Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 2556

    Thread: the PRJCT .:R chronicles (iMod.:R BUILD UP)

    1. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2009
      Location
      East Texas
      Posts
      156
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R
      02-20-2012 08:45 AM #71
      How would you compare the evoms to forge's twintake? Gains, noise, fitment... Etc.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      677
      02-20-2012 10:18 AM #72
      I had them both, the EVOMS and ITG are above Twintake, and the Twintake is also more loud.
      I'll be back

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      677
      02-20-2012 10:19 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by iMod.:R View Post
      Here is a pic of the EVOMs intake with engine cover and heat-shield. I was going to leave it boxed up until it goes on the car next week, but like a kid on xmas morning I couldn't resist! I had the EVOMs on my last car and loved it. Mellow sound until you go WOT and it has some grunt to it even before you go with a new exhaust. Two thumbs up on this one

      I don't know if you could still fit the EVOMS engine cover after you install the HEP Stage 2 manifold.
      I'll be back

    4. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2009
      Location
      East Texas
      Posts
      156
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R
      02-20-2012 10:49 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by TEFF View Post
      I had them both, the EVOMS and ITG are above Twintake, and the Twintake is also more loud.
      ITG? ... Also evoms shows gains of 10-15 compared to forge who is claiming 17 ... Also "more loud" louder ! Lol :thumbsup: and I'm not worried about noise honestly ... Just the most gains !

    5. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-20-2012 11:00 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by TEFF View Post
      I don't know if you could still fit the EVOMS engine cover after you install the HEP Stage 2 manifold.
      I have a plan to modify a portion of this cover so I can still use it when the manifold is done being built. Its still a good 3-4 weeks away until the next batch arrives from the machine shop according to HEP. Good lookingout though TEFF.

    6. Member Alive By time's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2006
      Location
      North San Diego
      Posts
      4,838
      Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      02-20-2012 12:15 PM #76
      Does that cover come with the intake?
      Blue One

    7. Member lobuzz311's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 12th, 2011
      Location
      San Jose, CA
      Posts
      917
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2011 Ford Explorer
      02-20-2012 12:24 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by iMod.:R View Post
      Here is a pic of the EVOMs intake with engine cover and heat-shield.

      I'm confused... is the engine cover you got the same one they have listed on the 2010+ R page?
      This is what's shown on their page:


      Did you get something else, or am I missing something?
      2012 Golf R - Candy White 4-door (Build Thread)

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      677
      02-20-2012 01:33 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
      I'm confused... is the engine cover you got the same one they have listed on the 2010+ R page?
      This is what's shown on their page:


      Did you get something else, or am I missing something?
      The engine cover you found has the part number: A3ENGCVRST. It means it's for Audi A3 2.0T.

      I think Jason has this type of engine cover for VW, but without the middle grey part:



      If you will order EVOMS for yours, make sure you specify them that you want their P-Flow for 2.0T K04 cars
      I'll be back

    9. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-20-2012 02:23 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by scottgpt88 View Post
      How would you compare the evoms to forge's twintake? Gains, noise, fitment... Etc.
      I have no experience with the Twintake. It has a very cool design and all, but me rational for going with the EVOMs is simple. I am after 3" plumbing throughout as I am building a car capable of massive power. I thought the EVOMs sounds pretty bad ass without being obnoxious. Best of luck in whatever you choose my man.

      Quote Originally Posted by Alive By time View Post
      Does that cover come with the intake?
      No it's a separate item, but I don't even want to fake the funk about having a TSI engine, LOL!

      Quote Originally Posted by lobuzz311 View Post
      I'm confused... is the engine cover you got the same one they have listed on the 2010+ R page?
      This is what's shown on their page:


      Did you get something else, or am I missing something?
      Yeah, as TEFF pointed out the more slender engine cover is what we would use. You could use a plastic TSI center cover if you'd like, but I kind of dig it as just a raw textured look. PLus its a 1lb less up front in the ol' engine bay right?

      Quote Originally Posted by TEFF View Post
      The engine cover you found has the part number: A3ENGCVRST. It means it's for Audi A3 2.0T.

      I think Jason has this type of engine cover for VW, but without the middle grey part:


      If you will order EVOMS for yours, make sure you specify them that you want their P-Flow for 2.0T K04 cars
      Right on the money, man.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      677
      02-20-2012 02:43 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by iMod.:R View Post
      You could use a plastic TSI center cover if you'd like
      HMMM, you gave me a very good idea. I will order a TSI engine cover
      I'll be back

    11. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-20-2012 03:12 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by TEFF View Post
      HMMM, you gave me a very good idea. I will order a TSI engine cover
      I gave you an idea? That seems backwards


      Here are a couple of straight up art student steez iPhone shots of the cover. Its just thick enough of a gauge of metal to feel substantial without coming off as bulky. I just rested it in the correct place to give the few of you how asked an idea of how it looks. I also just ordered a new set of J-Caps in anodized black today. Im a consumeristical whore right about now.

      OVERVIEW:


      EMBOSSED EVOMs LOGO:

    12. Member AAC Welder's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2011
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      368
      02-20-2012 08:16 PM #82
      I don't know how I feel about the engine cover. Something about it is throwing me off. I think I'd rather see a billet valve cover instead. Do it!
      Engineer @ TriMech Solutions | Certified SolidWorks Expert
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Form Engineer & Weldor @ Advanced Armament Corporation
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      2012 Golf R & 1982 Jetta Coupe

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2009
      Location
      East Texas
      Posts
      156
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R
      02-21-2012 12:50 AM #83
      Ok so I as ordered the twintake a week and half ago ... Accidentally ordered the one for the fsi engine... I wasnt thinking don't judge ... So instead of getting a new one I decided today I would just make my own parts! ... It didn't come with a dv nipple connection and the side brack inlet for the intake didn't fit spot on soo I did some fabricating ... Pics of the bolt on nipple I made !











      ---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.527163,-94.764345

    14. Member darthfurther's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2008
      Posts
      236
      Vehicles
      Golf R 4D Candy White F.L.
      02-21-2012 01:24 AM #84
      Hey scott so wich twintake is the right one i thought its the fsi one?

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      677
      02-21-2012 05:17 AM #85
      If you have GTI 6 you need the TSI one. If you have R you need the FSI one for K04
      I'll be back

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2011
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      2,101
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R; 2012 Tiguan SEL
      02-21-2012 08:31 AM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by scottgpt88 View Post
      Ok so I as ordered the twintake a week and half ago ... Accidentally ordered the one for the fsi engine... I wasnt thinking don't judge ... So instead of getting a new one I decided today I would just make my own parts! ... It didn't come with a dv nipple connection and the side brack inlet for the intake didn't fit spot on soo I did some fabricating ... Pics of the bolt on nipple I made !
      That is an impressive piece of fabricating right there. Wow.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R (Build Thread)
      2012 Night Blue Tiguan SEL w/ Premium Nav

    17. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2009
      Location
      East Texas
      Posts
      156
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R
      02-21-2012 08:48 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      That is an impressive piece of fabricating right there. Wow.
      Thank you kind sir ! It works great too !

    18. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-21-2012 10:44 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by TLud View Post
      That is an impressive piece of fabricating right there. Wow.
      Uh yeeeaah! Damn man color me impressed. Do you do fab work out of necessity/hobby or is it related to your career. Its nicely done for sure.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2009
      Location
      East Texas
      Posts
      156
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf .:R
      02-21-2012 10:58 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by iMod.:R View Post
      Uh yeeeaah! Damn man color me impressed. Do you do fab work out of necessity/hobby or is it related to your career. Its nicely done for sure.
      Well I love working with metal, but i am a pump and compressor mechanic, so fabricating is used frequently on the job. Here's a picture holder I made my ex girlfriend for Valentine's. It swivels on two really small thrust washer bearing.




      But you were right, the twintake is pretty loud... But I listen to loud music so you really can't hear it !

    20. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-21-2012 07:50 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by scottgpt88 View Post
      Well I love working with metal, but i am a pump and compressor mechanic, so fabricating is used frequently on the job. Here's a picture holder I made my ex girlfriend for Valentine's. It swivels on two really small thrust washer bearing.

      I am having a hell of a time finding someone out here that fabs fuel cells and that sort of thing. I need to find someone out here who does your level of work and doesn't charge race team style prices. Its gonna be fun to see what else you come up with for the R out of your workshop.

    21. Member darthfurther's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2008
      Posts
      236
      Vehicles
      Golf R 4D Candy White F.L.
      02-22-2012 03:08 AM #91
      Ooohh ok teff i was confused becouse he owns an R but ty hey teff you said you had both, twintake and the one you show in your thread sou for you whos got the best intake so far??

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      677
      02-22-2012 05:42 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by darth****** View Post
      Ooohh ok teff i was confused becouse he owns an R but ty hey teff you said you had both, twintake and the one you show in your thread sou for you whos got the best intake so far??
      My mistake, i had Twintake on a previous car with 2.0TSI engine. I had the first Skoda Octavia 2 RS in the world with the twintake, and i had a lot of problems )

      ITG and EVOMS are the best imo. I've tried them both and had similar results
      I'll be back

    23. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-22-2012 10:23 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by TEFF View Post
      ITG and EVOMS are the best imo. I've tried them both and had similar results
      In my opinion, if TEFF says he's tried out a handful of intakes and the EVOMs was one of his favorites, I feel pretty good about picking one up.

    24. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-22-2012 02:56 PM #94
      In an effort to make this build thread more interesting to follow, I propose we start a sweet ash little game called: "What the frick is that?"

      It works like this I'll take some macro shots like the ones below of the gear I am putting on the PRJCT.:R and if anyone wants to take a stab at figuring out what we are all looking at it may end up making this whole thread more interactive with my VW brethren and sistren....

      {ROUND 1}
      First one up, arrived the day before yesterday:





      Whose got first crack at this one, yo?
      Last edited by iMod.:R; 02-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.

    25. Member timmiller05's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2010
      Location
      Bellingham WA
      Posts
      2,187
      Vehicles
      Audi 90 & Sportwagen sold... now 95.5 urS6 Avant
      02-22-2012 03:06 PM #95
      Clutch release bearing


      What do I win?

    26. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,493
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      02-22-2012 04:41 PM #96
      have you decided on what wheels your going to run? Those retro HREs are tempting me but i would only get the 504s or whatever the ferrari looking ones are. However I wouldnt get them if you were, have some other ideas so its not a big deal
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    27. Member GTI0811's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2007
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      279
      Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R
      02-22-2012 04:48 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by scottgpt88 View Post
      Ok so I as ordered the twintake a week and half ago ... Accidentally ordered the one for the fsi engine... I wasnt thinking don't judge ... So instead of getting a new one I decided today I would just make my own parts! ... It didn't come with a dv nipple connection and the side brack inlet for the intake didn't fit spot on soo I did some fabricating ... Pics of the bolt on nipple I made !



      ---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.527163,-94.764345

      NICE WELDS!!

    28. Member casperslost's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 21st, 2009
      Location
      Houston and East Texas
      Posts
      447
      Vehicles
      2012 R
      02-22-2012 04:57 PM #98
      You don't want those ones dutch!

    29. Member AAC Welder's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2011
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      368
      02-22-2012 04:58 PM #99
      Why the new slave and clutch release bearing?
      Engineer @ TriMech Solutions | Certified SolidWorks Expert
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Form Engineer & Weldor @ Advanced Armament Corporation
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      2012 Golf R & 1982 Jetta Coupe

    30. Member AudiA4_18T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2006
      Location
      Fort Lauderdale, FL
      Posts
      1,986
      02-22-2012 05:12 PM #100
      YGPM!

    31. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-22-2012 09:52 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by timmiller05 View Post
      Clutch release bearing


      What do I win?
      Dang it Tim, you nailed that one in less than 10 minutes, LOL! I'd get you a prize of some sort, but I'm headed to Brokeville whilst fulfilling my modding obsession.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      have you decided on what wheels your going to run? Those retro HREs are tempting me but i would only get the 504s or whatever the ferrari looking ones are. However I wouldnt get them if you were, have some other ideas so its not a big deal
      Yeah, they are the 505's and I made the decision to dunk them. I put in my order today but I still say you should do a set too and we'll hold down the East and West coasts HRE Vintage style.

      Quote Originally Posted by casperslost View Post
      You don't want those ones dutch!
      Oh man, have you got your eyes on them too? Seriously those things are tight, can't wait to get em popped on.

      Quote Originally Posted by AAC Welder View Post
      Why the new slave and clutch release bearing?
      Well, I have some lofty goals for this car power-wise and I don't think the standard clutch-pack will be able to put up with the juice I'm going after. So I am just being paranoid, or careful...

    32. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-22-2012 11:47 PM #102
      So without further adieu As Tim guessed it, this episode of "What the frick is that?" is indeed a South Bend DxD Stage 4 clutch. The postman, guy tossed it on my porch yesterday. This should hold the power just fine.

      The box full of gnarlyness, is a cool.


      Quit grindin' yer teeth!


      This thing is no joke. I respect the hell out of it just as it is.

    33. Member AAC Welder's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2011
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      368
      02-22-2012 11:55 PM #103
      I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this clutch. The noise coming from my dual mass flywheel is unsettling. A nice solid steel flywheel would make me feel much better. Have an specs for us?
      Engineer @ TriMech Solutions | Certified SolidWorks Expert
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Form Engineer & Weldor @ Advanced Armament Corporation
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      2012 Golf R & 1982 Jetta Coupe

    34. Member Dutchmastr9's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2004
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      17,493
      Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      02-23-2012 12:24 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by iMod.:R View Post

      Yeah, they are the 505's and I made the decision to dunk them. I put in my order today but I still say you should do a set too and we'll hold down the East and West coasts HRE Vintage style.



      Oh man, have you got your eyes on them too? Seriously those things are tight, can't wait to get em popped on.
      you put the order in? thats awesome, i cant wait to see how they turn out for you. I think im just gonna stick to my original plan, ive been wanting those all last year so why not
      You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

      Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

    35. Member iMod.:R's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2005
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,242
      Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      02-23-2012 02:59 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
      Loved following your TTS build - can't wait to see what you do with a Golf R (while I wait for mine to get here)
      Thanks man. So what do you have coming exactly? 2 or 4 door and what color? Base or loaded?

      Quote Originally Posted by AAC Welder View Post
      I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this clutch. The noise coming from my dual mass flywheel is unsettling. A nice solid steel flywheel would make me feel much better. Have an specs for us?
      It feels like forever til these parts can go on, but the boys at Tomas had to clear out two bays to work on the TTS and the .:R simultaneously. I hope to know soon and will report back as far as specs, I will get all that up sometime tomorrow as well. Quality is A+++

      Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmastr9 View Post
      you put the order in? thats awesome, i cant wait to see how they turn out for you. I think im just gonna stick to my original plan, ive been wanting those all last year so why not
      Can you spill the beans about what wheels you got cookin' or do you want to surprise us? Im a bit of a wheelwhore, so It's always good to hear what others are doing.
      Last edited by iMod.:R; 02-23-2012 at 03:05 AM.

    Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •