Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you deal with kids lying?

1. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      10-02-2012 01:50 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by marknuck311 View Post
      I've told my daughters I won't get mad at them for telling the truth (I might be a little upset, depends on what they're telling me) - but I would never get mad at them for telling the truth.

It's hard, though, because these are young daughters (11, 9, 7) from a first marriage, and they feel the need to lie to cover up what's going on when they're with their mom - I hate it (not that I'm trying to be nosy about what they do with their mom, I'm just curious to what they're doing in general ie. catching up with them), but I don't push the issue anymore.

Now, my 10 yr old step-daughter: different story. She is constantly 'embellishing' her stories - takes 10% of the truth, and fills in the rest - drives me nuts, but not much I can say about that.
      My husband and I are kind of dealing with the same thing with his 7 year old son (my step son). Rather than lie right now, he just pretends he can't remember anything. I mean, you try to ask him anything about his life (to try to see what he does on a daily basis, how he likes school, what he does for fun, etc) and his answer is almost always "I don't remember." I'm sure mom is telling him not to say stuff to us. Kind of sad.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      10-02-2012 02:21 PM #27
      FFJ, I just got into it with my first grader about those same questions/answers. My wife, who's a teacher, said one of her co-workers had a pretty good explanation for that type of answer. Basically, they just got done with a full day of school and don't want to talk about it. It's like asking an adult how their day was as they walk in the door.

I'm not saying this is a one size fits all answer, but it made sense.

3. Member
      10-02-2012 02:48 PM #28
      Agree titleist. My wife loves to bombard our 4 1/2 yo after school with questions and she always replies "I don't know". I try to explain to my wife that even though she is 4 1/2, everyone needs to unwind for a bit.

4. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      10-02-2012 11:42 PM #29
      Interesting info, thanks.

Granted, I'm asking my SS on the weekend (saturday or sunday, since those are the only days we ever see him), but I guess he still may not want to rehash it. He is very different than I ever was as a child, so it's hard for me to know what's "normal". I used to fight with my mom over whose turn it was to talk...I don't shut up.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      10-02-2012 11:56 PM #30
      I don't remember too many Chatty Cathy seven year old boys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12