Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recaro child seats

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      02-01-2012 12:13 AM #1
      Five weeks to go, before baby comes, and I need to buy 2nd car seat, for my car. I have been looking at Recaro ProRide, but they have very limited colors available. I also found Recaro Euro Convertible that is $50-100 less than ProRide.
      I have two questions:
      -Does anyone have experience with Recaro seats, if so pleas share
      -Does anyone know the difference between ProRide and Euro Convertible (other than price)?
      Thanks,
      Nedim

02-01-2012 10:51 AM #2
      I'm not sure if you mean 5 weeks till your child is born, or 5 weeks till an adopted child arrives?

Reason for asking: The ProRide (we have one) is for infants of a certain weight/height (escapes me now), but basically that can hold themselves upright. You'll start out with it rear-facing and then turn it around later.

The only quibble I have with our proride is that it is quite bulky, but I don't think anyone has made a car seat since 1985 that I wouldn't consider bulky.

I believe the euro-convertible is the one that is not rated for use in the US (though I am sure it is plenty safe), and may not conform to the latest latch/etc requirements? This is what I recall from our time researching the seats - but it has been well over a year.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      02-02-2012 03:17 PM #3
      Thanks for the reply. For clarification my wife's due date is 5 weeks out, so this would be for a new born. We already have infant car seat that came with the stroller (graco if i recall correctly). She will use the infant seat as primary, for the first few months, and Proride would be put in use once we start taking baby to the day care, i am hoping by that time it should be ok. Other than being bulky how do you like proride?

4. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      02-02-2012 03:53 PM #4
      Can't comment on the Recaro because we are still using a Graco infant seat, but we are looking at getting a convertible car seat when my daughter outgrows the infant seat.

Have you read the amazon reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Recaro-ProRIDE...8215821&sr=8-1

02-03-2012 05:27 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      Thanks for the reply. For clarification my wife's due date is 5 weeks out, so this would be for a new born. We already have infant car seat that came with the stroller (graco if i recall correctly). She will use the infant seat as primary, for the first few months, and Proride would be put in use once we start taking baby to the day care, i am hoping by that time it should be ok. Other than being bulky how do you like proride?
      Just make sure you check the weights out and that the seat is appropriate for your child. The proride has a low "entry weight", but it is (to me) built for a bigger baby, and the straps are positioned as such. I'd expect you're just going to need to get an extra base for the infant carrier for your car.

We like the Recaro. It is built really well, matches all of the "best rated" seats in safety features, and is super easy to adjust - which is important because these days we are constantly adjusting back and forth due to jackets/etc. Because we have an SUV, it is actually a bit difficult for my wife to put her in and out right now due to the height (and her pregnancy) - but it's a good fit for us.

6. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      02-03-2012 07:31 AM #6
      According to Amazon reviewers, Recaro has an infant insert that they will send you if you need it. So, you are correct, as its sold, it's not suitable for a tiny baby.

Vehicles
      '04 GTI, '12 Camry SE
      02-03-2012 10:12 AM #7
      We have a ProRide and ProSport seats. ProRide is rated for max weight of 70lbs and ProSport is up to 120lbs. Our son is 21 months and while only around 27lbs he fits fine and does not complain. I doubt he will fit the seat by the time he will be even 50lbs. With a winter jacket on he fits snugly. ProRide is holds him fine even with a heavy winter jacket.

Vehicles
      Mk6 JSW TDI and Mk4 Jetta VR6
      02-03-2012 11:00 AM #8
      HI, ok. so my question is. We adopted our son when he was 10 days old and he is very tall. He will be a year old on Valentine's Day and he is already 32 in and weighs about 21 lbs. He is in an infant carrier, and it fits him well. We are looking into buying one that will hopefully last him for a few years and one that hopefully converts to a booster. I have been looking at the options that Recaro has and I still don't know which one will be best.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Brewtus
      Forever you will be missed.
      Nov 26, 2004 - Feb 20, 2010

Vehicles
      '04 GTI, '12 Camry SE
      02-03-2012 11:12 AM #9
      ProSport is a convertible and booster in one. It will serve you longer.

Vehicles
      02-03-2012 11:38 AM #10
      Awesome! Thanks!
      Brewtus

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-05-2012 12:39 PM #11
      We have two Recaro Signo G2 carseats for our twins. They are rated 5-70lbs so we were able to use them from the start.

I love the seats and the boys seem to like them too.

02-05-2012 09:12 PM #12
      I recommend starting with a Chicco set, if you can, or something similar.....for new borns/infants, you want lightweight, easy to carry & something that clips into a seat base in the car, on a stroller, and can be used for the baby to sleep, if it turns out to be that sorta baby.

once they come close to out growing that setup, buy a recaro signo G2...I have 2 of them & love them, and so does my daughter..........

13. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      02-05-2012 10:36 PM #13
      Recaro Signo is no longer made.

Its just ProRide, ProSport, and ProBooster now. They are all for US market only and made in the USA.

We started with a ProRide as a baby and are still using it at 15 months currently and have also purchased a ProSport for other other car.

They are really great seats and one of the safest along with Diono which used to be called Sunshine Kids.
      Last edited by Shawn O; 02-05-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Vehicles
      02-07-2012 11:58 AM #14
      I just bought the Recaro Prosport in Midnight this morning. Now we are looking for a less bulky stroller. We have the matching stroller for his infant carrier, but now we are looking to rid of all the bulk.

Any ideas?
      Brewtus

15. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      02-07-2012 11:59 AM #15
      There are some nice folding Chico ones you can get at Babies R Us for $50-75.

There are some new color ProSports and ProRides coming out this month in red/black, pink/black, etc...they posted them on their facebook page a while ago.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      02-07-2012 01:19 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
      There are some new color ProSports and ProRides coming out this month in red/black, pink/black, etc...they posted them on their facebook page a while ago.
      I just ordered ProRide in "Blaze," previously I was looking at a "Hanna" one. Bit red one will go better with mu GTi interier. JK, we were going to order pink one but in case our second child is boy, i think red is better than pink. Only downside is Blaze is not available for a month or so.
      Hanna:

Blaze:

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      98 jetta gl, 06 gti
      02-07-2012 08:45 PM #17

18. 02-12-2012 11:32 AM #18
      i bought a recaro signo (como) for my sisters daughter a few years ago. it worked out perfect as a newborn rear facing seat. and now 3 years later shes still using it front facing. FYI it does also fit in a mk4 EASILY.

NOW, my wife and i are having our first born in a few months and i already purchased her recaro seat too but since the singo is out of production, we had to get the proride which looks identical just different shaped padding.

what are these infant inserts you guys are talking about? is it the flimy back pad with the built in neck cushions? i believe the seats ive purchased came with those already.
      formerly TVarmy04 & DUBMANG
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      02-14-2012 12:27 PM #19
      check out the laws.
      the length of time a baby should be in a rear facing seat might surprise you.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      '04 GTI, '12 Camry SE
      02-14-2012 12:41 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      check out the laws.
      Not a law, but a recommendation from the Pediatric Association. It's all about statistics. Frontal crashes are most common so the baby should be facing rear to reduce life threatening injuries. If rear-ended though, you want your kid facing forward.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      02-14-2012 12:47 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMind View Post
      Not a law, but a recommendation from the Pediatric Association. It's all about statistics. Frontal crashes are most common so the baby should be facing rear to reduce life threatening injuries. If rear-ended though, you want your kid facing forward.
      you could be right. maybe not a law, but a suggestion.
      i havent looked at all the info yet. my kid is still 4+ months away.

we bought a single rear facing seat so far.
      we will be getting a 2nd base for this seat, so its easy to pop the whole assembly from car to car.

some stuff i just found and need to look through.

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/0_legalIP.htm

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...fety_laws.html
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      '04 GTI, '12 Camry SE
      02-14-2012 12:54 PM #22
      you could be right. maybe not a law, but a suggestion.
      i havent looked at all the info yet. my kid is still 4+ months away.

we bought a single rear facing seat so far.
      we will be getting a 2nd base for this seat, so its easy to pop the whole assembly from car to car.

some stuff i just found and need to look through.

http://www.carseat.org/Legal/0_legalIP.htm

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...fety_laws.html
      Congrats.
      We have a second one on the way.

I've looked into all the crap already. The location of the baby seat might be a law, but orientation is not. My son likes to face the front so he can see everything. This also helps if he wants a drink or eat all of a sudden. I can just pull over and reach over to him without getting out.

02-14-2012 12:58 PM #23
      check out the laws.
      The pro-ride can go rear or front facing.

24. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      02-16-2012 11:34 AM #24
      check out the laws.
      The doctor told us one year old and/or 30 pounds. We turned the Recaro around last year a week before his first birthday.

The Recaro we have is AWESOME, but it's VERY bulky. It doesn't fit correctly in my Subaru Impreza without the passenger seat slid way up, same in the Cherokee. It won't fit behind EITHER seat in my MK2 Jetta, so Daniel rides in the middle, kicking my elbow the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      02-16-2012 01:35 PM #25
      Update: I ordered a proride in "blaze" red, it is on back order and should be coming shipping in the next 2 weeks or so. But i was on CL other night and i came across one in Blue (opal), new listed for $200, i picked it up for $180. blue one is for my wife's car(once she overgrows the baby seat).

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      06-07-2012 01:01 PM #26
      found this forum googling same question. difference between Euro and ProRide.

just to be clear. Pro Ride is 5lbs-35lbs rear facing, and 20-70lbs forward facing

any updates from the guys who used these with a infant? curious what the outcome was. post up!
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post
      Your car is powder blue, and calling something "jazz" anything doesn't make it less gay.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      06-07-2012 01:23 PM #27
      i have yet to use our recaros. It would pe imposible to use(as rear facing) in my 2dr gti so we got an infant seat/stroller combo, it is very convenient. I think if you buy it on line ou will have to buy additional insert for an infant. I plan to install recaros and discontinue use of infant seat once she is big enough for front facing position.

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      06-07-2012 01:27 PM #28
      i have yet to use our recaros. It would pe imposible to use(as rear facing) in my 2dr gti so we got an infant seat/stroller combo, it is very convenient. I think if you buy it on line ou will have to buy additional insert for an infant. I plan to install recaros and discontinue use of infant seat once she is big enough for front facing position.
      thanks for update, what about putting in the center of your gti? i have a b5 audi so not sure how well it will fit. however i came across some information you would be interested in. if you call
      1-888-9recaro and tell them you purchased a pro ride they will mail you a free infant insert for it.
      Your car is powder blue, and calling something "jazz" anything doesn't make it less gay.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      06-07-2012 02:00 PM #29
      i have yet to use our recaros. It would pe imposible to use(as rear facing) in my 2dr gti...
      Seriously? We used TWO Signo G2s in my 3-door MkV.

Vehicles
      06-10-2012 09:30 PM #30

Patrick and his Recaro
      Brewtus

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      06-10-2012 09:39 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Seriously? We used TWO Signo G2s in my 3-door MkV.
      not sure if you read my post correctly, i was saying it would be impossible to use as rear facing seats. i am big guy 6'4 about 280 lbs and crawling back there is a pain without a child in my arms.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      06-11-2012 10:24 AM #32
      Bought this one for our little guy. He loves it. He was really excited to finally get turned around a month or so ago.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      06-11-2012 02:56 PM #33
      glad everyone likes this, first time daddy right here come Jan. boy or girl, im deff gonna have this seat before they come.

Vehicles
      Audi TT quattro coupe. F350 7.3 turbo diesel. BMW X3 ///M Sport. VW Tiguan SE
      06-25-2012 03:59 PM #34
      I'm also looking at the pro ride...it says ...

Rear-facing: appropriate for children who are 37.5" tall or less and who weigh 5 to 35 pounds/ forward facing: appropriate for children who are 50" tall or less and who weigh 20 to 70 pounds

So I'm assuming this meas it can be used from day 1 all the way up to when the kid is 4ft tall and/or 70lbs...for the $2-300 it seems like a pretty good deal on a well known and well made brand...now just have to decide on a color...the blue or the all grey
      PSN: kennyfcknpowers

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      06-25-2012 04:03 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by TTurboNegro View Post
      So I'm assuming this meas it can be used from day 1 all the way up to when the kid is 4ft tall and/or 70lbs.
      yesm just make sure you order "infant insert." Also if you plan on taking your kid places it might be PITA to put in and take out your shiled every time you need to get out of the car. our baby is 4 mo old today, and she has yet to use reccaros (yes she has two ) we will wait unti she is 6 months and than we will put her in front facing as well.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast