Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Recommend me a tmo smart phone

1. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      01-31-2012 10:18 PM #1
      My Att contract will be up in a few months and instead of upgrading phones I'd like to switch to a cheaper pre paid. I've considered Tmobile because of the 4g speeds and ample selection of smart phones. I believe the plans are around 65 a month and I'm paying 95 with my captivate. I know it sucks paying for a phone outright but they get you one way or another right? I don't need a top of the line phone and the one thing i love about about Androids is ability to run different roms. Thanks texers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by SLK350 View Post
      Penises have everything to do with science.

2. 02-01-2012 11:19 AM #2
      HTC Amaze or Samsung Galaxy S II

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      02-01-2012 11:35 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      HTC Amaze or Samsung Galaxy S II
      This or wait.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

4. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      02-01-2012 01:35 PM #4
      thanks...i have the galaxy s and like it just wish it was...better.

5. 02-01-2012 01:35 PM #5
      S2 is much better.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      02-01-2012 01:49 PM #6
      S2 is much better.
      Im assuming you own one? Have you played around with roms or just left it stock?

7. 02-01-2012 01:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by redgeeteeeye View Post
      Im assuming you own one? Have you played around with roms or just left it stock?

No, I own a Galaxy Nexus which is still stock. But I've played with an SG2, and just based on feedback, it's much improved over the original. And there are ICS Roms available for the SG2 already, with official release coming soon.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      02-01-2012 02:17 PM #8
      No, I own a Galaxy Nexus which is still stock. But I've played with an SG2, and just based on feedback, it's much improved over the original. And there are ICS Roms available for the SG2 already, with official release coming soon.
      Gotta love those XDAers..thanks man..you def think I can just use a tmo pre paid sim in any old tmobile phone?

02-01-2012 02:22 PM #9
      My Att contract will be up in a few months and instead of upgrading phones I'd like to switch to a cheaper pre paid. I've considered Tmobile because of the 4g speeds and ample selection of smart phones. I believe the plans are around 65 a month and I'm paying 95 with my captivate. I know it sucks paying for a phone outright but they get you one way or another right? I don't need a top of the line phone and the one thing i love about about Androids is ability to run different roms. Thanks texers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
      Doing the same thing but from sprint to Tmobile Prepaid, (can't beat the $30 month for 100min, unlimited txt, 5gb data plan). I have only gone over 100min in a month twice in the past year, and I'm in a sprint WiMax area about that often also. I have the Nexus S 4G on sprint and just picked up a used GSM Nexus S for Tmo.

10. 02-01-2012 02:22 PM #10
      Gotta love those XDAers..thanks man..you def think I can just use a tmo pre paid sim in any old tmobile phone?
      Well, no I don't know I know the original Samsung Galaxy S works with their pre-paid sims though, so I suspect you won't have an issue.

02-01-2012 02:41 PM #11
      Well, no I don't know I know the original Samsung Galaxy S works with their pre-paid sims though, so I suspect you won't have an issue.
      Any Tmobile phone will work with their Prepaid, unlike AT&T which only allows certain phones to use their prepaid and even then doesn't allow them to connect to their HSPA+

12. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      02-01-2012 02:54 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SSj4G60 View Post
      Any Tmobile phone will work with their Prepaid, unlike AT&T which only allows certain phones to use their prepaid and even then doesn't allow them to connect to their HSPA+
      Thanks for clearing that Im not crazy about dropping 2,3,400 bucks on a nice smart phone upfront. But ill forget about it as soon as I make a cheaper monthly payment. How do you like the Nexus S?

13. 02-01-2012 03:01 PM #13
      You could bring your captivate over to t-mobile, but it won't be able to connect to the 3G/"4G" networks, so you'll be stuck on 2G.

14. 02-01-2012 03:14 PM #14
      My HTC Amaze works on prepaid no prob. Also, paying for a phone upfront and then using prepaid is the way to go if you want to save money. You will make up the difference in 6-18 months depending on what plan you use. You will come out ahead within two years for sure. In fact, I can't believe people still get suckered into plans that lock you in and then automatically renew everytime you make some minor change or upgrade. Screw that.

Edit: also, if you pay retail for the phone, you qualify to get the unlock code immediately from Tmo But the sim unlock team at Tmo can be real aholes so you have to keep pushing them. They sent me my unlock code in about 13 days after purchase.
      Last edited by vwconvert; 02-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.

02-01-2012 03:28 PM #15
      Thanks for clearing that Im not crazy about dropping 2,3,400 bucks on a nice smart phone upfront. But ill forget about it as soon as I make a cheaper monthly payment. How do you like the Nexus S?
      I've been happy with it, ICS runs great on it (well CM9). I picked it up for $260 used on XDA.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      02-01-2012 05:08 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by vwconvert View Post

Edit: also, if you pay retail for the phone, you qualify to get the unlock code immediately from Tmo But the sim unlock team at Tmo can be real aholes so you have to keep pushing them. They sent me my unlock code in about 13 days after purchase.
      sorry im a bit derp today..can you reiterate on the whole unlock code thing..say I do what SSj does and buys a phone from a place other than a tmobile store. Do I still have to go threw the pain of getting the unlock code from unlock team?

17. 02-01-2012 07:28 PM #17
      Unfortunately, if the phone is through T-mobile, you have to go through the unlock team. No way around it. You place a request with a representative who then files it with the unlock team.
      That is why I will not buy another unlocked phone through Tmo in the future; it's just a lot easier to get an unlocked phone from Negri Electronics which is reputable and generally has better prices. But if you insist on getting it through T-Mobile, see the last bullet:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

Follow it to the letter or the sim unlock team will screw you. I followed it to the letter and even then it was a hassle.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      beater/broke status
      02-01-2012 11:36 PM #18
      You could bring your captivate over to t-mobile, but it won't be able to connect to the 3G/"4G" networks, so you'll be stuck on 2G.
      I was under the impression I wouldnt get internet at all with my Att captivate..only be able to phone calls? If I could run a tmo chip for the time being with slower speeds id deal with it.

02-02-2012 11:25 AM #19
      You could, but you'd have to make sure the phone is unlocked first.

02-10-2012 08:13 AM #20
      Amaze!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk
      2012 MKVI Jetta GLI / 2008 Civic Si Sedan / 2007 Mazdaspeed 6 / 2004 MKIV Jetta GLI (1.8T) / 1996 MKIII Jetta GLX VR6

https://twitter.com/Flyin18T