayo

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:20 PM #414
      Quote Originally Posted by SOFLA View Post
      aka Cinco de Mayo
      drunko de mayo

30. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:24 PM #415
      drunko de mayo
      again?...

31. Member
      Ft lauderdale, FL for winter / Saratoga, NY for the summer
      Vehicles
      2004 Indigo GTI / 2012 DBP Golf R
      05-03-2012 04:28 PM #416
      drunko de mayo
      Yuuuuuuuupppp!

Good thing there is a mexican joint real close to my work. Which I am friends with some of the bartenders and know the owner.

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:28 PM #417
      again?...
      prob not. gotta be up early to roll out to staggered. prob need to wash the car before since its not gonna be so nice on sat

33. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:29 PM #418
      prob not. gotta be up early to roll out to staggered. prob need to wash the car before since its not gonna be so nice on sat
      I meant....again with the stupid post?

Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:34 PM #419
      I meant....again with the stupid post?
      go wash that sand out of your vagina johnny. then sit in your seat and cheer up brotato

35. Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 04:36 PM #420
      My build thread is infected.

I was really proud of the high information concentration in this thread, but I've officially sold out to post count.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast