Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recaro child seats

Vehicles
      95 Golf 2.0, 97 Jetta 2.0
      06-25-2012 10:27 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      Bought this one for our little guy. He loves it. He was really excited to finally get turned around a month or so ago.

this is awesome! you have a lucky kid haha

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      06-26-2012 10:42 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      yesm just make sure you order "infant insert." Also if you plan on taking your kid places it might be PITA to put in and take out your shiled every time you need to get out of the car. our baby is 4 mo old today, and she has yet to use reccaros (yes she has two ) we will wait unti she is 6 months and than we will put her in front facing as well.
      i feel like such a noob. what is PITA and what shield?
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post
      Your car is powder blue, and calling something "jazz" anything doesn't make it less gay.

Vehicles
      mk2 vr, mk4 vr
      07-02-2012 05:16 PM #38
      PITA=pain in the arse

I have no idea what a shield is but
      FWIW- I love my recaro seat

Vehicles
      '04 GTI, '12 Camry SE
      07-03-2012 10:52 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JsmokeVR6 View Post
      i feel like such a noob. what is PITA and what shield?
      it's a typo. Poster meant to type child.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      07-03-2012 04:13 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMind View Post
      it's a typo. Poster meant to type child.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat S manual
      07-10-2012 12:20 PM #41
      yesm just make sure you order "infant insert." Also if you plan on taking your kid places it might be PITA to put in and take out your shiled every time you need to get out of the car. our baby is 4 mo old today, and she has yet to use reccaros (yes she has two ) we will wait unti she is 6 months and than we will put her in front facing as well.
      I would not move your child forward facing at 6 mos, that is a bad idea

07-10-2012 02:15 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubbin View Post
      I would not move your child forward facing at 6 mos, that is a bad idea
      Who's doing what? I didn't see that.

I think the american pediatric assn. (or whatever) says two years, now. Which I imagine would be hell. we turned our daughter around at 1.5ish.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      07-10-2012 02:45 PM #43
      We almost made it to 2 years, but came up short. He was getting totally pissed at being backwards and his legs were completely squished. They say 2 years or 30lbs as I recall.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

07-11-2012 05:38 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by SAPJetta View Post
      We almost made it to 2 years, but came up short. He was getting totally pissed at being backwards and his legs were completely squished. They say 2 years or 30lbs as I recall.
      Yes...the lack of room is what pisses them off the most.

My wife said something to the DR about the one year mark...and the doc replied, well, i'd push for 1.5yo...we say 2 now, because it is easier to fix their legs than broken necks.

Well, at least she was brutally honest.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      07-11-2012 10:08 PM #45
      our baby was pushing 17lbs @ 4mo checkup, i cant see her last to 2yo in rear facing.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      07-12-2012 01:25 AM #46
      If you get rear ended having the car seat forward facing is safer.

07-12-2012 04:48 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
      If you get rear ended having the car seat forward facing is safer.
      Everyone says this, but the most dangerous impacts are the ones from the front (higher speed impacts), so the kid is supported throughout head and torso for that...not just on belts with a big head flopping around.

Basically, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. We just did our best to follow the dr.'s advice for as long as practical.

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      08-06-2012 10:00 AM #48
      new color i found at buy buy baby web site. getting closer for my purchase. only couple more months. think i may get this color.

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=40175683&
      Your car is powder blue, and calling something "jazz" anything doesn't make it less gay.

14. 08-06-2012 10:07 AM #49
      2month report... my infant girl (at 12lbs) loves her recaro proride. and she can comfortably sleep in it. the only negative is in my mkv jetta the ac doesnt get to her as well since its so bulky so i have to blast the ac for a few minutes to stabalize the air inthe rear for her. but after that PERFECT!
      formerly TVarmy04 & DUBMANG
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit 2.5, 14 Escape 2.0 awd
      08-06-2012 02:27 PM #50
      Currently my 9 month old 23lb son has been using Peg Perego Viaggio has been a great seat so far and love the base function my wife has one in her car and I have one. Having a two door car its been nice to quickly move the seat from car to car at the push of a button.

So my question for you all is does Recaro offer anything like this for the next stage of seating since he is quickly getting to the weight limit of the current seat? Or do you know of any other manfacture doing somehting like this? Taking a seat from a 2dr car to drop off at daycare and then have my wife put in her car and start all over the next day doesnt sound like fun unless we had 3 seats for him. I would love to have a Recaro for him but if it doesnt fit my budget or needs than it may not happen.

Vehicles
      08-06-2012 11:31 PM #51
      So did some more research and I guess thats a no. Why doesnt anyone come up with a seat for toddlers that has a base for families that have more than one car is beyond me???

Anyways it looks like we will be getting the Recaro Proride it would have be nice to have the sport but it isnt meant to be rear facing so that seat is out. ProRide is $70 more than the Euro but the Euro doesnt have the LATCH system which is a really nice feature for painless car swaping. I will report back once we order and start using the seat.

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      08-07-2012 07:26 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by vwluger22 View Post
      So did some more research and I guess thats a no. Why doesnt anyone come up with a seat for toddlers that has a base for families that have more than one car is beyond me???

Anyways it looks like we will be getting the Recaro Proride it would have be nice to have the sport but it isnt meant to be rear facing so that seat is out. ProRide is $70 more than the Euro but the Euro doesnt have the LATCH system which is a really nice feature for painless car swaping. I will report back once we order and start using the seat.
      from what ive read, with convertible seats they do not make innerchangeable bases. only with the carriers.

i do agree they are expensive, however if you live near a buy buy baby store. they will match online prices if you show them on your phone, like amazon etc. or you can use bed bath and beyond coupons there as long as they are not expired.

i drove a hour up to one Saturday because they bring seats outside to show you how they fit in your car, but they didnt have any prorides for me to test with. may call the next one before driving so far. lol

Vehicles
      08-07-2012 09:09 AM #53
      from what ive read, with convertible seats they do not make innerchangeable bases. only with the carriers.

i do agree they are expensive, however if you live near a buy buy baby store. they will match online prices if you show them on your phone, like amazon etc. or you can use bed bath and beyond coupons there as long as they are not expired.

i drove a hour up to one Saturday because they bring seats outside to show you how they fit in your car, but they didnt have any prorides for me to test with. may call the next one before driving so far. lol
      Good to know about he coupons same company I assume?

I will have to call my local store to see if they have a seat to test fit.

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      08-07-2012 12:25 PM #54
      Good to know about he coupons same company I assume?

I will have to call my local store to see if they have a seat to test fit.
      yes bed bath owns buy buy baby. closest one for me is hour away. so Bed Bath now has a whole baby section in the store near my house. but no recaro

Vehicles
      2013 Sepang Blue Audi S6, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      08-07-2012 12:49 PM #55
      yesm just make sure you order "infant insert." Also if you plan on taking your kid places it might be PITA to put in and take out your shiled every time you need to get out of the car.
      First baby is due 9/24, and so this is all a little new to me. I want to use the ProRide, but my wife has a few concerns:
      1) The "infant insert" is basically just something to help support the head/neck for the first few months, correct? Also, is it free? And, to be sure I had it in time, could I conceivably call Recaro and ask for it today, or will they ask for proof-of-purchase?
      2) Is this seat considered "removable"? My wife seems to think that due to the size, its really designed for a more "permanent" installation, meaning you don't take it out regularly (for example, at the grocery store).

Thanks guys!

Vehicles
      08-07-2012 01:12 PM #56
      yes bed bath owns buy buy baby. closest one for me is hour away. so Bed Bath now has a whole baby section in the store near my house. but no recaro
      Cool the closest store to me is about a hour away and the bed bath in town is to small for a baby section.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
      First baby is due 9/24, and so this is all a little new to me. I want to use the ProRide, but my wife has a few concerns:
      1) The "infant insert" is basically just something to help support the head/neck for the first few months, correct? Also, is it free? And, to be sure I had it in time, could I conceivably call Recaro and ask for it today, or will they ask for proof-of-purchase?
      2) Is this seat considered "removable"? My wife seems to think that due to the size, its really designed for a more "permanent" installation, meaning you don't take it out regularly (for example, at the grocery store).

Thanks guys!
      Congrats!

The proride is not meant to be removed and carry around like you can with a infant seat that has a base. I would recomend getting a infant seat to use for a few months to a year what we are doing right now. It sucks that we have to purchase another car seats plus a booster at some point but the convenience of the infant carrier has been so nice to have!

Base: Simply click and go so easy to get baby in and out of car with out waking them up and we have one for both cars.

Seat/base:

Vehicles
      2013 Sepang Blue Audi S6, 2014 Scuba Blue Audi Q5
      08-07-2012 01:24 PM #57
      Congrats!

The proride is not meant to be removed and carry around like you can with a infant seat that has a base. I would recomend getting a infant seat to use for a few months to a year what we are doing right now. It sucks that we have to purchase another car seats plus a booster at some point but the convenience of the infant carrier has been so nice to have!
      Ah, makes infinitely more sense now. Thanks. Unfortunately, its going to be tough for you or I to check them out in person at Buy Buy Baby; only the Braintree store lists any availability (Nashua has none in any color). If you find them somewhere else local, let me know (I'm in Derry).

Vehicles
      08-07-2012 01:36 PM #58
      The search begins for a local Recaro vendor.

08-07-2012 03:11 PM #59
      The search begins for a local Recaro vendor.
      Good luck. We just said to hell with that and got it thru amazon.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      08-07-2012 04:10 PM #60
      Check your local craigslist, we got brand new one for 180.
      Sarajevo, Horde Zla, Bog i Carsija

Vehicles
      Audi b5 a4
      08-08-2012 07:57 AM #61
      holly sh*t i have to retype all this for some reason, post never went up.

Congrats Nobbyv, im right behind you with Jan due date. figures i wont get that 2012 tax write off

most convertible car seats from what i have seen are not designed to be conveniently moved between cars.

there is also lots of mixed reviews all over the web from when you can safely use the proride. i've read both newborns, and 1/2 years. only problem is that rear facing seats have no leg room. MD is pushing for a 2 year rear facing requirement. right now its only 1 year requirement.

i get to hear heart beat for first time this afternoon . then we find out sex for my birthday first week of Sept so we can argue more over names. haha

as far as the infant insert. im not sure what it is, or if it is requires proof of purchase to recaro to request it. worse case is you call and ask. let us know if you do. curious myself now.

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      08-14-2012 05:36 PM #62
      our baby was pushing 17lbs @ 4mo checkup, i cant see her last to 2yo in rear facing.
      fat behby! get in mah belleh! j/k

our boy was born at 6lbs.
      2 months in he was only 7.10, so while it might happen i do not foresee him piling on another 10lbs in the next 2 months.
      epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      08-14-2012 11:15 PM #63
      We have 6mo coming up on 27th, i got my money on 22-23 lbs, and 25-26". Daddy is 6'4 and mommy is 5'11 we expected big baby

08-15-2012 06:29 PM #64
      Nedim is reproducing?!?! Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

(We have #2 on the way, too)
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2010 JSW, 2010 GTi
      08-15-2012 09:32 PM #65
      and i have just started Congrats Mike!

31. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      08-28-2012 11:16 PM #66
      So, hubby and I are looking for a convertible car seat for our 1 year old. She's closing in on the height limit for her Graco Snugride 35 and I want to get a new seat before hubby deploys.

Has anyone here successfully rear faced the Recaro Proride? I'd like to keep her rear facing as long as we can, or at least another 12 months. We have a b5.5 passat wagon, fwiw.

If I can't get it to rear face, then I'm probably going to go with the Britax Marathon 70, since I'm 99% positive that one will work.

Input appreciated!

Vehicles
      08-28-2012 11:57 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjunkie View Post
      So, hubby and I are looking for a convertible car seat for our 1 year old. She's closing in on the height limit for her Graco Snugride 35 and I want to get a new seat before hubby deploys.

Has anyone here successfully rear faced the Recaro Proride? I'd like to keep her rear facing as long as we can, or at least another 12 months. We have a b5.5 passat wagon, fwiw.

If I can't get it to rear face, then I'm probably going to go with the Britax Marathon 70, since I'm 99% positive that one will work.

Input appreciated!
      Look up proride on amazon they have a ton of reviews my wife and I will be ordering one soon for our son since he is close to the weight limit of his infant carrier. Someone had a picture of it rear facing in a MKVI jetta and someone else with a 04 R32:. mentioned they had no problems making it work.

The proride is made to be rear facing or forward facing we plan and want to keep it rear facing as long as week can or until he is two aswell. I plan on using it in both of our cars 08 2dr rabbit and MKVI jetta I will take pictures once we get it for everyone to see. I cant really see why it would be a issue to make it work in your passat.

33. 08-29-2012 12:12 AM #68
      ill post pics that it does work in a mk4 jetta front/rear facing

ill post pics that show it does work in a mk5 jetta rear (so far)

brb... also an fyi this is NOT meant to be used as a mobil station.. fk that, its too bulky to pull in and out of my 23" ftg jetta..
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

08-29-2012 05:44 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjunkie View Post

Has anyone here successfully rear faced the Recaro Proride? I'd like to keep her rear facing as long as we can, or at least another 12 months. We have a b5.5 passat wagon, fwiw

Input appreciated!
      YES.

Daughter #1 got into the pro-ride rear facing at around 3-4mo (too tall and heavy for a carrier anymore), and stayed rear facing till around 1.5(docs reccomend to staty rear-facing for 2 years).
      Daughter #2 is now in the pro-ride rear-facing - got in around 4mo, as well. Daughter #1 rides in a ProSport now, which we really like.

I don't recall if the LATCH system works in the rear-facing configuration. I know I tried it and wasn't happy, so I just used the seatbelt. With the proRide you do need to watch that level-bar, I use a cut-down pool noodle at the 'hinge' or where the seat meets the seatback to get the angle correct. The pool noodle doesn't collect crap(crumbs, dirt, etc) like a rolled up towell will.

edit - It's important for me to note that due to the design of the seat (High sides and back), in the summer the rear-facing kiddo will not get the airflow or cool down as quickly as mom and pops up front. We just fired up the car early when possible to try and cool it down before strapping in (hatehatehate you "idling your car is the devil" folks)
      Last edited by Tornado2dr; 08-29-2012 at 07:11 AM.

35. 08-29-2012 10:39 AM #70
      haha ill have to use a pool noodle and cut the angle since im currently using a towel to level it lmao!

and my daughter has been using the pro ride since month 2
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast