Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: SOLO WERKS S1 Coilovers for MK6 Jetta's* In stock and Shipping | $499* | at AMI

Vehicles
      2012 Golf 2.5
      02-07-2012 07:59 PM #26
      Just a bit confused on this coilover set.

These fit both mk5 and mk6 Jettas including the sportwagen ( that has mk5 independent rear suspension) but dont fit the mk6 GLI that has the same thing?

These don't fit base model mk6 Jettas while other coilover kits do fit all mk6 jetta models?

How is that possible? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk. Im genuinely confused.

2. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-07-2012 08:32 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by GT_GREG View Post
      Just a bit confused on this coilover set.

These fit both mk5 and mk6 Jettas including the sportwagen ( that has mk5 independent rear suspension) but dont fit the mk6 GLI that has the same thing?

These don't fit base model mk6 Jettas while other coilover kits do fit all mk6 jetta models?

How is that possible? I'm not trying to come across as a jerk. Im genuinely confused.
      I completely understand your confusion, and I was in the same boat not having installed these on a MK6 Jetta myself.

What I can tell you is that as I said before, I have had the Solo's in front of me and compared with the 3 or 4 part numbers from both ST's and KW's that cover these applications and compared them all side by side.

Here is what we found:

The rear springs are all the same design on all the MK5-MK6 offerings from all vendors as are the perches - regardless of independent vs non. There were 2 different spring rates, one standard and one heavier spring. The Solo's that we have Part # S1VW006 have the standard spring and apparently the heavier one will follow shortly for the Wagon's etc...

The fronts only differ in the size of the strut body (50mm for the base model - 55mm for all others, we can only guess this was a cost measure by VW - as there are many models in the rest of the world that use the smaller strut body), and in some cases the spring rate is different - this varies per manufacturer & tuning - but they are all the same design.

From what we have seen, there should be no reason why this kit would not be the one for the GLI as well as they should also be the 55mm strut housing - they were just left off the list due to an oversight on our part.

I wish I had more of an explanation but no one has any additional answers for us right now - with the manufacturers keeping their secret recipes to themselves for the moment.

Thanks
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com
      Toll Free 1 (888) 362-3117
      BB Exhausts - FK - KW - Magnaflow - Solo Werks - ST - Wagner Tuning & more
      www.eurocollective.com - Contact us for a personalized quote!

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      11 Jetta SE
      02-08-2012 02:55 PM #28
      Anyone who has actually recieved these have pics on a mk6.

4. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-08-2012 06:46 PM #29
      Another great day!

As always, all orders received before 3:00 PM pacific time are in process and will be shipping today and tracking information will follow - watch your email boxes for the info (and check your Junk folder just in case)

Thanks!
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE
      02-08-2012 10:59 PM #30
      Mine will be here Monday the 13th! Ill post pictures shortly.

Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta Sportline MKVI;
      02-08-2012 11:03 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Type-s Syndrome View Post
      Mine will be here Monday the 13th! Ill post pictures shortly.
      nice can't wait to see them before I decide to purchase
      2011 VW Jetta Sportline; black
      19" RS4 rep wheels on 235/35/19 Pirelli P-Zero Nero rubber; lowered on ST Coilovers
      AWE Track Edition exhaust
      http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/67303.png

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL Sport
      02-09-2012 01:22 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Sales @ AMI View Post
      (50mm for the base model - 55mm for all others, we can only guess this was a cost measure by VW - as there are many models in the rest of the world that use the smaller strut body)
      Ok, Is this a miss type? I ask because to make the VW Jetta cheaper here, they cut corners, especially in the base model. That being said, if that were the case, I would imagine that the base models would NOT share the same size struts as the rest of the world.

Now, after reading this thread, I was abotu to warn everyone not to trust what was being said as I (along with most of the rest of us), have been led to believe that the Mk6 Sedans were not at all like the Mk5 sedans and Mk6 Sportwagen. But, I did so quick research, which I have done before but never looked at the Mk6 wagens. What I did was compare part numbers from manufactures and see what matched up. I used H&R, since this will be the coil over company I personally will use, and this is what I have found. For the Street Performance Coilover Kit, the part number for the Sedan is the same as the Sportwagen - 54780-2. I then looked at the Mk5s on the other hand is - 54755-2. But, if you look at the RSS Club Sport Coilover Kit for the Mk6 Sportwagen and the Mk5s, you will see they share part numbers - RSS1755-1. Now, if the one type of suspension from a Mk5 sedan can be bolted into the Mk6 Wagen, and another type can fit the Mk6 Wagen and the Mk6 Sedan, that means they are all interchangeable. A Mk5 coilover WILL bolt into a Mk6. After realizing this, I then started research WHY they would have different part number between the Mk6 and Mk5 Sedans. What I found is this, My car, 2011 Jetta Sedan SEL w/ Sport Package has a curb weight of 3,082lbs. The 2009 Sedan (wanted to make sure it was a Mk5 I found) has a curb weight of 3,230lbs. The Mk6 Sportwagen has a curb weight of 3,285lbs. This is why the Mk5 and the Mk6 Wagen share coilover, cup kits, etc., they can use the same spring rate since they only differ by 55lbs in weight. The Mk6 Sedan is lighter by appox 200lbs. Now, saying all that, those of you with the Mk6 Sedan WITH the 4 ccylinder base model have a curb weight of 2,804lbs. THAT is why the aftermarket companies have been slow to release kits for th eMk6. The drastic difference is in the base models, 200lbs light than 5 cylinder Mk6s and 400lbs light than Mk5s and Mk6 Sportwagens. Agoiant, different springs rates. Now, I am only guessing that those of us with 5 bangers have a different spring rate than the wagens and the Mk5s, but they prolly do since 200lbs is a full grown adults worth of weight in the cars curb weight. Most of us know our cars feel different with just one person in our car with us, even when they don't even weigh 200lbs, lol.

Ok, so, if you have read this far, awesome. You now know why all this is why it is and you also know that Mk5s suspensions CAN be used on Mk6s Sedans IF you have the 5 pot motor. The out come will be a slightly stiffer suspension because of the spring rates. This is what I will choose since I LOVE my cars having a stiffer ride. My 98 Jetta VR6 handle like it was on rails. I had Bilstein coils, adj, rear lower sway, front upper strut bar, TT front control arm rear bushings with poly front bushings, VF Engineering motor mounts al around, heavy duty front upper shock bushings, poly rear upper shock bushings, and had the ride hight corner balanced. Not to toot my own horn, but I learned a lot about suspensions from screwing around with that car. Everything was installed by myself. Corner balancing was done by a shop that builds and race preps SCCA cars. I SERIOUSLY miss that car. Heres a shot of it in its hay day: [IMG][/IMG]
      "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity!"

8. 02-09-2012 02:32 PM #33
      hey AMI.
      Im getting ready to place my order but im a complete suspension n00b. What do the front upper strut mounts and bearing do for this kit? My car has 5k on it, are they necessary? Thanks

9. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-09-2012 05:57 PM #34
      Hello VW Acolyte,

This is not a typo, but you will find that if you look at European application lists, the 50mm strut is the one used on many of the MK5/6 platform based vehicles.

To use your HR preference, check out their Euro App list: http://www.h-r.com/de/f_produktsuche.php

Put VW in the first drop down, and then Golf 5 in the second and hit Suche

You will see that there are 2 different "Federbeinaufnahme" AKA Strut bodies:

°50mm & °55mm

In this case they show one of each strut size for almost every application.

I do not know their purchasing practices at VW, but it is possible they had a surplus of the smaller °50mm shocks and spindles in their system and it was cheaper to use - I really cannot say.

Your research looks to be spot on with what we have found as well, thanks for the independent confirmation!

Let me know if you have any questions!
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

10. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-09-2012 06:04 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by joe.a.michael View Post
      hey AMI.
      Im getting ready to place my order but im a complete suspension n00b. What do the front upper strut mounts and bearing do for this kit? My car has 5k on it, are they necessary? Thanks
      The front upper strut bearings and mounts are the OEM VW parts that you need to have in order to install the coilovers, and are something that is a wearable part.

They are #10 & #11 in the Diagram below:

In your case with a new vehicle you will be able to reuse your factory units (unless your suspension is making noises when you turn...)

But I would bet yours are good.

Thanks!
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

11. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-09-2012 06:52 PM #36
      Thursday Bump!

Keep the questions and orders coming!!!

Thanks
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL Sport
      02-09-2012 07:49 PM #37
      Hello VW Acolyte,

This is not a typo, but you will find that if you look at European application lists, the 50mm strut is the one used on many of the MK5/6 platform based vehicles.

To use your HR preference, check out their Euro App list: http://www.h-r.com/de/f_produktsuche.php

Put VW in the first drop down, and then Golf 5 in the second and hit Suche

You will see that there are 2 different "Federbeinaufnahme" AKA Strut bodies:

°50mm & °55mm

In this case they show one of each strut size for almost every application.

I do not know their purchasing practices at VW, but it is possible they had a surplus of the smaller °50mm shocks and spindles in their system and it was cheaper to use - I really cannot say.

Your research looks to be spot on with what we have found as well, thanks for the independent confirmation!

Let me know if you have any questions!
      Glen @ AMI
      Ah ok, I see what you are saying. That is a bit annoying. But, it appears, at least from what I have seen, that all Mk5's in America got the 55mm, or I'm assuming its the 55mm. Now I just to to find out which ones I have to make sure. Being that I have the SEL Sport, I would imagine it would be the 55mm.

13. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-09-2012 08:01 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by VW Acolyte View Post
      But, it appears, at least from what I have seen, that all Mk5's in America got the 55mm
      This was our experience as well with the MK5's. It was only the Jetta S so far that we have seen with the 50, but we figure it is better safe than sorry.

Nothing worse than waiting 5-7 business days for a delivery and finding out that you have the wrong kit!

Thanks
      Glen @ AMI
      Last edited by eurocollective; 02-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL Sport
      02-09-2012 08:16 PM #39
      This was our experience as well with the MK5's. It was only the Jetta S so far that we have seen with the 50, but we figure it is better safe than sorry.

Nothing worse than waiting 5-7 business days for a delivery and finding out that you have the wrong kit!

Thanks
      Glen @ AMI
      Awesome. This clears up enough for me, thanks for the info. Good talk

15. 02-10-2012 07:16 AM #40
      just placed my order!

16. 02-10-2012 03:14 PM #41
      Anyone have a final answer on whether it'll fit the S?

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL Sport
      02-10-2012 05:51 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Blinddub View Post
      Anyone have a final answer on whether it'll fit the S?
      More than likely not.

18. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-10-2012 08:13 PM #43

TGIF!!!!

All orders that were received before 3PM today are on their way via UPS / FedEx

We will be in and out of the office this weekend, so don't hesitate to send us a PM or email!

Have a great weekend!

Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

19. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-11-2012 06:22 PM #44
      Saturday Update.

All PM's and emails have been responded to and all orders processed in the warehouse.

Thanks!

Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

20. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-13-2012 07:01 PM #45
      Thanks to everyone who Ordered, PM'd or sent in Emails over the weekend

All orders placed by 3:00PM today are on the shipping doc ready for pickup by UPS for domestic or FedEx for International - tracking numbers to follow in your inbox later tonight

Let us know if you have any additional questions

Thanks again,
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

Vehicles
      newest member to my collection Mk6 Gti Red 6spd sunroof and sound upgrade, doing small mods first
      02-13-2012 10:11 PM #46
      hey AMI, will these fit a 2012 tdi jetta sel package no sure about my spring rates...everything i read on here is for gas model..

22. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-14-2012 05:02 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Eurotuner1 View Post
      hey AMI, will these fit a 2012 tdi jetta sel package no sure about my spring rates...everything i read on here is for gas model..
      Hello Eurotuner1, thanks for the question.

Yes these are good to go for your TDI

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

23. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-14-2012 06:30 PM #48
      Tuesday Bump!

All orders from the last 24 hours are on the shipping dock waiting for UPS/FedEx pickup

Thanks again for all the questions and orders!

Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

Vehicles
      newest member to my collection Mk6 Gti Red 6spd sunroof and sound upgrade, doing small mods first
      02-14-2012 11:23 PM #49
      sweet i am settled you guys and your suspension seem really legit and i think ill be much happier with these rather than racelands or st's. my buddy needs coilovers on his mk5 rabbit sorry these fit that car also?

25. Banner Advertiser eurocollective's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT 225Q
      02-15-2012 12:48 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Eurotuner1 View Post
      sweet i am settled you guys and your suspension seem really legit and i think ill be much happier with these rather than racelands or st's. my buddy needs coilovers on his mk5 rabbit sorry these fit that car also?
      Sounds good!

Yes the MK5 & MK6 Chassis (AKA PQ35) are the same fitment so you are both good to go!

Thanks!
      Glen @ AMI
      eurocollective
      sales@eurocollective.com

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast