Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How Can I Get A Lupo to the U.S. and registered in Pennsylvania?

Vehicles
      2003 Windstar
      02-01-2012 07:05 AM #1
      from the first time i saw a lupo i just had to stop and stare at it. now that i'm a little older and have the money i'd love to have one of my own. i've only done a little bit of searching so far and i've found different things, so i'm not sure whats right and what's incorrect. so far i've found:

you can't register a lupo whatsoever in the united states.
      you can register a lupo in the US as a golf.
      you have to know people and have a lot of connections.
      the title has to be creatively written in order for the lupo to be driveable in the US.

i really feel as if i havent found anything all that useful so far. any help, tips, or pointers would be greatly appreciated. has anybody else in the US gone through getting a lupo shipped here and registered legally to be driven on the streets?

Vehicles
      2003 Windstar
      02-08-2012 06:41 AM #2
      80 views and still no help?

somebody else out there has to think that these are amazingly cool cars and it would be awesome to own one, not to mention the outstanding gas mileage. i can't be the only one interested in getting a Lupo into the united states and registered/driveable. guess i just have to keep searching.

Vehicles
      03 vw gti, 94 vr6 passat, 99 ford ranger, 05 gsxr 750
      02-08-2012 01:17 PM #3
      I've heard that it's possible, but ridiculously expensive to do. It wouldn't be worth the cost for such an inexpensive car. I have looked into it myself because they look amazing and on one else would have one. I only looked briefly as i found it costs thousands and is more of a hassle than it's worth. I could be completely wrong, but it would have been done at least a handful of times already if it were worth it.

Vehicles
      2003 Windstar
      02-09-2012 07:18 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverstoneMKIV View Post
      I've heard that it's possible, but ridiculously expensive to do. It wouldn't be worth the cost for such an inexpensive car. I have looked into it myself because they look amazing and on one else would have one. I only looked briefly as i found it costs thousands and is more of a hassle than it's worth. I could be completely wrong, but it would have been done at least a handful of times already if it were worth it.
      thats pretty much what i've found so far too and my thoughts exactly, no one else would have one and theyre so inexpensive. not to mention the amazing gas mileage they get. i think the low cost of the car would compensate for the expenses of getting it here. i talked to a friend who researched getting some asian car (skyline or something) into the united states and he found thats its not all that hard to get here its just a matter of getting it registered and street legal

Vehicles
      03 vw gti, 94 vr6 passat, 99 ford ranger, 05 gsxr 750
      02-09-2012 07:08 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by SonnyinPA View Post
      thats pretty much what i've found so far too and my thoughts exactly, no one else would have one and theyre so inexpensive. not to mention the amazing gas mileage they get. i think the low cost of the car would compensate for the expenses of getting it here. i talked to a friend who researched getting some asian car (skyline or something) into the united states and he found thats its not all that hard to get here its just a matter of getting it registered and street legal
      well, if you find a group rate for shipping them here, let me know, im down.

Vehicles
      2003 Windstar
      02-10-2012 06:53 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverstoneMKIV View Post
      well, if you find a group rate for shipping them here, let me know, im down.
      sure thing!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      98 jetta tdi
      02-19-2012 01:42 AM #7
      I also looked into it, I want one real bad but had no luck yet either.

still searching tho

Vehicles
      2003 Windstar
      02-21-2012 07:45 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIBill317 View Post
      I also looked into it, I want one real bad but had no luck yet either.

still searching tho
      they're such amazingly cool cars!! i cant believe there isn't more of a demand for them here. i was watching on the news this morning that they're predicting gas prices to go over $5 this summer, maybe that'll motivate people to push for smaller diesel cars in the U.S.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 20th AE BMP #3955
      02-29-2012 12:12 AM #9
      I am PCSing to Italy in April. I have already done some research in importing a non-US car. My original plan was to import a 5 door MKV R32 6 speed. Well that went out the window when I was told it would cost 15,000-40,000 yes 40,000 to convert to US specs and become a legal car. That cost plus the time the car has to be sitting on port plus the time to get the paperwork done and get the conversion finished made me realize it really isn't financially smart to partake in it.
      20th GTI #3955

My "Build" Thread

10. 03-09-2012 09:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by r2kool4u View Post
      I am PCSing to Italy in April. I have already done some research in importing a non-US car. My original plan was to import a 5 door MKV R32 6 speed. Well that went out the window when I was told it would cost 15,000-40,000 yes 40,000 to convert to US specs and become a legal car. That cost plus the time the car has to be sitting on port plus the time to get the paperwork done and get the conversion finished made me realize it really isn't financially smart to partake in it.
      And that was for a car that at least shares its bodyshell with a US-compliant model and which has a corresponding version of that engine which is EPA-certified in another version of that car.

For a model that has no corresponding US version, and which has engines that are not EPA certified in ANY form, it's now up to you to prove that the engines conform to EPA emission standards (which they might not) and that the vehicle bodyshell conforms to the crash standards (which means you have to bring in more vehicles for crash testing and pay for the crash testing - and it might not comply and the parts to make it comply might not exist or it might not even be technically possible at all).

Forget about it.

You can bring it in without going through the EPA and crash-testing hurdles when it's 25 years old.

Vehicles
      95 Cabrio TDI, 01 Beetle TDI, 96 B4V TDI on air
      04-07-2012 10:52 PM #11
      I'm working on filling a shipping contain in the Netherlands this summer, maybe I can stick a half cut in there and you can build your own. I have personally seen with my own eyes a 1.4L TDI Lupo engine in a Rabbit truck in California and he used a half cut. Better be prepared to spend some bucks though. You might as well be trying to mail a box of condoms to the moon. Nobody has successfully imported an actual Lupo here. I spent many a long hour on TDIClub bitching about this and getting folks riled up. The 3-cyl. TDI 1.4 and 1.2 are legendary little bastards and EVERYONE wants one for there project. I know of only 2 of these engines in the US. The other is in that semi-famous Honda Insight.

If it's fuel efficiency you're after, stick with the 1.9 or 2.0 common rail. They are readily available and cheaper. I get an honest 50mpg from my bagged Cabrio and I drive it like I'm running from the cops. I run a simple set up: PP520's, stock turbo, Malone 3+, EGR delete, straight exhaust, bumped timing, and I maintain religiously. I have a friend with a 1.6TD in a Scirocco that gets better than 60mpg (although he probably can't keep up with my little bitchbasket).
      Last edited by GreasySideDown; 04-07-2012 at 10:57 PM.
      I am Lord of The Crab People, bow to me.

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      05-21-2012 03:32 AM #12
      SOWO 2012. I didn't see any plates, so I don't know where it is registered.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Golf mk2 84" Audi 100 2,3 Avant 94" Suzuki Swift 1,5 07" Porsche 924S 84"
      05-26-2012 12:42 AM #13
      Thats not a Lupo... Thats a Fox...

Vehicles
      99 Cabrio
      05-27-2012 07:16 PM #14
      Doesn't matter if its a fox or a lupo. How is it there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      97' gti vr6
      05-30-2012 01:39 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Scirocco View Post
      SOWO 2012. I didn't see any plates, so I don't know where it is registered.

I am pretty that this is a lupo. I have talked to the guy a couple of times... I believe he drives it from new mexico area though... I do know he drives a very long way to come to shows... Ive liked this car for a while.

I have also been hearing that they are bring the lupo to the states in 2013. I would like to find out forsure though.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Golf mk2 84" Audi 100 2,3 Avant 94" Suzuki Swift 1,5 07" Porsche 924S 84"
      05-30-2012 05:53 PM #16
      In Europe that is A Fox.... A Lupo is much smaller... (I had one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Fox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Lupo

Not the same car...

Vehicles
      Too many
      12-12-2012 11:01 PM #17
      I know this thread has been dead awhile, but I have wanted to do this also for many years, I did find this, looks like the lupo was already crash tested here, looks like the main hoop to jump through Is the EPA
      http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...htsa-4765.html

Vehicles
      1983 VW Rabbit Turbo Diesel LS
      02-18-2013 04:25 PM #18
      Here in Mexico we have a car called the Lupo... but it is not 'THEE LUPO'... Rather it is in fact a Fox (which is Brazilian). We have another version of it with higher ground clearnance and four doors... it is called the CrossFox.

You cannot go by names of cars here in Mexico... because we often sell the several generations of the same car.... at the moment... we have the Mk4.5 Jetta... called the Jetta Classic... Then we had the Mk5 car called the Bora.... now we have hte Mk6...called the New Jetta.

We have the same confusion with the GOL, Lupo, FOX, POLO, POINTER, Derby... Gets hard to keep track of which car is really which..... The cars sold here hail from Europe, Pueblo MX or Brazil...