Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi TT-RS Plus (360 HP & S-tronic) - Official Debut at Geneva 2012

02-03-2012 11:15 AM #36
      I appreciate them both and have both currently. DSG is great on normal cars like our Golf and JSW but I prefer a manual on sports cars. Maybe I'm old fashion but the manual is just more fun to me.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray (wrapped in Avery Dark Gray Matte Metallic and Gloss Black) , CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 OB Q7 S, 2012 PB TTRS
      02-03-2012 12:15 PM #37
      The masses have spoken. Down with DSG!

Anyone have some Porsche info on how their PDK is selling? Just curious.
      2011 Orca Black Q7 S-Line
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      02-03-2012 12:26 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by DrDomm View Post
      The masses have spoken. Down with DSG!

Anyone have some Porsche info on how their PDK is selling? Just curious.
      I'm going to talk a bit out of asz here, but I would bet PDK is selling quite well for Porsche...but...I think there's more that meets the eye than just mere sales.
      At least here in Texas, for every car enthusiast who drives their sports car for its virtues and may dabble in trackdays/autocross, there's three who buy them for the badge and prestige and never even floor the car to see what she'll do. I would imagine that PDK sells well to this crowd, an automatic with cred so to speak. I would imagine there are some track rats who really dig and can exploit the PDK but sales wise, I still think they're the minority.
      Another factor is that Porsche's production numbers have really been trimmed from a few years ago. A quick search of various dealer websites around the country will show a much smaller inventory of cars ready for delivery. When I bought my Cayman S in late 2006, there was literally 5 or 6 hundred on the ground around the USA in various configurations. Nowadays, my local dealer(s) will have only 20-30 cars total on the lot and most of those will be Cayennes or Panameras. I bet most lot cars are ordered with PDK to make them appeal to a broader audience.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

4. Member
      Vehicles
      02-03-2012 12:50 PM #39
      Scott, that could be true. But you could also look at it that enthusiasts will buy the car with the options that make it the quickest. And that's why if DSG was offered on the RS, I would have a hard time passing on it. Nissan GT-R is another car where it's standard.

I understand the whole "skill" and "driver connection" attached to the manual, but when I buy a performance car I want the performance. Now, the RS has definitely helped refresh my shifting and braking skills.

But if I was building a racecar, and a sequential gearbox was an option (that I could afford, and there wasn't a severe weight penalty), that's what I would choose. The goal is to go faster than everyone else.

Here's me talking out of my asz...I think Audi drivers are insecure about how BMW and Porsche drivers view our cars. Getting a manual helps alleviate that insecurity. (I'm sure this will go over well.)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

5. 02-03-2012 01:37 PM #40
      Scott, that could be true. But you could also look at it that enthusiasts will buy the car with the options that make it the quickest. And that's why if DSG was offered on the RS, I would have a hard time passing on it. Nissan GT-R is another car where it's standard.

I understand the whole "skill" and "driver connection" attached to the manual, but when I buy a performance car I want the performance. Now, the RS has definitely helped refresh my shifting and braking skills.

But if I was building a racecar, and a sequential gearbox was an option (that I could afford, and there wasn't a severe weight penalty), that's what I would choose. The goal is to go faster than everyone else.

Here's me talking out of my asz...I think Audi drivers are insecure about how BMW and Porsche drivers view our cars. Getting a manual helps alleviate that insecurity. (I'm sure this will go over well.)
      I think people who care that much about performance in a road car are insecure about the car next to them possibly being quicker. Really, does shift time make that much difference on the way to work, or even out playing on forest roads?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      02-03-2012 02:20 PM #41
      I test drove a TTS and thought the DSG was pretty awesome. I would have definitely thought twice about a 7-speed DSG if it was available on the TT-RS. And I've only had manual trans cars...
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02-03-2012 06:57 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      I think people who care that much about performance in a road car are insecure about the car next to them possibly being quicker. Really, does shift time make that much difference on the way to work, or even out playing on forest roads?
      In a way, yes. You absolutely feel the seemless acceleration(and deceleration) in the TTS. That, to me, is a rush. The system is so good, that even though I love my RS with 6sp manual, I know the DSG is superior.

"People who care that much about performance in a road car"???...you mean all of us? As enthusiasts, aren't we supposed to care? I care.

Not to start WW3...I love the manual transmission. I'm just saying the DSG is worth consideration from all, and I would probably choose it.

(Thanks, Marty. I knew we would finally agree on something.)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

Vehicles
      Audi TTRS
      02-03-2012 07:03 PM #43
      In a way, yes. You absolutely feel the seemless acceleration(and deceleration) in the TTS. That, to me, is a rush. The system is so good, that even though I love my RS with 6sp manual, I know the DSG is superior.

"People who care that much about performance in a road car"???...you mean all of us? As enthusiasts, aren't we supposed to care? I care.

Not to start WW3...I love the manual transmission. I'm just saying the DSG is worth consideration from all, and I would probably choose it.

(Thanks, Marty. I knew we would finally agree on something.)
      I the TTRS in any variation, color (there's wrap for that). The DSG from what I've read is phenomenal! This go round I decided (no choice on TTRS) to get it in the near extinct manual. Otherwise I would have went 911 or Cayman R PDK.
      2012 Daytona TT-RS / Tech / ASM Recaro Advanced SR-7 / Alcantara / HRE C93 9.5 x 19 Brushed Polished and staggered.

9. 02-03-2012 07:19 PM #44

Actually no, I'm not after that last 0.1s of anything. What I really wanted was a 5-cylinder coupe with a manual transmission that handles well. The fact that it has 360hp is I guess a bonus but as I've found out in my first month with it, that power is not very accessible and some days is far more frustrating than wheeling around with my lowly 225hp mk1. But the noise certainly makes up for it

10. Member
      Vehicles
      02-03-2012 07:57 PM #45
      Actually no, I'm not after that last 0.1s of anything. What I really wanted was a 5-cylinder coupe with a manual transmission that handles well. The fact that it has 360hp is I guess a bonus but as I've found out in my first month with it, that power is not very accessible and some days is far more frustrating than wheeling around with my lowly 225hp mk1. But the noise certainly makes up for it
      Yeah, to each his own. The car is awesome no matter what transmission. But I'm not just talking about the 0.1s differences. I truly think the experience of your foot on the floor, pulling back the right paddle, and hearing the backfire as it upshifts without a hiccup is intoxicating. Then decelerating around a curve, retracting the left paddle, and listening to the programmed throttle blip was addicting.

So I guess with all that inaccessible hp you won't be opting for an APR or GIAC ECU flash, eh?
      1999 Spec Miata #46

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      02-03-2012 08:30 PM #46
      So I guess with all that inaccessible hp you won't be opting for an APR or GIAC ECU flash, eh?
      Nor an intercooler "upgrade".
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

12. 02-03-2012 08:43 PM #47
      Yeah, to each his own. The car is awesome no matter what transmission. But I'm not just talking about the 0.1s differences. I truly think the experience of your foot on the floor, pulling back the right paddle, and hearing the backfire as it upshifts without a hiccup is intoxicating. Then decelerating around a curve, retracting the left paddle, and listening to the programmed throttle blip was addicting.
      I will give you this, full throttle, no-lift upshifts in the R8 were pretty epic.

Oh man that's a hard one... I go back and forth between this is more than enough power and if I chip it I'll either never be able to use it or end up in jail, and then I think, screw it, as soon as APR has their stage 3 setup available I'm getting it

13. Member
      Vehicles
      02-03-2012 09:13 PM #48
      Oh man that's a hard one... I go back and forth between this is more than enough power and if I chip it I'll either never be able to use it or end up in jail, and then I think, screw it, as soon as APR has their stage 3 setup available I'm getting it
      Now you're talking stage 3?! Oh boy, the ECU upgrade is a good compromise.
      1999 Spec Miata #46

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      02-03-2012 10:07 PM #49
      Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      02-03-2012 10:14 PM #50

"backfire as it upshifts?" does the rs let out some good popping and gurggle when shifting? Be it manual or dsg... I thought you would have to install the miltek pipes that delete the secondary car to get that sound/pops as I think Jeremy mentioned in some other post.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-04-2012 08:43 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by J662 View Post
      "backfire as it upshifts?" does the rs let out some good popping and gurggle when shifting? Be it manual or dsg... I thought you would have to install the miltek pipes that delete the secondary car to get that sound/pops as I think Jeremy mentioned in some other post.
      FWIW, "backfire" probably wasn't the right word, but anyone who's driven a DSG TTS knows what I mean. Word on the UK TT forum was that the RS with DSG sounded even more awesome on upshifts. I imagine this is even more pronounced with a louder exhaust.

The manual doesn't have the same type of sound on shifts.
      1999 Spec Miata #46

17. Member
      Vehicles
      02-04-2012 08:55 AM #52
      Exactly.
      You guys are just in denial.

Aside from the "experience" of the DSG that I described above, we all are proud of the potential performance of our cars. When someone asks you about your car, don't you tout all of it's virtues?

"Yeah, it's got 360hp and is all wheel drive. It's got 370mm Brembo brakes. Zero to 60 is 4.1." No one here boasts about this stuff (in good taste, of course)? Come on.

Anyway, people would always ask me about the DSG on the TTS with that "It's an automatic?!!!" attitude. I was (and still am) proud to explain that it's a paddle actuated manual that is better than the 6 speed manual. Now, my friends are like "I'm glad you finally got a manual", but I tell them the DSG was better.
      1999 Spec Miata #46

Vehicles
      Audi TTRS
      02-04-2012 08:58 AM #53
      FWIW, "backfire" probably wasn't the right word, but anyone who's driven a DSG TTS knows what I mean. Word on the UK TT forum was that the RS with DSG sounded even more awesome on upshifts. I imagine this is even more pronounced with a louder exhaust.

The manual doesn't have the same type of sound on shifts.
      Visual evidence of pops, er "backfire" exhibit A:

ABT w/Millitek exhaust (so much win it's disgusting):
      2012 Daytona TT-RS / Tech / ASM Recaro Advanced SR-7 / Alcantara / HRE C93 9.5 x 19 Brushed Polished and staggered.

Vehicles
      02-04-2012 12:22 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by AppleChilli View Post
      Visual evidence of pops, er "backfire" exhibit A:

ABT w/Millitek exhaust (so much win it's disgusting):
      Disgusting is right. God I love that clip.

Anyone know where in San Diego (or closest to SD) I can order Miltek exhaust?...and a reputable place to have it installed.

20. 02-04-2012 12:43 PM #55
      Disgusting is right. God I love that clip.

Anyone know where in San Diego (or closest to SD) I can order Miltek exhaust?...and a reputable place to have it installed.

These guys are nearby and are carrying the cat-bypass pipes so they can probably get the full milltek system.

http://g-werke.com/products.cfm

Vehicles
      02-04-2012 01:05 PM #56
      These guys are nearby and are carrying the cat-bypass pipes so they can probably get the full milltek system.

Thanks, yeah saw those guys. A little far but might be a fun 7 hour road trip or if I ordered from them and had them ship to me that would be ideal. Just need to find a good place that works on Audis in SD or LA.

Last edited by J662; 02-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Vehicles
      02-10-2012 12:48 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by tdi-bart View Post
      Virtually zero difference from the US spec. That's why I don't think they will release it in the states because we effectively have the same car already.

23. Member
      02-10-2012 02:15 AM #59
      http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publi...cle_7475.shtml

It's my car!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

SUCK IT!

- Jeremy -

Vehicles
      02-10-2012 01:43 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post

SUCK IT!

- Jeremy -
      Classic. Exactly. that's why I don't understand what the "plus" is all about...a few extra HP? Big deal. Surpass that in a heartbeat with ecu and exhaust tune.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      TTRS GIAC Stg 2 AWE
      02-10-2012 02:08 PM #61
      having it shipped to north county sd. Ill have gmg or pure ms throw it on the car.

26. 02-10-2012 02:22 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post

SUCK IT!

- Jeremy -
      just as I said!
      q u a t t i v e
      T T - R S
      Monza / Titanium / Tech / Heated Seats / Leather

Vehicles
      Audi TTRS
      02-11-2012 08:35 AM #63
      TTRS Plus - Jeremy's car

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      04-16-2012 03:19 AM #64
      Anyone outside of North America considering ordering this car now that its available?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12